main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends The Table Was Crowded... (L/M, AU) [update 3/22]

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by DaenaBenjen42, Sep 21, 2008.

1. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    Jade_eyes: Yes on both counts. Thank you, Jade_eyes. :)

dancing_star: Thank you, star. :)

madman007: Thank you, Madman. :) (Belated disclaimer: credit where credit is due and Zahn rules.)

Raphire: As is said in another story: ?You have different strengths. You cause havoc more than she does, she sneaks around better than you.? So... it MIGHT be about even, trouble-wise. Thank you, Raphire. :)

Jaded_Girl: Hi! Thank you, glad you liked that. :)

~*~*~*~

Luke sat with Han in the waiting area of the neurology wing of Coruscant Medical Center, avoiding the other's eyes as they waited for news on Mara's condition. They'd made small talk all the way from the Katana about the revelation that Thrawn was now using clones and Han had kept it light. It was almost as if he knew that Luke really didn't want to talk about what had distracted him so badly when Mara had been knocked unconscious out there in her ejection seat.

Finally, he broke the silence and turned to look at Han. "Was this how it felt?"

"How what felt?"

"That night on Hoth, after... you know. After."

Han didn't answer as he slowly turned and regarded Luke with an unreadable expression. Then he nodded. "Yes... Been a long time since I thought about it, but yes. Warmer here, though."

Luke sighed as he sat back and leaned again the wall. "I'm sorry, Han."

"For what? I don't think it was your fault that you got..."

"Attacked?"

"Yes. That."

Luke nodded. It hadn't been anyone's fault... "What's taking them so long?"

"Medical things always take a while," Han patiently reminded him as someone opened a door nearby, and a woman came out and looked at them. "Especially when people are knocked unconscious. Medics are touchy."

The woman stared at Han, shook her head with a smile, and looked at Luke. "He's right. We are picky about that kind of thing. For good reason, at that."

Luke blinked at her levity. Then he frowned, recognition setting in as he placed her. "Were you...?"

"With the fleet at Endor? Yes, Jedi Skywalker. I was. How's your hand?"

"Fine."

"No twitching or anything?"

"It does occasionally," he admitted, as he knew he wouldn't be able to get away with lying to a medic. Luke wished he remembered what her name was, but kept coming up blank. "We're waiting on news about..."

The woman held up a hand and forestalled him from completing the sentence. "We've got her in bacta now, sir... and she's in good hands, you know."

Luke tired to smile. "Of that, I have no doubt. Can I see her?"

She shook her head and looked at Han. "Can you take him to eat something? It'll be some time before we are ready to take Miss Jade out of the bacta."

Han nodded and stood up. "I can do that... Come on, Kid. There's a talk you and I need to have, so let's go to the cafeteria."

"What talk," Luke wondered as he stood up and let Han lead him away. Maybe it was his imagination, but he could have sworn the woman was laughing softly behind him.

~*~*~*~

Luke was once again avoiding Han's gaze, only this time with food, which he was eating slowly. He had a feeling he knew why Han wanted to talk and wanted to avoid it as long as possible.

"It's not going to work, Luke," Han finally told him after long minutes of silence. "Didn't work on YavinIV, certainly isn't going to work now."

"What if I don't want to talk?"

"Then we'll sit here until you do."

Luke glanced up at him and saw the wry seriousness in Han's eyes and a smile threatening to break out. "I'm just worried, Han."

"Um-hmm... and you turning to stare at a bulkhead on the katana was what? My imagination?"

Luke winced. He'd forgotten about that. Mara had arrived in the middle of everything, demanding in his mind to know what was up and he'd had to stop to tell her. "You saw that?"

"It was hard to miss. Both times."

Luke let out a long, cleansing breath. He would have to be careful in explaining this. "Mara and I... kind of have a bond."

Han frowned. "What kind of bond?" When Luke looked at him with more seriousness than he'd expected, Han was left to blink, surpri

2. Raphire

Raphire Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 19, 2008
    That's sweet of Luke to stay with her until she wakes. Love the twiching line.

