main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga - PT Before the Saga Saga - Legends The Tale of Noora and Seyf | Pre-TPM to RotS, OCs, drama/tragedy | Epic, Celtic Song Challenge

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Chyntuck, Sep 9, 2017.

1. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    The Jedi and the Naboo senator had developed a rapport through their brief encounters over the years, and Mace Windu thought that Palpatine displayed a much better understanding of the principles and purpose of the Jedi Order than most politicians.

Having read this text bit, a song from the musical "Chicago" came to mind: "Razzle Dazzle".

But Sheev´s last words to Seyf make me wonder if he says them to every promising young lad who is a possible Sith apprentice:

Palpatine’s grin widened. He stepped forward and patted the boy’s shoulder. “And I am sure that you will become an excellent Jedi as well, young man. I will be watching your career with great interest.”

2. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    NO NO NO, Palpy! You stay away from those two! I mean it!

This was a really great entry... we can see where Noora and Seyf complement each other; his action, her inward calm and her art.

And this. For all he senses it, for all his foreboding, Mace cannot see it under his nose :emperor: . It is hard that Noora is on the receiving end of his suspicions, but at least he's not punishing her or showing his doubts of her.

Oh, this can't end well...

3. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    I love that we see so clearly in this entry how different and complementary Noora and Seyf are, with their favorite areas of study that reflect their names ( :) ); those differences somehow makes their bond all the more beautiful and remarkable. Mace's pride in their abilities is certainly encouraging, and even he is not completely immune to the happiness they radiate when they go off together with Pooly to Noora's art lesson with Master Koch. But this is Mace Windu we're talking about here, so even with those moments of pride and appreciation aren't going to stop him from being concerned about the children's bond and about the unorthodox (oh noes!1!) way Noora is using her powers. (Though he's definitely not wrong to be concerned about her visions at the Sacred Spire, especially if they keep happening again and again.)

And who should come on the scene but the Palpster himself... I absolutely echo WarmNyota_SweetAyesha on the many ironic undertones here. First, there's the way Mace almost seems to latch on to him as someone who knows How Things Should Be in the Jedi Order. Then there's the way Palpatine seems to understand a number of things better than Mace does: the importance of artistic training (connected, no doubt, at least partly to his Naboo heritage), and the whole nature of Noora and Seyf's devotion. Mace's attempts to divert the conversation from those more fraught topics—about Seyf's ability in "more traditional" areas, about how the kids Aren't Jedi Just Yet—seem almost buffoonish and desperate in contrast. There's something a little bit defensive in Seyf's final comment, even though it's couched in politeness and duly qualified with a "sir"; it comes through in the way he's clutching her hand, too. I shouldn't wonder if he's picked up on the subtle disapproval Mace has voiced to Palpatine—and given the hotheaded side of nature, I could see things escalating later. [face_thinking]

Nor did it escape my notice that this chapter ends with Palpatine saying the same thing to Seyf that he did to the young Anakin when they first meet in Ep. 1... and we know wherein that "interest" consisted. I'm guessing something similar (but also very distinct) may be in store here. Again, [face_thinking] !

4. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Thank you all for reading and reviewing! I apologise for taking so long to update; the next chapter was giving me trouble and I spent the best part of two weeks re-writing it because I wasn't quite happy with it. I'm actually still not entirely happy with it, but I'm posting anyway because I want to move this story forward.

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Thank you for your comments! Yes, Noora and Seyf are growing up, and they're growing up together [face_love] Mace Windu might be a great Jediand with time he's beginning to understand that people can benefit from strong bonds of friendship, but he's too set in his own ways to fully grasp what it can mean –or to even see that Palps is wrapping him around his little finger :p

AzureAngel2 LOL for "Razzle Dazzle" [face_laugh] That's Palps for you, isn't it? Putting up a big show for everyone and testing the waters for placeholder apprentices – until Anakin comes along. Thanks for the review!

Mistress_Renata Thank you! The good news is that Palpy will be distracted soon by the arrival of the real candidate for Sith apprentice. The bad news is that, well, he's Palpy, and we all know that Mace Windu won't see a thing until it's too late.

Findswoman Thanks! Mace Windu will have a lot more to be concerned about soon, and once again he won't get what it means – just as he doesn't see what the Palpster is up to here. Palpatine immediately sees that the strong bond between Noora and Seyf is something he could use to his advantage; Seyf's attachment to Noora is something he can hope to manipulate and there's a promising young lad right there that could make a great apprentice for him. So he's testing the waters, so to speak, and I guess it's just lucky for Seyf that Anakin will soon come along (if you can call that luck!)

Thanks again for all the comments, and thanks to everyone who stopped by to read! Next chapter coming right up.

5. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Chapter 5: The Gathering

The twenty-year-old padawan completed his little lecture under the watchful gaze of his master just as the large kyber crystal hoisted near the ceiling of the Ilum Jedi Temple focused the sunlight on the frozen waterfall. The wall of ice immediately began to melt and the younglings steeled themselves for the trial to come. “Once you’ve found your crystal, don’t linger,” Obi-Wan Kenobi added as a final reminder. “Once daylight subsides, the door will freeze over and you’ll be trapped inside the Crystal Cave for one full planetary rotation. Now go, and may the Force be with you.”

Seyf took Noora’s hand and led the way towards the mouth of the Cave, with the other initiates following reluctantly. “How will we know which crystal is ours?” a Twi’lek from Rancor Clan asked. “This place is supposed to be full of them.”

“They say your crystal will reveal itself to you,” Seyf said. “But there’s a trial to overcome in order to be able to get hold of it.”

The Twi’lek didn’t seem particularly reassured. “What trial?”

“Don’t worry,” Noora said serenely. “Just think of it as part of our training. We pass tests every day in the temple. We can do it again today.”

“What if we fail? What if I can’t find my crystal?”

Noora stopped to rub his shoulder. “Don’t talk like that. You know what Master Yoda says. The greatest cause of failure, fear of failure itself is, mmh?”

Her imitation of the elderly master elicited a small chuckle from the group, and they resumed their march silently through a gallery where an ornate colonnade had been carved out of ice. They finally reached a circular room with half a dozen doors leading in different directions. “What now?” the Twi’lek asked. “How do we know where to go?”

Seyf looked at Noora expectantly. “We should meditate,” she said. “The Force will point us in the right direction.”

The little group of ten-year-olds sat cross-legged on the frozen ground and sought to focus, but they were tense and fidgety and their efforts were fruitless. “Don’t let stray thoughts intrude in your mind,” Noora’s dreamy voice said. “We can do this. We were chosen for this trial because we’re ready. Just think of your crystal. See it. It will tell you where it is.”

There was a brief silence and the Twi’lek jumped to his feet. “Mine is… over there, I think.” He pointed at one of the doors. “I’ll go and find it.” He jogged away, then returned briefly. “Thanks, Noora!” And with that he was gone.

One after the other the younglings left. Seyf was shaking with impatience while Noora completed her trance, but he waited for her. She finally opened her eyes. “Did you see yours?” he asked anxiously.

She nodded. “Yes, this way. You?”

He gestured towards the door opposite to the one she had indicated. “There.”

They stood together a moment longer in the rotunda. He took her hands and squeezed them. “Let’s go then.”

“Let’s go.”

They took a few steps apart. “Oh, and Seyf… Don’t get too carried away, will you?” she said with an impish smile. “Take the time you need. You’ll get your crystal in the end, no matter what.”

It made him laugh. “Sure. And you… don’t get sidetracked and remember to come out of the Cave, yeah? We’re going to be Padawans, we’re going to build our own lightsabers! That’s an appointment you don’t want to miss.”

The gallery along which Seyf had begun to walk evolved into a rough tunnel dug straight into the rock. At least an hour had elapsed since he’d begun his solitary quest. He was struggling hard not to give in to his natural impatience and break into a run, but the ground under his feet was uneven and slippery and the last thing he wanted was to fail this particular task because of a silly misstep. He stopped several times to focus and find his centre, he did a few breathing exercises and he went on his way. He had seen his crystal very clearly during the group meditation; it was waiting for him atop a tall boulder. He hesitated briefly when the tunnel forked. Something in the back of his mind was telling him that he was heading in the wrong direction. He backtracked a little and saw a small opening to his left – it was a shaft rather than a tunnel, and he would have to crouch to enter it, but his instincts told him that this was the way to go. He crawled through the gap on all fours and followed the burrow, and soon he arrived in a vast cavern surrounded by cliffs.

His crystal was there! He could see it; it was shimmering softly at him from the top of one of the escarpments – the issue being, of course, that it was well out of his reach. There appeared to be another opening just behind it, presumably another tunnel or gallery that connected with the rest of the Crystal Cave. He walked up to the rocky wall and examined it. The bottom part was sheer, smooth ice. However, the upper section, while steep, was far more jagged. He should be able to get a handhold on the craggy outcroppings to pull himself up. He went back to the other side of the cavern for a better view. There was an overhanging stone halfway up the cliff that would make a good hold to begin his ascent. He took a deep breath, took a run across the open expanse and leapt with all his might.

