main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Style of Spielberg

Discussion in 'Community' started by StarDude, Apr 18, 2006.

1. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    What's that ludicrous Kael quote about Spielberg? Something about how he used to be a "boy soprano lilting with joy?"

Anyway, one of the things that Spielberg is most about is the 'father' relationship. Check his films; it's in almost all of them.

2. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Never heard that quote before.

And yes, it's the parent-child relationship that fascinates him. Can you remember a film of his that's actually about a relationship between a man and woman? Because I can't.

3. Indiana_Fett

Indiana_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 12, 2004
  4. lovelucas

lovelucas Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2004
    and that's with Richard Dreyfus as well -

re: Close Encounters - my entire family loved the original version but the special edition really took a lot of the heart out of the film for me, choosing to focus so much on the arguing parents, where the wife is screaming at her husband constantly plus they eliminated the mountain of mashed potatoes becoming the huge replica in the living room...and...Richard's character "borrowing" the chicken wire, thus releasing the pet ducks/chickens of the neighbors, to construct that Devil's Tower in the living room. I did like the additional scenes at the beginning where we saw something mystical was happening all over the world but I actually didn't like adding the scenes where we board the spaceship - I much preferred imagining what that was like -

and "When you wish upon a star" is in the film, but via TV.

another special spot: that Steven cast Truffant ~ I'm so sorry he's no longer with us.

5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The mothership sequence is gorgeous, but my favorite, already mentioned, is when the "headlights" behind his truck go up.

6. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004

Tremendous credit needs to be given to director of photography Vilmos Zsigmond for his work with Steven on both THE SUGARLAND EXPRESS and CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND.

Spielberg's demands on a DP are HUGE. He endlessly comes up with
    inventive and technically difficult shots that are a pain to do,
    involving all kinds of issues relating to focus, camera movement,
    etc. Vilmos met the challenge on both movies beautifully, and on
    CE 3K, he not only gave the film a GREAT look, but he also had the
    challenges of working with the special efx team and trying to match up
    his work with theirs. If memory serves me correctly, Vilmos won an
    Academy Award for his work on CE3K, and it was richly deserved.

A good example of shot that looks simple on the screen but was hard to
    do is at the base camp at Devil's Tower Wyoming when the people are sitting
    in the helicopter and the camera PULLS THROUGH THE HELICOPTER and comes
    out the other side. The amount of space in the helicopter is very limited,
    and pulling a camera from exterior to interior, then back to exterior creates lighting
    exposure issues. It worked beautifully but I've read it was a huge pain to do.
    But that's what makes Spielberg a special director. (That shot would be easier to
    do today, but at the time, it was a challenge.)

(Vilmos also did awesome work on the Deer Hunter.)

7. TheBoogieMan

TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 14, 2001
    Indeed, but no longer in the score.

8. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Which is again a travesty. One of Williams' finest moments, that quote. Beauty beyond measure.

Is it still on the newest CD release?

9. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001
    Agreed. I still haven't seen it in-film, only heard it on my copy of the score. Which I believe is the latest edition, Rogue, if that answers your question.

10. Palpateen

Palpateen Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 26, 2000

I think Spielberg's work with Cary Guffey in CLOSE ENCOUNTERS was phenomenal.
    It was foreshadowing for how great his work would be with kids in E.T., Empire
    of the Sun and Artificial Intelligence.

11. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001
    Yes, speaking of his work with kids, I just watched "Empire of the Sun". Christian Bale was phenomenal.

12. Indiana_Fett

Dec 12, 2004
    Too bad none of this transferred over to Hook.

13. StarDude

StarDude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 28, 2001
    The kids in Hook were fine.

14. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Spielberg generally knows how to direct children; perhaps because he has more than a few in real life.

15. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    Hook was off though, that's for sure.

16. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001
    I still haven't seen 'Hook'.

Perhaps it is time that this thread got a new film to talk about.

17. Indiana_Fett

Dec 12, 2004
    Hook is a good film to watch, but Jack and Maggie's characters are really uninteresting to me, and it might have been a bit more enjoyable if the kids actually killed more than two pirates, and bumping it up to a PG13 rating.

