main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

TV Discussion The Supernatural Force (The Ones, Priestesses, Magiks etc.)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Meeko Ghintee, Jul 20, 2016.

1. Meeko Ghintee

Meeko Ghintee Jedi Master star 3

Mar 6, 2015
    So I thought it would be neat to have a thread on how the TV shows explore the supernatural elements of the force since both Rebels and the Clone Wars seem to present it in a way that is arguably far more blatant than the movies. So here I mostly want to talk about:

1) What is the force? Are The Ones and the Priestesses representations of it, or merely powerful beings?

2) How does the force relate to the natural world? Can it be argued that Purgill and other creatures with supernatural elements are force-sensitive and control it in a way comparable to sentients? I heard somewhere that Filoni won't allow ysalamiri in the show because its inconsistent with how the show presents the Force.

3) Does the force really have a will? Is it like some conceptions of God in that it has a preference of how things should be? Or, given that multiple groups in the TV series use it, have differing opinions of it, and draw power from it (Jedi, Sith, Witches, Bardottans), is it more of an inert constant of the universe like gravity or light?

4) How do the elements in the series connect together? How do the Ones relate to the Priestesses? Could The Ones be manifesting themselves in Rebels (The White Convor is redolent of Daughter's Griffin, The Bendu is "the one in the middle", much like the Father etc.)

whostheBossk and Subtext Mining like this.
  2. Mother_Talzin

Mother_Talzin Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2014
    I don't think either of the cartoon series have given us enough to explain everything, but I enjoy the inclusion of other Force sensitive beings and cultures outside of the Jedi and Sith. I'm happy that Rebels is expanding were CW started. I'm willing to bet that elements of the Force (white Convor) are watching the events of the galactic conflict play out, as well as how Force sensitive beings interact with this war.

3. Meeko Ghintee

Mar 6, 2015
    I'm wondering how the Empire relates to the other force cultures? With that Lasat episode, it seems like the Empire is not merely opposed to the Jedi but any group of beings with connection to the Force. When Rebels came out, I was really hoping they'd focus on the non-supernatural parts of Star Wars. But they do it so well and connect things, I'm starting to come around:

Green head white body...

[​IMG]

Wacky headgear, blue eyes, pointy beard...
    [​IMG][​IMG]

And from what I hear about the pilot, both creatures are on the same planet...

4. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    I prefer a more scientific view of the Force as if it was like radiation or gravity. Literally a force (pun intended) of nature.

cwustudent and Meeko Ghintee like this.
  5. Meeko Ghintee

Mar 6, 2015
    I don't think that's how Lucas intended it to be, but I think there's room for that interpretation and its kinda fun to think about. For, if the Force truly has a will tending towards light, why does it allow the Sith or Witches to channel it? One could interpret the teachings of the Jedi, Sith, Ones, not as statements of what "is" but as philosophical points of view interpreting an ambivalent phenomena. The "will of the Force" being a Star Wars equivalent of "God is really on our side."

6. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    That's why like a scientific view. It favors nobody.

cwustudent likes this.
  7. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    A creature of that size must have immense Force power, although according to Yoda size mattered not. Don't know. The Light and the Dark were concepts created especially for TFA, it was a major theme, especially in the concept art and book. Maybe old Bendu is somehow connected to Old Snoke. Maz is an oddball Force character as well, seemingly trained to use the Force but not a Jedi Knight but clearly aligned with them. I think they make it up as they go along. Talzin herself was somekinda ghoul and ghast out've D&D or something.

8. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    well, as far as canon goes its all in the midi-chlorians. I wonder if fruits have midi-chlorians, and if a force wielder ate it, they could become more force attune/powerful?

9. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    I heard an intresting theory.

Anakin on Tatooine. Few trees. Goes to Naboo w/ many trees. Blows up a ship.

Luke, same as above. Goes to Yavin 4 w/ many trees. Blows up DS-1.

Rey on Jakku. Few Trees. Goes to Takodana w/ many trees. Haves a Force Vision. Latter on SKB w/ many trees kicks Ren's behind.

This Force Tree theory is looking more & more real.

10. CnlSandersdeKFC

CnlSandersdeKFC Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 22, 2015
    I'm enjoying the mystical interpretation of the force being used for most of the new canon. Now let's hope "Midi-chlorians," are never mentioned again.

