main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Games The SWC Senate - Reconstruction

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Bardan_Jusik, Sep 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheCIS

TheCIS Jedi Padawan star 2

Apr 21, 2013
    how about Bespin Malastare? it has never been represented (i think) in the last 13 years of senate history.

And yes, the Senate game has been operating (one way or another) for 13 years

2. Master Selkath

Master Selkath Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 5, 2013
    Maybe Rodia, Ithor or Mon Calamari. All three would be good choices as well as Malastare.

If you do Mon Calamari than I would choose between the Mon Cala and the Quarran

Admiral Volshe likes this.
  3. WriterMan

WriterMan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2012
    Things on Endor are going swimingly. Trade negotiations between the Ewoks and humans on Endor have been very successful. As long as we can keep the Czerka Corporation out of our system, we will be very well off. :D

4. tazscout97

tazscout97 Jedi Youngling

Dec 11, 2013
    Is any one a senator for Glee Anslem?

5. Master Selkath

Oct 5, 2013
    I do not believe so

6. TheCIS

Apr 21, 2013
    +++the speaker rises. his condition has worsened.+++

senator selkath is quite correct, tazscout97. Glee Anselm has not had representation for quite some time now. I am sure they would be honored to have you as their representative.

coughs

coughs again-medical droid looks on

senators, we still do have the constitutional amendement to discuss-remember +++coughs violently +++

sorry about that...remember though, that there will be no amendements to the consititonal amendement. This (coughs) has been approved by the moderators though.:

The Appointments Bill

Motion to change the constitution-Senate Appointments, Rule 5.2,
    Proposed: TheCIS of Geonosis
    Seconded:

OVERVIEW
    This motion allows the Senate to vote on the Chancellor's appointments to the heads of committees. This change applies only to the Military Staff Committee and the Trade and Finance Committee. The Committee on Legislation is a procedural committee and shall be excluded from this process.

PROCEDURE FOR APPOINTMENTS
    The procedure is as follows:

1. The Chancellor appoints a Senator to be the Head of a committee.

2. The Senate votes votes on whether or not that Senator should be the Head of that committee. The Senator will be confirmed as the Head of that committee if the Senate votes in the affirmative in a simple majority vote.

3. The Chancellor's appointment of a Senator to be the Head on a committee will be withdrawn if the Senate does not confirm that Senator as the Head of that committee (see point 2). At this point, the Chancellor will appoint another Senator to be the Head of that committee.

The Senator who is eventually elected to head a committee will first ask the Senate for volunteers to fill their committee. If no (or if a prohibitively low number) of Senators are forthcoming in volunteering, then the Chancellor will appoint Senators to the respective committee. If too large a number of Senators volunteer for a committee, then the Chancellor will decide who shall be upon that committee by selecting out of the volunteering group the Senators required to adequately fill that committee.

TERM LIMITS
    Unless otherwise directed by the Mod or agreed to by the Senate, Committee Chairmanships (and Committees) end upon the conclusion of the term of the Chancellor. This means that, upon the election of a new (and they must be new, not upon winning re-election) Chancellor, the positions of the Heads of the committees are declared open and the previous Heads of committees, as well as their members, are removed from their posts. The new (again, not re-elected, but freshly elected) Chancellor will then go through the procedure outlined above to find new heads for the committees, who will then appoint committee members. Previous Heads of committees may be appointed once more, and the members of the committees may also be appointed once more; in this way, there are no 'term limits' for committee heads or for members of the committees.

FOR

AGAINST

Please (collapses).

7. Aaronaman

Aaronaman Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 12, 2013
    'Laugh it up The Star Wars Archivist, it's always good to laugh......I Mean.....I laughed long into the night when I heard your self appointed crew couldn't even make it to my system with out being disposed of hahahahahahaha....that's the trouble with many here, short memories, I never forget and I especially never forgive!'

8. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    A good memory is vital....but forgiveness is as well.

An absolute philosophy on forgiving is never good. We must all know when to show mercy or good faith and when to hold people accountable for their actions. Not all offences are the same, not all intentions worthy of severe punishment.

