main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Awards The Summer 2002 Fan Fiction Awards Nominees

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Melyanna, May 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Melyanna

Melyanna Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    Hello, everyone. It's the moment you've been waiting for (well, some of you have, I don't know about the rest of you ;) ) - the Summer 2002 Fan Fiction Awards Nominees! Before I begin, a few notes:

Due to unforeseeable circumstances, I will be unable to host the awards ceremony. Once voting begins, I will no longer be involved with the awards. Your hostesses will be Pallas-Athena and Sticks.

Voting begins on Monday, May 27, 2002. So why am I starting this thread? In an effort to make this a little less like a popularity contest, I have contacted each nominated author and gotten an excerpt from the nominated stories. (Those of you who haven't sent me your excerpts yet still have time... *ahem* ;) ) They will appear here, and I'll be posting some of them over the next few days. At the end of that time, I'll tell you who you're sending the votes to. ;)

And so, here are the nominees...

For Best Alternate Universe story:

Ascension of the Queen by ami-padme and JediGaladriel

If the Mask Fits: The Calm Before the Storm by Amidala_Skywalker

The Circle by Lisse

Galaxy's Reflection by padawan lunetta

To Stop the Suns From Setting by Pallas-Athena

Negotiations with Destiny by Queengodess

Whispers in the Night by Qwi_Xux

Catch by Tahiri

For Best Drama story:

Family Portrait by JediGaladriel

In the Wake of Glory by Melyanna

Into the Unknown by Melyanna

For Best Action story:

Episode II: Duel of the Fates by Darth_Tim

Star Wars Episode II: The Calm Before by Jedi-Jae

Return of a Hero by JM-Anakin-Solo

A Little Fall of Rain by Marawannabe

The New Empire by Sebulba2179

For Best Romance story:

Blue Orchids by ArnaKyle

AU Handmaiden Stories by JazzyJedi

Resistance by Jedi_Jaina_Durron

Getting Over It by val solo

For Best Original Character story:

Of Courage and Heart by Amidala_Skywalker

Legacy by Mcily_Nochi

In the Wake of Glory by Melyanna

Galaxy's Reflection by padawan lunetta

For Best Jedi Apprentice story:

Eirtaé's Story by Obischick

An Anthem Deferred by The Musical Jedi

For Best Prequel Trilogy story:

If the Mask Fits: Chosen One by Amidala_Skywalker

Episode II: Duel of the Fates by Darth_Tim

Star Wars Episode II: The Calm Before by Jedi-Jae

More Than Shadows by princess-sari

For Best Original Trilogy story:

Ascension of the Queen by ami-padme and JediGaladriel

"A Portrait of Perfection" by ArnaKyle

Hearts Are Meant To by KnightMara

For Best Intertrilogy story:

Ruins of Love by DarthIshtar and Melyanna

Shades of Gold by Shara_82

For Best Post-Return of the Jedi story:

Without Honor, There Is Nothing by Booster-1986

So a Princess and an Assassin Walk into a Bar by JediLeiaSolo and TreeCave

A Little Fall of Rain by Marawannabe

Negotiations with Destiny by Queengodess

For Best New Jedi Order story:

Memoirs by Gr-Adm-Thrawn

The Darkness Shaped by J_K_Dart

Shadows of a Past Long Forgotten by padawan lunetta

2. flying_fishi

flying_fishi Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 26, 2002
    Melyana, I don't mean to be nitpicky but "Reciprocy" by Gr-Admiral-Thrawn is a vignette, not a short story.

3. Melyanna

Jul 19, 2001
    Best Drama

*~*~*~*

from Family Portrait by JediGaladriel

[Anakin] was already in his room, but the door was open, and Obi-Wan went inside. Anakin was sitting on his own window seat in an unknowing mimicry, but unlike Siri, he smiled when Obi-Wan came in. He'd obviously been trying to meditate on his own, but hadn't gotten very far... He had tied back his hair and unfolded his padawan braid to its full length (it was on the room side, but Obi-Wan turned down the window light anyway, to avoid any chance of its being seen).

Obi-Wan sat down across from him, on the other end of the window seat. "You really should keep the braid hidden, Anakin, even in our home."

"I know. I'll put it back. It's pretty simple."

"And meditating in a window is possibly not our best approach."

He looked pained. "I didn't think about that. It's just so quiet and pretty. And these guys wouldn't know meditating if they tripped over it." He took a quick, guilty glance out the window, and folded his braid up to tuck into the ponytail. "No one's out back. It's just Daj's back there, and I don't see anyone left outside."

There was no point in belaboring the issue; Anakin understood what was wrong. "You seemed upset when you came home."

"I'm okay."

"What was troubling you? Siri thought perhaps you were having difficulty with some of the sentiments expressed here? "

Anakin made a comical face. "You're conferring with Siri about me?"

"Not deliberately. Was she right?"

"Sort of. I mean, sure. Yeah."

"You said 'sort of' first, Anakin. What is it more precisely?"

Anakin stood up and crossed his arms, as though he had caught a chill, though the room was quite warm (when given the option, Anakin turned up the heat in any room he inhabited). He looked toward the wall. "Obi-Wan? "

"What?"

"It was just that? well, they weren't wrong." He turned, looking ashamed and apologetic. "I mean? well, that's not what I mean. They were mostly wrong about stuff they think they know. But some of the stuff is true. They just, you know, see it differently that you do. I mean, than we do."

I caught the first phrasing, Anakin. Obi-Wan reached out and touched Anakin's shoulder. He had always seemed to need more physical contact than other padawans to feel connected to the world and valued by his Master. "It is permissible for you to see things differently than I do."

"I don't mean just you and me. I mean they see things differently than the way the Order does. You know, taking babies and stuff. We really do that, you know."

"I'm aware. And I'm aware that some people disapprove."

"I guess they don't know how hard it is. You know, the discipline and everything."

"That would be my assumption."