3. dancing_star

dancing_star Jedi Master star 4

Feb 24, 2007
    Absolutely loved this update!! [face_love] Loved the Han and Luke interaction- perfect! =D= Loved the medic too! :D Loved it all, LOL! Wonderful job!! [:D]
    =D= =D= =D= =D=

4. madman007

madman007 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 22, 2007
    Great update!

Loved the "talk" that Han forced upon Luke. And Luke tries to deny more than he shows. Of course, Han sees it. Amazing how a man with no Force ability has that much instinct.

I like how you incorporate things in the canon version of TTT but add your own spin with Luke and Mara at the same time.

Good work! =D=

Keep it up!

5. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Like the medic very much.... she's warm and direct but not pushy LOL Fantabulous scene there with Han... he's got the perfect caring friend tone, available but I'm not gonna crowd you. :D Yup, the convo they're going to have when Mara wakes up is going to be very interesting indeed. :)

6. DaenaBenjen42

May 15, 2005
    Raphire: Thank you. :)

dancing_star: Thank you, star. :)

madman007: Loved the "talk" that Han forced upon Luke. And Luke tries to deny more than he shows. Of course, Han sees it. Amazing how a man with no Force ability has that much instinct.

Han knows his 'little bro', that's all... and you're right. It is. Thank you, madman. :)

Jade_eyes: That it will. Thank you, Jade_eyes.

7. DaenaBenjen42

May 15, 2005
    Luke wasn't very startled to see a young man with a portable computer enter the hospital room and make himself right at home. He'd politely asked to borrow the rolling table, set up shop, and gotten himself lost in the screen for an hour or two. For a while, the only sound in the room was the clinking of buttons as he worked.

"I'm Ghent," he said after a while. Then his eyes widened at something he saw on the screen and he packed everything up again and left. Luke watched him go, wondering what that had been about. The name sure sounded familiar, even if the boy himself did not.

~*~*~*~*~

Mara climbed her way back to consciousness, as if she'd been at the bottom of a deep, dark well full of dark, smothering cotton. She opened her eyes to find the room she was in bathed in the glow of twilight. The room didn't look at all familiar, but as she turned her head to survey it, and a presence she was still getting used to registered through the Force, Mara smiled. He was sitting in a chair that didn't really appear to be all that comfortable... snoring as he slept.

Has he been sitting in here long enough to fall asleep? Just how long had it been?

She was about to say something to rouse him when a woman in a white medic's tunic entered quietly and put a finger to her lips. "Shhh..."

Mara sat up slowly, blinking at the familiarity of this very unfamiliar woman. "That doesn't look at all comfortable," she said in a hushed tone.

The woman smiled and replied in a matching whispered tone. "Let him sleep a while. He's been in here for two entire days, practically guarding you, Miss Jade." She sat down on the edge of the bed. "Now, then... how many fingers am I holding up?"

"Three."

"And do you know what planet you're on?"

Mara glanced out the window to see a city-scape she reccognized. "Coruscant."

"And who the guy here is?"

"Skywalker."

She pulled a pen light out and tested Mara's eyes. Then, satisfied, she nodded to herself. "All clear." She motioned to the sleeping Jedi. "And when he wakes up, remind him to NOT break his hand the next time he needs to get out of a shed. And, if he does, to have it looked at sooner than five months after the fact."

Mara watched as the woman stood up, frowning. When had he broken his hand getting out of a shed? "Thank you, Doctor..."

"Melyan," she supplied helpfully. "Though really, I'm not a doctor yet. I'm a medic."

"There's a difference?"

The medic smiled. "As much difference as there is between an X-Wing pilot and an NRI agent. Training, you know?"

Mara smiled. "Thank you, Medic Melyan."

The woman nodded and left the room, and Mara turned her attention to Luke, who had slept through the hushed exam. She laid back down and watched him for a long while.

~*~*~*~

Luke opened his eyes to find Mara watching him with a smile. Then he blinked, realizing that the sun had long since set. How long had he been asleep?

"Not too long," Mara told him humorously. "The medic who was in here earlier said to let you sleep. And also something about you waiting five months to get your hand fixed after getting out of a shed. When was that?"

He stretched a little and then leaned closer to study her. "You locked me in the shed on Myrkyr, Mara. How did you think I got out?"

She peered back at him, suddenly defensive and not knowing why. "I... didn't really think about it."