Master Selkath likes this.
  9. Master Selkath

Oct 5, 2013
    Aaronaman those people died so I don't think it is a laughing matter.

Well apparently you never forgive or forget but you some how forgave the hutt's for what they did to you so I would rethink that statement.

10. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Senators and colleagues-

In order to prevent any question as to the integrity of the sanction, I am passing on the requirement to the next Chancellor to impose sanction on Senator Aaronaman.

Admiral Volshe likes this.
  11. The Star Wars Archivist

The Star Wars Archivist Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 22, 2013
    You laughed about the deaths of a diplomatic crew? Disgusting. Tendon went to your system to not only help other planets, but the Amani people. And I bet you found it funny especially since it was your fault. You never forget and never forgive. Good. You will receive nothing from Skako but disdain. Our planet already sees you as an unstable warmonger. You continue to create a bad image of yourself and your planet.

12. aalagartassle

aalagartassle Jedi Master star 4

Jan 11, 2011
    The price Maridun is to pay senator is detrimental to the planets prosperity, in due time as I have recalled all my dignataries to that planet and all banking, financial and transport guild aid that effectively has his self imposed blockade all the more harder on his peoples. I wonder when the senator will realise that he is an even greater criminal to this body than the Hutts that once occupied his planet. In due time senator, in due time.
    I wonder who shall be such a candidate?

Master Selkath likes this.
  13. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    To be determined.

14. Master Selkath

Oct 5, 2013
    Let us hope that candidate is ready when the time comes as do I agree with Aalagar's statement about the issue and and fully back his decision of recalling his assets from the system.

To Aaronaman this is the last time I ask you to take the blockade down. You are making yourself look like a warmonger with the deaths of Skako's diplomatic team and an unstable person. This can still be solved without hostile action but people are starting to get angry. I look at this situation as a problem that can easily can be solved yet you are too stubborn to take it down. Do not bring your people down this dark path because when you will need us many will not come and your world will have a shadow over it and your people will suffer. Please senator don't make this harder than it already is. Do not bring your world down because of this pointless blockade. I promise that if any hostile action is taken after your blockade is lifted they will answer to Manaan. Just don't hurt your people because you are too stubborn to take down this blockade.

15. The Star Wars Archivist

The Star Wars Archivist Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 22, 2013
    Aaronaman its funny, you're doing more harm to your planet and people now than you ever protected them with the blockade. Now look as you can barely support a planet with no trade or flow of credits. I would not be surprised if many Amani died on the surface because of your stubborn block-headedness.

As for the recently brought up bill, I don't see why it has been created. All committees so far have been organised by appointments and all of them have proved fairly successful in their tasks. Voting for a new head of committee every time we have a new chancellor is going to be hectic and tedious. As for the volunteering, I believe Chancellor's can still make good decisions in who they choose. (For example, Bazinga'd usually chooses new members for committees.)

16. TheCIS

Apr 21, 2013
    +++a droid hands a letter to the clerk of the Senate, who reads it out loud for all Senators to hear+++

Dear Senators,

In my near state of incapacitation, i would like to say a few words on the new Appointments Bill.

The reason for it is to create a) something additional to do each month, b) allow the committee heads to better reflect the wishes of the Senate, and c) allows the Senate to continue down the road to greater democracy.

It will not be hectic. Indeed, there are only two positions up for review-the Head of the Military Staff Committee, and the Head of the Trade and Finance Committee.

These are small steps, but i hope that the Senate embraces them. When the Senate grows wiser and larger, we can then expand this idea into other facets of the Senate.

I hope to be well soon, but this sudden illness is stronger than our physicians had thought...

Please consider my remarks,

TheCIS

+++the clerk of the Senate sits+++

Chewbacca89 likes this.
  17. Admiral Volshe

Sep 2, 2012
    There are two positions currently. The bill will not necessarily be so simply followed in the future.....I stand by my earlier points.

I believe that there are ways to incorporate this idea that will be more efficient.