Anakin gave him a guarded look. "A couple of the girls were talking about never getting to see the babies. They sounded like they didn't like that. I? well, I mean, I couldn't answer them, since I was Kit. But? "

"But as Anakin, you also have no answer?"

"Kind of."

"I see." Obi-Wan squeezed his shoulder and briefly considered embracing him, but decided that even Anakin Skywalker would eventually reach an age where such things would be uncomfortable, and nearly fourteen was probably past it. Instead, he just patted the shoulder he was already touching, then let go. "It is a difficult life, Anakin, made more difficult for you because you remember another. But it's a life to which you are suited. Someday, you will be a great Jedi, among the greatest, I think."

This didn't bring a smile, as Obi-Wan had hoped. Instead, Anakin shivered again. "I know. The Chosen One."

"No. I have consciously avoided discussing the prophecy with you, Anakin, because I know it disturbs you, and because I do not know how to guide you in regards to it. I mean you will be a great Jedi knight, specifically because of your compassion. It is a trait I fear I lack sometimes, despite having Qui-Gon as a Master."

Anakin did not correct him on this, though he did manufacture

4. Melyanna

Jul 19, 2001
    Forgot to mention earlier - First, these are in no particular order. Second, please read them before voting. ;)

*~*~*~*

Best Action

*~*~*~*

from The Calm Before by Jedi-Jae

Anakin screamed as he charged across the platform. Without even the slightest pretense at calm, he barreled into Darth Nemesis with such fury that he almost forced them off the edge of the platform and into the abyss below. He struck at the Sith Lord over and over again, lost in a red cloud of rage and frustration, consumed by guilt for his failure to protect Padmé and his grief at seeing her fall. Even in her unconscious state, he felt her pain and it drove him into a renewed frenzy.

He bore in on Nemesis, hammering at the Sith with his lightsaber. Anakin cared nothing for his own safety - all he saw was Padmé, burned, bruised, perhaps mortally wounded as she tried to protect him. He kicked Nemesis' feet from under him and stabbed at him. Nemesis rolled away, but Anakin dogged him, kicking the man in the ribs and taking satisfaction from his grunts of pain.

Nemesis Force-pushed Anakin away and gave himself some space to jump to his feet. His reprieve was short. Anakin rushed him again, knocking him back, releasing every charged emotion he felt, beating at the Sith mercilessly. Nemesis backpedaled and Anakin could feel his uncertainty and?fear? Yes, the Sith feared him, and Anakin felt a rush of power so heady it made him dizzy.

The lightsabers smashed together with a spine-curdling screech. Anakin twisted his wrists, forcing the red saber aside, and slammed his elbow across the Sith's temple. Nemesis reeled back, and Anakin followed with a backhand across his face. Nemesis retreated as fast as he could. Anakin pursued, swinging wildly with his saber, trying to force his enemy off the edge of the platform. Their blades locked again, and Nemesis tried to knock Anakin's feet from under him. Their legs tangled and they both crashed to the deck. Their sabers skidded away from them.

What had been a duel degenerated into a brawl as the two men clinched, pounding each other with their fists as they rolled around on the floor. Anakin locked his arm around the Sith Lord's neck and punched him in the ribs again and again. He felt one snap, and let out a whoop as Nemesis cursed in pain. But Nemesis retaliated with brutal punches to Anakin's kidneys, and Anakin thought the battle might end with him throwing up all over his enemy.

Nemesis jerked Anakin to his feet and head-butted him. Anakin felt a sickening crunch in the bridge of his nose and stars exploded behind his eyes. He stumbled back and fell on his rear end. Nemesis called his lightsaber to his hand and leaped at Anakin with a howl of triumph.

As the Sith Lord raised his saber to strike him down, Anakin called his own weapon. It smacked into his palm, already lit, and he thrust up desperately.

Nemesis let out a strangled cry and looked at the blue blade that impaled his chest. He stared down at Anakin, shock and disbelief reflected in his golden eyes. Anakin stood up, keeping a tight grip on the hilt of his saber. He gave the Sith Lord a look of supreme contempt, then pushed him away, letting go of his saber. He watched with dark satisfaction as Nemesis fell to his knees, then toppled onto his side. The gold eyes settled into a sightless stare, and Anakin gave the limp body several kicks before retrieving his weapon.

He ran over to Padmé's crumpled form and gently rolled her over. Tears blurred his vision as he took in her ravaged face and cruel burns. Her right eye was swollen shut and blood trickled from a gash at the corner of her mouth. Her white suit was slashed open, and Anakin swallowed hard at the sight of the angry blackened burn that ran from her shoulder down between her breasts to her hip. Another burn crossed her belly and yet another her side. That monster! I couldn't kill him enough times to make up for what he did to her.

He gathered Padmé into his arms, cradling her gently aga

5. Melyanna

Jul 19, 2001
    Best OC Story

*~*~*~*

from Legacy by Mcily_Nochi

Kos paused at the top of the rickety staircase, listening for voices below. There were none. She tugged at her drab, brown work clothes and hurried down. Her mother would prepare a quick breakfast for her and she would leave before the boy and his sister came down.

She silently opened the kitchen door, and found herself face to face with Nastom.

His eyes were earnest and apologetic. "I'm sorry!" he exclaimed. "Did I wake you?"

Her eyes narrowed. "What're you doing up so early?" she demanded.

He blinked. "Nastia is feeling ill, so I sat up with her. I just came down to get a drink." He held up a metal cup, some water sloshing over the sides.

Kos stalked past him. Why did these strangers have to come disrupt her life? She almost had enough Danto credits saved to get away from here, and now their guests were eating up her overtime pay.

"What's wrong?" he asked from behind her.

"Nothing," she threw over her shoulder. She pulled open the cooling unit and removed a covered cup of sweet-beans.

"Yes there is." He sounded puzzled.

She turned slowly to face him again. "You can't read my mind, so stop trying."

He looked genuinely startled. "I'm sorry," he said automatically. "I didn't mean--"

"Shut up," she told him, disgustedly. What did he know about this kind of life?

