main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT The success of the Sequel Trilogy could immensely boost the feelings around the PT

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Jedi_Lantern, Nov 30, 2014.

1. Jedi_Lantern

Jedi_Lantern Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 3, 2013
    Whether you like or dislike the PT, it's a divisive set of films that have put the ST movies in a unique spot where they really need to deliver. Disney didn't spend $4 billion dollars for a new PT situation

I was thinking, if the ST really corrects the course of the Star Wars ship, I feel the PT will be looked back at much more fondly, and strengths those movies featured (music, artistic design of some of the planets and scenery, etc) will be given more recognition. If the ST movies do what's needed, there will be a sense of relief, where shortcomings of the PT are seen as water under the bridge

I love the look of a lot of TPM's set pieces, mainly Naboo.

[​IMG]

The N64/PS1/DC Phantom Menace games were always so beautiful to me, largely in part to locations from or inspired by the artistic direction of TPM

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sorry if this sort of thread has already been made

Darth Dominikkus and Cryogenic like this.
  2. Alienware

Alienware Jedi Master star 3

Apr 19, 2013
    I hope so.

But I think the most likely scenario (if the sequels are acclaimed) is that it brings on-board new fans who will go back and watch the previous 6 films. And hopefully they will not put them in two different baskets, but rather view them as a whole. I think that's one of the ways in which the ST can prevent the fan-base from dividing even further.

3. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I doubt I-III will become more appreciated, but it would be nice if at least the idea of them and what they tried to do will become more accepted. I'm thinking of the type of sweeping dismissals that say the PT "doesn't count," or that Lucas had no business moving away from frontier locations and including "cute" stuff, sleek, shiny stuff, scenes where characters sat still and conversed, etc--it would be refreshing if maybe some of this stuff could die down a bit. And if nothing else, see Lucas get some credit for doing his own thing one last time before he passed his work on to others.

4. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Some viewing each trilogy as different is pretty unavoidable. However, I commend the OP for desiring easing of tensions via the ST. So do I though I am wary it will cause fresh fissures but as it is now, if it happens it will reflect more on the fans than the films.

sarlaccsaurs-rex and Cryogenic like this.
  5. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    I think that, no matter what, the ST will only further divide the fanbase

People who hate the PT and love the OT and ST, feeling it's a good successor to their favoured trilogy
    People who love the PT and OT but hate the ST, feeling it's an unfaithful continuation
    People who love the OT only, being disappointed by everything else
    People who hate SW

There's really just no way to know for sure what will happen until 2019, or rather, a little after that. Give the ST time to sink in and gain reactions

6. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Jon, are you intentionally skipping some options or are they just the ones off the top of your head?

7. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Those were the ones that first came to mind

Yet ironically, I forgot "people who love the OT, PT, and ST" which is where I predict I'm personally going to land
    I suppose I should also have included "loves PT only" and "loves PT and ST but not OT" also. Lol I just woke up like literally 5 minutes ago. Flarfle

8. Jedi_Lantern

Jedi_Lantern Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 3, 2013
    You guys do bring up a good point in that the ST may just farther fuel disdain for the PT. Possibly even much more-so if the ST is bad or not up to par with expectations. If the ST were to be of poor quality, it could just feed the frustration and hate fans against the PT feel. Disney has done such a good job with their Marvel movies though, I just don't see the ST being anything less than solid, so I don't think the ST disappointing general expectations is likely

I'm just a casual SW fan, so my emotions aren't too high for any of these movies. Soon the mainline SW movies (not including the spin-offs) will feature 9 movies over three trilogies. I'm not expecting to love all 9 of those films. I can understand from a film-making perspective (or any perspective) how many might feel the PT is anything from awful to not very good. But I can have fun when I occasionally watch the prequel trilogy movies. I have no grudge towards them and there are things about them I legitimately love and like

I've heard rumors of an Obi-Wan spin-off (wasn't there a poll Obi-Wan won on the official site asking about who should have a solo film?). Canon-wise I really don't know how much freedom is available for story telling and Obi-Wan in between episode 3 and 4. I think it might be very interesting to see an Obi-Wan spin-off set some time during the prequel trilogy. Revisiting the prequel trilogy's look with lessons learned on acting and story telling with some of the success in presentation we may be seeing in the sequel trilogy (a marriage of practical effects and CGI) with Ewan McGregor reprising his Obi-Wan role would be pretty awesome IMO.

9. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    Unfortunately, I can already see the "ST is how it should have been done, Lucas had no clue what he was doing with the PT" comments coming. :/

But I would absolutely love for the OT's theory to be true.

10. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    At best, I think there will be no change to how people feel about the PT. Most likely, it will make people's views on the PT more entrenched.

11. Commander Krix

Commander Krix Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    I agree with Bazinga'd. I don't really see the ST boosting the feelings for the PT, but who really knows. All we have is our opinion for now.

I'll be landing in there most likely.

12. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    Considering how nasty the comments are about the PT, my feeling is at this point is pretty pessimistic. Either people will say the ST is great and it proves how terrible GL and PT is or they will hate the ST too. I think i already saw one of the nuts over at aintitcool claiming Abrams could become and even greater 'villain' or something than Lucas [face_frustrated]

13. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    I was thinking that.

People could then look back and blame the PT by claiming "that's when the rot truly set in".

