main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Games The SWC Senate - Aflame

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Sinrebirth , Jan 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rainbow Knight Star

Rainbow Knight Star Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 18, 2005
    OOC:

I regret to inform everyone that I must leave this game. I will be watching, so best of luck and have fun.

:)

benknobi1 and Admiral Volshe like this.
  2. Tiberius Maximus

Tiberius Maximus Jedi Knight

Jan 30, 2013
    This is not a game. THIS IS LIFE. (Hehehehe)

3. benknobi1

benknobi1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2002
    OOC : Bye for now:)

4. Agarwaen the Elven King

Agarwaen the Elven King Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 13, 2013
  5. Tiberius Maximus

Tiberius Maximus Jedi Knight

Jan 30, 2013
    Hello Agarwaen! How are you today?

6. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    (this thread needs to get back on track quick)

*pod moves forward*

so is there a motion to vote on?

7. benknobi1

Jun 12, 2002
    (It's still being hashed in committee)

Admiral Volshe and Bardan_Jusik like this.
  8. aalagartassle

aalagartassle Jedi Master star 4

Jan 11, 2011
    *****moves to the podium*****
    Thankyou for the agreeance Senator, now that there is scope we need to find the money to impliment changes, how do you propose to do this?
    Will projects be subject to an application offer or will there be a set amount for each system?

On the subject of extending the art scene I would ask the senate that we start taking steps to tastefully redecorate the senate buildings seeing there is so much carbon scoring from the bomb blasts last year that sometimes I feel we are debating in a bunker of war.

****steps down****

9. benknobi1

Jun 12, 2002
    *pod moves forward*

You wanna pretty the place up eh ? Never figured you for the decorative type.

As far as concerns these "projects"... First, I am unclear on the scope of which you refer, and second, who is submitting and who is approving these applications ?

10. Chewbacca89

Chewbacca89 Jedi Master star 5

Oct 25, 2012
    The Speaker will respond to some of the points brought up by the Senator of Muunilist.

Where lies your justification that if the government does not provide incentives, that art and education will suffer? This is an outrageous claim that is insulting to the citizens of this galaxy. Are you seriously implying that unless a tax-heavy government steps in to handle things, that art and culture as we know it would fall into disarray? This is a ridiculous claim. You are clearly out of touch with the public if you think there are not a slew of private philanthropist and benefactors that would willing promote culture and art around them. You actually claim that "The government loses heritage that is priceless because of a scrupulous that have little in mind apart from their profit."? You think that governments have any desire besides profit. You can guarantee that every single credit of taxpayer money is going to be put back towards these art programs and not pocketed by greedy politicians and bureaucrats? The other issue that arises by these facilities being government funded, is the ease of which indoctrination can take shape. After all, if the government controls what art gets funded they are, in a way, deciding what aligns with the current Administration. That is all, for now.

benknobi1 likes this.
  11. benknobi1

Jun 12, 2002
    *moves pod forward*

The senator of Corellia concurs with the esteemed speaker. Corellia is home to a flourishing and vibrant community of the arts. While we do receive some funding from the senate and are most grateful, much of the financial support our artists, musicians, etc receive is from private philanthropic donation.

*moves pod back*

Chewbacca89 likes this.
  12. aalagartassle

Jan 11, 2011
    ***moves to the podium****
    To the speaker of the house, the esteem senator from Bespin . I wonder if you have been part of the government and listen to your Chancellor? It is In fact this government that heavily supports the arts and culture, the art and culture bill 234.2a , which affects taxation and reimbursement for cultural groups and venues throughout the galaxy and offers them funding. I wonder if the forefathers of this bill had the same thing in mind? It was last amended 40 years ago, before that, government support has extended from before the birth of the empire, to the old republic eras. It has always had bi- partisan support. So as you can plainly see that if the government does not support the arts financially then the arts will suffer. As to your claims that there is a slew of philanthropist willing to support all the arts, not just the ones around them. It is the governments job to in fact stop this from happening . If the private sector is solely responsible for funding then the private sector will only fund what is commercially profitable or what they are solely interested in therefore deriding the quintessential art of expression and innovation. The government has always had a great partnership with the private sector in the acceptance of that the arts is both a government and private sector responsibility. That is why the private sector is so handsomely provided with tax breaks to fund some of the many artistic projects.