She tore the cover off her breakfast and popped the small beans into her mouth. They were rich in proteins and sugars, and would keep her energized during the long workday. She heard him pull out a stool and sit down, but didn't look up. When she finished, she tossed the cup on the table and left.

"Where do you work?" he asked suddenly.

Surprised she turned around. "What do you mean?"

"I know you work in the factory, but what does it do? What's it like?" He waited patiently as she decided whether to answer him or not. She chose to shock him.

"They're horrible conditions," she told him. "Dust and soot everywhere. The machines are noisy and frighten the children."

"There are children there?" Nastom interrupted.

"Yes," replied Kos haughtily. "I started when I was six." The horror on his face was gratifying. "So you see, I can take care of myself. I don't need you or my mother."

She left, hearing Nastom's quiet voice behind her as the door swung shut. "I'm sorry."

For some reason that made her furious all over again. Why was he sorry? It was that way for everyone! As she left the cramped house and hurried toward the factory, a memory surfaced in her mind. Herself as a child barely old enough to work in the factory. She had burned her hand that day, but hid her tears from her mother. They had no other way of earning money; it was her job to support them. So she hadn't told her mother. As she lay in bed, her hand ached, sending waves of pain up her arm. She had cried herself to sleep that night, and many other nights afterward, wondering where her childhood had gone.

Kos angrily dismissed the memory. She was no longer a child. She hadn't been one for eight years, since she was six and went to work in the factory. She ducked her head against the crowd and pushed onward.

Why did she feel antagonistic toward Nastom and his sister? They were only guests, and they needed a place to stay. Her mother didn't have the brains to support her daughter, but she could take pity on a strange boy and a toddler. Kos shook her head. There was no cause for bitterness. She had always known about her mother. Maria could not pass the tests to let her work in the factory. Maria had earned money however she could, and Kos knew she was the result; she had no father that she knew about. So as soon as she turned six she started working. She passed with ease the tests that her mother failed, and was now earning more pay than anyone else her age.

She had always supported her small family, and saved enough money to pay for the hovel they lived in. Now Nastom and his sister were eating her savings, and not contri

6. Melyanna

Jul 19, 2001
    Best Intertrilogy Story

*~*~*~*

from Shades of Gold by Shara_82

Standing here, I am not quite sure what to feel. There's happiness of course. How could there not be that? Seeing the smile on my son's face and the quiet joy in my daughters eyes would make any father happy. That is not all I feel, though. There are other emotions; darker ones. They threaten to eclipse any happiness that might have otherwise driven all the shadows out of my mind.

I've realized, in the last few minutes, that I'm free. Not in the conventional sense of the word - I've been free from slavery since I was nine years old. No, what I am free from now is far more interesting. I've found that there are no constraints now. I am free to go wherever I please. And whenever. With a single thought, I can be a thirty years in the future. Or in the past.

I must confess - I did give myself a glimpse of the future. I had to know, you see, what it held for my children. I have caused them so much pain, that I needed to know whether the future held happiness for them. What I saw went far beyond my expectations. I know that I have nothing to worry about from these two. They exude light, and their future is consumed by it.

The past, however. Oh no, I can not bring myself to look at that. I am so much happier here, now, feeling the galaxy united as one, and the joy they share. It resounds so strongly within my soul that I am lifted by it, and feel as though I could fly away at any moment. Of course I could do so, anyway, since I lack the physical form to stay grounded. However even if I was still alive, I believe, I would be able to fly.

It was a feeling I have sought often. I came close, when I was podracing. It was the same feeling really, one that took you and lifted you far above the measly existence the Force grants us all. It almost gave me a feeling of eternity. As though I were more than the sum of my parts, and would go on forever.

To feel it again now, despite the darkness my soul has been subjected to...its wonderful. And for the first time, more than as I saw my son's face for the first time, I feel as though I have some hope of redemption. As though I can, truly, return to the innocent boy I once was.

It is thought, more than any other, that inspires me. I have considered this action. Wished many times while I was still alive that it were possible. I still don't know whether it is, but as I look to see the ruins of the Death Star in the sky above me, I know that I have to try. The state the galaxy is in is of my own design. If I am able to prevent it, then I shall. There is no question to it.

I sense, rather than see my old master, and his own, behind me. Of all the people I betrayed, it is the betrayal of Obi-Wan that cuts me the deepest. He vested everything in me, gave me his trust. And yet despite this, I can feel him, reaching out to me. Forgiving me. If I had the ability to do so, I believe I would cry. The emotion itself is still there, welling up inside me, I simply lack the tear ducts to allow them to fall over my face.

In this moment, I love him. Simply and purely, with all the intensity of a supernova. I would give him anything in the universe, if I had the power. But I do not go with him. I ignore the hand he so innocently holds out to me, and I turn my thoughts away from here.

I say goodbye to my son as I do so. I do not believe I will see him again. I wish that I could say the same to Obi-Wan. His is a face, though, that I know I shall see again. And when I do, it shall break my heart.

'Goodbye, my dear son. Be happy. Have all the things I was never able to give you. I wish the same for you sister, but I do not believe it would mean anything to her.'

I do not wait to see if he heard me anyway. If he did, I know that I would not be able to leave.

'Be happy.'

I close my eyes, or imagine that I do so anyway, and wait until the force has stopped pulling me before I open them again. With a sinking heart, I realize where I am. Exactly wh

7. Melyanna

Jul 19, 2001
    Best New Jedi Order Story

*~*~*~*

from Force Heretic III by Jedi_Anakin_Solo

The dream started as it did every night. Random images of pain and despair whirled through a confusing mix of love and lonliness. Out of all these random images, a single form emerged. The girl found herself once more on the world that was not a world. The bio tech used by the invaders created massive worldships, and this mission had brought them to one of them. The entire mission was permenantly burned into her memory, no matter how much she wished to forget.

Finally, the form focused from a blur into a tall young man. Everyone in the galaxy who hadn't been living in a cave for the past few years would recognize the young man by name - and even those who had been living in a cave would recognize what he was from the determined set of his jaw and the lightsaber clipped to his belt.

