1. Oh hai Guest!

Welcome to the RPF!

RPR Archive The Summer 2008 Role Playing Forum Awards - WINNERS POSTED!

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource Archive' started by Imperial_Hammer, Jul 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Imperial_Hammer Manager Emeritus: RPFs

star 5
    Summer 2008 Role Playing Forum Awards

Please be sure to review the entire post (even if you?ve done this before) to ensure that everything runs as smoothly as possible.

Purpose of the Awards
    Our role playing forums are very special ? unique in their quality and community. We come here to play, but also to work. It?s not easy to build a successful game or navigate through the galaxy with a character. It?s especially challenging now, with three distinct forums dedicated to different aspects of role playing. Many of you dedicate significant amounts of your free time to make this place the best it can be.

These awards have been established in recognition of the extraordinary efforts of you ? our users. The VIPships and publicity awarded to winners are meant to serve as both a reward for a job well done and a way to increase visibility. It is hoped that others will learn from their example, and that they will continue to serve as leaders of these role playing forums.

How it works
    Awards are held four times per year, in April (Spring), July (Summer), October (Autumn) and January (Winter).

The four categories for awards are:

Best GM
    Best Roleplayer
    Best RPG (Star Wars and Non-Star Wars)
    Best New RPG (Star Wars and Non-Star Wars)

New RPGs are defined as any active game less than three (3) months old. RPGs must be active (no locked threads may be nominated).

Voting will consist of two rounds:

Round 1:
    • Lasts for five (5) days

• A time to nominate any active RPG or player

• Once a thread/player has been nominated once, please refrain from nominating them again (one nomination is sufficient to save a spot on the ballot)

• Users may not nominate themselves for awards

• All users may make a total of two (2) nominations per category

Any RPG that wins an award becomes ineligible for next season's awards, to ensure fairness and variety. Any players who win awards will be ineligible until the next year.

Round 2
    • Begins immediately after the results of Round 1 are posted

• A list of all the nominees will be compiled for members to pursue

• You then have seven (7) days to PM your votes from the choices to the host

• Users have the option of voting for up to three (3) people in the Best RPer and best GM categories, and up to two (2) games in the Games categories

• Campaigning (ie, soliciting votes and/or nominations) at any time during the awards, in any thread, in any forum, is absolutely not allowed!

The winners will be announced at the end of Round 2.

Prizes
    As always, the part you've all been waiting for.

The winning GMs and Roleplayers will each be awarded VIPship (with the ability to choose custom colors) for one week. In addition, they will earn a place in the "RPF Hall of Fame" in the Community Centre. The winning RPGs will receive a special place in the introductory sticky thread, as well as the right to the title of "Best RPG," until the next season's winners are announced. Moderators are allowed to win Awards, but their prize will be limited to recognition alone. When a moderator places in the Best GM/RPer category, the top three contenders will be recognized, with the two non-mods getting colors. Two non-moderator users are guaranteed colors for every awards season.

The "RPF Stars" Awards

Winners of the RPF Stars Awards will not receive titles or colors, but they are encouraged to place their titles in their sig or bio. The idea behind these awards is to provide recognition for exemplary members of our community who stand out in interesting and innovative ways.

The RPF Stars Awards will be run similarly to the rest of the Awards for this incarnation ? that is t/>/>/>/>
  2. Saintheart Chosen One

star 6
    And in relation to this, I promise that one of these days I will get round to running an awards session ... I am presently the resident of Darth RL, Hell but otherwise say: nominate and vote, and good luck to all participants!
  3. Darth_Vaders_cousin Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Best GM:
    1. Jello
    2. Sephycloneno15

Best RPer:
    1. Nicklityouaflame
    2. Penguinator-176

Best Star Wars RPG:
    1. The Shattered Galaxy

Best Non-Star Wars RPG:
    1. Avengers Assemble

Best New Star Wars RPG:
    1. The Shattered Galaxy

Best New Non-Star Wars RPG:
    1. Avengers Assemble
  4. Penguinator RPF Modinator and Batmanager

Manager
    star 6
    Best GM:
    1. Hammurabi

Best RPer:
    1. sprintabm

Best Star Wars RPG:
    1. Ronin

5. Sith-I-5 Force Ghost

star 5
    Uh, Hammer, unless this is a change that you have made, could you please point out that the list of prohibited players can still be nominated for the Star Awards?
  6. darth_nemisis Force Ghost

star 6
    GM: BobaMatt

Player: DarthXan318

Game: Leá Monde (definitely the most deserving game)

Most Eager Noobie: AlphaRay
  7. Imperial_Hammer Manager Emeritus: RPFs

star 5
    As you requested, I-5, I added a line. Everyone can be nominated for All-Stars awards. :)

-I_H
  8. Mikaboshi Force Ghost

star 6
    Best GM:
    1. Darth_Elu

Best RPer:
    1. DarthXan318
  9. LightWarden Force Ghost

star 4
    Shouldn't you put a cap on eligible games, such as maybe games started within the past two weeks won't be counted? On the other hand, they're eligible to win things like "Best New Game" next award session. It just seems a little strange that some games may win an award based on the popularity of their GM/players alone, while other games might not be able to win an award just because they haven't actually had a chance to do something by the time the award session rolls around.
  10. SephyCloneNo15 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Light, I don't think Age is a fair way to judge what should and shouldn't be eligible. It's a weird cutoff in some cases. Perhaps a Minimum IC Post Amount would be a better way to judge it, so that (hypothetically) a game that got itself off to a quick start and has kept up a good momentum of posting, but is still below that age cutoff you suggested would be eligible, but you wouldn't then be able to nominate a game that's been around for three weeks but not gotten beyond a few posts.

