main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends The Table Was Crowded... (L/M, AU) [update 3/22]

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by DaenaBenjen42, Sep 21, 2008.

1. Serena-Kenobi

Serena-Kenobi Jedi Youngling

Jul 12, 2008
    What a sweet story! I love it. [face_love]

- Serena

2. madman007

madman007 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 22, 2007
    "You just woke up from..." he paused and looked her in the eye, seeing the familiar determination. "I'm not going to win this argument, am I?"

"No, you're not. I'm going... Someone has to make sure you stay out of trouble."

This is the epitome of Luke and Mara's relationship.

Neat to see events that happened in TTT differently with Luke and Mara together. Seems like that bond can be a problem too. Can't imagine hearing every thought of a loved one.

Great update!

3. Raphire

Raphire Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 19, 2008
    "I'm going with you." Her tone left no room for argument.

She just woke up and already she's bossing him around that's the marks of a real strong headed woman. [face_laugh]

She really likes the whole hard to get angle doesn't she?

4. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    kataja: Regarding Leia... they seemed to be on at least 'talking terms' at the Katana thing. I went off of that. Thank you, kataja. :)

JediFalcon: More's on it's way. Thank you, JediFalcon. :)

kayladie97: The hospital scenes were good and you liked 'em? Thank you, kayladie. :)

Jade_eyes: Glad you liked the Force Brallie. Thank you, Jade_eyes. :)

padawan lunetta: Thank you! :)

dancing_star: Thank you, star. :)

Jedi_QueenBee: Thank you. :)

Serena-Kenobi: Thank you. :)

madman007: It's not EVERY thought... but a lot does leak over... Thank you, madman. :)

Raphire: If she likes the hard to get angle, it's an unconscious thought in the back of her mind, probably... Thank you, Raphire. :)

And I wasn't kidding up there... update soon. :D

5. frankieskywalker

frankieskywalker Jedi Master star 4

Apr 13, 2006
    i cant beleive i forgot to post a reply this is great so far

6. DaenaBenjen42

May 15, 2005
    frankieskywalker: Thank you. :)

~*~*~*~

Luke was sitting in the pilot's chair in the cockpit, watching the blueness of hyperspace pass them by. Mara had gone back to the rear storage compartment to check through the gear one more time. He wanted to reach out and check on her, but after they'd started answering each other back and forth, decided to let it be and not intrude any more than he already was.

So he sat in the pilot chair, silently marveling at the calming effect that the tunnel of hyperspace produced if one watched long enough. And, for the first time in way too long, he had nothing to do for the time being. No one was around, save the woman currently checking the gear in the rear storage compartment. He was again tempted to check on her, but she seemed to not like that much. So relaxing was the view outside that Luke let himself just sit and watch... and drift.

In his mind's eye, he saw Mara carrying a box into what looked like a room on the Wild Karrde... only one unfamiliar to him. Setting the box down, she looked into it and pulled out a bell. Looking in the direction of a corner where something small, dark-colored, and fuzzy lay, she began to ring it.

She rang the bell and seemed to expect a reaction. Not getting one, she set the bell down and looked in the box again, this time pulling out a sock. Wait... a sock? Luke couldn't blame her for staring at it.

Turning, he found that the... cat? It was a cat? Indeed it was. Small, with golden eyes, and black with a small white patch on it's head.

He watched as Mara held out the sock invitingly and the small animal attacked it with an unexpected vigor.

~*~*~*~*~

Mara was still in the rear storage compartment, crouched on her haunches, and checking the equipment one last time when a sense of concentrated calm rolled into her from the bond. She blinked as she set down the piece she'd been holding, and stood up, wondering where that had come from.

Almost without warning, what felt like a memory overtook her.

She was standing at a window, looking out over a city street she'd only ever seen once during a diplomatic trip early in her years of training. Once, but clearly recalled. The city of Theed, on Naboo.

"You're not supposed to be up and about, you know," an unfamiliar woman's voice chided her gently. "You are supposed to be resting."

Mara turned to find an older woman with graying red hair standing in the doorway. "Couldn't stay in bed anymore and I wanted her to look out with me."

The woman smiled and approached, holding out her arms. "You must be tired, though. Can I?"

Mara nodded and handed the small precious bundle she'd been holding over to the other woman. "Not tired so much as..."

"Sore?"

"Yes." Together they looked down at the small babe and smiled.

And then, suddenly, Mara found herself standing in the rear storage compartment again, staring at a bulkhead. She blinked, stunned at what she'd seen. A baby? And who was the woman?

Shaking her head in confusion, Mara looked down at the equipment again. It looked fine to her.

~*~*~*~

She found Luke sitting in the cockpit... almost asleep he was so relaxed. Sitting down next to him in the copilot's chair, Mara studied him intently. He almost seemed to be meditating, though his eyes were open and he was staring out the front of the cockpit.