The Force carried him as he soared up the air, and for the briefest of moments he thought he would achieve his goal. He understood that it had been a fool’s hope as soon as he touched the stone. The rocky protuberance was rugged and uneven indeed – but ice had gathered on the top ledge over the centuries, and it was as sleek and wet as anything in the Cave. He was able to fumble only for a fraction of a second to secure his grasp before his fingers slipped off the stone. He fell to the ground with a loud thud.

He remained there for a few minutes, inhaling and exhaling deeply to fight back against the pain. His entire body ached. He could feel that his right ankle was swelling and he let out a yelp when he tried to stand up. It was a nasty sprain, bad enough that he wouldn’t be able to climb up the cliff even if he managed to perform a rudimentary healing trance. He looked up at his crystal and sighed. There was still a way to reach it; it would take time but it was the option he should have gone for in the first place. He could imagine Noora’s disapproving grimace when he told her that he had chosen to engage in dangerous acrobatics instead of following the long and steady road. He checked his chronometer. Three hours to go before the waterfall at the entrance of the Cave froze over. He settled back on the ground as comfortably as he could. He would attempt to heal himself a little and meditate, and then he would go searching for the tunnel that led straight to his crystal on the top of the cliff.

Noora ambled down her tunnel with her eyes tightly shut. The vergence in the Ilum Temple was so powerful that she didn’t need to look in order to see; all she had to do was to surrender herself completely to the Force and trust it to lead her steps to the crystal that had called to her in the rotunda. She could sense thousands of the glassy gems around her as she made her way deeper into the Cave. They sang to her of younglings who would come and fetch them, or younglings who were long gone; they told her of the hopes and expectations of the initiates that began their quest in the galleries, of the excitement of those who succeeded and of the despondency of those who failed to reach their goal. She was hearing the stories of all Jedi past, present and future who had walked or would walk this path, and she caught herself several times slowing her pace to listen to their tales. It was the memory of Seyf’s voice admonishing her not to give in to distraction that pushed her forward.

She felt herself shiver as she reached a junction, and she opened her eyes to see that a chunk of rock had been brutally gouged out of the wall. The place was awash with sinister emotions, an unwelcome reminder that some who had come before her had given in to their anger. She would not become one of them, she thought firmly; her heart had always been pure and she would rather leave the Jedi Order than turn to the dark. She took a step away from the black hole and focused again to find her centre. Her crystal called to her once more. She abandoned behind her the trace of the fallen youngling’s passage in the Cave and pressed on.

She soon found herself in a small chamber made of pure ice. Her crystal was waiting for her atop a waist-high boulder, twinkling cheerfully in the dim light. She clapped her hands happily and stepped forward to take it, but a gleam in the wall caught her attention. She moved closer to examine it.

There was a second crystal embedded in the ice – a crystal that was not hers, but whose story wanted to be told. She closed her eyes, willing her mind to let go of her elation and listen to its song, and she pressed her palm to the pale glow.

She was immediately assaulted by an avalanche of emotions so violent that she nearly passed out. The youngling who would come to collect this crystal would suffer unspeakable pain – he would love and be loved so intensely that it would destroy him; he would fight in a terrible war and lose everything he held dear; he would meet his end in a blaze of fire that would leave him diminished and crippled, his soul a shadow of its former self, a cesspool of anger and agony where the light of redemption was all but snuffed out. The crystal would then go dormant for years before passing into the hands of his son, who would lose it in turn when he fell into an abyss, a victim of his father’s deeds; it would later be found again and call to a solitary girl who had to fight evil yet again –

Noora held on to the wall as long as she could, understanding that she had been summoned there to bear witness. She called upon her usual whirl of colours and lights in a desperate attempt to fight back against the dark emotions and leave her imprint on the stone – but there came a point when she simply couldn’t take it anymore. She fell to her knees and wept.

Qui-Gon Jinn stood in the atrium of the temple, his eyes twinkling joyously as he listened to the initiates who had already found their crystal and returned, when he sensed that one of his wards was in great distress. A glance at his padawan told him that Obi-Wan could feel it too. “Not to worry, the youngling is nearby,” he said, placing a hand on the younger man’s shoulder. “We wouldn’t be able to sense her if she were deep in the Cave.”

Moments later, Noora staggered out of the tunnel. She was pale and drawn. As she came closer, the Jedi Master saw that her eyes were red from crying. The boy named Seyf limped to her as fast as he could; she fell in his arms with a new outburst of sobs. “Are you hurt?” he asked.

“I’m okay,” she hiccuped. “I’m okay now. I’m…”

Her voice trailed off. “Did something happen to you, youngling?” Qui-Gon asked gently.

“I’m fine, Master, thank you. It’s just that I had a vision in the Cave, and… and…” – she took a deep breath – “I don’t think I want to be a Jedi anymore.”

“What sort of vision?” Obi-Wan asked.

“Don’t be stupid!” Seyf said at the same time. “Of course you want to be a Jedi.”

“Let Noora speak,” the Jedi Master said. “She’s clearly been through a harrowing experience.” He rubbed the child’s back. “Calm yourself, little one. Would you like to return to the Crucible and rest? You found your crystal, didn’t you?”

Noora gave Seyf a guilty look. “I found it, Master… but I didn’t take it.”

The little assembly let out a collective gasp. “What?” Seyf yelped. “You have to go back! The waterfall isn’t frozen yet. You still have time!”

Obi-Wan snorted. “Or maybe you didn’t find it but don’t want to admit it.”

Seyf glared at him. “Noora doesn’t lie. Noora never lies!”

“It’s okay, Seyf,” Noora whispered. “It doesn’t matter if he believes me. I know you do.”

“The issue is, will the Jedi Council believe you,” Obi-Wan replied heatedly. “It wouldn’t be the first time that –”

Qui-Gon rose to his feet and spoke with unusual harshness. “That’s enough, Padawan. There is no deception in this girl – something you would know if you listened to the Force instead of jumping to conclusions.”

Seyf gave Obi-Wan a sour look before turning back to his friend. “What happened?”

She told him haltingly of her adventure in the tunnels, the stories that the crystals were singing and her discovery in the small ice chamber. “It was awful,” she concluded. “So much darkness, so much pain, for generations to come. I don’t want to be part of that.”

Qui-Gon Jinn rubbed her back again. “This isn’t a decision you need to take now, Noora. You’re in shock. We’ll discuss it again with your instructor, and you can choose to come back with another group. Now go and rest – and heal. Obi-Wan and Seyf will take you to the ship.”

The padawan bowed to his master and led the two younglings back to the Crucible. “You still don’t believe her, do you?” Seyf challenged him as they walked up the boarding ramp.

Obi-Wan shook his head. “My master believes her. I believe her too.” He paused and added slowly, “You know, sensing the song of the crystals, of a crystal that isn’t yours… it’s not unheard of, but it’s rare. It’s very rare. The Jedi of old believed it to be an omen that events are coming to change the course of history.”

Seyf glanced at Noora. She nodded. “Yes,” she breathed. “It will happen. I’m sure of it.”

---------------------------

Endnotes and Wookieepedia links

The description of the Gathering in this chapter is borrowed primarily from TCW S05E06, in which it’s shown that a padawan (in this case Ahsoka) is tasked with coaching a group of younglings to enter the Ilum Crystal Cave and find their crystals.

More links: Ilum Jedi Temple, Crucible

6. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Wonderful details of Seyf's and Noora's crystal hunt. Seyf's impetuousness still came through but I'm glad it didn't derail his goals. But Noora -- wow the vision she had certainly has given her second thoughts! Will she hold to them or make another decision after more considering?

7. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    Just getting around to reading this now, and so far I am enjoying this a lot. I shall subscribe so I can keep up with your installments.

AzureAngel2 and Chyntuck like this.
  8. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    I just loved this. That Noora was able to hear the stories the kyber crystals were telling her, and that they already knew the fates of those who would choose them. That MUST be a rare gift, even among Jedi! I'm guessing the one that was ripped out had belonged to Sidious or Maul? Poor Noora. If she doesn't want to stay with the Jedi, she will need to continue learning how to shield her mind or she runs the risk of madness, she is so empathic.

9. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Thank you for the reviews and thanks to everyone who stopped by to read! My apologies for the delay in updating – I've had this chapter ready for a while, but then I read the latest update in divapilot 's amazing Code Breaker diary and I had to revise the timeline for this story when she agreed that I could borrow some events from her fic for a later chapter of this one [face_love]
    Thank you :) I really liked that particular episode of TCW where finding their crystal is a learning process for the younglings. They have to overcome one of their flaws in order for the crystal to reveal itself, and for Seyf it would make sense that it's his impatience. But Noora... in a sense, this is a test that she failed. Her flaw is her tendency to be easily distracted, and she let herself be distracted by the other crystal instead of focusing on the task at hand. However, she also chose to let herself be distracted, in that she sensed that there was something bigger than her at stake here. Now what will she do about it? Read on...