Hot tears were barely contained - just as it had been in real life. The girl knew what was going to happen this time, but was just as powerless to stop it. The boy stared at her, his look still one of determination, but softening slightly. His ice-blue eyes blazed with a fire that looked nothing like the coldness that ice was known for, but the fire dissapated for a moment. A yearning expression crossed the boy's face, the girl knew that he wanted to take her into his arms and kiss her full on the lips, she reached up to grant his wish...

And stopped. Maybe, just maybe if she made him wait, he would come back to claim his kiss. That's what she had thought then, she knew it wasn't true this time, but the dream was more of a memory than anything she could control. "No."

Tahiri was almost startled by the sound of her own voice. She found her mouth moving to form the next words she knew she had to say, and to her horror realized she was powerless to stop it. Kiss him! she shrieked at the dream. She couldn't take back the past, but at least she could make the dream end the way it should...

"For that you have to come back," her own voice continued inexorably. She tried to take it back, tried to make the dream different from reality, but she couldn't fight her own memory.

Anakin Solo's features lit up with a lopsided grin, and even though she had seen this sight night after night, Tahiri still melted at the memory of his smiles, shuddering with pleasure and anguish at the same time.

"Soon then."

Anakin's voice sounded perfect to her, sweet and smooth, it was so full of love and sensitivity. She knew that it was only an outward projection of that sensitivity, however. The sensitivity the voice projected didn't even come close to comparing with what was inside of him. The love that Anakin had for her almost overwhelmed Tahiri. He completed her, he was her other half.

The memories haunted her as surely as a specter would. Tahiri was forced once again - this was a memory, after all - to look into those deep ice-blue eyes. If she could have, she knew she would have cried. But even in a dream, she couldn't put him through it.

"Soon," her voice which she still had no control over replied. "May the Force be with you..."

"NO!" Tahiri shot up from the dream, drenched in sweat and hot tears of anguish. "Anakin! Don't do it!"

The room was dark, and Tahiri finally forced herself to take several deep breaths. It was just a dream, she told herself. If only it were true... if only Anakin was really right next to her, ready to comfort her...

But he wasn't, of course. Anakin Solo was dead, and though Tahiri was young, she knew she would never love another man again. Never. She wasn't sure how she knew this for certain, but she knew.

Wiping away her tears, Tahiri layed back down. She cursed at herself for her weakness when she found herself curled into a ball - clutching her knees to her shoulders - and crying once more in anguish. But she couldn't stop the paroxysms of sobs that shook her body. Her shoulders tremmored violently, and her cheeks were now dre

8. Melyanna

Jul 19, 2001
    Best Interpretation of a Female Non-Original Character

*~*~*~*

Tahiri Veila of Catch by Tahiri

She felt, with quite a bit of annoyance, as Anakin picked the lock with the Force, and pushed it open slowly.

"Tahiri?" he asked, coming closer to her, and sitting on the edge of the bed. He cocked his head to one side, quizzically. "What's wrong?"

Tahiri stared at him. She stared at his blue eyes, stared at his messy brown hair, stared at his pink lips, and even stared at the smudge of black on his cheek. She wanted to reach out to him, but was not quite sure if she wanted to wipe the smudge off of his cheek, or to slap him. So, instead, she said quite flatly, "You idiot."

He didn't seem fazed by this at all -- not the slightest bit -- and persisted. "What happened?"

"If you don't know, I'm not even going to tell you," she muttered.

Anakin sighed, and as he was getting up, said, "All right...whenever you feel like talking to me, I'll be around."

"Wait," Tahiri said, just as he reached the door. "I'll tell you what's wrong."

Anakin's eyes seemed to smile at her, and she felt like slapping herself -- didn't she want him to go away? He sat back down, and Tahiri was even more aware of the warmth radiating from his body. "Yes?"

"Y-you," she stammered, suddenly realizing that she didn't want to tell him about Alema either -- what if he decided he liked her better? -- she couldn't think of anything else to say, either. But she had to say something! "You were -- were -- whistling!"

Anakin blinked. "That's what got you angry?"

Tahiri nodded fervently. "Yes."

Anakin frowned. "Okay..." he said slowly. "I won't whistle again...."

Tahiri nodded in satisfaction. "Good. Good. You suck at it."

Anakin grinned sheepishly. "Okay. Well, I have to go finish fixing the ship for Peckhum...he has to finish up a supply run tonight. See you at dinner." He left.

Tahiri sighed with relief. He was gone, it was over, she didn't have to feel like someone was squeezing the breath out of her lungs. Some of her old anger suddenly returning, she fell on her back again, rolling over on her side, and staring out the window. Yes, that's what she would do. Stare out into outer space. It was much more interesting than Anakin, she decided angrily.

Tahiri Veila of Blue Orchids by ArnaKyle

Later that night, my cold stirred me. I was exhausted and tried to sniff back the urge to get up. After a string of sneezes, I succumbed to my nose's wishes. Rolling over on my side, I proceeded to stand. I felt half-dead, and my senses had become blurred.

It's always amazed me how one could be asleep, yet feel awake, or vice versa. Dreams are so vivid at times, and real life mashes into it. It's times like these when people are most vulnerable, but I shrugged it off. I yawned, heaving a sigh, wanting to return to my dreams.

I felt something grab my wrist as I went to retrieve my handkerchief. I yelped in surprise, but I was stifled as my mouth was smothered by a rough hand. My struggles never stopped and I elbowed my attacker. A muffled sound returned.

The assailant had backed off by now, but I was sure I couldn't keep him at bay much longer. I shouted a cry to Anakin through the Force, hoping he'd awaken. His presence seemed amazingly close, but I'd learned the mind plays a lot of tricks early in the morning.

I breathed heavily, tempted to scream for help, but even in the shadows I could see the figure backing off, rubbing the sore jaw I'd helped in presenting. Instead, I edged my hands toward the lamp, and flipped the lights on. My eyes recoiled at the light, and I squinted.