"Hmmm... You look better."

"Compared to what?" She wondered, daring him to explain he meant.

Luke's eyes didn't leave her face, but she could feel his relief to see her awake and talking. It flowed from him like a beacon in the muted light of the room. "Compared to you floating somewhere out in a debris field, out cold in your ejection seat." Mara winced at the uncomfortable reminder. "Which brings me to something I've been wondering..."

Somehow, she knew she wasn't going to like what was on his mind. "Which would be?"

"That voice sounded an awful lot like the Emperor. Was it you that wanted to... or him?"

The question hung suspended in the air between them for long minutes and then Mara rolled over and turned he

8. dancing_star

Feb 24, 2007
    [face_love][face_love]
    Amazing update, Daena. Loved it!! Luke sharing his experiences on the Death Star with Mara... very powerfully written. Wonderful job and looking forward to more! [:D]@};-
    =D= =D= =D= =D=

9. JediMike2372

JediMike2372 Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 2, 2008
    I am sooooo loving this. This is the way it should have been. I really like Mara accepting the bond and asking Luke to help her in silencing the voice of Palpatine. Looking forward to more.

10. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Fantabulous update. Loved the easy banter. :D Glad Mara's memories are all straightened up now. :)

11. madman007

madman007 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 22, 2007
    Great trip down Memory Lane in the rehash of ROTJ. In Zahn's TTT, Mara's revelation of what really happened on the Death Star is a few sentences and isn't even with Luke. This version is so much better and more personal.

I love their playfulness with the hospital food afterwards.

One piece of technical advice, when portraying their thoughts inside the Force between each other, it's easier to use simple italics instead of the slashes. It's easier for me anyway and it looks better. Just a suggestion.

Excellent update and can't wait to see where they'll go to next.

12. Raphire

Raphire Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 19, 2008
    She threw a spork at him! Ha-HA that's amazing. I loved that scene! I don't really laugh out loud at at fanfics but this one came close. loved the veggietables.

13. padawan lunetta

padawan lunetta Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 1999
    Ooh I like this AU! I like the way you write my dear sweet Lukie and the other woman (Mara) very much! :-D

14. Falcon

Falcon Chosen One star 10

Feb 7, 2002
    Loved this story is there anymore coming :) please :)

15. DaenaBenjen42

May 15, 2005
    JediMike3272: Thank you. :)

Jade_eyes: Thank you, Jade_eyes. :)

madman007: I'm a little fuzzy on who found out what when... there was a scene on Wayland between them where Mara was stunned to discover the connection was father/son? Thank you, madman. :)

Raphire: Thank you and I'm very happy I made you laugh with that. :)

padawan lunetta: Thank you, Lunetta. :)

JediFalcon: Yep, more coming. (This week!) Thank you, JediFalcon. :)

16. kataja

kataja Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2007
    This is a very enjoyable story! I've quite forgotten to keep an eye open for updates but finally managed to catch up. Could you put me on the PM list, please, so I don't miss what's happening next? ;)

17. DaenaBenjen42

May 15, 2005
    kataja: Yep for the PM?s, and thank you. :)

Updated PM list for The Table Was Crowded...

Jade_eyes
    dancing_star
    MaraJade4S
    Raphire
    madman007
    JediMike2372
    kataja

As always, if anyone is on this list and would not like to be, or isn?t on it and wants to be, please let me know.

18. DaenaBenjen42

May 15, 2005
    ~*~*~

Luke caught the spork and looked at it for a long moment, thinking about what they'd discovered on the Katana. Even now, it was still hard to believe.

"Something is troubling you," Mara said after a minute of silence watching him. Luke blinked and looked up from the spork, somewhat surprised at her insight. This bond was really going to take some getting used to.

"Yes," Luke answered as he set the spork down on the rollaway table. He suddenly wanted to wait to tell her, but wasn't certain why. "On the Katana, there... Something came to our attention."

"Which was?"

"They're using clones." He glanced at her, not surprised at all to find her frowning at that revelation. "Hadn't much thought about it until now."

Mara watched as he sat back down, keenly aware of just how big it was that what was left of the Empire was using clones. He'd been sitting by her side all that time instead of looking into the clone problem? "You want to go and look."