Thanks and welcome to this story [:D]

Thanks! I don't think that there's anything in canon so far about the ability to hear crystals in general; as far as I can tell the only thing that's explicitly shown in TCW is that the only crystal younglings can see is the one that's intended for them. But I thought it made sense that those with powers of empathy should be able to perceive more – that's what being an empath is about, in a way: the ability to perceive things that aren't explicitly intended for you. I didn't settle on a definitive identity for the owner of the crystal that was gouged out of the rock, because the cave has been visited by Force users for millenia, so it could be pretty much any dark sider – but we all know who will pick up the one next to Noora's :)

Thanks again to the readers, reviewers and lurkers! Next chapter up in 5, 4, 3...

10. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Chapter 6: The Trials

The past three years had been difficult for Seyf. It wasn’t only that the demands of his studies had grown as Briar Clan’s Initiate Trials drew closer and that his one-on-one lightsaber training sessions with Mace Windu had become exceedingly taxing – which, at the same time, was a flattering sign of the high expectations the Jedi Master had from him. It wasn’t even that Sheev Palpatine’s interest in him had reached new heights and that he felt compelled to outdo himself, even more so after hearing of the Naboo senator’s election to the position of Supreme Chancellor of the Republic a few days ago. No, what truly disturbed him and gnawed at his soul was the sense that Noora was drifting away.

Seyf could see that Noora was spending an inordinate amount of time working on her art projects with Nazmat Koch; she neglected her formal training to the point that he had to literally beg her to return to the Ilum caves and collect her crystal after she postponed her trip for the fifth time. It was as if she didn’t care about becoming a Jedi anymore, and this was something that Seyf simply could not conceive. Life outside the Jedi Temple was unthinkable to him, and the Jedi Temple included Noora. It had included her since the very first day and she was part and parcel of his past, present and future. He had never doubted that they were meant to become Jedi Knights – together – and he had to admit to himself, when he was alone with his thoughts, that he was angry at Noora for questioning the life that had been laid out for them both.

He took up the issue with some of the masters that Noora was close to – Yamma Ummia, Yoland Fee, Master Yoda himself – but the answer he obtained from them was invariably that each youngling in the temple had to choose his or her own path, and that while Noora’s particular skills were greatly valued by the Order, it was up to her to decide how best to serve the Force. He even considered discussing the matter with Mace Windu before opting against it. He still found the Korun’s stern manner extremely intimidating, and he could sense that he was not quite as positively inclined towards Noora as other senior Jedi among the instructors. Deep down, Seyf had spent these three years in the fear that Master Windu would notice Noora’s lack of interest in her studies and expel her from the temple, and he was under the unpleasant impression that it was only her barely acceptable results in the various tests they took that had spared her such a fate.

The past three years had been difficult for Noora as well. Her vision in the Crystal Cave had deeply shaken her confidence that, through the Jedi path, she would be able to do some good in the galaxy, and she felt that her attempts at exploring avenues to serve the Force through her art were constantly sidetracked by the requirements of her studies. She still greatly enjoyed the meditation class and she had considerably improved her talent to sense and nurture life, but she had lost interest in the other skills she was taught unless she could put them to use when creating her grass sculptures. She had developed a particular dislike for duelling; the very act of holding a training saber made her shiver at the memory of the pain she had experienced in the cave and she wished with all her might that she didn’t need to build her own weapon in order to remain a member of the Order. It was Seyf’s insistence and a little gentle prodding from Nazmat Koch, who advised her not to burn any bridges until she could come to a final decision about her future, that had convinced her to return to Ilum and fetch her crystal, and, while the little gem itself was warm and comforting in her hand, she always associated it with the sorrow carried by its brother that was still waiting for its owner in the ice wall.

What made her dilemma outright painful was Seyf’s attitude. Seyf was adamant that, to remain faithful to the Jedi Code and pursue her growth on the path of the light, she should overcome what he viewed as fear, and to him this entailed setting aside her misgivings and becoming a Jedi Knight. Noora understood that she needed to better handle the dark emotions that threatened at times to overwhelm her soul, but it was also obvious to her that repressing them to a deep recess of her mind was not a solution, and that there were many possible ways to address the challenge she faced. She found solace in the roof gardens of the temple, where Nazmat Koch and Yoland Fee taught her how to care for rare plants and integrate them in her art while Pooly the convor fluttered above their heads. She was hesitant to discuss her options with any of her instructors in the temple – she felt that she would be letting them down if she told them that their teachings were going to waste – and her sole interlocutor was Qui-Gon Jinn, who sought, as much as he could, to make time for her when he was on Coruscant in-between missions with his padawan.

Master Qui-Gon listened to her attentively during their long conversations about the Living Force; he was never judgemental or condescending and, despite his commitment to the Jedi Order, he always encouraged her to seek her own path. It felt strange to have such a deep bond with someone who wasn’t Seyf, and it felt even stranger not to bring Seyf along to these meetings. But Noora believed that he wouldn’t understand, and that, in his overprotectiveness, Seyf would drive a wedge between her and the only person to whom she could pour her heart out. At the same time, she felt that she was somehow betraying her friend’s trust by not discussing with him the advice that Qui-Gon was giving her, and she had compartmentalised her life so tightly that, when the Jedi Master’s death on Naboo dealt her a devastating blow, she had no one to share her sorrow. She went to hide in the eglant thicket in the roof gardens, cradling Pooly in her arms to cry when her sense of bereavement became too overwhelming, and, when Seyf asked why she was so sad, she chalked up her despondency to the glum mood that prevailed in the temple in these days of mourning. In a sense, it was a good thing that their Initiate Trials were drawing near – Seyf was too absorbed by his studies to notice how distressed she truly was, and the need to focus on their learning was as good a way as any to keep her mind off her grief.

Seyf agreed that they should end their daily training with a meditation session near the Sacred Spire, and she was grateful for it. She was aware that she was under scrutiny by Master Windu for her recurring vision of the burning temple every time she came to the holy shrine, and she couldn’t blame him – but there was something undefinable at the end of the vision that even she didn’t understand, and that told her that she would remain on the path to the light. Moreover, this intimate moment of shared pain followed by absolute serenity was an opportunity to genuinely experience the strength of her bond with Seyf. She could sense that a major change was going to come about in her life, and it was a comfort to think that, whatever happened, her friendship with Seyf would never be challenged.

He had to remember to thank Noora when this was over, Seyf thought as he took his leave from Shaak Ti and Jocasta Nu. The two masters had requested that, for his second trial, he demonstrated the strength of his connection to the Force through meditation and telekinesis in one of the chapels surrounding the Sacred Spire, and he had performed well. He had levitated the various objects that they presented to him effortlessly; he had even managed to alter the shape of a cloud of sand when prompted; and he was confident that they had been able to sense the currents of the living energy field flowing through him as he surrendered himself to it. His visualisation of the Force hadn’t evolved since his first visit to the shrine – he still perceived it as flashes and whirls of blue and green – and he worried sometimes that it could be interpreted as a failure in his personal development, but there was no doubt that it had become more intense and he was hopeful that the masters felt it too.

He was certain that he had excelled at his first trial. He’d had no difficulty assembling his lightsaber under the watchful gaze of Cin Drallig and Saesee Tiin and he had demonstrated his duelling skills, which were quite advanced for a Jedi initiate, to the best of his ability. All that was left now was the final trial, where Mace Windu and Yoda would ask him to display his understanding of the Jedi Code. Seyf was giddy, almost excited as he headed to the chamber where he was due to meet the two masters. It was custom to take initiates outside and confront them with a real-life situation for this particular test, and he was curious to see what they had come up with to try his mettle.

A sandy-haired boy who had recently come to the temple with Qui-Gon Jinn and was now apprenticed to Obi-Wan Kenobi gave him an encouraging smile as he reached the foot of the northwest tower. Seyf was curious to learn more about him – rumour had it that he was the fabled Chosen One of an ancient prophecy – but there would be time for that later. He smiled back and boarded the turbolift that would take him to the room at the top of the spire. He straightened his robes as he arrived on the landing, chimed the bell and stepped inside.

It suddenly dawned on him that it was a great honour to be examined by both the Grand Master and the Master of the Order, and he maintained his deep bow until they told him to take a seat on one of the round cushions that furnished the chamber of First Knowledge. He recited the Code when prompted, then bowed his head humbly once more and waited for them to tell him his assignment. He expected his instructions to be spelled out by Master Yoda – if nothing else for reasons of seniority – but it was Mace Windu who spoke first.

“Before we begin, youngling, there is a piece of news that we must deliver to you.” The Korun paused briefly, as if for effect, and Seyf thought he heard Master Yoda huff disapprovingly. “It appears that your friend Noora has taken a surprising and somewhat radical decision. Her future will be outside the Jedi Order. She is collecting her belongings as we speak and she will leave the temple within the hour, never to return.”

