main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Tea Debating Thread

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Sinrebirth , Feb 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I bought some white tea today and was shocked at how expensive it was. It's not like they come in large boxes either, one brand was nearly £2 for 16 tea bags! I got Clipper white tea which was £1.44 for 25 teabags. It had better be good! [face_frustrated]

Edit: after trying it I can definitely say that it is gosh darn awesome! [face_love]

2. Sheikh_Yerbouti

Sheikh_Yerbouti Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 3, 2009
    I've forgotten how to make tea, partly due to involvement in a research project into observer effects on thermodynamics. Three of us have been watching a kettle round the clock for the past 14 months and we're beginning to think the expression may be true. We have come to rely heavily on the coffee machine.

To make coffee: lightly warm a little milk. Grind (Burr grinder), dose and tamp the (arabica bean) coffee (enough for two shots) and let the espresso machine work it's magic (using a small or 'short' pre-warmed cup). Froth the milk with the steam wand, and carefully pour some milk over the espresso.

3. chrisfree

chrisfree Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 28, 2006
    I'm Hungarian and in Hungary we make a relatively weak tea with some lemon squeezed in.

A few years ago I used to drink tea the English way but that only appeals to me when drunk along buttered toast, spread with mayo and smoked salmon slices on top. Perfect for breakfast.

What do you guys think of the hotness of the water?

I just visited my friend in Hungary and wanted to make some tea. So she gave me a mug, I boiled the water, put the teabag in the mug, poured the hot water in it... and lo! the mug split into two. I was then given a lecture that proper tea is made by boiling the water and then cooling it down to 'proper' temperature. Whatever they meant by 'proper'. [face_thinking]

4. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    This is why teapots should be used.

5. chrisfree

chrisfree Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 28, 2006
    Teapots are for many people. And my green tea of course.

6. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    There is nothing wrong with individual pots.

The teabag in the cup method is for uncivilised people, and such people have no business drinking tea, being British, or posting here. [face_not_talking]

7. Sheikh_Yerbouti

Sheikh_Yerbouti Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 3, 2009
    Reminds me of a guy who used to spend a lot of time in a bookshop in Cambridge. He would talk - to anyone who would listen - about how he spent the bulk of his spare time lobbying for a Beard Law, under which men would be obliged to grow beards. It contained pages of stipulations about what does and does not legally qualify as such. I wish I'd kept the copy he gave me but I do remember, as an example, that a handlebar moustache of a particular style would qualify, while any kind of gautee would not.

It also had a clause requiring women to wear bonnets.

Anyhoo, back to tea, I can gather the Japanese would consider us all barbarians for the way we make a cuppa, pot or no pot.

8. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    And students. I can't afford a tea pot and they're not easy to clean. :(

I am, however, going to get this delightful teapot as soon as I can.

9. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    If you have no teapot, your ONLY option is to not drink tea.

10. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    But I'm addicted, ADDICTED!! :_|

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.