As to your claims that politicians and bureaucrats are greedy, I wonder if it is this government that is in so much disarray, you accuse all the politicians in this senate that they are greedy; a very bold accusation seeing this government has supported the bill from it’s tenure, you have them pegged that they are here for self serving principles that the bottom line is more important than the health and well being of it’s citizens. One wonders why the galactic government has funded any hospitals, vaccinations, transportation systems, holonet transponders, quarantine and information services and the list goes on. Even your beloved battleships and armies don’t run at a profit.
    I see so much disarray in your party ; The chancellor decides not to debate worthwhile but far ranging weapons accountability. There is no vice chancellor yet, the speaker does not support the chancellor even though they are in the same party and calls every politician in this senate greedy because you think they want to make a profit and are self serving . One wonders how long this government will last before it breaks apart.
    As for the question posed by the senator from Corellia . As a member of the arts council on Munnillinst it has always been a passion of mine to promote the arts. I am trying to bridge the gap between the imperials and the alliance. Why can’t a statesmen promote robust debate or bipartisan support while working towards helping the galaxy. This maybe the olive branch that will not lead the galaxy to war.****waves around the senate chamber**** If both parties bring in artists from their respective systems and work together to create a work of art; this senate chamber and its associated buildings t may be a step in the right direction to show the galaxies population that the senate can be a beacon of hope, trust and working towards a better future.

****Glides back to the pod****

13. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    ***moves to the podium****

Senator Bazinga'd of Tatooine Concurs with the esteemed Senator from Munnillinst. Moreover, I would add that without proper funding of the arts, education would suffer greatly. A complete education requires inclusion of the liberal arts and lessons about culture. Without art, the culture of a society flounders and its legacy dies. For instance, great independent film makers (including historians of this great galaxy) would never have been able to develop.

****Glides back to the pod****

14. Chewbacca89

Oct 25, 2012
    How can I plainly see that without government support, the arts will suffer? All you said is that the government has supported the arts. You gave absolutely no examples where a lack of government assistance has caused liberal arts and cultural institutions to whither and die. You then claim if the pirvate sector funds these areas they will only fund what is profitable. Do you have any examples to provide for this statement? No, you do not. Do you have any proof that the government will not just fund those institutions that are profitable to it? Be it monetarily or politically? These wonderful tax breaks you mention are a joke. You do realize, that without cumbersomeness taxes to begin with, that there would be no need for tax breaks?

You think it is a bold accusation to accuse politicians of being greedy? Then you are taking offense to that statement personally? What do you call outrageous taxes that benefit those that collect them? You then contend that there is no profit in the medical field, communications, or military needs? EVERYTHING done by the government is done with profit in mind. All of these fields are taxed and regulated to an inflated amount. How is this not profit? You appear to have no understanding of how things work in the world around us to make such a childish statement.

Next you attack my political party because this has to do with the argument at hand? No you do this to distract others from the real issue. The Chancellor has every right to decide what will and wont be debated on the Senate floor. Nothing is stopping you from PM'ing others to hold a private debate on such matter as you see fit. The Vice Chancellor has RL issues that unexpectedly called him from office. He still obtains that position at this time. We are merely seeking a interim person to handle this unexpected, temporary void. Then, you attack myself for not supporting the Chancellor. I may be Speaker, but I am also the Senator of Bespin. My primary concerns are representing the people who elected me. Speaker comes next.

You then contend that everyone in the same party should support each other on every issue. That is not how politics work, my friend. Infact, wouldn't that be an example of the very corruption you deny takes place in the Senate. I am free to agree and disagree with the Chancellor however I see fit to better serve my people. I am glad your true colors are not evident though! According to you, I should throw out my opinions, ideals, and ethics just to support my "party."

In closing, you give no specific details to back up any of your statements. Instead you act like a petulant child who shows no reasoning behind your claims. You simply create a stir, protesting that the private sector are evil, greedy entities that will take The Arts and Culture out behind the house and shoot them.

That is all.

15. Chewbacca89

Oct 25, 2012
    sorry double post

16. awesomejedi

awesomejedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    I concur with the Senator from Bespin. It is ridiculous to think that we must rely on the government for art and education funding.The government is meant to provide necessary protection and guidance;we are not supposed to become dependent on the government! The people must be the ones to fund the arts! If we begin to rely on the governing bodies to provide funding, what happens next timesomething like the tragedy that occurred last year happens? Not just here, but also in the planetary governments?If we were to rely on the government for funding, we would loose our arts and education.
    That can not happen.

Chewbacca89 and benknobi1 like this.
  17. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I propose a portion of taxes, a small portion, go towards the arts and culture.

So perhaps 5% total of all taxes go towards these institutions. 2% towards culture i.e. museums, buildings, exhibitions, and the remaining 3% is divided equally between visual art, music, and dramatic arts.

The rest of the funding will be from the general public.

