main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

NYC, NY The SWNYC Moan and Complain Thread

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by ObiWill, Jul 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Samantha

Jedi_Samantha Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 15, 2002
    Ok clarification for everyone:

Right now, i have stepped away from my staff duties because of my grandmother. I am still staff, but not an active member of staff. My only duty right now is to moderate our other message board during the day hours. Once my grandmother is settled in with her meds, and her new doctors and everything, i shall return and begin planning fall/winter events.

The only reason why i posted, was to give a moderation/moderator clarification because it seemed like people thought ALL staff was a moderator. Other then that i will not and have no responded to anything else said here because i am not supposed to therefore i wont.

Edit again: Lauren: Because i didnt feel like having the whole world know about my grandmother.

2. VLAmidala

VLAmidala Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 7, 2001
    you're still staff.

and why the condescending ( [face_shocked] ) tone? how were we supposed to know that? i haven't seen it announced - at either board.

edit: sorry, i'm short on sympathy.

3. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    I'm going to clarify some things, because some of you are seriously not in the know.

1. This is SWNYC's message board. They are the FanForce chapter that represents NYC.

2. Anyone can request something to be edited, not just SWNYC staff. If you have a problem with something do not hesitate to PM me or strawbary.

3. bobajames, I already apoligized. I made a mistake, I am man enough to admit it. 'Nuff said.

4. At any given time I can and will edit a post if I find it offensive,, reguardless if you do.

5. This is the Official New York FanForce chapter board. SWNYC is the chapter we recognize for NYC. If you do not want to be affiliated with SWNYC then you don't need to post here. I hate to be so rude, but if you don't have any intention in joining SWNYC and are here solely to question the staff, why bother.

4. bobajames

bobajames Jedi Master star 3

May 6, 2002
    rox i know that already...but was more getting at what ls didn't tell u....

-BJ

5. thechairguy

thechairguy Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 23, 2002
    Why bother? Because we're fans of Star Wars who happen to live in the NYC area & are tired of dealing with people with attitudes like yours.

When & where did SWNYC become the official voice of NYC area Star Wars fans? I'd like a recount.

6. bobajames

May 6, 2002
    i 2nd that.....

7. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    When SWNYC became an official FanForce chapter they were given this forum. They are not the official voice of Star Wars fans in New York, but they are the club we(FanForce) recognize.

8. VLAmidala

Jun 7, 2001
    If you do not want to be affiliated with SWNYC then you don't need to post here.

[SWNYC] are not the official voice of Star Wars fans in New York

so, once and for all:
    should non-swnyc members even bother posting here if any less-than-glowing posts we make will be edited on sight?

9. bobajames

May 6, 2002
    i would take that as a yes.....

-BJ

10. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    "so, once and for all:
    should non-swnyc members even bother posting here if any less-than-glowing posts we make will be edited on sight?"

If you wish to continue to post here so be it. But reguardless if you are a SWNYC member or not. I will edit anyone's post if it is offensive or breakiing the rules of the TOS.

11. VLAmidala

Jun 7, 2001
    that was noncommital.

how can respectful disagreement be construed as a violation of TOS?

12. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    "how can respectful disagreement be construed as a violation of TOS?"

That's why nothing here except for LadySith's PM has been edited.

13. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    That's why nothing here except for LadySith's PM has been edited.

Why was the PM edited then? There's no rule that you can't post up PMs that get sent to you in text, is there?

:confused:

14. Jedi_Samantha

Feb 15, 2002
    PM = PRIVATE message

Obviosly if she wanted it to be public she would have wrote it to the person on the message board, not in a PM.

15. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    What Samantha said.

16. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Forgive me for my naivite... but being a Webmaster I have some issues with issues of "personal property online."

I work for a bank -- we safeguard customer information -- it's theirs, not ours and we are just custodians. No problem.

If they, on the other hand, send us a suggestion then it becomes ours, not theirs any longer.

Email is a two way street -- if you have your email address listed, it's okay to send you an email. It's that simple. Once the email arrives in your inbox (provided it's not actually copyrighted), the email then belongs to you. The same applies with a PM. A private message need not mean private as "shhhh, no one can know," but private "I don't need to bother others with this."

If PMs have to abide by the same ROC and TOC that posts abide by, then a person should have the right to post a PM that they received -- it's THEIRS. By the other token, if PMs are to be considered private like "shhhh," then it makes sense that topics to be discussed by all parties should be able to be posted for all the forum to see.

Or am I missing something again?

17. Jedi_Samantha

Feb 15, 2002
    Your turn Rox....

18. bobajames

May 6, 2002
    rox should b the only answering.....

-BJ

19. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    Prvate messages are that private. If you post a Pm between yourself and another user and that user wants it's contents removed then I will be more than happy to remove it.

