main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Games The SWC Senate - The Reign of the New Galactic Empire!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Sinrebirth , Jun 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    The reliability of Mandalorian troops should never be in question. Once we are paid, your money imbues us with the morality of your cause. So don't look down upon us aruetii for doing a job that so many of your own kind are unwilling or unable to do. We do the job better than anyone and as a wise man once said, if you are good at something, never do it for free.

If individual systems wish to hire Protectors to augment their own security, that should be a private matter between the government of those systems and the Mandalorians they hire. So long as they are not used to threaten the peace within the Republic, or have not been funded by the Republic, it is really none of this Senate's concern.

I would thus support a measure allowing any system to hire elements of the Mandalorian Protectors to help with their own defense. Provided of course that these are defense pacts only, and our men and women are not to be used to make war against other worlds within the Republic. That would cost extra. We will of course retain a large enough force to defend our space as well.

2. Darth Dreadwar

Darth Dreadwar Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 26, 2010
    Oh, take no offense Senator, I was not remotely implying Mandalorian forces are unreliable. I was merely suggesting the act of hiring armies brings into question issues of reliability across the board, and promotes the wrong image.

I just find any option that does not involve hiring protection preferable.

3. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    Ah, you are implying that if the people must hire striile to guard them, than they themselves must be wounded Nerfs. I can understand that.

The fact remains though, that some systems have asked for assistance, and the Protectors stand ready to provide that, given a substantial fee of course. Their use would cause the least amount of disruption to the defenses of other systems. They are also used to fighting for people other than their own. Something that some in the Stellar navies may not take so easily.

4. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    The act of using local forces, however, allows for systems to all but occupy each other.

The only way I'd allow for the New Esstran Army to defend Bastion is if it was nationalised.

Anyone else think that would be an appropriate solution?

5. Darth Dreadwar

Jan 26, 2010
    Indeed, that was my point, Senator Bardan.

The New Esstran Army is nationalised, Senator Sinre, or at least, was when formed initially; it is not a private fleet of Korriban alone but a sizable national fleet and army with recruits drawn from across the Esstran Sector. The name is something of a misnomer, one supposes; it is named thus as it is situated within this glorious sector due to the Stygian Caldera's natural use as a defensive fortress.

True, it may be less nationalised than some 'stellar fleets' due to its stationary position within the Esstran for quite a while now, but I am confident there are more than enough seasoned officers within that fleet to make it a powerful defense fleet for Iridonia, Dantooine and Bastion.

I cannot speak for the Senator of Onderon, but I am sure Onderon's fleet would help greatly.

6. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    If the Senator for Bastion would prefer a "national" force I would be willing to support that. After all I don't want to force a system to accept Mandalorian protection. However with such a force operating far from its usual area of responsibility it might leave other areas vulnerable to incursions from pirates and other rabble rousers. Which brings me to my original point. Should we allow such areas to be "underprotected" for the duration of this crisis or shall we fill in gap with either Mandalorian Protectors or newly constructed fleets?

7. JediMaster1511

JediMaster1511 Jedi Grand Master star 10

Jul 15, 2010
    Hiring Mandalorian help is a option worth exploring I believe.

Look at it like this, everyday we go to our offices, up many stories and levels. How do we get to the top most part where our respective offices? Turbolifts, of course. And when constructing a building does one ever question the cost of a lift? No. Why? Well, who wants to take the stairs up 20, 30, 40, or more stories everyday? So the cost of a lift is never questioned, it is a neccessity to have them.

I view the potential hiring of the Mandalorians in a similair way. It is no doubt cheaper to take away from a stronger inner core planet, or an overly bolstered mid to outer rim planet, but is it actually cheaper? As pointed out pirating can increase, which undercuts our economy, and can cause a loss in revenue for our government. This loss of revenue could end up equalling or even surpassing that of the cost that the Mandalorians would by being hired under our services. Is it then cost effective at that point?

They can make great live in defensive units on the planets, and we know they can operate well in small numbers. We can even explore the options of moving small fleets to the sectors these planets inhabit.

We cannot dismiss the option of hiring Madalorians, since the cost does seem well worth it.

8. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    Well said Chancellor. My views on this are of course well known by now, no need for me to beat a dead rancor. Still I would like to hear what the other Senators feel on the situation.

9. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    That and there is no cloud of 'foreign occupation', were such a misguided perception to be accrued.

*smiles politely at Dreadwar*

10. Darth Dreadwar

Jan 26, 2010
    *smiles politely back at Sinre*

Well, my offer of providing Star Destroyers remains on the table to any system representative who I and they deem need it.

11. Daft-Vader

Daft-Vader Chosen One star 8

Aug 6, 2008
    Mustafar ios willing to send squads of Battle Droids to systems requesting them.

These are advanced Droids, more sophisticated then the former B1 Battle Droids form the CLone Wars, and even Tendrandro Arms YVH Droids.
    We also have advanced Droid Starfighters

12. Darth Dreadwar

Jan 26, 2010
    *smiles*

I'm happy to see that the galaxy is so charitable.

THIS, ladies and gentlemen, is what will enable us to triumph over all troubles, and restore peace.

Thank you, Senator Daft. *inclines head*

13. JediMaster1511

Jul 15, 2010
    Droid starfighters are an intrigueing concept....

14. Daft-Vader

Aug 6, 2008
    Very useful vs Force-Enhanced pilots too - harder to see what they are going to do with no life forms

15. JediMaster1511

Jul 15, 2010
    Hmmm...that is very interesting idea indeed. Still, could the edge be that much more?

16. Daft-Vader

Aug 6, 2008
    Broken droids can be rebuilt easily...

can the same be said for broken lifeforms?

17. JediMaster1511

Jul 15, 2010
    I can't argue that logic. In fact, the importance of life is one of my platforms.

This is indeed an interesting concept to explore.

What take do the Senators have on it though.

18. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    Droids have their place in combat to be sure. But they can never match the skill and ingenuity of live soldiers in the field. While I certainly wouldn't argue against their use entirely, I would advocate that they be used to augment "wet" forces.

I am now thinking that perhaps a composite force might best be used along the border with the Unknown Regions. One comprising of the starships offered by the Senator from Korriban. These would be augmented with a large force of combat droids as well as droid starfighters from Mustafar. Rounding it out would be a small force of Mandalorian Protectors to be used as a special forces group in the region. This composite fleet should be able to handle most anything thrown at it. Of course, and I hate to say it, they would probably need a Jedi General in charge of each task force. What say the any of the jedi supported systems, will you too rally to the cause of the Republic?

19. JediMaster1511

Jul 15, 2010
    Excellent idea, Senator Bardan!

We need to iron out specifics and the like, but the foundation is one we can certainly build off of.

20. Daft-Vader

Aug 6, 2008
    May I point out that Battle Droids are also not suceptible to "Jedi" Mind Tricks...

21. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    Indeed, if each system can contribute something, than no system should be weakened to the point where pirates or other ill meaning parties can take advantage. However, the Mandalorian contigent still expects to be well paid. But given that it will now be a smaller group, it should be easier to secure the funds.

EDIT: Neither are Mandalorians. Weak minded we are not. :p

22. JediMaster1511

Jul 15, 2010
    Indeed.

And what do the rest of our esteemed Senators say on the matter?

23. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    I agree with the esteemed Senator of Mandalore. We cannot rely too heavily on a force of only droids, for all the reasons that have been stated. However, as the esteemed Senator from Mustafar has pointed out, they can be very useful if deployed correctly. And, as the Supreme Chancellor has said, it would be cheaper to hire Mandalorian protectors instead of risking leaving several planets more susceptible to attack from pirates.

24. Daft-Vader

Aug 6, 2008
    I wish to know how many Mandlorian Warriors there are...

25. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    Our planetary population, or the numbers of ex-pats living out of the system that we can recall if need be? In either case our numbers are small compared to the Galaxy at large. With everyone else contributing, we can keep the number of soldiers hired quite small. We would be willing to hire out a reinforced company (roughly 200 soldiers) per system task group for use as special forces for this effort. Just enough to be useful, but not so many as to break the bank. Or to leave our own system defensless. So as that stands now per Senator Sinre's request that would be only 600 Mandalorian troops hired by the Senate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.