And with these few words, Seyf’s entire world collapsed. Noora was leaving, maybe she was already gone; and he suddenly understood that his fear hadn’t been that she would leave or be expelled from the Jedi Order. It was that she would leave him, abandon him to pursue an entirely different life that he would have no part in; that, given a choice between a future at his side among the ranks of the Jedi and a future without him in the wide world, she would choose to spend the rest of her existence on her own, thus wiping away the thirteen years during which they had grown, played, learned and laughed together, when they had cared for each other, supported each other and loved each other so deeply that he had come to think of them as a single soul in two bodies. Dread welled up in his chest at the thought that she wouldn’t be there when he woke up tomorrow, followed by fury, hatred and unspeakable pain. This could not be, this was impossible, and the two masters couldn’t let it happen. He looked up angrily and opened his mouth to protest, to lash out at his instructors for allowing Noora to take such a selfish decision, to –

It was the deep compassion he could see in Master Yoda’s gaze that brought him to his senses. The elderly, diminutive Jedi was staring at him impassively, but the sense of kindness and sympathy that emanated from him was unmistakable. It reminded Seyf that the Jedi Order was his family, that the Jedi path was bound to be fraught with difficulties and challenges, and that comfort, solace and relief could always be found in the Jedi Code. He took a deep, calming breath and closed his eyes, trying to find his centre.

There is no emotion, there is peace.

He had always been prone to letting his impetuous nature get the better of him. His first reaction upon hearing that Noora was leaving – he silenced the nagging voice that said, leaving him – was proof of it, if any proof was needed, and he had almost surrendered to the sentiments that would lead him to the dark side. He could not allow that to happen. With or without Noora, he was a Jedi. He summoned the mental image of her peaceful smile and focused on it. He would not fail his third trial before it even began.

There is no ignorance, there is knowledge.

Noora always wanted to learn more, whether under the guidance of her instructors or by exploring new possibilities on her own. He, on the other hand, had never opened his mind to life outside the temple. While he could not grasp the reasons for her decision, he chided himself that he had to accept it – and, with it, to accept that she knew something he did not. He had been willfully ignorant until now, and this was his punishment. He would have to work on improving himself to understand her, even if she was not there.

There is no passion, there is serenity.

He had allowed his bond with Noora to grow unchecked, and it had taken over his life to the point that, when the opportunity presented itself in a moment of grief, it expressed itself as a flare of all-consuming, angry ardour. This was not the Jedi way and Noora would despise him for it. She was always calm, composed and even-tempered, and even though she was choosing to leave the Order, she was a better Jedi than him.

There is no chaos, there is harmony.

He struggled hard to regain control over the turmoil of contradictory feelings in his heart and mind. He could not be at once angry and caring, agitated and placid, collected and resentful. He inhaled deeply again and set aside the dark thoughts that threatened to overwhelm him. Noora had brought balance to his life for all these years, and even in her departing act she could bring balance too. As agonising as it was, it was time for him to let go of his attachment to a single individual and dedicate himself to the greater good.

There is no death, there is the Force.

He would mourn Noora’s final departure from the Jedi Temple as if she had left this life – for all practical purposes, she was leaving his life – but Noora, like all living beings, was still an entity in the Force. Perhaps he would never see her again, but he could still reach out to her reassuring presence and listen to her unspoken advice. She was not truly gone, because she was still part of him, and when the day came they would fade in the Force together.

He didn’t know for how long he had remained silent as he sought to tame his first, impulsive reaction to the news that Mace Windu had delivered to him, and he realised that tears were running down his cheeks when he finally opened his eyes. The two masters were still staring at him quietly, waiting for his response. He remembered that he he had not been summoned to this room to talk about Noora, but to take his third trial and become a Jedi padawan. He composed himself as best he could, pushed back against the pain that was still tearing into his heart and spoke clearly and calmly.

“Thank you for informing me, Master. It is with the deepest regret that I will see Noora go, but I am certain that she received the best advice on this matter and that she chose her path wisely.”

Yoda blinked slowly, as he was wont to do when he was satisfied with a learner’s reply, and Mace Windu nodded once. Both stood up and walked to the door without another word.

“Masters?” Seyf said tentatively when he understood that they were leaving. “What about… what about my assignment? For my trial?”

Yoda rapped his gimer stick on the floor. “Your assignment, to deal with this news was. Successful, you have been.” Seyf’s eyes widened, and the elderly master looked away. “Your friend... still taking her trials she is. She has reached no decision yet.”

He took a few more steps and exited the chamber of First Knowledge before Seyf could register what he had just heard. “A test?” the boy finally managed to splutter with an angry undertone. “This was not real? It was just a test?”

Mace Windu turned to face him from the doorway. “Yes, Padawan, it was only a test, if this is how you think of your Initiate Trials. You still have much to learn.”

And with that, he spun on his heel and left. Seyf remained alone in the chamber, feeling so bitter, pained and confused that he didn’t even notice that the Korun had called him ‘padawan’.

------------------------------------

Notes and Wookieepedia links

The composition of the Jedi Initiate Trials (knowledge of the Jedi Code, lightsaber construction and strength of one’s connection to the Force) is borrowed from Legends.
    Cin Drallig
    Saesee Tiin
    Shaak Ti
    Jocasta Nu
    Tower of First Knowledge

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
  11. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    Geez, the angst is there. How much more can the poor girl take, particularly now that Anakin has shown up?

Chyntuck likes this.
  12. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Amazing!! =D=
    First you see the disconnect between Seyf and Noora because she is trying to detach from training and the Jedi Path while he is still committed.
    Yikes, that Palpatine is taking an interest in Seyf. :eek:
    I am glad there are aspects Noora still enjoys and that she finds confidantes to share her feelings and doubts with.
    I am not surprised that Qui-Gon was her chief and unfailing source of acceptance and sympathy.

The third trial -- Seyf came through it excellently! @};- But to find out it was not a true disclosure which I thought it was, I was absolutely floored! From Yoda's demeanor, I have no doubt it was Mace's idea. Of course he could not and would not be able to override Yoda's objections but still -- I hope that does not backfire.
    I.e., perhaps drive a wedge/alienate Seyf. [face_thinking]

Chyntuck likes this.
  13. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    Oh, this was a harsh test! It almost seemed calculated to push Seyf to anger and the Dark Side. And yet, it is important for him to realize that he needs to loosen up his attachment to her. Glad he passed it, but good grief, is MACE WINDU to be his new master?!! [face_hypnotized] This has ominous written all over it.

And Noora... I hate to say it, but it almost seems as if she'd be happier in the AgriCorps. She could grow things and nurture life without the pressures and responsibilites of being a Jedi Knight. It seems as if she is hanging in there for Seyf's sake.

No clue how this will work out. :(

14. Pandora

Pandora Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 13, 2005
    As I expected, Noora and Seyf's bond has continued and grown ever deeper along with them—despite Mace Windu’s also expected attempts to guide them away from each other. It isn’t a surprise that he finds their relationship to be concerning, given that it must be unusual amongst Jedi. Mace Windu has many admirable qualities, but he is foremost a dedicated “company man”: he doesn’t know how to think outside the box of the Jedi Code. He has the ability to sense the looming darkness that we (having the advantage of seeing the movie version) know is coming for the galaxy—but he cannot recognize the cause even when it’s right in front of him, for the sequins thrown in his eyes.

But while Noora and Seyf continue to complement each other—and working together, they showed a gift for leadership with the other initiates at the Ilum Jedi Temple—they are quite different, in talent and temperament, and those differences could lead to a more natural separation as they head down different paths.

Seyf-For-Sword is well on his way to being the master swordsman I suspected (and no, it isn’t just because of his name) he would become. He has skills that Master Windu appreciates, so it isn’t that much of a surprise that Windu would choose him as padawan—even if the circumstances were less than ideal, but I’ll address that later. Unfortunately, Palpatine has noticed both his skills, and his attachment to Noora, both of which would be useful to him in an apprentice. Seyf doesn’t ever seem to have been as vulnerable to the sort of flattery Palpatine uses as Anakin will be, and perhaps that is in large part because he has his bond with Noora to fill his emotional needs. Still and all, it was lucky for him that Anakin came along. Seyf isn’t ever going to compare to the prize of The Chosen One.

As for Noora—this is probably nigh unto blasphemy, but well, Mistress_Renata has already said as much, so: I think, and have for some time, that Noora would do better, and fit better, in the Agricorps, or one of the other service corps, or somewhere other than the traditional master-and-padawan pair traveling the galaxy on missions. She has her talents, but they are not the sort that have much worth in the Jedi worldview—and she does not excel at the flashier skills the Jedi do value. She not only doesn’t have the aptitude, she also lacks the interest—and I think this is the first time I have seen a Jedi character like this.

