main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends The Table Was Crowded... (L/M, AU) [update 3/22]

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by DaenaBenjen42, Sep 21, 2008.

1. Raphire

Raphire Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 19, 2008
    I loved the conditioning part!

You seem to add layers to Mara's personality each time you explore her why she gets weird around flowers.

Like Roganda so much!

Brava!

2. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    Raphire: Thank you. :)

A/N: I was shooting for Wednesday... and then DRL hit. (Present word count for NaNo: 2,264.) Enjoy. :)

~*~*~*~

On the way back to the cockpit, Han stopped and looked in on Luke and Mara, wondering why Luke had left the door open. He saw the two of them sitting on the other side of the small room, both asleep with Mara using Luke for a pillow, and couldn't help but want to laugh. Both were fully clothed.

Slowly, quietly in order to not disturb them, Han pulled the blanket off the bunk and grabbed the pillow. Then he turned, covered them with the blanket, and put the pillow behind Luke's head.

Staring down at them, Han smiled. So innocent... and, for that matter, cute. His task complete, Han backed out of the room and paused again in the doorway, soaking in the sight of simple togetherness. It was something normal for Luke, for once. Normal... with potential. That meant a lot.

Shaking his head with barely contained laughter, Ham continued on his way to the cockpit.

~*~*~*~

Mara woke to find herself laying in Luke's arms as he leaned against a bulkhead, and had the presence of mind to wonder when she'd drifted off. She tilted her head slightly to find him watching her. "Hi."

Luke smiled. "Good nap?"

"Probably should have used the bunk," she muttered, but made no move to untangle herself from his arms. "You must be uncomfortable, sitting here with me on the deck."

He shook his head slightly. "No. Took one myself."

"You still tired?"

"Should be asking you that," Mara pointed out. She paused, thinking as she glanced at the bunk. The now-stripped bunk. "Wait. I don't remember grabbing this blanket earlier."

"You didn't. Anymore than I grabbed a pillow."

Mara tilted her head to look at him again, only now noticing the pillow. "Then how..."

"Han," Luke answered automatically. "Or Chewie."

Mara blinked at him. "That happen a lot to you?"

Luke smiled at her again. "Used to happen fairly frequently, sure." He studied her for a moment, realizing something. "You're embarrassed, aren't you?"

She paused. Was she? It was a new experience, but embarrassing? "Maybe a little. Do we have to move?"

"Only if you want to." He listened to the sounds of the ship. "Sounds like we're still in hyperspace."

"You can tell just by listening?"

"Can't you?"

Mara gave up trying to talk and just let herself relax into him again. Blanket, or no blanket, or the implied well-meaning intrusion... it didn't matter. She liked it here.

~*~*~*~

Cam glanced up as Roganda rejoined them in the hold after Solo had left again, studying her as she sat down next to the Wookiee and flashed a smile at him. Huh... she seemed a little more at ease now. "Feel better?"

"You can stop examining all of us, Doctor," Roganda told him curtly. "I'm fine. You're fine, we're all fine."

Lando turned and looked at her. "He was only being courteous, Lady Janson."

She stared at him a moment before glancing at Chewie. "Who is winning?" At his answer, Roganda chuckled. "Ah."

Cam put his cards down and sat back, putting his hands behind his head. "Since we're talking about exams... I had the opportunity to talk to one of the would-be kidnappers that you and Officer Melyan dealt with. Did you know Quest is more than somewhat senile?"

"That could have been the drugs," Roganda pointed out, not even looking at him.

"No, those make a person woozy, not senile or demented."

"He was always demented," she muttered. "And you remember the Emperor, yes?"

"More than I'd like to." At the stares being directed at him from three people, Cam shrugged. "What? I worked in a research hospital before I joined the Rebel Alliance. On Coruscant."

Roganda nodded. "Right. So Quest being somewhat more than slightly mentally off? Not all that unexpected. The dark side... does things to people." She shuddered.

Cam studied the woman, not at all missing the glare from the Wookiee being directed at him. She'd know all about that, but now wasn't the time to press. He'd likely lose an arm if he did. He was saved from continuing that line of thought w

3. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Wonderful update with L/M sharing easy time together, Han's happiness at normalcy with potential. Also enjoy the easy friendship between Roganda and Han.