I believe a balance is key so that everyone within the population of the galaxy has the ability to access these arts initially. This also ensures planets will not rely upon the government for the entirety of the funding to be provided.

The populace will most likely be more content with providing a low tax and having free ability to donate versus a strict tax. Artists will be content to be guaranteed some funding for their professions.

The tax can also always be adjusted on a planet to planet basis to ensure effectiveness.

18. awesomejedi

awesomejedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    I cannot speak for the others, but I think this would be an effective compromise.

19. Chewbacca89

Oct 25, 2012
    I also, would support this compromise, Chancellor.

20. Agarwaen the Elven King

Agarwaen the Elven King Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 13, 2013
    I would support this also.

benknobi1 likes this.
  21. benknobi1

Jun 12, 2002
    The Senator of Corellia also supports the esteemed Chancellor's proposal and has formatted it into a ((resolution/bill((whatever is the appropriate term here)) -

--

Arts and Culture Reform Resolution No.23490

Introduced by the Senator of Naboo
    Referred by the Senator of Corellia

5% total of all taxes go towards arts and culture.
    § 2% towards culture i.e. museums, buildings, exhibitions.​
    § 3% is divided equally between visual art, music, and dramatic arts. ​

The tax can also always be adjusted on a planet to planet basis to ensure effectiveness.

--
    I now call for a vote.

22. Chewbacca89

Oct 25, 2012
    The Speaker would like to call a vote for the following two Resolutions:

1. After carefully and duly weighing the pros and cons of Galactic Communications Monitoring, this committee has reached the following resolution and it would also like to add the following as a preface to the resolution it presents.

On one hand, government is tasked with ensuring the safety and security of its citizens. On the other hand, in order to promote general happiness, those citizens must remain citizens, and not become "prisoners". Nor should they ever witness their rights taken away and tarnished for any reason. Even when a citizens breaks the law, they are not dispossessed of those rights. For this resolution, we balance our desire for the citizens to be protected against their inextricable right to privacy. And finally, we take this matter to be of the utmost importance and are aware of the immense responsibility placed on our shoulders.

Galactic Communications Monitoring Resolution No.4729

I. Galactic
      § Limited warrants, issued by an independent judiciary. An independent judiciary means a justice system that is not influenced by either the legislative or executive branch. It is free to make decisions based upon law, not upon men or pressure from other groups. An independent judiciary is created to guarantee equal justice to all. Judges and juries are free from influence and can make fair and honest decisions about cases. Decisions can be reached without fear of retaliation from other groups or special interests.
      § Warrants issued by a court after a request is submitted by an independent galactic investigative body after showing probable cause.
      II. Planetary considerations
      § Corellia
      §§ Private Communications monitoring, such as recording of calls may occur with the consent of both or all parties.
      III. Employer Communications monitoring
      § Yes, if the call is work related.
      § No, if the call is personal.
      IV. Private Communications monitoring.
      § Subject to planetary laws
      §§ See Section II.
      ----
      This Committee reached this resolution thanks to the hard work of benknobi1 and Bardan_Jusik.
    2. Arts and Culture Reform Resolution No.23490

Introduced by the Senator of Naboo
      Referred by the Senator of Corellia

5% total of all taxes go towards arts and culture.

§ 2% towards culture i.e. museums, buildings, exhibitions.
      § 3% is divided equally between visual art, music, and dramatic arts.

The tax can also always be adjusted on a planet to planet basis to ensure effectiveness. (Thanks to benknobi1 for this formatted version of the Resolution.)
    I, as Speaker will keep a running tally of the votes for each resolution. I propose, with the approval of Admiral Volshe, a voting period of 1 week for these Resolutions. This will make the voting period end on February 28, 2013 at 12:30am (EST). I encourage all Senators to cast their votes as promptly as possible. Thank you, and that is all.

23. benknobi1

Jun 12, 2002
    1. Yes.
    2. Yes.
    --
    Chewbacca89 could you please specify the time zone ?:)

24. Chewbacca89

Oct 25, 2012
    Sorry. I fixed it. ;)

benknobi1 likes this.
  25. aalagartassle

Jan 11, 2011
    I will start with the issues raised by the senator of Bespin first and then address the more demanding issues later.
    I will quote from the esteemed member first and let the senate decide whether the senator holds true to his argument.
    You asked me a question on whether you should ….
    “ According to you, I should throw out my opinions, ideals, and ethics just to support my "party."
    So let us see what support you give to your party or constituents, your morals and ethics to support a party platform.
    I’ll make it in simple quotes for ease and let the truth speak for itself.
    “I am opposed to such establishments being government funded. They should rely solely on private funding.”
    “I am opposed to the government funding these institutions because all this does is add a further burden on the taxpayer. There is enough public support for such things through private donors and charities.”
    Remember these are your words Senator.
    And then….
    "I also, would support this compromise, Chancellor. "
    So much for ethics, opinions and ideals.
    And now to your evidence you so sorely want. I will refer you to the Galactic museum when funding ceased by the Emperor Palpatine and I quote

