main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The superiority of the Original Trilogy BR-Covers!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Darth Schlotkin, Jan 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Schlotkin

Darth Schlotkin Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 6, 2015
    I love the Blu-Ray covers of the original trilogy compared to the prequels!
    They are much more emotionally complex. Consider:

Episodes 1-3:
    Superficial covers that focus exclusively on the main characters, fake cgi starships that don't really fly, superfluous fake looking red cgi auroras and boring blue lightsabers you simply don't care about, distracting you from the rest of the fake cgi cover!
    Cardboard 1-dimensional cutout guys (contrary to the 5-dimensional characters in the OT covers) you just can't immediately tell if they're good or bad or cgi. They are only trying to look at a camera lense that you just know isn't there! Their performances are so subpar compared to those in the original covers & the title's numerals consist only of ''I''s without the natural, photorealistic feeling of ''V''s that makes you care so much for them!
    (But hey...some people like all this fake, boring, superfluous, bad ,subpar stuff...
    No problem...to each his own...)

[​IMG]

A New Hope:
    The cover of ANH is probably the weakest in the OT, but it still has its charm.
    Obi-Wan has a very stylish beard but...he has no chance against Darth Vader who holds an exciting red lightsaber!
    Looking at Luke you just feel this boy has it in him! His stance is a perfect reminder of those trained in the Rebel Special Forces! His white pyjamas are a perfect complimet to his performance! You care for them...so much!
    Leia is so excited to hold that gun...you can just see she has a good feeling about this in her Spanish eyes & English body language! Breathtaking performance!
    Han has an amazing vest that adds so much depth & feel to his character & the overall story in the cover!
    It was Kasdan who actually chose that vest! Lucas wanted something else but Kasdan said ''no'' and Lucas simply backed off...
    Tarkin is a realistic blue and he was filmed on location at Pinewood studios! Expect nothing less from him!
    The VFX as can be seen by looking at the X-wings & TFs were perfect! Even though real pilots were used, only a fat guy died so who cares...?
    C3PO & Chewbacca though are the real protagonists here! They bring the so needed weight this cover needs by weighing a combined total of 600lbs!

The Empire Strikes Back:
    The real oil painted purple is just so exciting! It is so much better than the boring fake cgi red of the prequels! It makes you care about the cover & its story! I.Kerchner did a masterful directing job in bringing out its purpleness!
    Looking at it you can perfectly feel this is going to be a wild ride of a cover, filled with action & emotional gravitas...WOO-HOO!
    Leia is so stupendous in her performance! Watching her distant gaze you get a sense of her looking at Alderaan being destroyed...you almost feel like crying for the girl! So many years have come to pass and yet she still reflects upon its destruction in the sequels' cover! It's so heartbreaking!
    Luke & Hans' perfect haircuts again make you care so much for these characters! You just want them to win so the Empire doesn't get their hidden rebelious shampoo which they never used!
    It makes perfect sense! No need to defer this lotion!
    The AT-AT is so scary without even trying...it simply scares the bajeezus out of you!
    A huge leap in VFX tecnology...you can literally put your finger on it!
    The green of Yoda is so expressive, wise & tactile you can just feel its wisdom when looking at it!
    And then you have the genius foreshadowing of Lando's betrayal by having him look in the opposite direction! Pure genius! Lucas wanted him to look in the same direction as the others, but Kasdan&Kershner said ''no'', so Lucas had no choice!
    But the real show stealer is the immersive performance of Lando's moustache! It's nothing like those boring beards of the prequels!
    His moustache is so mystical & zazzy, you just know it has a secret agenda of its own! A worthy succesor to the moustaches of old...before Gill' ét'Te...before the Empire...

Return of the Jedi:
    A lot of people miss this completely, but just look at that incomplete Death Star alluding to the loss of its smaller sibling! You immediately know it deeply feels the casualty and that now it means business...it effortlessly makes you empathize with it & want it to succeed!
    Alas revenge!

A subtle pink in the center is so symbolic of Darth Vader's eventual re-emerging good self by realizing the love for his chidren...it always turns your eyes into moisture farms [pun intended] the moment you see it...
    Leia gives her best multilayered performance in this cover by bringing forth her eeire & uncanny ponytail to compliment the performance of her aggressively feminist bikini.
    Han knows! You care!
    The VFX are now so perfectly seemsles you can't even see the spaceships. You simply feel & care for them in the story just by looking at Vader's performance through his breathing mask!
    The Ewok is just there so the OT could tie-in with the prequels for continuity reasons, so nevermind. Jabba is the real tear-jerker here though. You can't stop crying once you look at his amazingly nuanced & insightfull performance in this cover! He is really there to make you cry & reflect upon yourself...
    But most important of all!...
    We finally see the culmination of this cover saga in Luke! Luke is holding an intriguing lime-green lightsaber, the color of wisdom, to contrast his father holding an exciting red lightsaber in ANH. You can feel this lime-green lightsaber has a long & mysterious backstory behind it, just by looking at its expressive lime-green glow! Pure genius of Kasdan to say 'no' to Lucas who wanted an unrealistic cypress green one!

Anyway, these are some of my thoughts on why the OT Blu-Ray covers are far superior to the PT ones... What are yours (maybe not just for these OT-BR covers, any cover maybe...)?
    Any ideas as to how could the PT ones be improved to the same level as the OT ones?

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  2. lovelikewinter

lovelikewinter Jedi Knight star 4

May 28, 2014
    Um, ok.

Personally I think they are all terrible and people should have gone with the poster art for the covers.

3. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    I think the OP had their tongue in their cheek a bit here, but I'll bite.

Those same covers were used for the standard DVD releases (and I didn't know the films had individual BluRay releases. Huh), and IMO they're pretty awful. I agree w/@lovelikewinter, they should've used the original poster art. Those covers look like really bad Photoshop. The image of Han on the ANH cover is from an early costume fitting I believe (note the length of Ford's hair). And the image of Han on TESB cover is from ANH!

4. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    It would be funny if we didn't know the OP is on a wind up mission.

Don't get drawn in to any kind of comparison of elements within the PT v OT, he likes to throw around the PT hater label no matter how reasoned and respectful people are in their views. I'm surprised there aren't immature videos posted yet to goad or mock those who's opinions don't tie in with his. Yawn.

5. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Moving to SWC

6. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    [​IMG]

Not playing these sorts of games here.

Darth Schlotkin likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.