main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The Supreme Court

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Oct 9, 2011.

1. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

2. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    c'mon tunes, that has to be your new signature

Point Given and EHT like this.
  3. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    The opinion came at the right time. The court didn't wait for years after public opinion had evolved in favor of marriage equality.

I can't help think that the Mormons deserve some credit for making this happen. The vicious LDS campaign against gay marriage helped the American public see reason about how counterproductive and morally vindictive opposition to gay marriage was at heart.

4. darth-calvin

darth-calvin Jedi Grand Master star 2

Dec 10, 2002
    I would say that all the vitriol from the ultra conservatives contributed greatly to the pace of change. The seething hatred (and it was often seething despite claims of "love the sinner" crap) was just never going to hold very long when continually demonizing people's loved ones. #thankyoufredphelps

5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I saw one on my feed. Then I pressed a button. And then there wasn't.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

6. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999

I think the inability of anyone anywhere to ever articulate a plausible reason why gay marriage was going to in any way hurt or even inconvenience them also played a part.

7. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    To turn away from gay marriage for just a moment, I'm concerned about the Arizona redistricting commission ruling that's coming on Monday. I think they're going to rule against it, which will dismantle the commission. It's one of only a handful nonpartisan commissions in the country, and may be unique for all I know. I just know it's rare. I can honestly say I don't live in a gerrymandered area or state.

8. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    California also has some sort of nonpartisan redistricting.

9. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001

Could be done away with on Monday then, I assume.

10. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    So it would be a broad ruling, then? ****.

11. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    I guess it wouldn't have to be. Maybe it depends on how the respective commissions were set up. I would imagine, though, that if Arizona's goes down and CA's doesn't immediately follow, there will be teams of lawyers aiming to do that next.

http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news...e-monday-here-s-what-you-need-to-know-7444296

http://www.nationaljournal.com/poli...nal-maps-in-arizona-and-other-states-20150624

12. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    “One would think that dp4m's brain is quite absurd. Really?”

So, basically every conversation that KW and I have ever had! :p

mavjade , Ramza and KnightWriter like this.
  13. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Has a vast supply of matches, petrol and kindling already been supplied?

[​IMG]

14. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    I guess you don't consider being forced out of business by the government an "inconvenience".......

15. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    Kind of disappointed in the ruling, was hoping it would go farther. But I guess we have to wait another 10 or 20 years to continue the progress of marriage equality.
    Still, good ruling for what it was.

16. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    My Scalia burn compared my thoughts to Cheop's pyramid. Basically my brain is a Great Wonder of the World.

I am quite touched, Antonin.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

17. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Great news.

On the Last Leg they mentioned that US opponents of it are so outraged they're going to move to Canada!

It's been legal in Canada for a decade! [face_laugh]

Juliet316, Ghost, Vaderize03 and 2 others like this.
  18. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Not to mention the civil rights /housing law decision.

19. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Pay-Per-View?

Hell, I'll sell tickets.

20. Sniper_Wolf

Sniper_Wolf Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    I've long wondered if the actions of stupid believers turns people away from the church just as much if not more than any science advancement. The LDS pantomime is hilarious given the church's history to start polygamous theocracies when left alone. Every family has one or two nutbags in the family tree. The LDS too many nutbags for anyone knowledgeable of their history to take their triangulation seriously.

darth-calvin and Juliet316 like this.
  21. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000

Forgot that started again tonight. Brilliant show!

22. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Yes, you do win.
    The people who I expected to freak out have been very quiet today, I expect it won't be for long. (Or they are people I've already blocked from my news feed). I've had a few "I'm not going to say anything" 's, though.

My Scalia insult:
    “One would think that mavjade's interpretations are a threat to American democracy. Whatever that means.”

EHT, Juliet316, Ghost and 1 other person like this.
  23. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Mine either.

Either the anti-same-sex-marriage people unfriended me or I unfriended them a long time ago.

Absolutely for the best.

I'm sort of looking forward to, just out of sheer morbid curiosity, screen caps from the Facebook page of my bat**** crazy college roommate. Another college friend sends them to me occasionally just for the LOLz.

I'm sure the war on Christians that began with Starbucks and Ben & Jerry's has ended with the Supreme Court. Satan is taking over, people.

Juliet316 and Jedi Ben like this.
  24. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    ONE post on my facebook feed told me a friend shall have to remove someone else from their Friends list as a result of this decision.

25. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Fair point [face_coffee]

Perhaps a better idea, so as not to derail this thread, would be a separate thread about the connection between political ideology and violence in the US?

Juliet316 likes this.