I gasped. "Anakin!" I cried. He put his finger to his lip to silence me. That got the eyes open fast. "What's wrong with you?" I whispered harshly, "it must be 2 in the morning! Why are you here?" At once I felt enormously uncomfortable, praying to all heaven and earth that there was a logical rea

9. Ace_Pace

Ace_Pace Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 12, 2001
    sorry to interupt the list of storys but can you give links to the storys?

10. Qwi_Xux

Qwi_Xux Jedi Master star 4

Oct 5, 2001
    Ace, the links to most of the stories are here. Just look for the title you want. :)

11. Ace_Pace

Ace_Pace Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 12, 2001
  12. Sticks

Sticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 27, 2001
    I just wanted to mention that I think Mely is doing an amazing job with the noms and the excerpts, especially what with Markup-Code-Hell and all... Thanks for all your hard work, Mel! :D

13. Mcily_Nochi

Mcily_Nochi Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 23, 2001
    Here, here, Sticks! *hugs Mely*

14. Grand_Admiral_Jaxx

Grand_Admiral_Jaxx Jedi Master star 5

Dec 23, 2000
    I've read all except for the last series of nominees... I intend on voting for most of the categories... but do we vote on the official thread? and when?

Outstanding job so far! :D

15. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    Lara from Swfan's A Love Through Time was nominated in the other thread but not added in here. I'm dissapointed. I never knew not every nomination is considered for the final thread. How many votes is nessasary to make it in here? Just wondering... ;)

16. Pallas-Athena

Pallas-Athena TFN Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 4 VIP

Nov 29, 2000
    Ok, to end this nomination count thing once and for all:

EDIT: maybe techno-color will help. [face_plain]

In every catorgy, the five (5) with the greatest amount of nominations made it into the finals.

Now, you'll probably notice that some catories have more than five, others less.

We decided that, even the event of a tie for fifth place, only the stories/authors/characters that had two (2)or more nominations made it into the finals.

The stories with only one nomination were not counted.

17. Sarah_K

Sarah_K Jedi Master star 4

Jun 10, 2001
    Ditto for me, Jaxx, where/when do we vote? (assuming I get time to read all these!) Or has this question already been answered...? ?[face_plain]

Sarah >^,,^<

18. Pallas-Athena

Pallas-Athena TFN Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 4 VIP

Nov 29, 2000
    And to clear up this:

Like Mel said, the voting will start on May 27th. The voting will be done through PM and Mel will announce the user id for the elected member. This user will then forward the votes to the awards committee, who will then tally the votes and give the results to the hostesses for the June 6th show.

19. Melyanna

Jul 19, 2001
    Thanks for clearing things up, Thena.

Okay, here are more excerpts! :)

*~*~*~*

Best Post-Return of the Jedi Story

*~*~*~*

from A Little Fall of Rain by Marawannabe

Mara whirled around to face Luke. "What do you think you are doing?" she hissed fiercely, her voice echoing softly in the empty quarters that Luke had dragged her into.

"Mara, we have to talk."

"I don't want to talk to you, Luke!" Mara yelled, causing Luke to flinch.

"I know, but I want to talk to you." Luke's voice was raised in tightly controlled anger. "Now, sit down!"

Mara dropped into a chair at the tone in Luke's voice, visions of angry Jedi looming before her eyes. Palpatine had never harmed her. He hadn't the need to. He would use what he called "demonstrations." After seeing only one, fear kept Mara from ever disobeying his orders.

Luke let out a breath, and dropped to a knee beside her chair. "Mara, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to frighten you."

"Who's frightened?" Mara snarled.

"Mara..." Luke said slowly.

Mara gave up trying to hide her feelings from him, and nodded slightly. It unnerved her sometimes, how Luke could eerily read her thoughts, sometimes knowing what she was thinking before she did.

"Now, about yesterday..."

Anger returned to Mara's features, her back stiffened and she started to say something when Luke's hand clapped over her mouth. Surprised, she glanced into his face, now only inches from her own.

Anger is of the dark side, Mara...

Mara's eyes widened slightly, as Luke's blue eyes searched her own. Mara let her eyes drift closed, and slowly took a deep breath. She ran through a couple of jedi relaxing techniques. When she felt calm again, she opened her eyes. Luke was watching her, leaning back on his heals, he nodded approvingly. "You're progressing well,"

"But I'm not a Jedi yet, yes Luke, I know." Mara finished the thought for him. "But, I'm not here to talk about my training, or lack thereof."

Luke nodded. "What you saw," he began softly, "was not my doing. Callista took me completely by surprise."

"Not that you didn't enjoy it..." Mara raised an eyebrow at him.

Luke glanced up abruptly at her. "How did you --?"

The bond works both ways, Luke.

Mara, I never knew how you...
    Luke reached out to take her hand.

Mara stiffened slightly, but didn't pull away.

What are you talking about Skywalker?"

You were jealous, Mara.

Jealous?
    Mara shot to her feet, her hand still in Luke's hauling him up with her. Luke, I don't know where you get these delusions of grandeur! Mara's mental voice was tinged with fear.

"Mara," Luke said softly, stepping closer to her.

"I just didn't know what to think. I mean, I come in, you're kissing, her!"

Mara, His arm crept around her waist, drawing her closer.

Luke, I wasn't jealous.

Right. Whatever you say.
    Luke's ice blue eyes searched her green ones. The Force was vibrant around them. One could almost see it, touch it, feel it. Their destiny had been bound together at one time, each needing the other to survive. Now, their bond was more alive than ever before. Mara could feel his thoughts wash over her, as she knew her thoughts were pouring into his mind as well.

Luke reached for her gently, drawing her to his chest. Mara folded against him. She fit into his embrace so well. She felt Luke remove one of his hands from her back and grasp her chin. He tugged gently, bringing her eyes back to meet his. Mara's breathing quickened in anticipation as Luke's head bent to meet hers. A fraction of a second before their lips met, Mara realized exactly what was happening.