18. TheCIS

Apr 21, 2013
    OOC (can't be bothered to make too many letters): what is there to stop the bill from being followed in the manner prescribed in the bill? The bill says how it will work, it isn't that difficult to stick by it.

As for the positions, the senate will debate whether other appointments should be contested by the senate at the time. For now, though, there are only two. A future Senate will decide whether that number should be increased or decreased, and i am sure that at that time (whether the number is decreased or increased) the senate will introduce the necessary safeguards to either lengthen or shorten the amount of time dedicated to debating the appointsments and such (according to what the senate feels is apporapite).

i am sorry to say, though, that the current bill will not actually be amended here. i am very well aware of the irony of not being able to democractically change a bill purporting to increase democracy in the senate, but that is what the moderator wants.

19. Admiral Volshe

Sep 2, 2012
    Since it cannot be amended in any way, I must give it a no vote. It's going to make things too disorganized for a variety of reasons.

20. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    Senators-

First, the "Appointments Bill" is not a bill. It is an amendment to the Constitution. Please ensure that you use the correct terms of art, because words matter in how a piece of legislation is titled. For instance, a bill requires a simple majority to pass, while an amendment to the constitution requires 2/3 vote.

Second, and while I have not decided my vote on the Amendment, there are issues that arise from the proposed changes to the appointment system. Primarily, these changes will make the Senate harder to manage. Instead of spending time debating on substantive legislation, this amendment will bog the Senate down in bureaucracy dealing with committees. Presumably, when you vote for a Chancellor, you are voting for his or her judgment in appointing Chairman and committee members. If the Chancellor goes off the rails, vote him or her out at the next election.

OOC: This amendment could clog up this game. For efficiency sake, the Chancellor has to be able to move story lines along, and a Senate check on that power could lead to what happened last month. The Chancellor is not just the head of state IC, the Chancellor is also the game manager as well. In that role, the Chancellor has to be given the discretion to direct story flow if things bog down with in game infighting.

21. Master Selkath

Oct 5, 2013
    I must also give it a no vote, I know you had good intentions by this bill but it can really slow the game down.

22. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    On a more personal matter. . . . .

Mr. Speaker TheCIS

I notice your medical condition is rapidly worsening. Are you getting the proper medical treatment?

23. Master Selkath

Oct 5, 2013
    Yes TheCIS is your medical condition alright. I could offer one of the best selkath medics on Manaan to help you if you need it.

24. TheCIS

Apr 21, 2013
    +++the clerk of the Senate speaks. He is holding a letter from TheCIS, which addresses many of the concerns of the Senate+++

Greetings again, Senators.

Before I move on to speak about my debilitating condition, I must say a few words about the amendment. Whatever does happen to this proposal, I think it a mark of the Senate's high maturity that we can at least discuss it in a civil and calm and understanding manner. You know that, above all else, I would like my Speakership to be marked as such. Whether it passes or not, I cannot be sure. I only ask that you think deeply about it, and about what it can mean for future members of this chamber.

My sickness is a mystery to our physicians on Geonosis, and, as yet, we are unable to pinpoint any reason for it.

We do, however, suspect poisoning. I appreciate Manaan's offer of medical assistance, but there are some members of our Security detail who would be against that, Senator.

You see, they suspect that a Selkath terrorist is behind these events! I ask Manaan to conduct the necessary security reviews to find this rogue-he is not in our system, we can assure you of that.

We ask our allies in the Senate to do their level best to find this individual, who would dare to disrupt the bountiful ties between Manaan and Geonosis, and indeed the affairs of the Senate.

I wish you all the best in your endeavours,

TheCIS

+++the clerk of the Senate sits+++

25. Master Selkath

Oct 5, 2013
    TheCIS the Ahto High Court and our army will look into this immediately. We will do all in our power to find out who this terrorist is. We have had a few incidents on Manaan lately but we have never thought they would target another world. They are a group that has caused us problems because they want our peaceful government taken down. I want you all to know this terrorist is not part of our government and will be dealt with. We do hope it is not from Manaan but we will make sure that if it is from Manaan it will be brought to justice.

TheCIS likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.