main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Tales of Alvin Maker

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by Obi-Zahn Kenobi, Jan 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    I hope that someone other than me has read the tales of Alvin Maker by Orson Scott Card.

For those who haven't, it's the tale of Alvin, a boy growing up in early 19th Century America, and his journey to manhood. It's a fantasy where everyone in America has special abilities that allow them to do things like see where other people are, stick wood together, light fires from a distance, and things like that. Because of this, many historical figures are changed and many historical situations. The United States is smaller and the North American continent is owned by Indians all the way to Ohio. The rest of the continent is split between the French who own Canada, and four independent countries consisting of the United States, New England, the Crown Colonies, and Appalachee.

It's really well developed and the political situations is fascinating. The character development is awesome and I absolutely love these books. The first book is titled Seventh Son so go out and pick it up. It's my least favorite of the series because the books only get better as he continues to write them.

The only problem is that it roughly parallels the life of Joseph Smith Junior. :p

2. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

I haven't read that short story in Legends 2 yet. It has no interest for me. Is that the one where a woman marries two men on different eras of a time corridor? Perhaps it was bigmay then that put me off.

3. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    I read all the books and found them reasonably entertaining, although not really anything I'd want to reread, i think.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.