main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The "Tales from..." anthologies

Discussion in 'Literature' started by jwj442, Jun 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jwj442

jwj442 Jedi Master

Jun 1, 2005
    Which of them, if any, are good?

2. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    They are of mixed quality, which is to be expected of anthologies.

3. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    Depends on what your favorite scene is, between the three of them.

Personally, I like Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina the most.

4. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    They're all good but like said before, it's variable quality on the stories as with all anthologies.

5. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    Hey, ReaperFett, good to see your still with us. Was wondering about a couple months ago when I hadn't seen you post for a while if you'd left or what. Maybe you were still posting and I just didn't pay enough attention or check out the threads you posted in.

Ok, on the subject at hand you've got to remember that your dealing with short stories done by various authors. This doesn't mean that just because author X is not author Y that their stories are going to naturally be better or worse than Y, it means that each is going to do their story the way they feel is best to tell it. We may find that we wish they had done it a different way or that we like how they did it.

6. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    Hey, ReaperFett, good to see your still with us. Was wondering about a couple months ago when I hadn't seen you post for a while if you'd left or what. Maybe you were still posting and I just didn't pay enough attention or check out the threads you posted in.

Pretty much stopped posting. Haven't read a novel since TUF and was avoiding all things ROTS related, so stopped coming :)

7. Knight_Aragorn

Knight_Aragorn Jedi Master star 4

Jun 15, 2003
    It depends which era you prefer to read in, and which characters you like. I read like the three that I read (...Empire, ...New Republic and Tales from Jabba's Palace), but I skipped over the stories that didn't appeal to me. That's the beauty of anthologies. ;)

8. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    Empire: cheesy, chummy Star Warsy stoies, like Rebellious elements fighting a tyrannical empire . . . sheesh. Some good notables, as well as Side Trip sans its two major typos.

New Rep: generally bland, cliche, and Darknell integrated all those well.

Mos Eisely: the best of them, nearly all stories leading into each other, recommended.

Bounty Hunters: some good, some plain, but the last sentence never ended!

Jabba's Palace: bookwide immaturity!

(Was what Ree-Yees' emergency culinary resuscitation supposed to be funny?)

9. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    Well, I hope we see more of you in the future ReaperFett. We didn't always agree, in fact I think we were on opposing sides 80-90% of the time, but I did respect you. Especially as someone who tended to do pretty decent posts.

10. Zanretsu

Zanretsu Jedi Youngling

May 12, 2005
    I have read Tales of the Bounty Hunters and Tales from Jabba's Palace. Both were superb, but I liked Bounty Hunters better. Jabba's palace was alright I suppose. I look forward to reading the rest. (somewhat new to the EU)

11. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The best thing about them is it really fleshes out the universe of the original films, that add a certain level of depth that would otherwise be lacking- everyone's got a story, afterall. Especially in SW ::)

A real shame they won't do any for the prequels- they really need it. "Tales From The Podrace Arena" & "Tales from the Outlander Nightclub" would be welcomed. Not sure what they could dof ro ROTS though- maybe a "Tales of the Confederacy" or something...though I suppose, despite the boring title, "Tales From the Galactic Senate" would be more interesting.

12. ithorian-guy

ithorian-guy Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 25, 2005
    I liked them because most of the stories had to do with peripheral characters who were diffrent in each story.

13. crestfallen

crestfallen Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 12, 2003
    I enjoyed Mos Eisley and Jabba's Palace a lot. Couple of the stories in the Bounty Hunter's were really good.

14. Rivercat0338

Rivercat0338 Jedi Youngling

Jun 8, 2005
    I read a summary of the Boba Fett story in TotBH somewhere and it seemes to conflict with his history as we now know it from the films. Is that true? That book sat on my shelf for years and when I finally decided to read it someone had just given it away.

15. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    No, the Fett story doesn't cover the same years as AotC. It's much later.

16. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    I still want a Tales of the Fleet

Best stories in Empire are Side Trip and Retreat from Coruscant

17. JANGOANTILLES

JANGOANTILLES Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 18, 2005
    Tales from Jabba's Palace is one my favorite books ever. You have to read all the stories to get the complete picture of what was really going on. Jabba was a dead man three times over when Leia killed him. You'll never look the same way again at characters like Ephant Mon or the Rancor Keeper. By turns funny, sad, touching, and even horrifying (Fett's tale) you learn quite a bit more than you would have thought at first glance. Almost like the show Lost, actually. Highly recommended.

Catina sucks though, the stories stand on their own and aren't that intresting.

18. EmperorSorridom

EmperorSorridom Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 2, 2005
    I thought most of Cantina and Jabba's Palace was good. I'd definately like to see more of them; they offer backrounds to some of the lesser known characters.

(Was what Ree-Yees' emergency culinary resuscitation supposed to be funny?)

Actually it was "resus-susperation". :p

19. Sebulba_Wins

Sebulba_Wins Jedi Youngling

Jun 16, 2005
    I might buy 3 copies of this book if it was ever released. I wish they'd make some podracing books and at least one podracing movie.

In conclusion the Tales of ... are some of the best books in the EU in my opinion.

20. Tyrantus

Tyrantus Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 10, 2004
    Agreed. I love those Tales books. Particulary Bounty Hunters and Jabba's Palace. I love the bounty hunters, and the Tales for it was an awesome read. Jabba's Palace was interesting, because you got to see what really went on there, behind the scenes. The treachery, lies, deception, blackmail, plots, sex, betrayals and death all reminded me of the seedy underworld crime bosses sit through today. The2ndQuest's ideas were brilliant, as I'd love to see Tales of the Podracers and Tales from the Outlander. You definetely have a lot of material and characters to work with there. Even the Senate could be a good one, although they'd probably be about the corrupt senators.

21. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

I realised that, EmperorSorridom. :p

That Fett one was very good. Read it today.

22. Slash78

Slash78 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2004
    Tales from the Empire and New Republic are made up of stories from the WEG RPG adventure guides (or action journels or whatever they called them). Yeah, the quality varies, however I would like to see many, many more "Tales from.." books.

23. Kudzu

Kudzu Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 18, 2005
    Now we need a "Tales from the Podracing Circuit", "Tales from the Old Republic", "Tales from the Clone Wars", and "Tales from the Yuuzhan Vong War" to make us greedy fans happy. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.