While she hasn’t taken the step of leaving the Jedi Order—and to be honest, based in part on the location of that recurring vision of hers, I do not think she will--she can see outside the box. She can know that path as a possibility. She has found a good, and much needed, confidant in Qui-Gon Jinn, who may well have considered that path himself at one point in his life. Despite their bond, Seyf can’t fill that role for her.

Then there’s that trial where Seyf’s deep connection of Noora is used, rather unfairly, against him—and while the Jedi way has muted his impetuous feelings somewhat, Seyf was pushed to his very limits; I think it was only that glimpse of compassion in Yoda’s eyes that stayed his outburst of very un-Jedi like feelings.

It’s interesting: oftentimes, Jedi children are portrayed as years ahead in maturity, emotional and otherwise, than children generally are, but in this scene, Seyf takes in the news he believes to be true in the most extreme manner. Noora is leaving the Temple forever. She can never come back. She will be all alone in that galaxy Seyf can’t even quite imagine. He will never see her again. She might as well be dead! It doesn’t seem to occur to him that they could, conceivably, you know, remain in contact—they do have comms/space mobiles/etc. But oh no, it doesn’t even occur to him--everything he knows has taught him it's not possible. So while his thought process may be due somewhat to adolescent strum un drang, I think it is also part of the limitations of the Jedi teachings.

(And that’s not even touching the part where they would allow a thirteen-year-old girl to go out into the galaxy without so much as lunch money—this is the same order, after all, who would send girls that age into battle as generals.)

Well, this reply has turned into an essay (775 words according to Microsoft, for which I can but apologize), so I will end here. I can see where these characters are now, but I’m looking forward to seeing where they shall go.

15. BookExogorth

BookExogorth Force Ghost star 4

May 4, 2017
    Overall

Wow, this is great! I love the atmosphere, you do a very good job depicting the jedi temple. The characters, canon or original, are alive. Noora is my favorite character. It’s also just a vivid and beautiful story so far.

Chapter 1

Interesting way to show their path before they’ve taken it. Yamma is very kind, and is good for her role. Noora is sweet.

Chapter 2

Good job with the teaching of the children. The scene here is very vivid. I checked the grass painting link on the Wook out, and it’s an interesting concept. You use it here beautifully. Of course Noora immediately senses the hurt and wants to help. And what Seyf says is endearing… endearing… definitely not at all troubling… endearing… Changing the subject, I like how tangible the force is to Noora. I’ve always thought that jedi artists should be a thing, the force leading them to see the beauty in things.

Chapter 3

Fantastic job with presenting two equally jedi-ish views on (young) attachments! Good description of friendship, too. Just as iron sharpens iron, and such. The vision! I don’t even know what to say about it; I’m sure you know what it means, but I only have vague ideas. I don’t think it was actually of the dark side, though I fear what it says about Noora, if it represents her sacrificing herself for someone. Noora is so serene. Interesting look into how beings perceive the force.

Chapter 4

So often, those padawans eager for sabers have already lost the right mindset, the one that can push the darkness out after pulling it in. During Pal’s visit, you illustrate their friendship beautifully in the way that each takes more satisfaction in the others’ praise. Palpatine is just a touch suspicious here, the perfect Senator Palpatine level.

Chapter 5

I love how you can show their characters in just about everything they do, especially when Noora, knowing where her crystal is, reaches out to the hurting one, wanting to let it be heard. (Side note: something about the way that was presented makes me think that that was her personal trial of spirit, especially when she fails. I know this is harsh, but perhaps Noora doesn’t have the strength to be a jedi, she instead has the strength to not be a jedi, but follow the force, but I digress.) I also wonder if she’ll sense the crystal in Anakin’s saber…

Chapter 6

Poor Noora! :_|

Honestly, Seyf’s trial seems very jedi-like. If the only reason he’s a jedi is another person, that’s not a strong enough commitment. He dealt with it so well, too (how much he’s grown), but then he hears that it was a test… I don’t know about him. Perhaps it was too soon for him to understand the reasoning for it.

You're a great writer! =D=
    (I hope that all made sense.)

16. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Time to get caught up again! Here goes...

5: Just as in the description of their preferred areas of study in chapter 4, Noora and Seyf's respective crystal quests show such a beautiful contrast between the two younglings, their personalities, and their guiding ethoses (ethoi?). Seyf forges ahead as quickly as he can to get to his, and when he comes across it his first reaction is to jump up and retrieve it immediately with the aid of some Force-assisted acrobatics—in defiance of Noora's advice (and it's to his credit, of course, that he realizes that, even if he does get a bit scraped up in the process). In Noora's quest, we see her empathic gift take on a whole new dimension: by way of the crystals, she seems able to bond empathically not only with beings around her in the here and now but also with beings of the future, whom she has never met. That of course takes on a decidedly prophetic character here as she comes across what we readers know to be Anakin's crystal—an awesome moment that feels like the culmination of all of Noora's abilities so far. You mentioned earlier on that Noora started out as an early version of Ayesha, and of course Ayesha too developed a close and unique empathic bond with Anakin/Vader; a similar kind of bond seems to be at work here with Noora, the future Anakin, and their "brother" crystals (cf. Harry's and Voldemort's "brother" wands).

Of course, this chapter also highlights an important thing that these two padawans do have in common: a deep desire to help and encourage their fellow students. I love the way they do just that at the beginning, answering their peers' questions, allaying their fears, and leading them in meditation.

When Noora returns and tells Qui-Gon what she experienced, my first reaction was like Seyf's: "Aw, Noora, don't give up—what a silly thing to do!" But knowing that Order 66 and generations of darkness and pain really are in the offing, leaving the Jedi Order might be a smarter thing for Noora to do than anyone thinks. [face_thinking] I will be curious to see which decision she will end up making.

6: One of the most intense chapters yet! Such a whirl of emotions here on both younglings' parts: Seyf's creeping fear that he and Noora might be drifting apart and going separate ways; Noora's discomfort at the overprotective vibe she's getting from Seyf; and her unease about developing a close bond with someone other than him (which in its way reveals her own fear about drifting apart). And this is more than just brand-X pre-adolescent friendship ups and downs, given the way these two have so far spent their whole lives so far as "one soul in two bodies." The stress of preparing for initiate trials on top of it all certainly doesn't help, but it's encouraging that they still have their shared meditation sessions at the Sacred Spire. I wonder if Noora's recurring vision, besides foretelling future events, is also kind of emblematic of what's to come for her friendship with Seyf: fire and hardship are ahead for them (in that they are going to have to work out their fears about separating from each other), but once those are past they will have nothing but peace (even if that peace comes in death, as it does in the "Barbriallen" song).

And Seyf's final trials... wow, what an absolute gutpunch. I can totally see where he would feel totally punched in the stomach after all that emotional buildup—and especially after all the effort he puts in to discipline his emotional reaction to the "fake news" (!) about Noora's departure. We see him come soooooo close to making the ultimate Jedi emotional breakthrough—really and truly rising above his irrational fears, setting aside his own feelings for the greater good, which of course is no easy thing for an impetuous soul like himself. But then, the moment he hears that it was all "just a test," we see it start crumbling down, and the old, hotheaded Seyf reemerges.Of course, I had an inkling at the start that this would all be "just a test," seeing as that kind of thing is par for the course for the Jedi Order of this period—and you hint as much when you write that "it was custom to take initiates outside and confront them with a real-life situation for this particular test." But there were good things that came out of Seyf's effort to discipline his feelings, and some true character growth—particularly the way he realizes the selfishness and possessiveness that have been underlying so many of his feelings about Noora—and I am now concerned that those things are going to be lost. As well as afraid of what Seyf might try to do now—keep your cool, Seyf, and remember: "no chaos, only harmony"! [face_nail_biting]

17. Mechalich

Mechalich Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2010
    Reviewing as part of the April 2021 WIP month in case anyone wonders at the long interval.

The concept of a pair of Jedi bonded through the Force is intriguing, as is that of an Initiate inclined to use the Force for art rather than paramilitary peacekeeping duties. The different path between the two characters and the threat it implies to their link is a good source of tension. The timing of this story also seems to work for it, since the Jedi Order's decline serves as a reason for them to try to keep Noora on the path towards knighthood rather than the seemingly obvious direction towards the Service Corps where it seems obvious she properly belongs - my impression would be Medical Corps, focused on psychological care.

18. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Thanks to the April 2021 WIP challenge I finally came back to this story, with a lot of blushing and apologies for abandoning it for so long. Here are a few replies before I post the next chapter.

@Nehru_Amidala A very belated thank you for your comment!

@WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Thanks so much for your kind words!
    This is one thing that Noora may not entirely realise. Because her bond with Seyf is so deep, and because her environment would overwhelmingly advise her to continue on the Jedi path, she doesn't see that she has a nice little support group – with Qui-Gon, of course, but also Nazmat Koch, Yamma Ummia and possibly Yoda himself. But the peer pressure is such that she not only feels alone, she actually makes herself to be alone.
    Oh, it was definitely Mace Windu's idea, because this is definitely something he would do, wouldn't it? But then, Yoda did go along with it – as several reviewers noted, this is absolutely par for the course for the Jedi Order of this period.