Carefully, gently, she reached over and touched his arm. "Hey."

Luke startled and turned to her. "What?"

She smiled, finding his momentary confusion a little funny. And really, there wasn't a need to tell him about that weird moment in the rear storage compartment. A child and a woman she didn't know? Odd. "I wanted you to know that I checked and rechecked the gear... Feel better?"

Luke nodded as she stood up from the copilot chair. "Yes. Mara?"

"Hmm?"

He frowned for a moment, then shrugged it off. "Nothing." As he watched her leave the cockpit, he shook his head. Whatever it was that he had seen, he just couldn't picture her as a cat person. Very strange thing to see, that...

~*~*~*~

As Mara stood in the small

7. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    VEry very glad to have an update. Interesting vision/dream of Mara with Dark Star. :) And a little flash of Obsessed With Flowers. o_O

Looking forward to finding out what they find when they start poking around that building. :D

8. frankieskywalker

Apr 13, 2006
    great post can i be added to the pm list

this time i promise to answer my pms

9. madman007

Aug 22, 2007
    Interesting visions Luke and Mara had. Wonder who the woman is on Naboo. I could guess but probably wrong.

I like that at this point they each are aware of their bond but are not abusing it. Nice underlying tones of hesitancy in revealing their visions. The trust isn't there. Yet.

Great update.

10. dancing_star

dancing_star Jedi Master star 4

Feb 24, 2007
    Wonderful chapter! So glad to see this updated! You write Luke and Mara very well. :)
    Looking forward to more! [:D]@};-
    =D= =D= =D= =D=

11. Falcon

Falcon Chosen One star 10

Feb 7, 2002
    Awesome update and loved the interaction between Luke and Mara, I can't wait for more :)

12. kataja

kataja Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2007
    Nice L&M interaction. I love the way Luke want's to reach out to Mara, but holds himself back! And interesting visions! [face_thinking] I can't make much sense of them yet but you sure have me baited :p

13. LukeSkywalker_2001

LukeSkywalker_2001 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 18, 2002
    Good story so far. I especially liked the part where they discussed and viewed the scenes of the end of ROTJ -- Luke and Vader stuff.

14. maramijade

maramijade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 17, 2000
    Caught up! Looking forward to more of this :)

15. JordanCHFel

JordanCHFel Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 12, 2009
    OHHHHHHHH this is amazing!!! Can I be put on the PM list?????
    Also wanted to say that I loved teh "I'm not gonna win this argument am I?" part.....thats what one of my friends ask me all the time!!!!!!!!

Michelle

16. DaenaBenjen42

May 15, 2005
    Jade_eyes: Well... sort of? Thank you. :)

frankieskywalker: Yep, you can totally be on the PM list. Thank you, frankie. (And welcome back to the boards!) :)

madman007: Thank you, madman. :)

dancing_star: Thank you, star. :)

JediFalcon: Thank you. :) (More is on it's way.)

kataja: Very glad you like. Thank you. :)

LukeSkywalker_2001: Thank you. :)

maramijade: Thank you, maramijade. :)

JordanCHFel: Hi, and yes you can be on the PM list. Thank you. :)

Updated PM list for The Table Was Crowded...

Jade_eyes
    dancing_star
    MaraJade4S
    Raphire
    madman007
    JediMike2372
    kataja
    frankieskywalker
    maramijade
    JordanCHFel

As always, if anyone is on this list and does not want to be, please bring it to my attention. Thank you. @};-

17. DaenaBenjen42

May 15, 2005
    A/N: Thank you to Jade_eyes, dancing_star, and JediFalcon. I think they know why. ;)

~*~*~*~

The building was far, far bigger up close than it had been from a mile away. Like the rest of the buildings in and around Calius on Berchest, it was made of reddish-orange, ornately carved, crystal, that there was no doubt in Mara's mind that there was in fact some way out of it, other than by the front door. The very ornately carved front door which required Imperial Identification cards and a password to even pass beyond it.

What had drawn them to this building on this planet was both simple and complicated: hundreds of intelligence reports had pinpointed Calius as a funnel point for the clones... And Mara had recognized a very familiar blankness in the Force. It would have been normal on Myrkyr, but they were nowhere near it. Someone was using Ysalimiri to hide something... or were they? That question remained to be answered.

With Imperial Uniforms, forged identification cards, and passwords which Luke had Force-suggestion-lifted from an officer who wouldn't remember talking to either of them, the gained access to the building.

Now, standing in what appeared to be a common room just off the entryway, Luke couldn't help but glance at her in question. What do you think?

Mara didn't even spare a look in his direction in her visual persual of the people coming and going as they waited for someone of a higher rank than the Stormtroopers at the door to join them. That there are way too many people here for this to just be a garrison... and that blankness is easier to recognize in here than it was from a distance.