4. Falcon

Falcon Chosen One star 10

Feb 7, 2002
    What an excellent update, loved the way Han can easily make someone smile with witty humor, and looking after Luke and Mara by putting a blanket on Mara and a pillow under Luke's head. [face_love] He's such a sweet nerfherder :D

Can't wait for more

5. Katana_Sundancer

Katana_Sundancer Jedi Master star 4

Aug 13, 2009
    Beautifully done. Han being such a sweetheart was high point, as was Mara's comment to Luke about missing the finishing of each others sentences... but not enough to start doing it again.

6. kataja

kataja Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2007
    Aww, Han's so sweet -looking out for every one and particularly giving L&M the blanket and pillow! Loved the Luke & Mara moments here, so perfectly at ease, they're getting closer all the time.

Roganda's reactions are interesting, she still puzzles me...Looking forward to getting more bricks ;)

7. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010
    I've only read the first post, so far - and I PROMISE to read the rest.

I'm only posting right away because I want to state my enthusiasm.
    It's a wonderful premise and I look forward to reading more.

=D=

8. DaenaBenjen42

May 15, 2005
    Jade_eyes: About Han... we rarely get to see domestics from him, you know? Thank you, Jade_eyes. :)

JediFalcon: That he is. Thank you. :) (More? Okay...)

Katana_Sundancer: Thank you, Katana. :)

kataja: Glad you're finding her interesting, Kataja. :) Thank you. :)

Hazel: Hi! [:D] Thank you, Hazel. :)

A/N: It's only a page or two, but... I have it, so posting I am! Enjoy. :)

~*~*~*~*~

They'd stopped again for the day and Roganda was now watching Luke give Mara a training session from a distance. It was interesting, watching the two of them. Half the time, they didn't seem to stop arguing, and the other half, there was a very odd serenity about them that simply couldn't be explained in words. She'd also not really ever seen Luke that at ease with another person who wasn't Han before. Not since Bespin, anyway.

"He'll probably annoy her sooner than he thinks," Han said as he sat down next to her. When Mara ran the seedpod through with the tip of the blade, Han chuckled. "Or that."

"Unorthodox, but that is something I'd expect from her."

Han blinked as Luke questioned Mara about what she'd just done, and turned to look at Roganda in question. "What?"

Roganda didn't look at him as she shook her head. "Doesn't matter now, but I knew her. Briefly. Back then."

Han knew he shouldn't have been surpirsed to hear something like that from this woman, but he was. He studied her, trying to figure out what she was saying without forcing her to actually say it. "Right. If you knew her, why doesn't she seem to know you?" And why did he get the feeling that Mara having an inexplicable allergy to flowers might be mixed up in this?

"She was six. I was ten. That was a long time ago, and people change."

"Oh." He paused again, going over what Mara had said about her allergy... about being six or so when an aide had found her having an attack. "Way back then, you mean."

"Yes."

"And you don't think you should bring it up to her, that you know what she is. Or was."

Roganda shook her head again, eyes still on the lesson. She was starting to wonder when they'd begin to kiss each other wildly. Dancing around the issue was maddening... and they really weren't fooling anyone. "More to it than that."

"Of course there is." When wasn't there?

She turned and looked at him, frowning. "What?"

"Openess is good, Roganda."

Roganda chuckled. "You. Leia. Arguing very loudly in the south passage."

Han rolled his eyes. "That's different."

"Not so much."

Han was silent for a few moments as he looked at her, choosing what to say next. "You're hedging, trying to distract me."

"Is it working?"

"No."

"If I promise to talk to her about the Imperial sevice thing, will you drop it?"

"Maybe." Silence followed until Han spoke again. "You want everyone to think you were just a dancer?"

Roganda sighed. "Those that think it always underestimate me." She winced when Han slapped her lightly on the shoulder. "What?"

"Think about it."

She watched him get up and walk off, muttering to himself unintelligably, and frowned. "Think about what?"

~*~*~*~

Lando didn't glance up as Han joined him at the campfire. "Hi."

Han grunted as he sat down on the other side of the fire. "Hey."

"How's the lesson going?"

"Probably better than your last shift watches."

"Funny."

"You're the one who lost three straight rounds of Sabacc to a medic."

Lando looked up, eyebrows raised. "How long are you going to bring that up?"

Han simply smiled at him and didn't say a word.

TBC...

9. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Roganda makes me [face_laugh] with the South Passage reference. ;)

Definitely L/M need to stop trying to fool anyone [face_laugh] "and start kissing wildly" SQUEE!

Hugs!!!!!