Startled, she jerked away. Luke's eyes filled with confusion.

Mara?

Mara ran to the door, slapping the door sensor she exited out into the corridor.

Luke, I'm so sorry...

from Negotiations with Destiny by Queengodess

During a battle, Vader - healed - saves Q

20. Princess1

Princess1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 3, 2001
    this may sound stupid, but I have a question. There are alot of nominations that I don't see on the list. Are the ones on the list the ones with a certain number of nominations or something? Sorry if this sounds stupid, but I was just wondering.

21. Melyanna

Jul 19, 2001
    Princess, scroll up and read Pallas-Athena's posts.

*~*~*~*

Best Ancient History/Far Future Story

*~*~*~*

from Legacy by Mcily_Nochi

They were panting when they reached the little house. Kos struggled to keep up with Nastom's long-legged strides, and finally had to ask him to slow down.

"Sorry," he said shortly, slowing to a more manageable pace.

The two young people burst into the kitchen, where Maria watched Nastia as the child traced patterns in the dust on the floor. "Nastom!" Kos was saying. "I still don't understand!"

Nastom felt frustrated. He didn't understand either, yet Kos expected him to have all the answers. The answers that he did have she scoffed at. "Watch," he said tightly.

"Watch," echoed Nastia, looking adoringly up at her brother. Nastom closed his eyes, picturing the cup that sat on the scarred table. He pictured it in his mind, then imagined his hand reaching out. He could almost feel it between his fingers. He shoved.

Silence. Nastom opened his eyes to see the cup lying on its side, and a small stream of water dripping over the edge of the table. "See?"

Kos's brown eyes were wide. "I don't believe it," she said, sounding dazed.

"Believe it," Nastom said harshly. Maybe now she would understand. Something inside him was crying out to do something about the situation, before any more lives were destroyed. He could still feel the cries of the villagers in his soul, screaming in pain and fear as their lives were wiped out. He could feel his father, and his mother, and Seeta. Or rather, he could feel that they weren't there anymore. He had never realized how much a part of him they were, and now they were gone. It will never happen again, he promised himself. Never.

"Okay, Nastom," Kos said sternly, her stunned daze gone. "How did you do that?"

"I don't know. Do you believe me?"

"I don't know." She sounded doubtful, but still rock-hard. "I'll figure that out some other time. But I need to know. Is all this connected?"

"All what?"

She stamped her foot impatiently. "The mind-controlling thing, and this knocking stuff over. Is it connected? Do you do the same thing?" She shook with frustration and confusion. "How does it all fit together?!"

Nastom closed his eyes, thinking. He could still feel her bewilderment emanating from her. "I can feel your shock," he said softly. It was replaced by surprise. He realized he could feel Maria's gentle puzzlement from beside him. His eyes flew open in wonder. "I can feel you!" he exclaimed. A strange excitement built up inside him, and he thought he would burst. "It's like I can tell where you are by the feelings coming from you! Like they create ripples in the air . . . Only it's not the air. It's something else."

She took a deep breath. "You mean it's people that are the connection?"

"I think so." Nastom closed his eyes again, reaching out. He felt like a child learning to walk, getting farther each time. Nastia sat playing at his feet, a bright shining star in his mind. There was something there between them. Something vibrating with-- expectancy? He reached out farther, straining against the voice inside him yelling, "This is impossible! Impossible!"

Suddenly he felt a tingling at his fingertips. He lifted a hand, and felt something touch it. He opened his eyes. Kos had put her hand on his, and was staring at him. "What?" She watched him in amazement.

"You-- you were glowing."

Nastom instantly knew why. 'There's something here, in this room," he said, the words coming out in a rush. "Something, like energy, or--" He shook his head. "No, nothing like energy. Energy moves around, and . . . is physical. This thing doesn't exist, but it does."

"Nastom, try to make sense for once in your life!" Despite her sharp words, he knew she was as excited as he.

"Something is trying to tell me something," he said after a moment. "It's like I was deaf, but now I can hear. No, that's not it either." He bit his lip, then h

22. Melyanna

Jul 19, 2001
    *~*~*~*

Best Novel

*~*~*~*

from Into the Unknown by Melyanna

The last thing Jag remembered was dying, so it was fairly surprising when he woke up and saw what looked suspiciously like a hospital ward. He couldn't be sure, since his vision was blurry, but he thought that maybe, just maybe, he wasn't actually dead.

"Jag!"

Jaina's voice and the appearance of her face above him almost confirmed it for him. But it wasn't until he reached up weakly and touched her cheek that he believed that he was still alive. "Jaina," he whispered, afraid that if he spoke too loud, she would vanish from him.

"What - what happened?" he asked as she closed her hand over his and held it pressed to her cheek.

A voice issued from the other side of the room. "The best we could think of is that you took a shot aimed at her."

Jag turned and saw Jacen seated on the other side of the bed. Nadia stood behind him, one hand on Jacen's neck, and Han and Leia were at the foot of the bed. "I know what I did, Jacen," he answered in a voice that was audible, but still weak. "Why were they trying to kill us, and why didn't I die?"

"You didn't die because Jacen was there," Jaina interjected. "He was able to use the Force to repair enough of the damage to keep you from bleeding to death before we could get you to bacta."

Jag nodded and tried to speak again, but found that his throat was too dry. Jaina, who was sitting on the bed with one leg under herself so that she could face him, leaned forward to the table next to his head and picked something up. "Drink this," she said, putting it to his lips.

While he drank, Jacen continued, "As for the other question you asked, I think this holovid will explain it quite accurately."

He pushed a few buttons on the remote controller in his hand, and a screen lowered from the ceiling. On it a holo of a news broadcast began playing, and Jag recognized the woman speaking as Senator Khmara. As Jacen turned up the volume, he heard the Senator say, "And this mockery of a leader has attempted to murder two decorated war heroes, all for the sake of his own personal gain. Where must it end, my fellow citizens? Must we endure the petty bickerings of politics and allow intrigue to haunt us, killing those who have served us and protected us?

