The System is Perfect: Minority Report

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by JediTrilobite, Feb 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darth_frared Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    well, that's what i mean, it's rationalized.
    just because a government approves of something doesn't make it good, huh? that's not an argument here. it's wrong to take people to prison for thinking about murder because that would mean everything is fixed. or you say they have a choice, in whihc case, the murder could have not happened.

it sure is a political move in the movie, but the fact that they abandoned it has ethical ties. because as humans we have the ability to change ourselves and while we are flawed we also have the potential for good. so, the system reduces us to premeditated killers or whatever.

no, i wouldn't want to live in that society either.
  2. JediTrilobite Jedi Master

star 7
  3. JediTrilobite Jedi Master

star 7

I wondered about that - why not just detain them for a little while? I'm guessing it has something to do with rights and things like that.
  4. TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod

star 10
    I was thinking more about a normal cell for safe-keeping.

Or you could get around the "thought-police" problem with brownball murders by getting the intended victim(s) somewhere safe. Since everybody (or at least most of them) believed in the system (and really, NO murders in 5 years would make me believe, too) I'm sure people would gladly go someplace safe for a day to not get killed.
    The only ethical question then would be about the precogs.

Although I think you could get away with the "thought police", too. Brownballs didn't go off when you just thought about killing someone - like the guy in the virtual reality place did. They had to really want it. And in that case you could look for more real evidence. If you don't find any, at least you prevented the murder.
  5. JediTrilobite Jedi Master

star 7
    Except that's not how it works. Anderton explained that it's not thoughts or intentions, it's your future actions that will bring Pre-Crime to your doorstep.

My theory is that the Precogs can see a system of events that will lead up to the murder - the building blocks that lead up to it. Hense, preplanned murders are almost unheard of, because they will leave more of a trace. Likewise, redballs would have a shorter trace.
  6. Darth_Banal Jedi Knight

star 6
    I'd like to say that I was impressed with the technology system they had to decipher the precog's visions and narrow down the location. That was one of the more fascinating pieces of technology that scifi cinema has brought about.
  7. JediTrilobite Jedi Master

star 7
    Along with a bunch of others. I remember seeing that Spielburg brought a bunch of people into a thinktank to figure out what some of the technologies would be. The most disturbing one was the huge number of eye scanners everywhere, and the lack of privacy.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.