Luke nodded. "You're more important, and it could wait a few days. And yes. I want to go and look."

The admission of her importance to him was touching, and Mara smiled slightly. "For information."

Luke nodded again. "Yes, Mara. Of course I want to go and scout for information."

"I'm going with you." Her tone left no room for argument.

"Mara..."

"What?"

"You just woke up from..." he paused and looked her in the eye, seeing the familiar determination. "I'm not going to win this argument, am I?"

"No, you're not. I'm going... Someone has to make sure you stay out of trouble."

Luke was tempted to laugh and settled for a smile. "Well, then... I guess we're going."

~*~*~*~

Morning came and neither was awake to greet the nurse at 0500, who took vitals on Luke as well as Mara because she had the time and she'd started to consider him a patient as well. He wasn't, but it never hurt to practice taking vitals.

When Luke woke up, he found Mara watching him from her hospital bed and reading a datapad at the same time. "What is that?"

"Intel reports. As close as I could get while confined to this room, anyway." She glanced at him over the datapad. "I'm still going with you."

Luke nodded slowly. "Wasn't even going to consider talking you out of it."

She smiled and kept reading. "That's exactly what I wanted to hear."

~*~*~*~

Later on, Luke took her to his apartment after she'd been discharged and begun cooking. She should have been surprised that he would cook for himself, but she wasn't. Of course he could; being in the rebellion and his upbringing before meant he could and would. "You don't have to do this."

Luke chuckled as he stirred what was in the pan. "After that awful meat dish, yes I do. What do you think they call that, anyway?"

"Oatmeat," Mara told him automatically as she sat down at the table and looked around his small kitchen.

"Oatmeat? As in..."

"As in not actually being made from a meat product."

"Oh." Silence descended as he transferred what was in the pan to two plates and brought it over to her. "Mara?"

She looked at him. "What?"

"You really want to come?" The question was met with a cold glare that seemed to echo into the silence and across their bond as Luke set the two plates on the table. Satisfied, he nodded once and went to fine his silverware. Of course she did. She'd said so.

~*~*~*~*~

They met Han and Leia at the spaceport for breakfast, which hadn't been nearly as bad as Mara had thought it was going to be when Luke told her while she'd packed her bag the night before. As she stood, watching and listening as Luke said his goodbyes to his sister and brother-in-law, Mara had to wonder why Solo kept glancing at her with a raised eyebrow every so often. Did he know something? It sure seemed like it.

She again turned her attention to Leia, only just stopping herself from staring in amazement. The roundness of her abdomen, even hidden under her senatorial garb... she had gone into battle a little over a week ago? The thought of it had Mara wanting to shake her head. She understood that it had been necessary, but...

*Don't,* Luke

19. kataja

kataja Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2007
    Absolutely lovely L&M interaction in this update, the intimacy between them building very convincingly. I like how you capture Mara, stepping back and forth between relent and impatience. And Luke already knows when to give in - but he always was a smart man:p Also liked the slight softening of Mara you showed when she regarded Leia.
    =D= =D=

20. Falcon

Falcon Chosen One star 10

Feb 7, 2002
    Loved the interaction between Luke and Mara and it's obvious they belong together.

Thanks for the pm more soon :)

21. kayladie97

kayladie97 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 6, 2003
    Wonderful story! I love the gradually increasing closeness between Luke and Mara here. The scenes in the hospital were simply luscious! :)

22. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Wonderful update. :) Loved the banter and the warmth. The answering each other's unsaid but thought statements will definitely take some getting used to. Glad Mara doesn't think there's anything wrong with it. :) And Force Braille? I got a charge out of that one. :D :D

Hugs!!!!

23. padawan lunetta

padawan lunetta Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 1999
    Very nice update! Love how they keep answering questions before they're asked, and Han's raised eyebrows at Mara. Great job!

24. dancing_star

Feb 24, 2007
    Lovely interaction between Luke and Mara.[face_love] You certainly captured them all very well. Just wonderful! Looking forward to more!! [:D]@};-
    =D= =D= =D= =D=

25. Jedi_QueenBee

Jedi_QueenBee Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 5, 2008
    pretty amazing!