@Mistress_Renata Thank you :)
    Yeah, this is like the nightmare ultra-demanding teacher you had in school, isn't it? It's obviously a great honour and Seyf will like the fact that there'll be a lot of lightsaber work in his training, but frankly, if it were me, I'd rather not.
    Hehe. Seyf isn't the only one who has attachment issues to sort out here.

@Pandora Thank you so much for your extensive and thoughtful comments! As always there is quite a bit I can't answer without giving away the rest of the plot, but I'll do my best to answer at least some.
    This is definitely how I see him, which is the reason I chose to make him Seyf's master in this story. He is essentially putting Seyf in a position where he has to choose between his bond with Noora and the Jedi Order, without taking a moment to wonder if there is something more to the bond than old-fashioned attachment. Predictably, tragedy ensues. Which brings me to...
    Indeed, Palpatine will lose interest in Seyf now. However, even though Seyf has some similarities with Anakin (attachment to his birth family, attachment to Noora, fear of loss etc.), he also has a stronger ethos than Anakin to protect him from the dark side. I shudder to think of Anakin's reaction to a test like the one Seyf just passed.
    That is possibly the highest praise I have received on these boards. I am beet red by now and I'm very, very flattered. Thank you!
    My feeling from canon/Legends material, especially material from the prequel era, is that Jedi children aren't often enough depicted as children. Yes, their education would make them more composed than the average kid, but they would still have to be kids from time to time, with regular Force mishaps, Force-assisted tantrums and whatnot. (Also, I ultimately didn't write this scene, but I thought of having a bit of Mace Windu dealing with childish whims while he's the instructor of Briar Clan. It was waaay too comedic for this story, but I still like the idea.)

@BookExogorth Thank you so much for taking the time to read this story from the beginning and reviewing chapter by chapter! Again, there isn't much I can answer in detail here without giving away what happens next, so I'll focus on two points you raised.
    You might be on to something here. Hold that thought!
    Hehe. This is Anakin's second crystal we're talking about (the first one gets destroyed while they infiltrate the foundries on Geonosis), so it won't turn up for some time still. Again, hold that thought!

@Findswoman Thank you for the comprehensive review!
    Definitely ethoi :D
    There's so much to unpack in your analysis that I'm not entirely sure where to start and how much to say. I'm really happy and flattered that you picked up on the "one soul in two bodies" expression, because this is what the relationship between these two characters boils down to in my mind – and this in turn means that the bodies are superfluous, so this story will essentially end when they come to that realisation.
    Hehe. I would rather worry about what Noora may do now. *evil laugh*

@Mechalich Thank you for the review and welcome to this story!
    It could be – but I may manage to surprise you after all!

Thanks again to all readers, reviewers and lurkers! And without further ado, I give you chapter 7, only three-and-a-half years late.

Findswoman likes this.
  19. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    (Note: this chapter was written in response to the April 2021 WIP Challenge.)

Chapter 7: Hints and Dilemmas

Noora was not entirely sure if her second trial had gone well when she boarded the maglev that would take her back to the Jedi Temple. She had been tasked with mediating a conflict between Dugs and Gamorreans deep in the Underlevels of Coruscant in order to demonstrate her understanding of the Jedi Code, and, while she had resolved the situation peacefully, she felt that she’d failed to project the authority that was normally expected of a Jedi and that she had thus somehow diminished the standing of the Order. The fact that her examiner was Master Even Piell didn’t help any. The Lannik was noted for his dour manner and, even after spending several hours in his company, she still found him unreadable. He had remained still as a statue while she spoke with the alien community leaders, and he only expressed himself in monosyllables as they returned to the surface of the city-planet. He was definitely very, very intimidating.

Still, she told herself – she had done the right thing. The Dug and Gamorrean communities lived in such poverty, such squalor, such misery in those awful urban canyons where the light of the sun never reached… it was the least she could do to treat them with the respect that all sentient beings should be afforded. The Jedi Order had respect to spare – respect it might not entirely deserve when it wasn’t able to do anything for those that the Republic had left behind.

The diminutive Jedi Master led her to a double foldaway seat and settled at her side as the maglev gained speed. There was a brief silence. “Did you ever encounter beings of these species in the past, youngling?” he asked in his usual gruff tone.

Noora shook her head. “No, Master. Only what I read in the archives. I don’t believe I ever even saw a Dug or a Gamorrean in the Temple.”

He gave her an inquisitive look. “Indeed. How did you understand that the conflict revolved around their young? I didn’t sense you reaching out to read their minds.”

“I didn’t need to, Master. The central square of their neighbourhood is surrounded by shops that cater to infants and younglings. This told me how much they value their offspring. It was my starting point.”

There was another silence.

“Your instructors mentioned repeatedly that you have a particular talent for empathy,” Piell finally said. “I am surprised that you chose to not use this skill.”

“As I said, it wasn’t necessary, Master,” Noora answered a little defensively. “I don’t feel that I should be intruding in people’s minds when the answer is there right before me. I thought it more considerate to try and deal with them on an equal footing.” She hesitated. “Did I do wrong?”

To her great surprise, the Lannik gave her a warm smile. “On the contrary, you did well, youngling. You did very well. I truly hope that you will not surrender your principles, wherever your path leads you.”

The maglev was now reaching the Jedi Temple. He stood up and patted her shoulder. “Off to your next trial, child. Be certain that, with regard to your understanding of the Jedi Code, you will get full marks.”

Noora stood last in line outside the training room where she would be asked to assemble her lightsaber and demonstrate her duelling skills. This was her final trial and the one she had least been looking forward to. The mere fact of holding her crystal revived the memory of the harrowing experience in the Crystal Cave that had haunted her since her first visit to Ilum, and a small voice in the back of her mind kept repeating that what she had seen on that day and Master Qui-Gon’s death on Naboo were related, although she could not explain how. She tucked the small gem in a pocket of her robes and pushed her thoughts aside, trying to focus on the moment. Master Piell had said that she’d been successful at her second trial, and she knew for a fact that she had done well in the first. If she put up a decent performance of duelling she would be chosen as a padawan, and, if nothing else, she would remain close to Seyf. Perhaps in the future she could move away from Jedi peacekeeping duties to become a fosterer like Yamma Ummia or an instructor for the Temple’s younglings. Maybe she could even advocate to include more about the arts in the curriculum.

How she wished Seyf were there with her as she waited for her turn to come. But then, maybe not. She could imagine him rattling off to her a long list of tips about lightsaber use – keep your wrist straight but not rigid, make sure to plant your feet firmly on the ground, don’t engage in acrobatics unless you really have to. She smiled inwardly at the last one. This was something Seyf had actually learned from her, and now he was teaching it back. She wondered how his own trials were going. She was certain that demonstrating his skill with a blade had come easily, but she was curious to hear about the rest.

Now that she thought of it, her first trial had also been easy. Too easy, as a matter of fact. Her examiners were Master Yaddle and Master Windu, and she had expected the latter to throw the book at her. Instead, to her great surprise, the examination had been led by Master Yaddle while Mace Windu merely stood there as an observer. Even more surprising was the fact that she had been led to the rooftop gardens and essentially been asked to create a grass painting using the Force. In the heat of the moment, she had felt that Master Yaddle was demanding that she marshal every skill she’d ever mastered, and even a few on which she was still rather wobbly – but the fact remained that her examiner had chosen the most favourable possible setting for her to demonstrate the strength of her connection to the Force. Had she been tasked with repairing a speeder engine using the same set of skills, her performance would have been lackluster at best. On the Jedi Temple’s roof near her favourite eglant thicket, with Pooly the convor chirping happily at her, it had been a breeze.

And suddenly her heart sank. No doubt she had been assigned this exercise because her examiners didn’t deem her worthy or capable of doing more. Which was likely true, to be fair – but it meant that she hadn’t excelled at her first trial as she initially thought, and her future as a padawan of the Jedi Order was all but secure now that it hung on her lightsaber examination. Seyf would be so disappointed in her. He –

The door to the training room opened to reveal the face of Obi-Wan Kenobi. Noora knew that he had been promoted to Jedi Knight after his master’s passing, but she didn’t expect him to be her examiner today. “Hello there,” the young man said. “It’s your turn at long last. Let’s do this, shall we?”

For a moment Noora thought that her final trial would be a disaster. As soon as she began to focus on assembling her lightsaber parts, she was bombarded with memories from the Ilum Temple, interspersed with flashes of the apocalyptic vision she always experienced near the Sacred Spire. The onslaught of images was so intense that it caused her to shudder violently and crumple to the ground. When she came to her senses, she saw Obi-Wan Kenobi and Master Ki-Adi-Mundi, who had been waiting in the training room when she came in, staring at her with undisguised concern. “Are you feeling alright, youngling?” the Cerean master asked kindly.

