main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Symmetry Of Both Trilogies

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by AarHan3, May 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AarHan3

AarHan3 Jedi Youngling

Mar 23, 2005
    It's natural that George Lucas should wrap up his 6-piece masterpiece of a saga known far-and-wide as Star Wars. Not that Episodes VI through IX would have made a lasting impact on the moviegoing public anyhow...

Well, anyway, here's how I have divined the 2 trilogies of the entire saga:

1. The first film was the fourth chapter (A New Hope), just as the fourth film was the first chapter (The Phantom Menace).

2. The second film was the fifth chapter (The Empire Strikes Back), just as the fifth film was the second chapter (Attack Of The Clones).

3. And the third film was the sixth and final chapter (Return Of The Jedi), just as the sixth and final film will be the third chapter (Revenge Of The Sith)!

Pretty symmetrical, eh? :-B

Get your Force on! :D

May The Force be with us forever!
    =D==D==D==D==D==D==D==D==D=

2. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    Moving to Saga.

3. Smithenguan

Smithenguan Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 20, 2005
    Wow, you just made a thread for the world devastatingly obvious.

Let's do some mirrors that aren't so apparent, seeing as 1-2-3, and 4-5-6 are two sets of 3 number groups, so obviously 1 and 4 would be the first, 2 and 5 the second, and 3 and 6 the third.

What about the fact that in 4 and 6, a "child" that just recently left Tatooine blows up a critical ship in an enemy fleet?

4. Nihilist

Nihilist Jedi Youngling star 2

May 8, 2005
    How about these parallels..in theme.

TPM and ANH contain resolutions with lingering questions..in menace it's what's the story with the sith..who is left. In a new hope we have vader straightening out his fighter and sailing off..what's the story with the sith still left.

ATOC and ESB are downers, the heroes get beaten up survive and are left with larger conflicts to resolve.
    Albeit ESB is a lot darker..both deal with some dark issues..anakins shady behavior..who am I. Luke's shady behavior..who am I.

ROTS and ROTJ are polar opposites..but the theme of rising is shared. Sith and then jedi. Anakin falls revenge of the sith.
    Luke and vader rise return of the jedi.

These are pretty obvious.

5. ZebulaNebula

ZebulaNebula Jedi Master star 5

Feb 10, 2005
    Symmetries exist in the titles as well.

Phase one: refers to a faction thought destroyed rises from the shadows.

OT: A New Hope PT: The Phantom Menace

Phase two: refers to a military offensive on the part of the reigning faction and it's friends against the rising faction and it's allies.

OT: The Empire Strikes Back PT: Attack of the Clones

Phase Three: The rising faction emerges triumphant.

OT: Return of the Jedi PT: Revenge of the Sith

Did anyone else notice this?

6. poisoncow

poisoncow Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 24, 2005
    Just expanding on an earlier post. But no one ever mentions tone in reference to character and the symetry in the saga.

TPM & ANH Both the very lighthearted. TPM more so to reflect Ani's innocent nature and being a child. ANH the same way, Luke being very hopeful and innocent as a char. Hes not battle hardened yet.

AOTC & ESB Ani becomes very conflicted, and darker, the ending alone is bittersweet to reflect Ani's state of mind. ESB Despair, Luke seems to lose so much as he matures.

ROTS & ROTJ Ani goes Sith, darker than all the others. ROTJ Closure and victory, Luke has matured and Redeemed his father, a lighter tone than ESB, but heavier than ANH still.

The tone in the films is great. Never gets enough credit

7. Wolfus

Wolfus Jedi Youngling

May 1, 2005
    ANH, TPM and even KOTOR1 finish with a celebration.
    ESB, AOTC and KOTOR2 have opened end.
    I still haven't seen ROTS and KOTOR3 is not released yet, so I cannot compare...

Sorry my terrible english ;)

8. VtotheAtotheDER

VtotheAtotheDER Jedi Youngling

May 20, 2005
    i have heard scripts of VII, VIII, & IX hve been written by Lucas and given to a close friend of his.....They would be better because the films Lucas did not direct were the best in the Saga.

