main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC The term "Fanboy" is derogatory

Discussion in 'Community' started by Merlin_Ambrosius69, Jul 22, 2013.

1. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Playing. It's either that or watch Anthony Weiner sweat about his new sexting scandal.

2. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    oh. yeah, those are pretty limited options i guess.

harpua likes this.
  3. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    What happened to trying to learn science....from crappy blogs and io9?

4. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Geraldo must be a Weiner fanboy, considering his brush with Twitter infamy over the weekend.

5. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    Intellectual honesty is important to me. I'm willing to concede any point that can shown to be evidentially certain. Can you say the same? That men have stronger sex drives than women is not just my opnion based on years of interest in the subject and anecodtal conversations with members of both sexes, it's medically and scientifically accepted as fact.

http://www.webmd.com/sex/features/sex-drive-how-do-men-women-compare

A stereotype, sure, but is it true? Do men really have stronger sex drives than women? Well, yes, they do. Study after study illustrates that men's sex drives are not only stronger than women's, but much more straightforward.​

1. Men think more about sex.​

The majority of adult men under 60 think about sex at least once a day, reports Laumann. Only about one-quarter of women report this level of frequency.​

2. Men seek sex more avidly.​

"Men want sex more often than women at the start of a relationship, in the middle of it, and after many years of it," Baumeister concludes after reviewing several surveys of men and women. This isn't just true of heterosexuals, he reports: gay men also have higher frequency of sex than lesbians at all stages of the relationship. Men also say they want more sex partners in their lifetime, and are more interested in casual sex. ​
    Men are more likely to seek sex even when it is frowned upon or even outlawed:​

(etc.)​

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/sex_relationships/facts/malesexualresponse.htm

Even today, many females don't understand male sexuality. So this article is for women – especially women who can sometimes find it hard to understand what makes men 'tick' sexually.
    But men might also find it useful to read what follows.
    Male sex drive​

It can be enormously difficult for women to understand just how powerful the average man's sex drive is.​

Although males vary a lot on how keen on sex they are, the average man does tend to be much more 'driven' sexually than the average women is.​

etc.​

And I've got more where these examples came from if you need them to disabuse you of the notion that my contentions somehow mark me as sexist. It's medical fact. I await your concession and apology.

6. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Oh look, WebMD.

You know, the place that tells you ever single ache you have is cancer. And AIDS.

How about an actual biology paper? You know, the type that is peer-reviewed.

>disabuse you of the notion that my contentions

You're trying too hard.

7. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    Jesus, this unrelenting derogation is unsettling. My wife has stage IV endometriosis, for which she had excision surgery last Tuesday under Dr. Sinervo in Atlanta at the CEC. It's not a vaginal condition, it's uterine and in the peritoneum of the body cavity. She's had excruciating pain for the last 18+ months, rendering her disabled in a number of ways. She's now recuperating, recovering, resting and relaxing.

Why the hate? I don't get it.

8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

Did WebMD also tell you that holding your breath for eternity will cause you to pass out? Or did it tell you that holding your breath will cause AIDS?

I'll give you a hint: it's the former, so don't try it.

And no, I am not interested in an "intellectual debate" with someone who apparently believe that a statement indicating that "I'm not sexist, but every woman on the planet thinks or feels X" is a valid argument. No such "intellectual debate" can be had.

I'm curious as to why you are so threatened by the idea of women with strong sex drives that you feel you absolutely must perpetuate this absurd argument. If you're trying to convince me that you aren't sexist--you're doing the opposite with every attempt to defend your ridiculous stereotype.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Adam of Nuchtern likes this.
  9. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    I'm with Merl on this. I've been interested in the subject of sex for years. I hope that's what this thread is about now.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  10. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
    I just wasted a few minutes of my life reading this thread and I can't believe that this slipped by and no one mentioned it.

This guy thinks that GRIEVING OVER A FAMILY MEMBER WHO HAPPENS TO BE FEMALE MAKES YOU A FEMINIST.

11. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    Earlier you pointed out, when I asked someone to "prove me wrong" about the definition of "fanboy", that the burden of proof is on the claimant. I've provided medical information from two sites, not just WebMD. You have not rebutted these with any alternate data points of any kind. You're just handwaving it away. Why not follow the sites, read the articles for yourself, follow the links to the studies that provided these medically sound conclusions, and formulate a rebuttal based on evidence?

12. TahiriVeilaSolo69

TahiriVeilaSolo69 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 27, 2002
    I feel as though many women are more concerned about the backlash against them if they admit to the fact that they enjoy sex. Because then we are called sluts and whores, ya know.

13. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    No, I don't think that. Straw-manning.

14. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I've been interested in sex since before many JCers were born.

...oh, wait, I'm a woman, and WebMD said I can't be interested in sex.

But by all means keep posting about it. I'll pretend to be appalled, just in case any WebMD types are doing research. Just know I'm secretly working with the author of What Women Want.

BTW, there was once "medical proof" that women were stupider than men because their brains were smaller. The people who touted that study weren't sexist at all, they presented "medical proof"--in fact, they were feminists, they were just trying to help those poor dumb women.

(How the hell do you "medically prove" women's libido vs men's anyway? Put them in the same room, provide them with separate but equal aphrodisiacs, and measure natural lubrication against an erection to determine which is "greater"?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

15. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    He also thinks that WebMD is a reputable source of medical information. He's the VLM of biology.

16. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    I prefer the term straw-personing

17. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    It doesn't matter what you say,
    the trolls have come to play.
    Right or wrong good or bad,
    they'll just condradict oh so sad.

[face_dancing]

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  18. wannasee

wannasee Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2007
    That guy was my English teacher in high school. :D

that is all

19. siha

siha Jedi Master star 2

Feb 28, 2013
  20. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    Sorry Merlin, WebMD and NetDoctor aren't going to cut it on this issue, for reasons that should be obvious.

21. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Ends in "g". Only losers gluc.

Darth Eddie likes this.
  22. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Let's just set aside the reliability of WebMD for a moment. Assume everything you've laid out is completely, and unquestionably true. None of that even remotely demonstrates that differences are biological [no.]. They are simply surveys about general attitudes in the population. Attitudes which can be shaped entirely by cultural attitudes, for instance your convictions that there are things women are too stupid to ever "be expected" to grasp, or that men have insatiable lusts which should take precedence over even the most serious commitments they make in life.

No flaming. Disagree with his points but don't insult him.

23. Darth Morella

Darth Morella Force Ghost star 6

Apr 5, 2004
    Now there's an idea for a grant proposal. [face_thinking]

24. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    I'm an extra loser 'cause I don't know what the hell either one of those mean :(

DarthTunick likes this.
  25. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
    While we're on the subject of which gender's sexual urges are stronger, I found this article really illuminating.