“I’m fine, Master,” she mumbled. “I’m sorry. I sometimes have these visions and –”

Ki-Adi-Mundi patted her shoulder. “Nothing to apologise for. We both felt it. It takes many years of experience to be able to control such intense Force visions, and it is entirely understandable that they would be overwhelming in circumstances of heightened stress. Shall we postpone your trial until tomorrow?”

So he was offering her special treatment again, like the examiners at her first trial. Noora rose to her feet and steadied herself. “If it’s okay, Master, I’d rather try again now.”

Obi-Wan eyed her carefully. “Don’t gamble your trial on a matter of pride, Noora. This is not the Jedi way. It’s entirely acceptable to postpone one of the elements under exceptional circumstances, and having a Force vision in the middle of a trial definitely qualifies.”

She shook her head. “This isn’t about pride, Master. These are old visions we’re talking about; you were there the first time it happened. I’m normally able to handle them. I can do this.”

She recited the Jedi Code to herself and ran through Seyf’s list of duelling tips while the two Jedi conferred among themselves in hushed whispers, and she closed her eyes to focus on her lightsaber as soon as they nodded for her to begin. She felt the crystal, the segments of the handle and the components of the circuits rise into the air before her. At the same time, she saw herself once more on the Temple’s blazing rooftop, hiding in the eglant thicket, and the familiar whirl of bright green materialized, like it always did, to protect her from the flames. But she did not allow the vision to run its course. She held out her hand, her assembled lightsaber fell into her palm, and she ignited it and saluted.

Half an hour later, when the trial was over, Noora knew that she had done her best. Her duelling skills were admittedly limited, but she’d made a decent job of displaying them as Seyf’s silent voice advised her and the faint tune emitted by Obi-Wan’s lightsaber crystal hinted at his intent to attack or parry. If this had been a real, actual duel, she would have been trounced of course – but this was, in the end, merely a test to determine if she was ready to proceed to the next level of her Jedi training. It was now up to her examiners to decide if her future was with the Jedi Order or one of the Service Corps. She experienced a sense of relief at the idea that the decision was out of her hands.

Ki-Adi-Mundi looked at her approvingly. “Very well, very well. Thank you, youngling. I will leave your debriefing to Obi-Wan, as I am a sitting member of the Council of Reassignment which is due to assemble” – he glanced at the wall chronometer – “right about now regarding the initiates who took their trials yesterday. However, I will be meeting later with the rest of your examiners to compare notes; therefore, you will likely be hearing from me tonight.”

Obi-Wan gave Noora a bright smile as the Cerean left. “You did well, little one. You’ve come a long way from the day I met you back on Ilum when you were falling apart.”

Noora smiled back. “I did what I could, Master. I know for a fact that lightsaber skills aren’t my strongest suit.”

The young Jedi chortled. “No, they’re not. But you did well enough, and most importantly you displayed self-control and maturity. I’m sure that will earn you extra points.” He paused. “You also showed me why my master always spoke so highly of you.” Noora blushed intensely. “You know that he held you in very high esteem, don’t you?”

“I don’t know,” she mumbled. “I just thought he was being nice.” Tears had welled up in her eyes at the mention of the deceased master who had befriended her, and she could sense that Obi-Wan Kenobi was fighting back his own sense of loss.

“He was indeed being nice. But he also thought that you’re very special. You let the Force guide you, but you don’t choose the easy road. You’re a loyal, valued initiate of the Jedi Order, but you remain your own person through and through.” He hesitated. “There is something I should tell you, Noora – something about which I have my doubts, but I know that it was my master’s intention to give you this advice today. You came this far, you took your trials, and you are at this crucial juncture of your life. Now the Jedi Council will decide upon your future. But the decision they will take is not necessarily who you are.” Noora looked at him in astonishment. He chortled again. “I am not Qui-Gon, Noora. I am not one to go against the Council. I am only telling you this because you may not be the most powerful Jedi, but my master was convinced that you are different from the rest of us. Do you understand?”

There was a silence. “Not really,” she said timidly. “But I’ll give it some thought.”

“Good. I have to go, my padawan is waiting for me. If you need to talk, come to my quarters whenever you want. I can’t replace Qui-Gon, but I’m here for you.”

He spun on his heel and walked to the door, leaving Noora alone in the training room. She found solace in the idea that she had a new friend, but she was also utterly confused – because, in truth, she had absolutely no idea what Qui-Gon Jinn had meant to tell her.

------------------------------------------

Notes and Wookieepedia links

Even Piell
    Yaddle
    Ki-Adi-Mundi
    Council of Reassignment

Last edited: May 9, 2021
  20. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Superb update. Noora definitely doesn't take the easy lazy way ... uses empathy when needed but also uses common sense and people-observation skills. Love the interchange with Obi-Wan who is warm and candid as always, giving her much to think about in the process.

Findswoman and Chyntuck like this.
  21. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Thank you for the review! One element I wanted to include in Noora's personality for this story is that she would be questioning the appropriateness of acting like a Jedi and using her Force skills when dealing with people who are not Force-sensitive. I often felt that this is something Jedi as presented in canon don't question at all; their attitude is more often than not "the Force underlies all my interactions with others" which, you know, is kind of unfair when the others don't have it. Qui-Gon understood that, but the rest of the Jedi Council and Order, not so much...

Thanks to the readers and lurkers out there. And yes, there's a new chapter today!

22. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Thanks to @Findswoman for beta-reading this chapter and assuaging my Mace Windu characterisation worries :)

Chapter 8: The Council

The glowpanels of the High Council Chamber came on when Coruscant’s sun finally sank under the horizon. Yoland Fee studiously ignored the tension in the air as his turn to speak came. The meeting had already been going on for hours and he was hoping fervently that his intervention would bring this discussion to a close. “As this Council knows, I have not taken a padawan in many years. However, Noora has all the qualities I seek in a learner, as well as a talent for the arts that has been missing from our ranks for decades, if not centuries. It will be an honour and a pleasure to have her as my padawan.”

“You are content with little,” Mace Windu muttered under his breath. “The girl’s skills are mediocre at best.”

Even Piell sighed in exasperation. “The point is moot, Master Windu. The youngling passed her trials with flying colours.”

“She passed her trials because we made it so. Her first trial was specifically tailored to her preferences and interests.”

“Tailored to the needs of the master gardener,” Yoland Fee corrected. “Which you were consulted about and agreed to, given her obvious lack of interest in the more traditional areas of our duties.”

“That may be so, but it was still the easiest challenge we could have presented her with.”

“Phrased this objection earlier, you should have,” Yaddle countered. “Not after the youngling has completed the trial successfully.”

“And her second trial was an all-new experience to her,” Even Piell added. “She has hardly ever left the Temple and she’d never even seen a Dug or a Gamorrean up close until today.”

Mace Windu was clearly losing patience. “So she claims.”

The Lannik master’s good eye narrowed. “Are you implying that I would not have sensed it had she been lying, Master Windu? Perhaps you would like me to take my own trials anew?”

The Korun looked around him at the Council members, most of whom were doing little to hide that they felt he was skirting on the edge of outright rudeness. “I merely wish to remind the Council that this youngling’s presence in the Temple is problematic at best. She has an unhealthy bond to one of our most gifted learners, constantly disrupting his concentration, and there is an undeniable darkness to her.”

“That only you can sense, apparently,” Yoland Fee interjected.

“Master Ki-Adi-Mundi told us moments ago that both he and Obi-Wan experienced the full intensity of her vision.”

The Cerean intervened. “We did. But her vision is not who she is. Master Sifo-Dyas was haunted by dark visions. This Council disagreed rather adamantly with his conclusions, but no one ever accused him of straying from the light.”

“Master Sifo-Dyas went missing months ago and we haven’t been able to locate him despite our best efforts. Perhaps it is time to revise our assessment.”

Even Piell opened his mouth to let out a scathing retort when the door to the Council room slid open. A Temple Guard stepped in. “With apologies for the interruption, Masters,” the masked man said. “Initiate Noora Foteeou is outside. She insists that she must address the Council at your earliest convenience.”

“The youngling will wait, as is expected of all her peers on this day,” Mace Windu said harshly. “The Council will announce its decision in due time.”

Yoda rapped his gimer stick on the floor. “Not to enquire about our decision, Noora wishes,” the elderly master said slowly. “She came to inform us of her own.”

Noora had been certain that she was doing the right thing until she crossed the circular chamber’s threshold. Once she found herself facing a plenary session of the Jedi Council, she wondered what she had been thinking. She suddenly felt very small indeed, surrounded as she was by the wisest, most experienced, most powerful Jedi in the galaxy, and she chided herself for not trusting their judgement. It was only Master Yoland’s presence and his kind smile that convinced her not to turn tail and run. She walked to the centre of the room to face the Grand Master and the Master of the Order, bowed deeply and waited for permission to speak.

“Something to tell us you have, youngling,” Yoda asked.

