main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Summer So Far... 2006!!!

Discussion in 'Archive: Idaho Falls, ID' started by RABIDJAWA, Jun 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RABIDJAWA

RABIDJAWA Jedi Youngling star 2

May 20, 2002
    In order to avoid bucking tradition, I present the latest edition of "The Summer So Far"!!

"X-Men: The Last Stand": A lot of cool action and some cool new characters overcome a weak script and uninspired acting. Plus the fact that the production went through so much crap (i.e. new director, new writers, Halle Berry)and the movie turned out pretty good means that the film-makers deserve a little tip of the hat. B.

"Over The Hedge": Nothing new. It's the same nature vs. humanity-type conflict you've seen depicted in the movies over and over again. The characters are well-rendered and the voice actors do a good job. It's a fun film to look at. Not a bad way to kill two hours if you get bored. Real bored. B-.

"Cars": These cars talk so much, KITT would be jealous. "Cars" is a funny, colorful, visually arresting flick that actually meanders along at a fairly leisurely pace. It's a nice change from hyper-fast plotted flicks that normally dominate the summer. The characters are likable, the voice acting is good, and it's really just a lot of fun. A-.

"Nacho Libre": Holy crap! This is such a silly flick. Jack Black stars as a friar in an orphanage who wants to be a wrestler. Black is hilarious, as usual, and the guy who plays Esqueleto is a hoot, too. There are some seriosly funny wrestling sequences (Look out for Satan's Cavemen!!). And there's a pretty good message there, too, if you're looking for that sort of thing... A-.

Upcoming: Click, Superman Return, and some other stuff too.

2. RABIDJAWA

May 20, 2002
    O.K., here's a new one:

"Click": Adam Sandler gets a remote that lets him skip over all the lame stuff in his life. But, the remote programs itself and he ends up missing big chunks of his life. The concept has potential, but Sandler doesn't have the dramatic chops to pull it off. On top of that the jokes in "Click" feel like they were stolen from other movies, where they were funnier. Kate Beckinsale is always fun to look at (man, is she hot!), but other than that, this movie has nothing to offer. It's lame, long, boring, unfunny, and a waste of time. D-.

Upcoming: "Superman Returns", "A Scanner Darkly", "Clerks 2".

3. RABIDJAWA

May 20, 2002
    "Superman Returns": Lots of good action. The effects are well-done. Brandon Routh does a pretty good job, even though he's not given much to say. Kevin Spacey was awesome as Lex Luthor. I loved the whole air of loneliness that permeated the movie. The dialogue was kinda lame in spots, and some of the acting (i.e. Kate Bosworth, Frank Langella) was fairly underwhelming. Good but not great. B+.

P.S. The "Spidey 3" teaser was pretty darn cool...

4. Oscar_the_Gungan

Oscar_the_Gungan Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 1, 2001
    With Frank Langella I kept remembering that he played Skeletor in the live action mvie and I think he is marred to Whoopi Goldberg.

5. RABIDJAWA

May 20, 2002
    Here's a new one:

"Pirates of the Carribean: Dead Man's Chest": Seems less like a sequel than a carbon copy of the first flick. Once again, Jack Sparrow's on the run from some nasty antagonists (Davey Jones and crew) and he enlists (Or ensnares) Will Turner and Elizabeth Swan the help him. The movie's too long. Certain scenes drag on interminably. The story gets bogged down in never-ending action sequences. Much of the humor from the first film has ben stripped away to make room for effects and action, and a lot of the humor that's there doesn't work too well. And Capt. Jack is really the only interesting character in the movie. Will and Elizabeth are just cardboard characters and act accordingly. On the plus side, Johnny Depp is still a lot of fun to watch, so much in fact that it's hard to care when he's not on screen. The visual effects are cool. I loved the bits with the big sea monster, and Davey Jones was fun to watch as well. Some of the jokes and gags are pretty funny. Overall, it was an enjoyable movie and worth seeing. C+.

6. RABIDJAWA

May 20, 2002
    Here's a couple new ones:

"Lady In the Water": A boring, clumsy attempt at a fairy tale by M. Night Shama-lama-ding-dong. It's a shame, too, 'cuz Paul Giamatti is usually dependable. But this flick felt like the director (who also plays a big role as an actor) was just trying to show off how clever he was without really doing anything. Some good gags but mostly a waste of time. C-.

"Clerks II": While it's probably not as straight-out funny as "Clerks", the sequel is a whole lot more mature. It's impossible for me to be unbiased, because at several points, I felt like the movie was talking to me, about my life. It's still really funny, and though Jay and Bob don't get as much to do, Dante and Randall really carry the flick effectively. The best movie of the summer, at least so far. A.

7. RABIDJAWA

May 20, 2002
    "My Super Ex-Girlfriend": Matt meets Jenny and soon they're dating. But when Jenny freaks Matt out, he dumps her. Only problem is she's the city's superhero and she proceeds to make his life Hell. There were a few laughs and it was nice not to see Uma Thurman completely whoop @$$, but the movie takes way too long to get going and there's not much pay off when it does. C-.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.