10. dancing_star

dancing_star Jedi Master star 4

Feb 24, 2007
    On the way back to the cockpit, Han stopped and looked in on Luke and Mara, wondering why Luke had left the door open. He saw the two of them sitting on the other side of the small room, both asleep with Mara using Luke for a pillow, and couldn't help but want to laugh. Both were fully clothed.

Slowly, quietly in order to not disturb them, Han pulled the blanket off the bunk and grabbed the pillow. Then he turned, covered them with the blanket, and put the pillow behind Luke's head.

Staring down at them, Han smiled. So innocent... and, for that matter, cute. His task complete, Han backed out of the room and paused again in the doorway, soaking in the sight of simple togetherness. It was something normal for Luke, for once. Normal... with potential. That meant a lot.

I loved this. [face_love] Han is so sweet. :* And I love how Luke immediately knew who gave them the pillow and blanket because he's done it before.
    Wonderful updates!! =D=[:D]

11. kataja

May 4, 2007
    Half the time, they didn't seem to stop arguing, and the other half, there was a very odd serenity about them that simply couldn't be explained in words.
    Loved that - prefectly L/M! And I look very much forward to when they start kissing each otehr madly! :D ;)

12. Falcon

Feb 7, 2002
    When will Luke and Mara start kissing each other? Who are they think they're fooling anyways?

Can't wait for more

13. DaenaBenjen42

May 15, 2005
    Jade_eyes: ... [face_whistling] Thank you, Jade_eyes. :)

dancing_star: Thank you, star. [:D]

kataja: Thank you. :)

JediFalcon: Um... soon? Thank you, JediFalcon. :)

~*~*~*~

Right about now, Roganda was wishing for a distraction. She didn't want to be sitting here with Mara, Artoo, and a sarcastic, overprotective medic. The Noghri had followed them here. Somehow, that wasn't really a surprise. She glanced at Mara, uncertain of what she wanted to say and silently cursing Solo in her mind. "I was never a dancer."

Mara turned and frowned at her. "I kind of figured you weren't."

"Except in accordance with a need to be undercover."

Cam suddenly snorted, drawing their attention to him. "What? Continue."

"Go away," Roganda told him through clenched teeth. "This is hard enough without you laughing."

"Oh, that wasn't a laugh, Lady Ismaren. I sneezed." He motioned to the trees. "And it's not like there's anywhere to go. Vine snakes and all that." She glared at him and he shook his head. "But I will do my best to be quiet. Continue."

Mara, meanwhile, was staring at Roganda in fascination. "You were Imperial. Like me."

Roganda's head spun back to her so fast, she got dizzy for a moment. "I'm sorry?"

"It was no secret that there were deep cover agents, Roganda." Mara shook her head slowly, an expression of exasperation showing only minutely on her face. "I'd been under the impression that I was the only Hand, but... obviously not." She frowned. "What happened to you that you ended up with the Rebel Alliance?"

Roganda blinked, stunned for a moment before turning and looking at Cam. "Can you leave us alone for a few minutes? What I have to say, I can't say in front of you."

Cam studied her for a few seconds before he stood up, nodding. "Want me to take Artoo?"

"Please."

Cam tapped Artoo's dome. "Come on." At Artoos' protesting warble, Cam bent down closer to him. "So listen from a distance." He led Artoo far enough away so Roganda and Mara could have some form of privacy without actually being out of sight.

A short time later, Luke, Lando, Chewie, Han, and Threepio returned to camp and Cam intercepted them before they could join the women at the camp fire. "Wait. They're having a long talk, getting to know each other better."

Han stared at him. "Why aren't you over there with them?"

"Because Roganda had something to explain about why she turned Rebel that she couldn't say in front of me."

"Oh." Han looked toward them, then glanced at Luke. "They okay?"

"So far," Luke muttered.

"Good."

"What happened?" Cam wondered, noticing the extra two non-humans. "And who are they?"

Han smiled. "Those are Noghri and we gained some allies. Seems the natives want the Imps gone nearly as much as we want to get rid of that base."

Cam nodded. "Good to hear."

"Lando also gained some company for last watch," Han put in, teasing ever so lightly. Lando, for his part, only hmphed and went to find his bedroll to turn in early.

"Is there some joke I'm missing related to Lando being on late night watches?" Luke wondered suddenly.

Cam smirked and held up a hand, forestalling Han from saying anything. "Nor really. He said something he shouldn't have, I got a little miffed, and had a sting of luck. The bet was night watches."