11. Jar Jar All The Way

Jar Jar All The Way Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 17, 2014
    Midi-chlorians are just a tool the force uses. They by no means are the force.

Sent from George Lucas' iPhone

cwustudent likes this.
  12. Meeko Ghintee

Mar 6, 2015

To bring it back to the Daughter/Father connection, anyone notice what perched on the Bendu's horn?

darklordoftech likes this.
  13. revan772

revan772 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 5, 2014
    I hope we get to see Mortis again. I feel it was an important arc, that I really enjoyed, and would love to see more of its lore.

14. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015

I never want to see or hear that wacky, diamond shaped, bad dream planet ever again.

cwustudent likes this.
  15. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    Well, that's hardly new. There have been others (in Legends but still) before like the Jensaarai, the Aing-Tii monks, the Jal Shey, the Matukai, the Fallanassi, the Baran Do Sages, the Ysanna, etc. I don't like that they chose the Witches of Dathomir of all the factions. They were my least favorite. Figures. :p

Also, I don't get why people like Mortis and its respective arc so much. The only reason it really exists is to be a ridiculous overcompensation for midichlorians. I don't understand how one "preserves the mystique" of the Force by making it originate from a bunch of god-like entities in the form of the Ones. You're really going from a sci-fi world-building explanation (which is not all that bad and still doesn't explain how the Force works) to an extreme fantasy explanation. There's no progress being made here.

Darth Basin likes this.
  16. revan772

revan772 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 5, 2014
    I enjoyed it for multiple reasons. I love Midiclorians, and I would like to know more about them too. (I must be the most unpopular person on these forums today.)

One reason is the actual story of it. I loved what they did, I loved how pretty it looked, I loved the original characters and what they added to the story, I just think it was overall a good arc of episodes that I will always enjoy. Though I know that is hella controversial, especially here. :p

17. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    "I love Midichlorians, and..."

Well that's the 1st time I seen that anywhere.

CoolyFett and revan772 like this.
  18. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    I really hoped that they would stick with this instead rather than the "Force having a free will with a preference nonsense" because all of the interesting philosophical aspects that arose from actually people tapping into the Force's potential and seeing the repercussions from their actions and how it relates to their characters are severely diminished. What attracts me to the prophecy, for example, is that the Jedi Order took it as a piece of superstition that they ended up taking too literally which resulted in them creating one of their finest warriors whom ultimately caused their downfall. There is so much that can be done with this without the restrictions that come with deities. Seeing growth and wisdom gained from one's own choices using the Force was one of the most interesting aspects of the mythos and to see it go in such a generic direction would be a shame. Besides, are characters like The Father, The Daughter and the Son not just another version of gods we've seen before?

whostheBossk and Subtext Mining like this.
  19. Mother_Talzin

Mother_Talzin Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2014
    There is a big difference in a canon cartoon and Legends comics and novels that may no longer be relevant. Unless those cultures are retconned at some point, they may no longer "exist" in the new canon. CW and Rebels introduced many Force elements beyond the Jedi & Sith that the movies never touched. TFA began to introduce new dark side factions, but we still don't have concrete information on them. I'm hoping Rebels and Episode 8 continue to expand and develop beyond what we've already seen.

20. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    Can't have TOO many Force groups. Or the Force will loose it's mysticism.

ConservativeJedi321 likes this.
  21. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    I know, I'm just saying that this isn't exactly new, conceptually speaking.

22. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I wonder: Did the Ones, the Priestesses, the Bendu, etc. exist before the Jedi and Sith?

cwustudent and King Maul like this.
  23. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015

Well they do look ancient.

darklordoftech likes this.
  24. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    They were last mentioned in 2013-14 I forget which year specifically though.

25. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Han Solo: This map's not complete. It's just a piece. Ever since Luke disappeared, people have been looking for him.
    Rey: Why did he leave?
    Han Solo: He was training a new generation of Jedi. One boy, an apprentice, turned against him, destroyed it all. Luke felt responsible. He just walked away from everything.
    Finn: Do you know what happened to him?
    Han Solo: A lot of rumors. Stories. People that knew him best think he went looking for the first Jedi temple.
    Rey: The Jedi were real?
    Han Solo: I used to wonder about that myself. Thought it was a bunch of mumbo-jumbo. A magical power holding together good and evil, the dark side and the light. Crazy thing is... it's true. The Force. The Jedi... All of it... It's all true.

Meeko Ghintee likes this.