main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends The Terrible Truth (LOTF speculation vignette)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Darth_Lex, Mar 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Lex

Darth_Lex Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2002
    Title: The Terrible Truth
    Author: Darth_Lex
    Timeframe: Legacy of the Force era
    Characters: Luke Skywalker, Jaina Solo
    Genre: Drama
    Summary: Speculation based on the Dark Nest trilogy and preliminary LOTF information.
    Notes: The title is borrowed from Chapter 35 of the ROTS DVD.

Disclaimer: Lucasfilm owns all the rights to Star Wars. I don?t. No infringement is intended or profit to be made by me.

Thanks to oldjedinurse and ?Jaina?s Prophecy? for dredging up this long-dormant plot bunny from the depths of my twisted mind. :D And special thanks as always to TKL for the inspiration ? and a speedy beta. [face_batting]

This vignette is my speculation based on characterizations presented the Dark Nest trilogy by Troy Denning, as well as the following hints provided in the Official Site?s Legacy of the Force announcements:

Evil is rising again ? out of the best intentions ? and it looks as if the legacy of the Skywalkers may come full circle.
    ?
    A devastating war threatens the galaxy.
    A dangerous destiny summons Jacen Solo.
    A dark enemy stalks the Jedi.
    ?
    Something so major and incendiary will occur during the Legacy of the Force series that we cannot even mention what it is.

[i][color=red]Approximately forty years after the Battle of Endor?[/i][/color]

[b]The Terrible Truth[/b]

A faint haze of smoke blurred the dim light in the narrow corridor. The stench of death hung heavy in the air. Reverberations of suffering ? and hatred ? resounded in the torn fabric of the Force. Worst of all was the eerie silence.

The two Jedi Masters walked reverently through the tangle of fallen soldiers, shattered electronics, demolished droids, and scattered weapons. Though their gazes did not fall to the sprawling corpses at their feet, the somber expressions written across their faces seemed to bid mournful farewell to each slain being. Within the depths of their once sparkling eyes, only eternal sadness remained.

They reached the central chamber of the devastated Intelligence Bureau bunker. Side by side they worked diligently at a pair of computer stations. After only a few minutes, though, they stopped and stepped away.

?It?s gone,? Luke Skywalker said. ?They took what they came for.?

Jaina Solo nodded slowly. Her voice came out in a raw whisper. ?Yes.?

He moved to leave.

?Uncle Luke,? she said, reaching out to stay him by the elbow. ?Wait.?

He met her gaze.

?There?s something I need to see.?

He placed his hand over hers. ?You already know the truth. Watching the recordings can bring you nothing but pain.?

She tipped her head. ?I know.? She looked away, distantly, then met the hollow blue of his eyes once again. ?But it won?t be real to me until I see it.?

Her uncle only nodded, and lifted his hand away.

Reaching the security console with two long strides, Jaina activated the holographic display. Despite the carnage in the facility, the databanks she needed remained intact. She called up the recordings of the attack on Chandrila. Then Kuat. Sluis Van.

?No,? she whispered at one point. ?He couldn?t.?

Malastare. Thyferra. Ossus. Hapes. Coruscant.

Finally she shut down the display. Still looking upon the empty space where the wavering blue images had flickered, she said, ?That?s enough.?

She turned to find her uncle leaning back against a console along the opposite wall, his head bowed, eyes closed, chin resting atop a fist. A long moment later Luke finally lifted his face to her. ?You know what we have to do.?

Her breath caught in her throat. ?I? I can?t.?

?They must be destroyed.?

She nodded, weakly.

?We have no choice.?

?Then let me kill Lumiya.?

He gave her a regretful smile. ?If only it could be that way.?

?I can?t fight Jacen.?

?Lumiya is a true master of the dark side. She has spent decades focused on a sole objective ? preparing for this final showdown. I am the only Jedi who can defeat her. No one else can do it. She is too powerful, even for you.?

?And Jacen isn?t?? She ran a gloved hand

2. Kissa

Kissa Jedi Master star 3

Jan 30, 2006
    Nice.

I enjoyed the deja vu aspect of this. The allusions to Yoda and Obi-wan are great.[face_peace]

3. BigFatty

BigFatty Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 9, 2005
    Well done, Lex. Glad to see your muse has returned. This was a wonderful viggie, very foreboding and a good read.

4. Lola64

Lola64 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 10, 2005
    I liked how you did this like the ROTS scene. It's quite believable that it could be repeated, making it full circle, like it says.

?He spent five years doing nothing but studying the Force, and he?s only grown stronger since then. I can?t even contemplate the things he might be capable of doing. He has more knowledge of its possibilities than I could hope to match.?

That's true. What does Jaina have? She does have Force abilities, yes. But her focus had always been on her piloting and leadership goals.

?In his arrogance he will underestimate you. It will be his undoing.?

That sounds like the only way he coud lose against Jaina.

Until I read these parts I was hoping for a Jaina/Jacen showdown. Now I'm not so sure she could defeat him, unless she goes back to focusing on her Jedi training, which is a possibility because of the end of her joining. She'd need to regroup I think.

But then, with Leia focusing on her ability it would be interesting to see if she'd be the one chosen to face him. That too would be something to see.

Anyway, this is great and I just thought I'd say so.