"Oh."

~*~*~*~*~

Mara was still dumbfounded when Luke joined them. She took a moment to acknowledge his presence over the bond, but kept her gaze on Roganda. To be following orders and have something like that happen... It was unimaginable. "You seem awfully calm about it all."

Roganda shook her head. "I'm not, even now." She glanced at Luke, sighed, and turned to find Han, Threepio, Chewie, the medic, and Artoo watching them from a distance. "Did Solo send you over here?"

"No. Felt Mara's shock all the way from the conference with the natives."

Roganda turned back to look at him, then looked at Mara, who shrugged nonchalantly. "I guess it is somewhat shocking, finding out you weren't the only one who thought of that man as a sort of father figure."

Mara frowned su

14. Goddess_At_Heart

Goddess_At_Heart Jedi Padawan star 2

Mar 20, 2010
    I missed posts!? :eek: I'm sorry. *ashamed*

Anyway. YAY! for Dark Star! I love that little guy.

L/M growing strong, I like it. A lot. :D

Cam is annoying me so much, & I have no idea why. :confused:

Ok, again, anyway. AWESOME update! More soon??

:)

15. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Oooh jam packed update!!!!!

=D=

Cool beans on Dark Star appearing in this fic. :D :)

More of Mara's memories are starting to surface in snatches it seems [face_thinking]

16. Falcon

Feb 7, 2002
    Awesome update and loved the fact you showed us when Dark Star meets up with Mara and how quickly she accepted the feline.

I can't wait for more :D =D=

17. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010
    Finaly caught up of this one. :)

L/M are so cute together, and now they got themselfs a kitty. Adorable! @};-

Very curious to see where this is going.

18. kataja

May 4, 2007
    You keep adding bricks to the puzzle but I still haven't figured it out! :p

Mara certainly take the news of not being the only Hand well ? nice to see.

"And now you know why I both needed surgery and a shower after Bespin."
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

And Dark Star - awww [face_blush]

19. Raphire

Raphire Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 19, 2008
    This is just getting more and more confusing. Lol. I liked it a lot though.

However I just wish Mara had gotten to break down some more walls. Just teaching concepts doesn't sound like fun to me. If I were going to teach people my methods I would want to have fun doing it. [face_devil]

Love the bit with the kitty.

Roganda has me very curious though. More with her please!!!!!!!

20. EmeraldWings90

EmeraldWings90 Jedi Knight

Oct 23, 2009
    Love the story, could I get PM please? :)

21. dancing_star

dancing_star Jedi Master star 4

Feb 24, 2007
    Awesome update!! =D= Loved it! [face_love] [face_dancing]

Cam arrived and immediately declared Luke as having a concussion, but not a spinal injury, so Han could let go of his head... just as soon as he wanted to.

Han's protectiveness of Luke is so endearing. [face_love]

Just wonderful! =D= @};- (Sorry for the lateness in replying [face_blush] - lots of school work still) but I'm really loving this story! [:D]

22. DaenaBenjen42

May 15, 2005
    Goddess_At_Heart: Cam is annoying me so much, & I have no idea why.

Because he's acting like Alex Karev from Grey's Anatomy? ;) Thank you. :) (And... yep. More soon.)

Jade_eyes: Glad you liked the jam-packedness. I couldn't not do this without the cat. And... oh yes. She did. Thank you, Jade_eyes. :)

JediFalcon: Thank you. More... just after I recover from my father actually bonding with a dog for the first time in seventeen years. (Um... next week.) :)

Hazel: Yay for getting caught up! [:D] Thank you, Hazel. :)

kataja: Well, when she figured out there were other Hands originally, Roganda had also brainwashed people she knew. Here... not so much. Thank you, kataja. :)

Raphire: If I were going to teach people my methods I would want to have fun doing it.

It depends on WHAT the lesson is, really... and who's to say that a concept like "try not, do, or do not... there is no try" wasn't exactly what that person needed to hear? (Plus, Roganda kicked his behind when she was emotionally :eek: 8-} [face_blush] ... somehow, after that, I think Luke would tread softly, don't you?) Thank you, Raphire. :)

EmeraldWings90: Hi. Yep on PM's. Thank you. :)

dancing_star: Thank you, Star. :)

Updated PM list for this story...