9. AarHan3

AarHan3 Jedi Youngling

Mar 23, 2005
    I don't think Eps VII-IX would've made a massive impact on the moviegoing public in this day and age anyway. Pretty much the whole saga has already been explained, and I'm not sure it needs to persevere any further... [face_thinking]

10. Winston_Sith

Winston_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 8, 2004
    :::i have heard scripts of VII, VIII, & IX hve been written by Lucas and given to a close friend of his.....

Okeeday!!!

You wanna buy some deathsticks?

11. LukeCloudjogger

LukeCloudjogger Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 9, 2005
    Like the PT has?

But anyway. The PT parallels the OT (which is not necesarily a good thing), because maybe Lucas didn't want to think of an original story, so he just copied the OT over again. LOL.

The Phantom Menace + A New Hope: A big battle in space starts off, and several characters land on Tatooine and meet a Skywalker. The Skywalker leaves the planet with two droids, and the Jedi Master who brings the Skywalker along with him is killed by the Emperor's apprentice. Later on, the Skywalker blows up a space station, and it ends with a celebration.

Attack of the Clones + The Empire Strikes Back: There is a romance between a Skywalker and the one he falls in love with. There is a Fett in both episodes. The Emperor's apprentice cuts off the Skywalker's arm, and it ends pretty downbeat.

Revenge of the Sith + Return of the Jedi: The first part of the movie begins with several main characters attempting to rescue a main character. They both have a scene in a throne room, with the Skywalker, the Emperor's Apprentice, and the Emperor sitting in his throne. One of the three dies, and the Skywalker is tempted towards the Dark Side. Meanwhile, there is a battle going on a forest planet with a bunch of furry creatures.

These are just some of the symmetries going on between both trilogies.

12. Mandalorian-Jedi

Mandalorian-Jedi Jedi Youngling star 3

May 28, 2005

One word.

Supershadow.

All on that website is fake or stolen. I mean, Darth Rage.

Puuurlease.

13. AarHan3

AarHan3 Jedi Youngling

Mar 23, 2005
    You don't want to sell me deathsticks. You want to go home and rethink your life. [face_hypnotized]

14. i_dont_know

i_dont_know Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2005
    ep1 - Obi-Wan watches Qui-Gon die: "Noooo!"
    ep4 - Luke watches Obi-Wan die: "No!"

ep2 - A spark of Vader exists in Anakin when he loses his mother.
    ep5 - A spark of Anakin exists in Vader when he discovers his son.

ep3 - The Star Destroyers keep the Seperatists from escaping
    ep6 - The Star Destroyers keep the Rebels from escaping

ep2/ep3 - Dooku force pwns Anakin and takes his right arm/ The next time they duel Anakin takes both his hands using his anger.
    ep5/ep6 - Vader force pwns Luke and takes his right hand/ The next time they meet Luke takes his right robotic hand using his anger.

ep2 - Padme helps Anakin up and condoles him when he is dismembered.
    ep5 - Leia helps Luke walk and condoles him when Luke is dismembered.

ep3 - In Vader's mind he is saving his father figure (Palpitine) when Anakin turns. This leads to Mace's death and the Jedi's fall.
    ep6 - The opposite. Vader is saving his son, Palpitine dies surrounded by lightning and betrayed by Vader (exactly like Mace dies), and Luke is saved, the Jedi return.

there are many more

15. princessleia911

princessleia911 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2005
    I was just thinking about all of these things when I started rewatching the Saga beginning with Episode I(where I think you are supposed to begin :p ). It also explains why Episode I & IV had such massive box office totals because they are the movies which are fun and light. Both of these movies introduced a generation to Star Wars. I know the pressure of fanboys to get Episode I "right" but I loved everything about TPM and would not change a thing except maybe add back a few deleted scenes and make Yoda digital(what puppet did they use for this one because it looks worse than the one used for the OT [face_thinking] ). The despised Jar-Jar is definately like C3PO in TPM & ANH, respectively. They are the plucky comic relief which is annoying at times. For Lucas to show the parallels of the story of a father & son in such a way is awesome and masterful. When watching the Saga all together, you really can see how Anakin goes bad and Luke stays good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.