"No, we cannot, we must not. We must fight against such injustice and push forward for peace, for unity, into the unknown, into a place, a time, a state of being where we have never ventured, and we should be grateful when men and women like Colonel Jaina Solo and Colonel Jagged Fel and their squadrons are willing to put their lives on the line for our protection. They must have our support, and as a citizen of the New Republic, I will give it to them in any way that I can.

"And the way I can support them now is by moving to impeach the following: Chief of State Borsk Fey'lya, Senator Rykan Dre-"

Jag turned, bewildered, to Jaina. "So Fey'lya was trying to kill us."

She nodded. "He didn't want to admit it, but my testimony of what I heard in the club, along with some sources Lauria had gathered, was enough to convict him. He's already on his way to Kessel, along with his whole ring of conspirators."

Jag blinked a few times. "How long was I unconscious?"

"Two weeks," Nadia answered. "Jaina hardly left your side. I practically had to drag her to the impeachment trial."

He let out a sigh. "So what is the state of the government?"

"A special election named Senator Khmara as interim Chief of State," Leia answered. "She's likely to win by a landslide in the actual election. The planets whose representatives were implicated in the scandal sent new representatives after holding elections."

He nodded slowly. No one seemed willing to talk much, so he looked back at Jaina. She smiled down at him, and he touched his hand back to her cheek again. Her bottom lip trembled slightly, and a tear wet his hand. "I thought I'd lost you, Jag."

He smiled an

23. Melyanna

Jul 19, 2001
    *~*~*~*

Best Collaboration

*~*~*~*

from The Ascension of the Queen by JediGaladriel and ami-padme

excerpt by JediGaladriel:

"What are you concealing from me, Luke? Your feelings betray you. You fear me. Why? What have you done?"   

Luke's eyes shifted. "I have no intention of being bullied, Father."  

"You will answer me. I told you that my patience was not infinite."  

"Really? I never would have noticed that otherwise."  

Vader exercised what patience he had left (it was a greater reservoir than he'd implied to Luke, but it was running dry). Luke had spent far too much time talking to Leia. He was developing an unseemly sarcasm. "You left Malastare in great anxiety. I do not wish you to show it to your mother, but you cannot hide it from me."  

Luke squared his shoulders. "A local girl saw the Rebels. She described them as Correllian."  

"A formidable foe, but hardly worthy of such a reaction from you. You are more than capable of engaging a Correllian-trained soldier."  

"I -- "  

Staccato footsteps echoed in the hall, and the conversation was cut short.

"Lord Vader," the officer said, executing a quick call. He held out one gloved hand, which contained a hologlobe. "We have just intercepted a message meant for your daughter."  

A voice rose from the doorway behind them. "You're having my personal communications stopped?"  

Vader looked over his shoulder at Leia, who was putting up a pretense of being shocked. She must have heard the officer's approach. "Your loyalties, Leia, are not above question."  

Amidala came around her. "That's an awful thing to say. Leia is not disloyal."  

The officer -- a lieutenant -- shifted uncomfortably from foot to foot. "The communication does not impugn her Highness directly," he said. "It is... "  

"Of course it doesn't!" Amidala took the globe. "There is nothing for Leia to have shame at."  

She thumbed the activation switch, and a blurred form came into pixelated view. The figure cleared.  

A thin man, in a long, duster coat. Black vest. Thin and sharp mouth under a birdlike nose.  

Solo.  

Vader looked at Luke, who had assured them that the pirate was dead, who had claimed to have checked the bodies. Luke's eyes were closed.  

A gasp from the doorway drew his attention. Leia's hands were at her throat, and she was biting her lip against tears. Relief -- blessed relief -- was pouring off of her in waves.  

The pirate. The filthy, damnable thief. And she shed tears for him that she could not spare for her family.  

Solo spoke. "Leia," he said, "I'm gonna bet this gets intercepted, but I have to take the chance. I'm coming for you, Sweetheart."

"Han... " she whispered.  

"I don't know how, and I don't know when. But you need to be ready. And whoever else is reading this as it goes through, you can be as ready as you want: I'm still taking her away."  

"Turn it off," Amidala said.  

Solo's voice became less combative. "Leia, you need to know... we know. We know what's going on there. And we're coming for you."

The holo ended, and Solo disappeared.

Silence held for a moment, then Leia gasped in a sob. "Han," she whispered again. "Han, Han... "  

Luke started to leave, but Vader caught him by the upper arm. "You appear to have misdiagnosed Solo's condition."  

"I did what did," Luke said, a hint of Leia's defiance coming into his voice.  

Leia sank to her knees and made a grab for the hologlobe. Vader considered snatching it away from her, but the damage had already been done. What kind of suicidal fool was this lover of hers? Issuing a warning? What was his intent? Surely he was not mad enough to have simply sent the message for sheer bravado.  

She held the globe to her chest, cradling it like a child.  

Vader was trying to decide which of the twins to deal with when a scarlet motion caught his eye behind Leia. Amidala had straightened to her full height -- which always seemed taller than it actua

24. Melyanna

Jul 19, 2001
    *~*~*~*

Best Female Original Character in a Leading Role

*~*~*~*

Nadia Montaigne of In the Wake of Glory by Melyanna

Nadia had no intention of staying where she was as Jacen left to cut the power. She let him get out of sight before she took off in the other direction, heading toward a spot of darkness in the Force. After running down the corridor at a sprint, she found the room she was looking for and opened the door quietly.

Kerouac had his back to her, and he was probably drinking, from what she could garner from the Force. At any rate, he wasn't aware enough to notice her as she entered and crept up on him. When she got close enough, she leaned back and delivered a roundhouse kick to the back of his head.

A glass fell to the floor and shattered as he grunted and fell to his knees. With Kerouac distracted, Nadia grabbed his blaster out of his holster and circled around to stand in front of him. "You should have finished the job," she breathed viciously.