Jade_eyes
    dancing_star
    MaraJade4S
    Raphire
    madman007
    JediMike2372
    kataja
    frankieskywalker
    maramijade
    JordanCHFel
    dm1
    whateveritis12
    Wifflesnip
    Darth_Drachonus
    Jedi42
    Jingocat
    Goddess_At_Heart
    Lady_Jedi93
    Katana_Sundancer
    EmeraldWings90

Standard PM disclaimer applies: if anyone is on this list and does not want to be, or isn't on it and would like to be, please let me know. Thank you.

23. DaenaBenjen42

May 15, 2005
    ~*~*~*~

Luke was considering turning the Dejarik game on when he saw the hospital identification bracelet still adorning his wrist. Inspecting it curiously for a long moment, he frowned. That wasn't his name. "Skywander?"

Mara tilted her head in curiosity. "What?"

"This thing says Skywander." Luke turned to find Cam leaning against a bulkhead, attempting to read a datapad while covertly watching both them and Roganda as she slept in one of the other chairs. "Skywander? Really?"

Cam glanced at him. "Back before I joined the Alliance, years before you blew up the Death Star at Yavin, we had a severely injured patient transferred to the hospital I worked in from a Star Destroyer. The name on the order was Skywander... and the ship in question was the Executor. It was never confirmed or denied one way or the other, but..." His eyes went distant for a moment before Cam shook his head and returned to reading the datapad. "Anyway, just because I might have hospital privileges at a hospital on Corellia because they know me, does not mean I trust local law enforcement not to arrest anyone. So yes... your ID bracelet has a fake name on it. Possibly even one your father the Sith used when he thought he was being sneaky."

Luke stared hard at Cam, blinking in near-disbelief. He could believe it, but... "What happened to that patient?"

"She lived," Cam told him curtly, levering himself off the bulkhead. "Vouched for my team and I when we defected. That's the only part of that long story that I'm going to tell you." He paused for a moment. "That, and don't anger Dr. Moss... she tends to sing childrens songs to people who are deservedly hung over."

Luke frowned. "Where are you going?"

Cam motioned to Roganda. "To get Solo. She's not sleeping, even if it looks like it."

Luke watched the man leave, then turned his attention to Roganda... who wasn't sleeping. Her breathing pattern was wrong for that. "Odd."

"Luke," Mara suddenly said, her tone making him turn to look at her. She'd stood up, Dark Star still purring in her arms. "Whatever she's doing, he's right."

Right then, Han and Chewie appeared and Han went to Roganda while the Wookiee hung back at a watchful distance. Luke moved to ask what the big deal was, but Han waved him off without actually looking at him. "Later, Kid. Later." So chastised, Luke simply nodded and waited for whatever they seemed to think was incoming.

Roganda opened her eyes a moment later, and blinked in surprise to find Han kneeling in front of her, a concerned expression on his face. "Bastard."

Han frowned at her. "Huh?"

"Not you."

"Oh. Who?"

"It's a good thing he's dead."

"Ah."

She continued to frown at him. "Aren't you supposed to be driving?"

"Vectrol got all concerned."

Roganda laughed. "Oh. You can go back to the cockpit now."

"You're sure?"

She grabbed his hand, smiled genuinely. "Yes. Tell you later." Han nodded, stood back up, exchanged at knowing glance with Chewie, and returned from whence he came. Chewie stayed behind and sat down in the seat Mara had vacated.

Roganda looked at Mara, and proceeded to keep a straight face at seeing something so cute. No need to tell the woman how adorable she looked with a cat in her arms. "He was right, by the way."

"Who?"

"Luke."

"I'm right here," Luke pointed out impatiently. "What was I right about? And why is it good that someone is dead? You're confusing me."

"Palpatine." At Luke's confused silence, Roganda smiled. Or tried to. It came out as more of a grimace. "You were right about the do or do not thing. You, Solo, and Cam all told me the same thing in varying ways. So... I did. I figured it out, why I couldn't say what I wanted to say." She glanced at Mara again. "You still have that empty packet?"

Mara was still frowning. "Yes. Why?"

"Because those memories you had surface are real... and Cam was furious with me for going with subtle without telling anyone."

"What?"

Roganda sighed. Time to attack this from another angle... "You have a vague memory of seeing someone who resembles me, say a child of ten years of age, right?"

24. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Nice update. Everyone seems to be adjusting as much as they can to the snippets of memory they're getting. [face_thinking]

25. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010
    Mara and Luke and the Dark Star... they're so cute! :D