"Though the Emperor has been forced to eliminate funding for the museum, due to costs incurred in snuffing out the damaging rebellion against his rule” Galactic museum. [wookipedia]
    It was then funded privately by philanthropists who wanted to curry favour with the government of the day so only imperial propaganda perspectives were exhibited. Wings of anti imperial design were annexed. Pieces that had non human input was put into the soco sector for storage. The art pieces from the non human perspective were only revived after the fall of the Emperor Palpatine and when funding started to be government backed. As you can plainly see government funding was cut and only private sectors contributed to the funding… to it’s detriment.

Or another imperial sentiment by Admiral Daala
    ” We have Chief of State Daala to thank for it. Her leadership of the GA has resulted in a resurgence of interest in late Republicana and early Imperial artifacts.” [wookiepedia

And finally how long has this been an institution for the government to support the arts
    The conflict was peacefully resolved by Supreme Chancellor Fillorean and the Star Dragon philosopher Borz'Mat'oh, who together founded the University of Coruscant. At some time prior to 12,000 BBY, the Galactic Museum was established on Coruscant. [wookipedia]

Now I would also like to point out the benefits that funding the arts has on the galactic economy. "the needs involved and benefits of past assistance", concludes that continued galactic support is important.
    Targeted tax incentives attract private investment in the arts and stimulate cultural production in this important segment of the galactic economy. They also encourage business to engage with the arts sector
    The Cultural Gifts Program offers tax incentives, in the form of deductions and capital gains tax exemptions, to private donors to the nation's public collections.
    Cultural bodies listed on the Register of Cultural Organisations can receive tax deductible donations to assist them with a wide range of activities, for example the creation of a new theatrical work, the publication of a literary magazine or the building of a community arts centre.
    It promotes taxable resources.
    If you put your clothes in a clothes dryer, the energy you spend is part of the measured economy. Hang them on the clothesline and they disappear from our economy.

Each year, the Bureau of Economic Analysis estimates the value added by major industry groups, including performing arts, sports, and museums. “Value added” refers to an industry’s contribution to the galactic economy through its labor and capital, excluding material and energy costs. More detailed industry breakouts that isolate the performing arts and museums from sports are conducted every five years, most recently for 122 ABY data. That year, for example, value added from sports was $16.9 trillion, value added from the performing arts was $7.2 trilliion, and value added from museums was $4.7 trillion. More Research on the Arts and GDP: Measuring Value as Investment
    NEA Research Note #104 examines the arts’ contribution to the galaxy gross domestic product strictly in terms of “value added” through labor and capital spending (plus taxes on production). But another way to understand the arts in relation to GDP is to view the arts as a contribution to our galaxy’s capital assets—and then to track how those investments affect GDP over time.

In the June 122 ABY edition of the Survey of Current Business, Galactic Bureau of Economic Analysis economist Rachel Soloveichik attempts to do just that. Her article, “Research Spotlight: Artistic Originals as Capital Assets,” describes the BEA’s plan to count the production of selected long-lived artworks as investment spending that adds to the Galactic stock of capital.

According to the BEA, long-lived assets are theatrical movies; recorded music; books; television programs such as dramas and sitcoms; and miscellaneous artwork (theatrical play scripts, greeting card designs, and commercial stock photography). Although this new accounting treatment is slated to take place soon, preliminary estimates show that the value of investment in these artistic originals totalled $51.6 quadtrilliion in 134 ABY; the aggregate capital stock of these types of investments (going back to 1500 BBY) is valued at $440 Trillion, investment in these long-lived assets grew from 0.21 percent of current-dollar GDP to 0.35 percent.
    [I have changed the dates and value only by making it trillions instead of millions to properly assess the galactic galaxy.]

Below are links to Soloveichik’s research article, as well as an additional paper she has co-authored, further exploring the effects of “long-lived artworks” on calculations of GDP.

“Research Spotlight: Artistic Originals as Capital Assets”
    http://www.bea.gov/scb/pdf/2011/06%20June/0611_artistic.pdf

So the long and short of it senators.. I firmly support the changes made to this bill. 5% is excessive of the whole of the galaxies taxes but I look forward to seeing the end products the artists introduce from the revenue they use.
    On the other proposal I will weigh the pro's and cons of the introduced bill before time expires

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.