And, before you begin, we're assuming a uniform standard of post-quality in both these hypothetical examples.

But, then again, I suppose here and now is neither the time nor the place to discuss regulating the awards process.
  11. TheMaidofOrleans Jedi Knight

star 3
    Why not the people who are nominated post an example of their writing? In this way, people who are interested can read the examples and vote for whom they consider the best writers.

As of now, it is simply a popularity contest.

I also find it interesting, that a large RPG was launched just a few days before the Role Playing Forum Awards were announced.

Will other GM's in the future be able to post a Main Game Thread as well as an Information & Games Profiles Thread?
    A very unique idea.

12. Penguinator RPF Modinator and Batmanager

Manager
    star 6
    How is it a popularity contest?
  13. TheMaidofOrleans Jedi Knight

star 3
    Are you familiar with all of the writers who are nominated?

Do you take the time to go search out their RPG's and read a sample?

Or (and I'm sure all of us are guilty of this) just vote for the people we know and usually write with?

14. Reynar_Tedros Force Ghost

star 6
    It was an unrelated coincidence. :)
  15. LightWarden Force Ghost

star 4
    The "two weeks" was an example, based on the fact that the criteria for "Best New Game" is "any game made since the past award season", which includes games made only days ago that haven't actually had a chance to do anything.

Anyways, it seems that I forgot that this exact issue cropped up last time, and nothing came of it then other than a GM whose game was only a few days at the time of nomination asking for his game to be withdrawn from the list.

So there's no real reason to argue about it now.
  16. TheMaidofOrleans Jedi Knight

star 3
    Not arguing, just found it interesting. There is a difference.
  17. darth_nemisis Force Ghost

star 6
    I do find that all the RPers nominated so far are quite good at what they do, especially the one I nominated. ;) But, the better you are, the more popular you are. That's my philosophy.

On this topic, an IC post cap is a good idea. Once it reaches 100 posts or something.
  18. NickLitYouAFlame Force Ghost

star 5
    Best GM:
    1. Spacelady
    2. JEDI_TEEGIRLOO

Best RPer:
    1. Jedi_Allegra
    2. DarthSolar
  19. Penguinator RPF Modinator and Batmanager

Manager
    star 6
    I try to do my homework. :p

It's not like people band together and say, "This guy's cool, let's all vote for him!" Popular people win because they are friendly, helpful, collaborative and supportive of other players. So, they're excellent RPers because people want to play with them! If that's the case, then don't they deserve the win?
  20. Imperial_Hammer Manager Emeritus: RPFs

star 5
    Personally, I am in the camp with Peng. and Nemisis. Popularity is generally a sign that you're doing something right. I really doubt there are bribes going on for undeserving people/games. And if there are, well, tell me where to get in on some of that action, cause I could use the moolah. :p

Aaaaaaas to some sort of rule about minimum age of a game, I'm torn. On one hand, its absolutely correct that you can't gauge the success of a game that has been launched a few days ago. On the other hand, building up a hype is an art in itself. Pllluuuuusssss, remember this is all through popular acclaim. No one wins anything without some mass of users saying so. I'm inclined to say that if a game is new, then don't vote for it to win! And if people do, then it must have something going for it.

The standard response to this will be something to the effect of "People are dumb" and "The system gives power to the mindless mob," and to this I would response, "Perhaps, but why should this be corrected? Aren't we trying to be as democratic as possible? Is it really our jobs to fix this?"

Thirdly, as to the launch of The Shattered Galaxy, it is a happy coincidence, although I am amused that folks could entertain otherwise. Summer awards have always been in July, and they have no set date. I assure you I have no partisanship towards that game... I'm not even playing or GMing in it. And even if I did have some secret favoritism, my vote is not going to be a king-maker anyhow.

Additionally, RPF Mods have always had the authority to green-light multi-thread games. Usually though, there needs to be some sort of proof that its going to be as big so as to require it. For example, TSG has a ton of EUCers in it, and before authorization, I had its GM give me a list of interested players. He managed to demonstrate that over 30 players were interested in his forum alone. Hence, Saintheart and I allotted the game 3 threads to work in.