18. StarDude

Nov 28, 2001
    On to 1941!

[image=http://optimusfilms.20m.com/directors/ss/w.1941.jpg]

Generally considered to be by far Spielberg's worst movie, the film was a modest box office success, however it has been deemed as a flop in comparison to Spielberg's two previous movies: Jaws and Close Encounters of the Third Kind.

The film's premise deals with the aftermath of the Pearl Harbor attacks and a panic-stricken Los Angeles. Hillarity (or lack thereof) pursues.

A couple little facts for everyone: After the movie's release, Stanley Kubrick told Spielberg that he should ahve marketed it as a drama.

Both John Wayne and Charlton Heston were offered the role of General Stilwell. Wayne phoned director Steven Spielberg, who had given him the script, and not only turned it down due to ill health but tried to get Spielberg to drop the project. Wayne felt it was unpatriotic and a slap in the face to WWII vets. Heston is thought to have turned it down for the same reasons.

Having watched this movie recently, it's the only Spielberg movie I've come to loathe. Unfunny. Boring. Painful to watch.

Discuss.

19. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    This is Spielberg trying to be John Landis, because if there's a movie this actively resembles, it's "The Blues Brothers". And like that movie, there are some good things: the USO dance sequence and the ferris wheel bit; but farce takes an extremely sure hand and intimate knowledge of comedy techniques to carry off successfully. Spielberg later admitted that the production got away from him--no kidding. Like "The Blues Brothers" the whole thing is overscaled and very cartoon-like, and without the turn-on-a-dime technique necessary, it often just seems loud.

A misfire. A very well-made misfire.

20. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004
    This is Spielberg trying to be John Landis, because if there's a movie this actively resembles, it's "The Blues Brothers". And like that movie, there are some good things: the USO dance sequence and the ferris wheel bit; but farce takes an extremely sure hand and intimate knowledge of comedy techniques to carry off successfully. Spielberg later admitted that the production got away from him--no kidding. Like "The Blues Brothers" the whole thing is overscaled and very cartoon-like, and without the turn-on-a-dime technique necessary, it often just seems loud.

A misfire. A very well-made misfire.

You're right that entire USO sequence was superbly filmed. Spielberg definitely
    knows his movie history. I also liked the stuff with Christopher Lee and Slim Pickens on the Japanese sub. Robert Stack turns in a great performance.

I agree Zaz. Quite possibly one of the most professionally crafted and produced
    failures in Hollywood history. Of course by that time, Spielberg could command
    the biggest budgets and the best production talent of any director.

I thought it resembled It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World to some extent.

21. StarDude

Nov 28, 2001
    Next up, the big one: Raiders of the Lost

[image=http://uashome.alaska.edu/~jndfg20/website/raiders.jpg]

Easily one of the best and most influential adventure films of all time. The collaboration between Lucas and Spielberg is historic, and considering the demand for a fourth Raiders film, you can bet that this film is now ingrained in the American film canon and will pass the test of time to be one of Spielberg's classics.

Had Spielberg followed up 1941 with another disappointment, he'd have to struggle and probably go back to a more Jaws-like thriller (see the position M. Night Shyamalan is in right now). In my opinion, this, along with its follow-up E.T. the Extra-terrestrial, is what catapulted Spielberg from a very good filmmaker to a very great filmmaker.

Discuss.

22. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    I would agree. He has had the ability to sustain a career, and a rare ability it is these days.

This is a sinfully enjoyable movie.

23. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001
    This is absolutely brilliant. One of my all-time favourite films. From the iconic rolling boulder to the hilarious way Indy disposes of the sword-wielder, to the great fight on the tarmac... it's just perfect. Also, the girl in this one is by far the greatest Indy-girl.

Just raw, unadulterated fun.

24. ZNichols

ZNichols Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 21, 2006
    The punch, it's all about the punch.

It sounds like someone smacking a slab of meat with a baseball bat.

25. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    it is a perfect film from start to finish. seemingly every scene is iconic, as is every line.