Equally, as has been said, the ST could be successful, well-liked, etc., and then the PT is scorned even more strongly, whose alleged wretchedness is only more obvious in light of two superior trilogies.

But I do like the more optimistic speculation. It's hard to say quite what will happen. But probably, success will lead to a more positive appraisal or grudging acceptance overall, particularly since a whole new trilogy will likely usher in millions of new fans who don't even understand the divide, much less choose to reject an entire block of films -- films that lay the foundation.

14. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    My guess is we will hear the following: "The ST was awesome. Thats what we expected for the PT"

I am not saying that line of thought isnt non sequitur, but my bet is thats what will happen.

15. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Yeah I agree....I think if the ST is well recieved it won't change the minds of the PT haters....they will just say that's how the PT should have been.

16. sarlaccsaurs-rex

sarlaccsaurs-rex Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 10, 2007
    We also have to factor in how much media has changed since the early 2000's. At the time of the PT the internet was in its adolescence at the time, not the infancy it was in the 90's by any means, but still far from the beast it has become since 2006-Present. With social media, youtube being a mainstream thing, and general geek culture being more socially acceptable now in the form of hipsters. It will be interesting to see how this effects the ST reaction.

If anything with people being more critical these days and media (movie/gaming/music) overload, people may be even more willing to rip on the ST for the sake of rose tinted glasses for episodes 1-6.

On the other hand if the new films are awesome they may give even more ammunition to people that bash the PT.

I'm just hoping the ST with unite the fanbase and bring the three trilogies together as a whole.

Pensivia and Cushing's Admirer like this.
  17. El Jedi Colombiano

El Jedi Colombiano Chosen One star 6

Jun 24, 2013
    It's possible that a few of the folks who didn't like the PT will say that the ST delivered where the PT didn't and they will bash it even more.

However, I think the vast majority of the haters will hate the ST and the PT as well. I just don't see that changing, even if this new film has stormtroopers, X wings and the Big 3. I mean, these are the same people who hated Crystal Skull, and Indy was still played by Harrison. (There are already some disappointed with the CG in the trailer).

Still, at the end of the day I don't think this will "matter". My experience outside of the Internet, is that the vast majority of people I know (both young and old) genuinely like the PT. Especially outside of the English-speaking nations.

18. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Worst-case scenario: "That ST is so awful that now the PT doesn't seem so bad."

El Jedi Colombiano likes this.
  19. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I can see the "Sequel Trilogy is everything the Prequels should have been! Lucas should have handed it off to the Mouse a long, long time ago! Lucas sucks! Prequels suck! Blah! Blah!" option happening. I won't be surprised if it does, but probably disappointed.

Now I'm hoping that it will bridge fans together and maybe people will like or at least be at peace with the Prequels. Especially if it were to use somethings from the PT. Like continuing the Chosen One storyline, Plagueis, or something like that.

20. smoothkaz

smoothkaz Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 25, 2014
    As much as it pains me, I doubt the prequels will be looked upon kindly anytime soon, regardless of how the ST is received. They're hated more than ever. I can always hope though.

21. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I like most of the PT, and for that reason I'm hoping the ST won't use the Chosen One storyline or make any references to Anakin being immaculately conceived.

I'd like the ST to use what I do like about the PT. Have a Gungan warrior or something. Or some reference to Naboo or the Naberries. Or Shmi. Or the PT Jedi referenced in a positive way.

22. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011

I agree, sadly. I've made my peace with the fact that the prequels are always going to be the "black sheep" of Star Wars. The only thing I can think of that would make people look more kindly on them is after George Lucas dies -- people tend to be more willing to positively re-evaluate upon death. But I don't want Lucas to die just so that PT hatred will dissipate a bit. It's honestly not that big of a deal.

23. sarlaccsaurs-rex

sarlaccsaurs-rex Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 10, 2007
    I like that Idea. I am also fond of that sketchy rumor or Gwendoline Christi as a count Dooku relative of some sort, or the theory of Plagueis reincarnated. But I know my hopes of these things are far fetched. Seriously think of it... OT and PT imagery and plot points intertwined... Now that would be incredible.

Cushing's Admirer likes this.
  24. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    I think wishful thinking has already gotten the new movie more positive attention than the PT, in the eyes of the vocal but misguided. Like this for example.
    [​IMG]
    Like did that minute long teaser really convince people that it would immediately live up to all expectations set by the OT? Honestly, the effects and look of it could easily be placed within Revenge of the Sith. But yet people are saying "wow look at the lack of CGI!" Facepalm. The people who want to continue hating the prequels will do just that, and will probably use the new movie as leverage in some way.

Though that pretty much speaks for what's thrown around on the internet. Actual people in real life (young and old) probably will probably just look at the prequels as part of the series after this. Though then again that doesn't really apply to the topic, as the overwhelming negative rep just comes from loudmouths like RedLetterMedia and mindless followers. Not to single out people with an actual opinion, but I see too many people just regurgitating whatever he says as if its fact.

25. maychild

maychild Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 16, 2013
    It would be nice if some of the tension-easing acknowledged that there are many people who do like the prequels. We hear all day, every day about the people that hated them. They're the only SW fans the media bothers to pay attention to and they dominate every message board in existence. But the people who like the prequels are ignored or dismissed as stupid, in denial, unable to recognize what a good movie is, etc.