Luke frowned. If there were any number of Ysalimiri here, wouldn't they have been affected as soon as they got near the building? Above or below?

Above. I can feel things below, but not in the upper floors.

Luke nodded his assent. Felt that way to him, too.

Just then, a man in a uniform with a surly expression on his face joined them. "Admiral Jerv Mylar?" At Luke's voiceless, curt nod, the man looked at Mara. "Captain Janna Joleele?" Mara nodded, and the man made no move to shake either of their hands. "I am Governor Saffa. May I ask what brought you here, Admiral?"

"Orders," Luke answered easily. "You know how Grand Admiral Thrawn likes to do surprise inspections." If it hadn't been for the fact that they were standing in the middle of an Imperial coumpound, Mara would have, at the very least, chuckled at the officously ridiculous tone Luke was using. As it was, upon feeling the internal laughter, Luke had to resist breaking a smile.

Governor Saffa's eyes narrowed. "Quite." With a curt nod, he led them to a lift. "Inspection, you said?"

"Yes."

Saffa pressed the button to call for the lift and the three of them stood there in silence, waiting for it to arrive.

He's not buying it, Mara told Luke once they were on the lift and watching as Governor Saffa pressed a combination of buttons.

As the lift started to move upward, Luke wanted to nod in response. But even if he isn't, he's still- and right then, in mid-sentence, the Force vanished and he was very suddenly alone. Mara? he tried to send, but couldn't find her at all. A quick glance assured him she was still there, a little paler, and standing at attention, but he couldn't feel her. Ysalimiri.

When the door opened again and Governor Saffa stepped out ahead of them, Luke touched her shoulder carefully. When she looked back at him, he could see the panic reflected in her eyes that told him all he needed to know. It wasn't just him. "You all right, there, Captain?"

She nodded. "Just a little queasy from those spoiled ration packs."

Luke nodded back and then they moved to join the Governor in the hallway. Governor Saffa arched an eyebrow at Luke in question, and Luke shook his head. "There was a problem with spoiled rations."

"Ah," the Governor said as he led them to a door. "They're in here."

18. Falcon

Falcon Chosen One star 10

Feb 7, 2002
    Wow that was quite the update.

Was it the chocolate cake or the tea that got your muse working ;)

More soon :)

19. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Great escape there and wonderful blend of action and mush :D That does seem to be the only and best solution, prepare for it beforehand. [face_thinking]

20. dm1

dm1 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2004
    Count me in for PM notification on this. I'm really enjoying the interaction here.

Yes, they will have to learn to deal with situations where their bond might be broken. At some point, they should be able to read each other without using the Force. Han & Leia do that all the time. Han reads people very well, he had to in his former line of work, and it really helps him in dealing with all those crazy Skywalkers!

Things can be done without the Force, and it should be a skill that is cultivated; otherwise the Force is a crutch, not a tool.

Well done so far!

21. madman007

Aug 22, 2007
    The perfect example of you don't know what you got until it's gone. I like that it's Mara who acknowledged her panic at the absence of the bond first.

And then their lips met and Mara let him lead her back to her emotional center with just the sense of touch. There on the floor, there was contact.

Great tension building and liking that you're not just letting them loose on each other so to speak too quickly.

Will await the next episode (im)patiently.

22. kataja

kataja Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2007
    Super update; action and romance in perfect blend, well balanced! [face_love]

You manage to write Mara vulnerable very well - and that's rare, usually she tips OOC when written vulnerable!

Well worth a little wait!!!
    =D= =D= =D=

23. wbsaw

wbsaw Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 31, 2008
    This is a great story.. As are most of yours are..

There is only 1 problem with your whole ..Wanting to know..Obsessed with flowers..stories..

I can't find out which way is up!!

Ghostly daughter..
    Ailee DEAD but not...

Good stories..totally confusing...

you stash a manual for this somewhere??

24. dancing_star

dancing_star Jedi Master star 4

Feb 24, 2007
    This was wonderful!!=D= [face_dancing] Loved the Luke/Mara interaction!
    :)
    She appeared to be startled that he'd ask. "The last time we were under the influence of Ysalimiri, I wanted to kill you. And we were lost. You were calm then, too."

He was sure that wasn't the total answer, but it would do. "Panicking wouldn't have helped then, and it won't help now."

"And... I can't feel you."

Luke smiled and cupped her chin in his hand. "Easily solved."

Awww, that was perfect! Luke's such a sweetie! [face_love]

Fabulous update! Sorry it took me a while to get here though. :oops: Looking forward to more!! =D= [:D]

25. frankieskywalker

Apr 13, 2006
    thanks for remembering me. i finally got a better internet conection

great update as always