Amph The Style of Spielberg

Discussion in 'Community' started by StarDude, Apr 18, 2006.

1. JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master

star 5
    Solojones reported in another thread that Hanks passed on the project without even reading the script. I can see why. He's already been called "the new Jimmy Stewart" for a lot of years now, it would have been too obvious a choice, though earlier in the thread I believe I thought that's exactly who Spielberg would cast. Hanks could have given the greatest performance in the world and yet people would have said, "Hanks for years we've been saying you're our era's Jimmy Stewart, well we've seen your performance in Harvey and Tom, you're no Jimmy Stewart." He would inevitably suffer by comparison.

Downey on the hand, assuming the update on the script is interesting and fresh, seems to me an inspired choice. I think it's even possible that this piece of casting is what may have given Spielberg the confidence to go through with this. Who could do a better job?
  2. Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece

star 8
    Downey Jr is an inspired choice for sure. He could find the edge Stewart had without losing the charm. Much better idea than Hanks.
  3. JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master

star 5

I think Spielberg has had a history of choosing the perfect actor for the perfect role.
    Whether it's a talent for casting, intuition or sheer luck, it's happened more than once.

Dennis Weaver was great for Duel. Francois Truffaut for Close Encounters was inspired.
    Henry Thomas for E.T. Christian Bale for Empire of the Sun. Sean Connery for Indy's Dad in the Last Crusade.

Perhaps this will be another one of those great choices. Time will tell.
  4. Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece

star 8
    True. The only scenes in that movie that did anything for me were the ones with Truffaut.
  5. JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master

star 5

The shortest Spielberg film ever. Can you imagine this guy's shock?

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1BQH52pmM4]Spielberg's grab for power![/link]

6. Zaz Jedi Knight

star 9
    According to imdb, Spielberg has 12 projects in production and 17 'in development'
  7. Nevermind Jedi Knight

star 6
    [link=http://www.thewrap.com/movies/column-post/joseph-gordon-levitt-tommy-lee-jones-and-many-many-more-negotiations-steven-spielbergs--0]Casting for Spielberg's new Lincoln movie[/link]

Daniel Day-Lewis and Sally Field! There's an odd couple. Poor Mary Lincoln was mentally ill, for one thing.
  8. JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master

star 5
    That's quite a line-up they're considering. Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Hal Holbrook and Tommy Lee Jones! Spielberg's going first class on the cast, as he usually does. Great article.
  9. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    The presence of Bruce McGill shall negate the lameness of Tim Blake Nelson.

I am excite.
  10. Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece

star 8
    I think Sally Field is kind of inspired casting. Also, as Tim Blake Nelson is a local boy, I must stand up for him. Tulsa Town, reprazent! :p
  11. Nevermind Jedi Knight

star 6
    [link=http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2011/08/30/raiders-of-the-lost-ark-with-steven-spielberg-qa-on-Sept-12/]An anniversary showing of "Raiders" with Steven Spielberg[/link]

If anyone here lives in LA, they might want to check this out...
  12. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Jurassic Park is getting a limited re-release on the 23rd of September....

...In England. It's for the release of the trilogy on blu-ray.
  13. madman007 Jedi Master

star 4
    Don't forget Liam Neeson in Schindler's List! I don't care if Neeson goes on to The A-Team part 4, his best and most honorable role will always be Oskar Schindler! [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpXQ-zBOS44&feature=related]One life saves the world entire[/link]

As far as a Raiders Anniversary, bring it on! The first Raiders will always be a classic. Trust me!
  14. Nevermind Jedi Knight

star 6
    Also: Leonardo diCaprio in "Catch Me if You Can"

However, he's had slip-ups, too: most notably "Always", in which all three leads manage to be unappealing/boring/neurotic [choose one]
  15. madman007 Jedi Master

star 4
    As hokey as Always was, it will always be sentimental to me because it was my all time favorite actress's last role; Audrey. Do you need her last name? Ironically, she played a heavenly being, which she truly was all her life.
  16. Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece

star 8
    I got to see Raiders on the big screen last year at a local theater. Spielberg wasn't there, of course, but seriously, Raiders back on the big screen just reaffirmed the failure that was Crystal Skull.
  17. SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London

star 8
    Jurassic Park is also getting a re-release, although not for its anniversary (which is 2013). I would be pleased to see on the big screen since I was too young when it originally came out.
  18. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Yes, England wins...THIS TIME. :p

Did Jaws get an anniversary re-release? I know there was a soundtrack release and a bunch of other hoopla (DVD and such) but I can't remember if it was back in theatres or not.
  19. SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London

star 8
    I don't know. I recall the 30th Anniversary DVD but I don't recall it being in cinemas, I don't think ET was either even though there was a remastered version of the film made.
  20. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
    ET was; still trying to find out if Jaws did.

Apparently Universal is "strongly considering" a 3-D remake of Jaws after the success of Avatar:

[link=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaws_(film)#Releases.2C_sequels_and_merchandise]Jaws: Releases, Sequels, and Merchandise[/link]

God, I hope not. I can't think of three actors alive today who could possibly pull together as well as Schieder, Dreyfuss, and Shaw did.
  21. SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London

star 8
    Why remake it? They could just release another stupid sequel like they did with JAWS 3D.

Shark Night looks like it could be a modern version of that, like Piranha was.
  22. Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece

star 8
    Lord, what a dreadful idea. I mean, how many shark movies have been made since Jaws? And how many have been even a third as good as Jaws? None. What makes them think this remake would be any better?
  23. JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master

star 5
    Agreed. Why in the world would Avatar influence someone to remake Jaws?

Jaws is a much beloved, classic movie the world over. I think a crowd with pitchforks would be at Universal's front gate if they did that. They did a remake of Psycho and look what happened!
  24. JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master

star 5

If you've never seen this before, you are in for an experience, as was Spielberg himself.

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAuDggJPOv8]Jiminy Glick interviews Mr. Spielberg[/link]
  25. Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece

star 8
    That was brilliant. Spielberg's reactions were priceless; I especially liked his reaction to the argument about The Money Pit. "I saw it and you only produced it." Good stuff.