Finally, I'm slightly vexed that this always comes around during awards season. There are three months for this to be discussed in the meanwhile, and a dedicated thread to do it in. Therefore, since this is the Awards thread, and not the Awards Rules thread, I'm putting this convo on ice. This thread is for awards nominations only. I'm going to be posting a copy of this post in the Rules thread, and the discussion can continue there. Any further discussion in this thread will be deleted or edited.

And with that, please RPFs, continue with your nominating process. :)

With much love,
    -I_H
  21. Mikaboshi Force Ghost

star 6
    You should be playing in it, or are you too good for us now Mr. Mod? o_O

:p
  22. Sith-I-5 Force Ghost

star 5
    Imperial_Hammer: PLEASE ENSURE NONE OF YOUR NOMINEES HAVE ALREADY BEEN NOMINATED

NickLitYouAFlame: Best GM: 1. Spacelady

Aw, dammit. I?d already written this up offline. :(

Best GM:
    1. Right, well I?m going to go for she who cannot be named, for stepping up from player-level to take over Lords of Middle Earth over on the non-SW RPF. She took care to address my application for what was best for the continuing game, and generally demonstrated that the game is lucky to have her in charge.

Best Rper:
    1. BrentusofGath
    ? he?s got some weird, solo, anti-pirate side-game going on in the Galactic Senate RPG, and is the current stand-out RPer for me.
    2. Jerjerrod Lennox ? not the most prolific writer this side of the Galactic Centre, but when she posts in Galaxy at War III: Schism of the Sith, her fantasy football team, the Vectis? AllStars (my name for her Star Destroyer group and personnel, although they are harder to remember and name than the Seven Dwarves) exudes quality and personality.

Best Star Wars RPG:
    1. Galaxy at War III: Schism of the Sith

RPF Star Awards
    1. Most Entertaining GM -
    2. Funniest GM -
    3. Most Educational GM -
    4. Best Game Design ? pashatemur
    5. Best Character Design ? Master-of-Evil
    6. Most Social User ? Thok
    7. Most Disgruntled Oldbie - Ominous
    8. Most Eager Newbie ? Corellian-Outrider
    9. Longest Posts in Every RPG ? Xaverri-the-Magician

I am guilty of voting and nominating towards wherever I happen to be reading, or playing. With my work/life balance, I don't see a way out of that./>
  23. spacelady Force Ghost

star 5
    Wow, I can't tell you how much that made my day, Sith-I-5! [face_blush] :D

Oh! And I think it would be pretty cool if there was an added nomination aimed at Co-GMs. I know they do a lot of work, and my two unofficial Co-GMs have been definitely helping me get past a tough time with the plot line in The Lords of Middle Earth: Door of Night. But, it's just a suggestion. :)

Best RPer:
    1. Jedi_padawan_leigh Not only is she one of my best friends, her posts are filled with quality and I just love how she makes her character seem pretty real. And for another, as I had just mentioned, she is one of my "unofficial Co-GMs" and has been a great help with getting my mind on track for the RPG. Good luck, Leigh! :D
    2. Darth_Elu Now he's the guy to get every different character that he has perfectly down. Ranging from his God in Gods and Tyrants: Divine, Guriosa the God of Time, Rebirth, and Lust, to the gentle and caring High God in the same RPG and then switching tracks to Darth Plagueis in Episode 0: The Dark Ghost. And if you haven't noticed in that game, he has control of many NPCs and when he posts as them, they are all quality posts while he gets the character down. I believe he is a good canidate to accept this award. :)

Best Star Wars RPG:
    1. Episode 0: The Dark Ghost And no, I'm not nominating him because of our ties, but believe me, I hear a lot of his thoughts about his current RPG in the Star Wars Forum, Episode 0: The Dark Ghost, I even hear it during his phone conversations with GreyJedi, and he really puts a lot effort into the game. And even when he didn't get that update on time, he's kicking himself for it. He's even planned out the game to the canon episode six, if I'm not mistaken. He is extremely thoughtful of the storyline and has made it a fun game to play in. I look forward to playing in all of his parallel Star Wars games in the future. :)

YOU MAY ONLY MAKE ONE NOMINATION PER CATEGORY IN THIS SECTION

RPF Stars Awards
    4: Best Game Design: Darth_Elu
    6. Most Social User: NickLitYouAFlame
    8. Most Eager Newbie: AMNDRAG_01
  24. Kev-Mas_Colcha Force Ghost

star 5
    Best RPer:
    1. Kahn_Iceay - Ever since I showed him the ways of Role Playing so many years ago, he has gotten so much better. He has become a far better Role Player than I am, and I think we can expect great things from him. I nominate him, not because he's such a good friend, but because I feel that he's the best one to recieve my nomination.

And, that is all I can think of for nominations, most everything was already nominated.
  25. Sith-I-5 Force Ghost

star 5
    spacelady, you are welcome, and you definitely deserve the nom'; don't forget that NickLitYouAFlame nominated you as well!

Sithy

Oh, and nice to see other people doing explanations as to why they are voting for a person or game. I have now pencilled in Episode 0: The Dark Ghost for a once-over if I have a fallow period.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.