She braced herself. “I do, Master. As you know I took my padawan trials today. After I completed my final task” – she nodded politely towards Ki-Adi-Mundi – “I remained in the training room to meditate on my achievements for far, my perspectives for the future, and a piece of advice Master Qui-Gon gave me.”

Mace Windu snorted. “Do you mean to say that he reached out to you from beyond the grave?”

His barely disguised hostility threw her a little off-balance, but there was no going back now. “In a manner of speaking, yes, Master. The advice was transmitted to me by his former padawan, who knew that it was his intention to give it to me on this day.”

“And you believe this to be the case?”

“I have no reason whatsoever to doubt Master Obi-Wan,” Noora answered serenely. “Besides, it sounded very much like something Master Qui-Gon would say.”

Yoland Fee chuckled. “Qui-Gon was quite generous with his time with Noora,” he explained. “I found them more than once having long conversations about the Living Force in the gardens. She would definitely recognise a piece of his advice – not that any particular talent is required for that from anyone who met him, if only once.”

Mace Windu sat back in his chair. “Let’s hear it then.”

“His advice was: ‘The Council’s decision about your future is not necessarily who you are,’” Noora said. “It led me to reflect on my life in the Temple, everything I learned thanks to you, Master Windu, and to all my instructors, everything I failed to learn due to my own shortcomings, the reasons that led me to be successful, or to fail, or to redouble my efforts, or to give up on a skill or task, and…” – she took a deep breath – “I thought long and hard about who I truly am. I do not have a proper answer yet, but I do know that I am no Jedi.”

There was a stunned silence. “Your instructors and examiners – well, most of us at least – firmly believe that you have all the qualities of a Jedi,” Yoland Fee spluttered. “I was intending to take you as my padawan.”

Noora’s face glowed with affection. She loved the gruff old gardener like a father, and now that she had taken the momentous step of addressing the Council, there was no reason she should be moderating the expression of her feelings, even if he couldn’t reciprocate them. “Thank you, Master Yoland. I am grateful, I truly am, and I am humbled by your trust. I have learned so much from you already. I am certain that I would learn much more under your guidance, and that you would make me a better person. However, my path lies elsewhere. I may be competent enough to be your padawan, but a Jedi is not who I am.”

There was another silence, one that grew so heavy that Noora felt the need to explain herself further. “I believe that it has been clear to my instructors – to Master Windu in particular, but I realise, as I think back, that this was an open secret – that I was plagued with doubts for many years. They disrupted my learning, but also the education of my clan-mates. Master Windu often had to interrupt a lesson to call me to task on simple skills such as levitation – all skills that I used seamlessly when I was working on my art projects with Master Nazmat. I told myself that becoming a Jedi was a noble goal, but I would not admit that my heart wasn’t in it. I… I hung in there for fear of disappointing my instructors, for fear of facing the world, and most importantly for fear of being separated from my dear, dear friend Seyf, whom I love more than anyone in this galaxy. This is not the Jedi way. As I said, I am no Jedi.”

“Letting go of fears and attachments, the Jedi way is, youngling,” Yoda rasped. “This, you have achieved today. Perhaps the purpose of your trials, it was.”

Noora gave him an impish grin. “I have no doubt that you actually designed my trials to help me come to this realisation, Master.”

The sense of unspoken understanding between the elderly alien and the teenager was such that it became obvious to all that the conversation was over. “Very well,” Mace Windu said with newfound respect in his voice. “Under the circumstances, it’s only fair that you be given a choice, youngling. Did you decide which branch of the Service Corps you would like to be assigned to?”

The girl shook her head. “You misunderstand me, Master. I do not belong in the Service Corps any more than I belong in the Jedi Order. I commed Master Nazmat before I came to you. She will help me secure a scholarship to the Galactic Academy of Fine Arts.”

------------------------------

Wookieepedia links:
    Sifo-Dyas
    Jedi Temple Guard

Last edited: Jun 20, 2021
  23. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Superb clarity and eloquence and poise from Noora. I adore the firm stance of those Council members who were in her corner. I know it was a hard decision to make and doubtless even harder to muster up courage to communicate.

I'm glad Mace's respect was earned at any rate rather than a smug I told you so, :p and that Noora is on her true path. [face_thinking]

Chyntuck and Findswoman like this.
  24. Pandora

Pandora Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 13, 2005
    And now it's on to Noora's trials.

Noora's lightsaber skills might be weak, but it's clear that she has other talents that would have made her a good Jedi if she had chosen to continue on that path. And yes, given how she does in her second trail with the Dugs and Gamorreans, I think she would have actually done well in the traditional master-and-padawan diplomatic pair--especially because she meets them fairly, and with respect, and doesn't take advantage of (or make easy use of) those skills she has due to her Force sensitivity when treating with people who don't have them. This just seems like common sense to her--why should she read their minds when she can figure out the situation just by observation, and you know, talking to them--but I gather it isn't common with the Jedi, though it certainly should be.

But she makes another choice. She is only thirteen years old, but she knows--and she didn't figure out anything during her meditation in the training room that she didn't already unconsciously know--who she is, and who she isn't. The Jedi Order, with its rigid definitions of what a proper Jedi is, is not going to change for her. If she stayed, she would have had to become someone she's not, and eventually, almost inevitably, neglect her artistic talent (and I suspect that there has to have been other Jedi with artistic talents in the past decades and centuries, who never found a mentor like Master Nazmat, and never had the chance to develop those talents). She chooses to leave. Not only that, she has a plan for where to go next, and she will not be all alone in the universe.

I do think she would have still done all right in the service corps, but I suppose Noora had a little bit of adolescent all-or-nothing type thinking there. After all, she is thirteen years old.

(As an aside, I was most struck by this bit in the council chamber scene: Noora’s face glowed with affection. She loved the gruff old gardener like a father, and now that she had taken the momentous step of addressing the Council, there was no reason she should be moderating the expression of her feelings, even if he couldn’t reciprocate them. It says so much about how stagnant the Order has become that Yoland Fee--who seems to be one of their kindest members--not only does not love Noora as a daughter, he cannot do so. It says so much about Noora that she has broken free of this mindset and can love him, without it being the unhealthy attachment the Jedi so fear.)

Which now leads back to Seyf. When I wrote about his third trial in my previous comment, I mainly focused on his dramatic emotional reaction. (She's gone forever! She might as well be dead!) But he wouldn't have been so upset--and this situation wouldn't have been used for his trial--if he hadn't believed it. And he does believe it, because, while it goes against the limits of his worldview in ways he can't handle or really think about, he is well aware that Noora has been indifferent to her formal training. He's even angry at her over it.

As I suspected, with their vastly different interests and temperaments, they have already begun to naturally drift apart. She has her art, an interest Seyf does not share with her, and she has other connections in her life (Master Nazmat, Yoland Fee, Qui-Gon, and even Master Yoda, of all beings) besides him. But as far as I can tell, while Seyf has the sort of personality, and the prized saber skills, that should make it easy for him to make friends, he only has her.

So what is going to happen when Seyf finds out that she is leaving the Jedi--and this time, it's not a test. I suppose it will depend in part on who tells him (ideally, it would be Noora herself, but that might not be possible) and how much information he is given, but even with the best case scenario, he is not going to take this news well.

And of course there's still the looming issue of Noora's recurring Force visions. She may leave the Jedi, but the Force will still be with her, and so I'm guessing her visions will continue. Otherwise, I won't attempt to guess at what will happen next--other than that, given this is a tragedy, the ending, whatever it is, will be sad.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2021
  25. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    First of all, I have to apologize profusely for not keeping caught up on this story! But I’m so glad it was one of the things you chose to work on this WIP Month, as that offered the perfect opportunity to reconnect with it.

Noora is moving toward a real watershed moment in these chapters as she completes her trials and makes her own final decision about her path. The conflict she feels about the nature of her trials is very understandable and highlights a double-edged sword in the approach the Jedi have been taking toward her: yes, everything was well tailored to her and her abilities, but she picks up on the other side of that as well: the “special treatment” side. I can see where that would be discouraging. I can also understand the feeling of wanting to hang on and Not Disappoint for someone as sympathetic and as empathetic as Noora; part of that sympathy and empathy is a very close attention to what others think of one, for better or for worse. Though the other side of this coin is that, as Fee says, she really does have a lot of the qualities that make a good Jedi: the sympathy and empathy, the compassion, the ability to not be ruled by her attachments, which is perhaps the hardest one of all. And I too am very curious to see what will happen when Seyf finds out about her decision to leave the order, as I’m guessing he will in the next chapter: I could see the pudu very much hitting the fan, though maybe he’ll surprise us and learn something important from it all himself. The Barbara Allen moment seems to be right around the corner here! (And that song of course begins with describing how lovesick Jemmy Grove, spelled variously, is for Barbara—he’s the one suffering out of love for her, more than the other way around, and this story’s Barbara has very much overcome her attachment.) Can’t wait to see how this will wrap up; you’ve done a great job both creating a very unique brand of Force-sensitivity and staying true to the song! =D=