main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The Supreme Court

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Oct 9, 2011.

1. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    They haven't tacked to the "center" for the general since Reagan. The base keeps insisting that the center is "hard-right", which is part of the reason they continue to have difficulty winning the Presidency.

2. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Well, this is a major reason why I'm skeptical of the idea that HRC is necessarily fated to be a one-term president. I agree that she'll have a harder time than most in getting a second term, but there has to be a competent Republican who can somehow appeal to both the base and the center. After Trump, it's going to be hard to appease the base with dog whistles-- they're used to a megaphone now.

Democrats won just once between 1964 and 1992, and 1976 was a narrow victory. They got back to winning because they found a candidate who appealed to what the country wanted to hear, among other reasons.

Vaderize03 likes this.
  3. Ellen Joan Sparling

Ellen Joan Sparling Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 12, 2013
    Garland's been a good trouper despite being jerked around by the GOP. He deserves confirmation hearings and an up or down vote.

Juliet316 likes this.
  4. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    LOL @ how this turned out.

Looks like it will be Gorsuch or Hardiman, he invited both to the White House for the 8pm ET announcement. But who knows.

5. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Both? Is he going to make them sit there as he chooses one live?

Ghost likes this.
  6. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012

Rock paper scissors apparently.

7. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

I posited that he thinks he's going to West Wing it because it's the most liberal of his picks, and the most conservative of his picks... but he doesn't realize that's not how any of that works.

8. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Underestimate him, good idea!

9. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Celebrity-Apprentice style, maybe?

He keeps telling everyone to tune into 8pm tonight. I guess because he wants his TV ratings to beat the Governator's.

10. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Exactly why I won't be watching. He is like Tinkerbell. Deprive him of his applause and he'll die. Pay attention to what he's doing, but do it from news sources and ensure he doesn't get the high ratings he so craves. That is how we ended up in this mess in the first place.

11. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
    It's Gorsuch then. An interesting fact is that he clerked for Kennedy, so if he gets confirmed he would be the first clerk to serve simultaneously with the justice he clerked for. This also leads to the possibility that the two of them might vote similar though that's not set in stone (as childhood friends Blackmun and Burger can attest to).

A big thing is that he objected to the result of Chevron v NRDC which held that courts should defer to federal agencies' (reasonable) interpretations of what statutes that administer. He's also a typical religious freedom guy, against euthanasia. Since he seems to be a big originalist along the lines of Scalia, this pick could backfire on Trump himself if he overreaches, though that's about the best that liberals can hope for.

12. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Don't call it religious freedom, because what the Christian Right considers to be religious freedom isn't really religious freedom so much as it is a one-sided favoring of Christians and their beliefs at the expense of everybody else. This is the sort of Fox News and Newt Gingrich style propaganda labeling that's allowed this sort of garbage to gain much more traction than it should have...so we should start by rejecting those labels.

13. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
    Yeah no ****. I'm not confused about the matter. I'm mocking it by calling it that.

DarthTunick likes this.
  14. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    That why you put quotes around it.

15. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
  16. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Not a bad quote from a guy who is supposed to be a conservative madman, the impartiality of the judicial process should totally be a thing:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/powe...83e627dc120_story.html?utm_term=.1c61d9484744

“I have no difficulty ruling against or for any party other than based on what the law and the facts of a particular case require,” Gorsuch told the panel. “And I’m heartened by the support I have received from people who recognize that there’s no such thing as a Republican judge or a Democratic judge — we just have judges in this country."

During the presidential campaign last year, Trump said that he would nominate people to the Supreme Court who would overrule Roe v. Wade and return decisions on abortion to the states.
    Sen. Lindsey O. Graham (R-S.C.) asked Gorsuch whether Trump had asked him to do that during his interview before his nomination.

“Senator, I would have walked out the door,” Gorsuch replied.

17. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    Vaderize03 and Ghost like this.
  18. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    Will Kennedy announcement his retirement today? Place your bets here.

19. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I don't have a bet, only an "I really hope not."

Vaderize03 likes this.
  20. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    They are taking up the baker case. I really don't see him retiring if they are hearing that one.

Vaderize03 likes this.
  21. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    The leave the ***** Travel ban in place. SMFH.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  22. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    i mean just until they hear the case and rule on it, no?

23. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    But it feels like an indication of what the final ruiling will be, just like not putting a stay on any lower court same - sex marriage ruilings were an early indication of where the court would rule on same - sex marriage.

24. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    The answer was "no."

25. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Eh, yes and no. The travel ban is now reinstated and can't be reheard until the oral arguments in October. As well, three Justices already basically signaled that not only would they vote in favor -- but they'd be okay with indefinite bans and the President's unilateral power to do such things.

So, it's a bit troubling, especially since there wasn't THAT much dissent in the lower circuits.

Rew likes this.