main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Technical Side of TFA

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by AndrewPascoe, Jan 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. obi-arin-kenobi

obi-arin-kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    guittarjedi likes this.
  2. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002

As did I, or at least with the use of a pneumatic pump or something.

3. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015

thanks for trolling the thread with mindless bashing combined with irrelevant nonsense

4. Evetssteve10

Evetssteve10 Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 21, 2015

One of JJ Abrams most endearing traits as a director is letting the scene play instead of inserting multiple cuts so I don't think he has any idea what he's talking about.

5. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    I just want to say, right off the bat, that I think the Maul/Ben/Qui-gon duel is one of the better duels...

...that said, this is pretty funny!

6. obi-arin-kenobi

Jun 10, 2005
    It isn't nonsense. All these modern films lack any real knowledge of color theory, instead they opt for a Photoshop like effect over the entire image in an attempt to make it a consistent image.

The editing has no structure or rhythm, which is why the pacing has issues. This plays a hand as to why the Han and Kylo scene holds very little weight. At some point things needed to slow down in order to give the viewer a sense of importance relating to these two characters.

***it is almost as if the film was altered to make it appear like it came from a different era--late 70s/early 80s.

7. Darth__Lobot

Dec 29, 2015

LOL, that scene was fantastic and the cinematography was wonderful.

8. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    This was JJ's least "filtered" film to date. Are you sure you weren't watching a different film?

Also, how about this filter?

[​IMG]

Or this:

[​IMG]

You can't seriously argue that TFA looks artificial, while propping up the PT as the height of the natural. TFA was far, far more naturalistically lit than AOTC and ROTS (I think TPM was generally good in that regard).

SkooterNB, Strongbow and Darth__Lobot like this.
  9. dan1210

dan1210 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 27, 2015
    sorry dude, this is nonsense, watch the film again.

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  10. obi-arin-kenobi

Jun 10, 2005
    The prequels trilogy didn't have much over the image. I don't think you understand. There's a color grading process and modern cinema in general alters sooooo much in post. I'm referring to the crushed blacks and just the after effect laid over the image in The Force Awakens.

Pixar is 100% digital, but it is what it is. The lighting is what's rendered over the years. There isn't much in the way of completely overlaying the image with some kind of filter. I cannot possibly be the only one that sees this. Marvel, DC, Star Trek....they've all got it.

11. Darth__Lobot

Dec 29, 2015

Yep, it's just you

12. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    Can we get back to discussing TFA again? O:)

13. obi-arin-kenobi

Jun 10, 2005
    I would not be surprised if I was in the minority considering what types of films sell these days, but fact of the matter is it exists.

Leaves a bad taste in my mouth when filmmakers and producers claim one thing and the reality is so much different.

http://www.slashfilm.com/force-awakens-visual-effects/

guittarjedi likes this.
  14. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    I know precisely what you are talking about, and am arguing that TFA is simply not as guilty of it as you claim (except for in places that are harshly lit in-universe, like the stormtrooper transport and some hallways in the SD). There were far more blanket filters in the PT. Including the crushed blacks you talk about. AOTC and ROTS absolutely destroyed shadows and blacks with either its airbrush filters, over-done flood lights, or over-done digital lights.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

VS

[​IMG]

In many cases, particularly on Jakku, Kanata's and Starkiller, one got the sense that JJ used no filters at all, and a pretty minimal color grade.

In short, TFA looked nothing like JJ's Star Trek films.

15. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    [​IMG]

(That said, I loved the lens flares. :D )

16. Ghost Ryder

Ghost Ryder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    Something that occurred to me after a second viewing is that Rey's journey gets a very sensory/atmospheric treatment, and I think it's part of what gives the film so much repeat value.
    • Her introductory sequence
    • Seeing "so much green" for the first time
    • The beautifully eerie build-up to the Force vision (this in particular stood out the second time)
    • The moments when she's alone in the woods right before Kylo appears
    • Tapping into the Force during the duel
    • The ending scene
    And in all of that she has two lines.=D=

Speaking of the vision, I also caught the cleverly-edited line from Alec Guinness, thanks to rewatching ANH.

17. Tommy-wan

Tommy-wan Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 15, 2015

Another BTS video. There was A LOT of CGI used here, but it looks stunningly great.

18. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Force Ghost star 4

May 8, 2002
    [quote="Tommy-wan, post: 53164030, member: 1408917]

Another BTS video. There was A LOT of CGI used here, but it looks stunningly great.[/quote]

Love this stuff, thanks! So Maz is as tall as Lupita kneeling :) awesome they just captured her on set.

19. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
  20. Colm

Colm Jedi Master star 2

May 19, 2005
    Wow, that vid gives a hint at the phenomenal amount of work that has gone into the movie. I've taken a lot of it for granted.

21. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    I don't know what "natural" is.

JJ doesn't go for natural as you can see in the difference between the shots of the actual live filming and the finished product.

So what?

Directors do what they want for the movie.

TFA looked far more like the PT than the OT which is natural enough as they are all digital movies.

Tommy-wan likes this.
  22. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    No, the "lighting" in most of TFA (both outdoor and indoor) looks far more like the OT than the PT, IMO.

From an artistic perspective, TFA simply has a more naturalistic look than the PT. Except for TPM, which I think was well lit.

The question is simple: Does it look very digital? Both in terms of lighting and rendering? If so, it's less natural than it could be. Due to a combination of a different cinematographic style, and an emphasis on natural and in-camera light, that's what we got.

23. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    The escape from Jakku, in terms of lighting, is maybe my favourite SW sequence, perhaps only matched by the asteroid chase in ESB. The use of natural lighting with Daisy in the cockpit really blends everything together.

24. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    I agree on it matching the asteroid field sequence.

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  25. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.