20. Jedi_Samantha

Feb 15, 2002
    that alone is fine - the problem arises when city reps are also officers in the club which, some nonmembers contend, is causing a disruption on the board.

Only those who post reasonable concerns without getting personal, and lying are not causing a disturbance.

rox should b the only answering.....

Why should he be the only one answering if someone else has the correct answer?

I am truly and utterly disgusted that you all have nothing better to do then to try and bring down SWNYC and question why this is our official message board. I have never in my life been anymore appalled and disgusted with a group of people then I am with some of you. SWNYC is the OFFICIAL NYC Fan group of FANFORCE. So Chair/Couch/table whoever the heck you are guy, you are mistaken about a great deal of things yourself. This is a message board for SWNYC. Non members can post here, and non members like Rox and Strawbary moderate here. Just dont cause controversy and get involved in our member discussions. If you all want to go out and make your own NYC SW fan group with a different Fan website/base go right ahead. No one here will stop you thats for sure. Why should the staff of SWNYC listen to opinions of those who show no interest what so ever in people who don't want to become a member of SWNYC? Get it straight like rox said. This is SWNYC's message board. If you are not a member and want to post here, fine. Just stop the controversy and the "holier then thou" garbage. Go find another board to post on. TFN isn't the only NYC SW message board. And frankly i am quite dissapointed in you James. You were all hyped up to become staff, we gave you rhe position, and then you back down, and now you are against SWNYC and question why we are here.

SWNYC has taken credit for/claimed ownership of many recent New York City events, from this board to the NY line to even the MoM exhibit! It is my understanding that in truth, SWNYC came to the line organizers and *begged* to be a part of the line that my own brother was a founding member of! And being responsible for the MoM exhibit? What the heck!? They were planning to bring that to New York for years! I'm surprised SWNYC doesn't take credit for AOTC showing at the Ziegfeld!

First, This is OUR message board. Second, SWNYC does a lot of charity work. We are a non profit charity organization. We visit local hospitals and raise and then give money to charities. We never "begged" to work with NYline, we were actually a sponsor of Nyline. We never said we founded the MoM exhibit, we said we donated money to them. I would get your facts correct before posting accusations like that.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go run along and play jump rope in the middle of the Long Island Expressway.

21. Happy Ninja

Happy Ninja Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 20, 2000
    I just have to say that I feel this thread really isn't getting anywhere - It feels like attack and counterattack as opposed to fleshing out and resolving problems...

I really can't understand what the problem is, except perhaps a bit of jealously by a select few.

I think that some people here need to unplug, and go outside for some fresh air. Yes, reintroduce yourself to that thing we call "sunlight"! :p

22. Jedi_Samantha

Feb 15, 2002
    I think that some people here need to unplug, and go outside for some fresh air. Yes, reintroduce yourself to that thing we call "sunlight"!

LoL Mark. I agree with your entire post. This thread isnt going anywhere and never will. But its a place for people to complain and keep other topics on topic minus controversy.

23. StarFromIHJ

StarFromIHJ Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2002
    SWNYC has taken credit for/claimed ownership of many recent New York City events, from this board to the NY line to even the MoM exhibit!

Well, I do not know anything about the other events, but I do have an answer to SWNYC's relationship to the BMA in regard to the MOM exhibit. I believe this excerpt from the April 5th edition of Newsday will clear up any misconceptions about their relationship.

"It certainly wouldn't have passed muster with the 130 members of the 'Star Wars' fan club, SWNYC, which was the first group Romano reached out to when planning the Brooklyn Show. Last July the curator invited members to the museum for what he calls a 'Coke and cheese' sit-down, in which he solicited thoughts on how 'Myth' might satisfy the most exacting aficionado. Everyone in attendance, he recalls, had seen the exhibit at least once in a previous location.
    'They wanted more space,' says Romano. 'For example, Washington gave it 5,500 square feet. We're giving it 11,000. They wanted more stuff from Episode I. We got them [Queen] Amidala and two handmaidens. They wanted stuff from 'Episode II' when the movie opens. They wanted the material to be treated with a certain amount of respect and deference. In an art museum, that means showing material - no matter what it is - as a work of art.'"

Work Cited

Takahashi, Corey.(2002, April 5). In a Museum Not So Far Away... Newsday, pg B10 - B11

24. Jedi_Samantha

Feb 15, 2002
    And here you can see that SWNYC was a sponsor of the NYline.

NYline Sponsors

edit: also here if you listen to the Episode 1: MoM Karen, The PR rep of NYline org explains SWNYCs involvement.

25. VLAmidala

Jun 7, 2001
    sam, if you're going to post on this thread on behalf of the current, active swnyc staff... you shouldn't be posting on this thread. i believe this has been clarified already.

i won't touch the rest. as we've observed countless times already, a flame war won't get anyone anywhere.

however, if anyone besides myself is interested in actually making progress, perhaps we can get this thread back on topic?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.