main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Ten Commandments Situation in Alabama - What do you think?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Singularity, Aug 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    So are we loking at just drawing up a new bulk topic thread? I suppose that makes sense, since that seems to ultimately happen in any conversation about Church and State.

That was the general idea. By locking both discussion, we can start a new one and let it be directed wherever the current winds of discussion direct it.

Kimball Kinnison

2. Singularity

Singularity Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 21, 2002
    I disagree with locking this thread. The thread has good content on both sides and the issues discussed and points made transcend the monument issue in Alabama.

3. Kimball_Kinnison

Oct 28, 2001
    The thread has good content on both sides and the issues discussed and points made transcend the monument issue in Alabama.

Those issues have also been discussed in other threads on similar issues, at some points causing people to be making similar (or even identical) posts in several threads. All that the proposal would cover is consolidating those threads down into one thread to cover the entire issue.

It would not be done to stifle any discussion, but to provide additional aspects that might otherwise be seperated into other, yet similar, threads.

Kimball Kinnison

4. Cheveyo

Cheveyo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2001
    You know, as a mod, you COULD just go in and retitle this thread. ;) That would solve both issues.

5. TreeCave

TreeCave Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 2001
    Yeah, re-titling has been done before.

6. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    "Is your faith in God so weak that you need the government to validate it for you?"

"Is your animosity toward it so great that a mere glimpse fills you with rage? :p "

If you followed my post history, you'd see that animosity towards faith in God is the farthest thing from my mind. I'm not expecting you to follow my post history, so I won't hold that against you.

A brief summation: I'm not your "every Sunday" type of guy, because my experience with God has been more personal, and not confined to a church. Do not attempt to cast me as someone who feels animosity towards faith in God. Ever.

The query that I use again & again is something I paraphrased from my stepfather, a Methodist minister. On the topic of the Ten Commandments in the courts, and prayer in school, his response is something along the lines of "Why don't you pray at home, or in church? There's no law on this Earth that can stop you from calling on God's help. Why do you need Man's law to say this is OK?"

Personally, I find it preposterous that some people attempt to construe an attempt to remove references to any religion from government-sponsored locales as "removing God from (insert reference here)" as if we had the power to put Him there in the first place [face_plain]

I find it alarming that there are those who would attempt to place any religion in the forefront of governmental policy. I lay this challenge:

Show me ANY nation in history that is/was ruled by religion that has existed peacefully with its neighbors. That has treated its citizens who were not of the "faithful" with decency. Ever.

As far as this thread goes, I think a simple re-titling would fit the bill :cool:

7. Cheveyo

Oct 29, 2001
    Now I'm wondering if maybe we SHOULD begin anew. ;) I say this because I realize now that no one really goes back to read old posts, so old arguments get ignored easily.

plus, it's good for organizational purposes.

I hate when I change my mind/opinion... no wait, I changed my mind. I like when I change my mind/opinion. [face_mischief]

8. WormieSaber

WormieSaber Jedi Master star 5

Oct 22, 2000
    The ten commandments are so noble. I don't know, for anyone to want to abolish what they stand for, even if that person doesn't believe in God -- you got to have nothing better to do. Not to mention that it's also historical to the foundation and integrity of our country.

9. Ki-Adi Bundi

Ki-Adi Bundi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 3, 2000
  10. 1stAD

1stAD Jedi Youngling star 5

May 10, 2001
    I don't know, for anyone to want to abolish what they stand for, even if that person doesn't believe in God -- you got to have nothing better to do.

Yes, because "you shall have no other gods before me" isn't offensive to non-christians at all :)

11. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    The ten commandments are so noble. I don't know, for anyone to want to abolish what they stand for, even if that person doesn't believe in God -- you got to have nothing better to do. Not to mention that it's also historical to the foundation and integrity of our country.

*kicks record player* What exactly is the integrity of our country? I haven't seen it. Our country changes so much within in 10 years that it's never really the same as before.

12. Cheveyo

Oct 29, 2001

See, this is what I really don't understand. Either this is a poor attempt at a bait, or some people just don't understand the concept of multicultural awareness.

13. Saint_of_Killers

Saint_of_Killers Jedi Youngling star 5

Feb 18, 2001
    I think the Wiccan Rede is alot more noble than the Ten Commandments. Would you be fine with a monument to that in a court house?

14. anakin_girl

anakin_girl Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 8, 2000
    You and me both, SoK.

Either this is a poor attempt at a bait, or some people just don't understand the concept of multicultural awareness.

Exactly.

15. Kimball_Kinnison

Oct 28, 2001
    I'm locking this thread now to allow us to restart anew. As Cheveyo said, people don't really tend to go back and reread many of the posts and it will help to keep the discussion more organized.

This thread has moved beyond the specific issue of the situation in Alabama. It's time to merge it with the others.

Kimball Kinnison

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.