His eyes were red from the alcohol, but he wasn't drunk enough to not know what she was talking about. "So I see," he replied, a little slurred. "Exact your revenge." Still kneeling, he brought his upper body to attention, thrusting his chest out to give her an easy target.

"Oh, no," she whispered. "You're not getting away that easily, Kerouac. You have no idea how much pain you caused me. You will pay for what you did to me."

Taking careful aim, she fired six times into his stomach. He screamed and doubled over in pain, and Nadia kicked his stomach. He started to reach into his boot, and she realized that he had another weapon hidden there. Stepping on his wrist hard and hearing bones snap, she reached into his boot and found a vibroblade.

"Is this what you wanted?" she teased. "Have it." He screamed again as she thrust the blade into his side.

"Get up," she ordered. "Take this like a man. You certainly enjoyed giving pain."

He got to his knees again weakly, surprise in his eyes. "Just... get it... over with."

"With pleasure," she exhaled, a feral smile spreading across her face. She grabbed the barrel of the blaster, though it was still hot, and pounded the handle heavily into the side of his neck, hitting a pressure point that killed him instantly.

At that moment, the lights dimmed. Jacen had cut the power. She had to get back before he did.

She took off at a sprint and arrived back at the spot where Jacen had left her as Jacen returned. "What were you doing?" he asked.

"Getting myself another blaster," she replied.

He stared at her for a moment, and she realized that he knew precisely what she had done. "We don't have time to talk about this now," he said, anger and sorrow mingled in his voice. "We don't have much time before they restore the power."

At that, they took off in the direction of the hangar.

Melody of The Circle by Lisse

"Food. You'd think this kriffing piece of scrap would have decent food." Melody peered inside the refrigeration unit and then shut the door quickly, her nose wrinkling in disgust. "Faugh! Giju stew. I'm gonna kill Jessa!"

Hal watched her rummage through the drawers with not a little bemusement. They had just escaped from the flagship of the Imperial fleet and her first thought was food. He had always known that Melody tended toward instant gratification, but this was ridiculous.

He leaned on the counter. "Mel? You're not even curious where we're going?"

"Nope. Hah!" She emerged with a tray of bent silverware and set it down on the counter, moving around to stand beside Hal as she dug through it. "Come on, I know there's something in here somewhere..."

Hal sighed. "Could you be serious for five seconds?"

She looked up from a pile of forks. "Okay. Shoot."

"You do realize that we've just gotten ourselves in the dung heap without a shovel, right?"

"You mean all the Imps probably think we're crazed anarchists wi

25. Melyanna

Jul 19, 2001
    *~*~*~*

Best Male Original Character in a Supporting Role

*~*~*~*

Keyan Agragar, from Legacy by Mcily_Nochi

"Are you sure about this?" Keyan asked nervously as they approached the banquet hall. "I mean, really sure."

"Yes," she replied, concentrating on walking regally and holding her head high. Then she gave him a quick grin. "This is a good chance to practice those Jedi relaxation techniques you've been developing."

Keyan looked surprised. "You know about that?"

Her eyes clouded. "I know I haven't seen my husband for well over a month, Keyan, but he kept me up to date on all the Jedi activities. He was very impressed with some of the ideas you had for incorporating the Force into a typical relaxation routine. Maybe you can describe some of your breakthroughs at the, because they'll no doubt be very interested in you, being the first Alderaanian Jedi and all."

They entered the banquet hall before he could reply. Kos smiled brightly and curtseyed. Keyan bowed stiffly beside her. A distant voice announced them: "Kos Corusca, Supreme Chancellor of the Republic."

The gathered people rose to their feet in respect, and Kos inclined her head gracefully, hoping that the elegant pile of hair pinned delicately to her scalp would stay put.

"Keyan Agragar, Jedi Knight of Alderaan."

They applauded thunderously, to Keyan's obvious surprise. He lifted his eyebrows at Kos, then bowed again. They were directed to seats near the head of the long table.

Kos smiled warmly at Prince Kylo Organa, the man who had originally won her Alderaan's support. She shook his hand firmly, then introduced him to Keyan, who looked more than a little star-struck.

"It is good to meet you, Keyan, after hearing all about you." His kind, old face crinkled in a wide smile at the young man's expression.

"About me, sir?" Keyan stammered, not realizing that he hadn't released Prince Organa's hand. The Prince kept right on shaking, solemnly nodding his head. Keyan looked down, flushed bright red, and hastily pulled his hand back.

Prince Organa chuckled. "Please have a seat, both of you."

Keyan seemed to know which piece of silverware to use when, so Kos did not have to embarrass him further by pointing it out. He even restrained himself and ate slowly, with impeccable manners, chatting nervously with those near him and avoiding Prince Organa's gaze.

As soon as the dessert dishes were cleared away, Kylo Organa nodded at Kos. She cleared her throat and stood, smoothing her dress. "It's been years since Prince Organa first lent me his support, and Alderaan became a part of the Republic." She smiled at the old man. "Now we are strong and prosperous, and Alderaan is still one of the most influential planets in the Republic. I, personally, have overcome financial and diplomatic adversity with representatives from Alderaan at my side, and the side of the Republic.

"Now we are in our hour of need, and we turn again to the aid of this planet and its wonderful people. I realize that you do not believe in war and I do not ask that you make a unilateral decision for or against me. Merely give me the opportunity to address the people of Alderaan myself, and demonstrate how serious this situation is." She spread her hands pleadingly. "Please. We need you." She sat down before anyone could applaud politely.

Keyan looked impressed, and leaned over to whisper in her ear, "You're good at that."

"There's a reason I'm the Supreme Chancellor," she smiled back. "It's because I can make anything sound good. The only problem is sometimes I fool even myself."

He chuckled, then noticed Prince Organa's kind eyes on them and fell silent. Organa smiled and shook his head slightly, amused. He reached over and laid a hand gently on Keyan's arm. "Jedi Agragar, I am not judging you. I am proud of your accomplishments as an Alderaanian, and am honored to meet you. Do not be frightened that I will not approve of you, because I do."

Keyan bit his lower lip, loo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.