main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC The term "Fanboy" is derogatory

Discussion in 'Community' started by Merlin_Ambrosius69, Jul 22, 2013.

1. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    The insulting responses continued, so I've addressed them. I see that was a mistake.

2. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Yes, if only this website had an "edit" function that let you modify posts you just made to add additional points.

Oh, wait.

Also, you are a hypocrite. You have on numerous occasions dismissed other poster's opinions about entertainment franchises because of the nature of their fandom. Yet, when someone does so using the word "fanboy" or directed against you, it's suddenly such a tragedy that we have to make an entire JCC topic about it?

3. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    your vagina is making you irrational slg. :(

4. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Is this thread an entry for "What issue is even less important than where the Romonovs are buried" contest?

5. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    Double and triple posting is against the TOS.
    This is your warning.
    Next time it's off to banland.
    Jello has given me special birthday mod privileges for today.

6. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    At least at the end of the day, the tsarist thing was about actual human beings. This is someone freaking out over make believe.

7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    You misspelled "more hilarious."

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  8. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    I'm not sexist, but I believe that someone's biological sex and gender shouldn't have a relation to their salary.

THAT IS NOT UNIMPORTANT

9. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    Never said that! Never wrote it or thought any of that. It seems that tilting windmills and straw-manning are typical on this site, which is troubling to me as I can now see no way out of this horrifying argument.

I also see I've inadvertently created a host of enemies here. My intent has been to discuss an observation I've made about what I perceive as an imbalanced use of the term "fanboy". But I've garnered little but anger and misrepresentation. I've taken several points to heart and allowed that my thinking on the matter is not indicative of the community's, and still I'm being derided and belittled. I'm out.

10. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    LOL, alright, OZK, you win this round.

11. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    In fairness, my using the conjunction "but" didn't make any sense in that sentence.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  12. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    [​IMG]

13. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    I'm very much saddened by the critical response to what I thought at the time was reasonable topic for discussion. There's so much anger and intent to belittle that I feel rather overwhelmed by it all. It may not seem relevant to anyone reading this, but my wife has just had surgery for a gynecological condition, I'm in a tender spot and my heart is more susceptible than usual to wounding. I apologize for any offense or insult I've inadvertently given to others. I won/;t be returning here for some time. =((

14. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    Merlin, my friend. You find the term fanboy derogatory. That's fine. If someone has called you a fanboy and you took offense you should go to that person and let them know how it made you feel. Let them know that you didn't like it, and maybe they'd like to talk about it over lunch or something(obviously you can't take them to lunch).

I don't understand the point of this thread. If you're trying to get a policy change to ban the word fanboy maybe this should be in comms.

15. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    Just to throw something into this discussion, but I use both the term fan and fangirl about myself. I definitely use them with different values though. I'm a SW fan who spends way too much money and time on my hobby, and is right now posting from Germany because I'm going to a SW convention. I'm also a fangirl that can get all giddy when I see a cute tweet from certain actors. So for me fan is deeper while fanboy/girl is the part of me that gets the rush and usually act a bit sillier than when I'm just a fan. Going to CE2 I will feel like a fan, if Harrison Ford was to drop by I would definitely act like a fangirl, if you understand my difference in the usage of the term.

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  16. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    Don't take it to heart Merlin. This is the jcc.

PS: I hope your wife juli feels better soon.

17. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
  18. Piltdown

Piltdown Jedi Master star 5

May 3, 2002
    Internet: Day 1

It seemed wise to me
    To post an opinion here
    Open season now

19. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    I should have just listened to my husband :(

Also merlin I think I may have given the wrong impression. Just because I used the word vagina to make my point, I did not mean to imply that I wanted to hear about your wife's. I'm sorry for the troubles you face in your real life, as we all face troubles, but you're no exception and I don't want to hear about that sort of thing. TMI chico. TMI.

20. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    [​IMG]

Why yes, Maximus. I am entertained.

21. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    I'm really surprised by this thread; fanboys usually have such thick skin.

Point Given likes this.
  22. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    My name is Montie, and I am a fanboy.

[​IMG]

23. Darth Morella

Darth Morella Force Ghost star 6

Apr 5, 2004
    Aw I'm such a fangirl for Russell Crowe.

24. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Oh yes. I remember. He's like your human mortal fill in for True Blood Eric.

25. TahiriVeilaSolo69

TahiriVeilaSolo69 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 27, 2002
    The hell is going on in here?