5. MirandaFair

MirandaFair Jedi Master star 4

Jun 13, 2005
    Hi, Lex! :D

I think is the first story I've read by you. Must say, I'll have to search out more of your work.[face_batting] There was such a haunting quality to this vignette. I kept getting chills. It was so interesting to see the switch of roles from PT to OT/EU characters. How sad that although much time has passed between the two time frames, our heroes are still faced with the same issues.

?Yoda and Obi-Wan,? she said softly, turning back, ?believed the same thing about your father once.?

Luke lifted his hands, pressing his palms together and touching his fingertips to his lips. ?Yes. And they were very nearly right about him.? His eyes glowed with a grim intensity when he stared deeply into hers. ?You must be prepared to do your duty if Jacen is not capable of making the same choice.?

?I am,? she promised.

Wonderful interaction between Luke and Jaina. Frightening as it is, I can sort of see LOTF going into a direction like this. I hope they do just as well as you have done here. :)

=D= @};-

6. Jags_Scoundrel

Jags_Scoundrel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2003
    Lex, what a pleasant surprise! :D Well, pleasant doesn't seem to be an appropriate word to associate with this viggie...but you know what I meant!

Wow. What a chilling way to bring things full circle. Unfortunately, I can really picture things unfolding in LotF this way. :(

Brilliant vig! =D= :D

7. oldjedinurse

oldjedinurse Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 6, 2003
    Oh, WOW, Lex! This is fantastic!

The whole feel of the scene runs the gamut of emotions from love to agony. I enjoyed seeing Jaina walking with Luke, as a Master, and sensing a maturity in her that we rarely address in fanfic. The echoes of her facing a challenge so similar to that which Luke confronted as a youth are beautifully done.

Your other readers are right - this is a chilling vignette. BRAVO!!

oldj

8. TahiriSoloFan

TahiriSoloFan Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2003
    Lex : That was beautifully done! =D=
    The parallel was perfect and the reminders of Yoda and Obi-Wan thinking Anakin was past the point of no return were very poignant... of course, knowing as they did that he had killed the younglings, you can kind of see their point. [face_tired] Luke just had his hope and faith in the idea of his father ... and the leading of the Force, of course.

It is so sad to think of Jaina having to go stop Jacen and possibly kill him if he will not listen to her. He is as gone as Anakin. :_| Are we going to lose all the Solos? Is it the end of the Solo line?

9. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Wow, very interesting and great parallels.

10. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    DarthLex,

This is truly one of richest fics I've read in a while. I was entranced from the opening and led into an amazing situation. [face_hypnotized]I admire your Luke. I am refreshed by your Jaina. And I'm not surprised by your implied Jacen. Is there more to this? Or is this just a vig? If my vote counts for anything, give us more! [face_praying] Write your own story and leave profic to itself.

A faint haze of smoke blurred the dim light in the narrow corridor. The stench of death hung heavy in the air. Reverberations of suffering ? and hatred ? resounded in the torn fabric of the Force. Worst of all was the eerie silence.

Amazing opening...

The two Jedi Masters walked reverently through the tangle of fallen soldiers, shattered electronics, demolished droids, and scattered weapons. Though their gazes did not fall to the sprawling corpses at their feet, the somber expressions written across their faces seemed to bid mournful farewell to each slain being. Within the depths of their once sparkling eyes, only eternal sadness remained.

The scene you set of the Jedi masters walking through the devastation was palpable.

Luke paced to her side. ?There are many kinds of knowledge of the Force, Jaina, and there are very few who can match you in any of them.? He rested a hand gently on her arm. ?But above all you are unequaled as a warrior. It is your greatest strength.? When she looked away, he waited until she met his gaze again. ?In his arrogance he will underestimate you. It will be his undoing.?

I am enthralled by Luke's wisdom and authority here. I wish he would be so bold and wise in profic. Great characterization. =D=

Unlike the young, untested learner who had faced down two Dark Lords of the Sith four decades ago, she was a fully trained Jedi Master with all too clear an understanding of the chilling nature of her adversary. No matter the test, she would never again strike down a living being in anger. Not even the most vile and malevolent of enemies. Not even her lost twin. For despite the pain, despite everything he had done, despite all the agony he had inflicted on their family, she did not hate him. Jaina was far too strong for that.

Again, your Jaina is a refreshing change from her joiner self. you make her human, and, once again, likeable. :)

Lex, this is awesome! give me more, please! [face_praying]

11. Chimpo_the_Sith

Chimpo_the_Sith Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 15, 2003
    Lex please don't tell me it's only this vignette [face_praying]

Though decission to make for Jaina and Luke. It would have been easier if
    Jacen wasn't part of family but he is and that's the hardest decision to be made.

Great job Lex :)

But I'm so curious of what happend before this talk and what will happen after this talk...

12. jags_gurl

jags_gurl Jedi Padawan star 4

May 29, 2002
    She called up the recordings of the attack on Chandrila. Then Kuat. Sluis Van.

?No,? she whispered at one point. ?He couldn?t.?

Malastare. Thyferra. Ossus. Hapes. Coruscant. [/ i] :eek: [face_plain]Oh, Lex,that was so surprising...and then again ... it really wasn't. I half-expect him to do this, and with Ben in tow come Legacy ... [face_plain]

?I can?t fight Jacen.?
    I'm forseeing the end of thier battle... "You were my brother, Jacen!" :_|

Luke paced to her side. ?There are many kinds of knowledge of the Force, Jaina, and there are very few who can match you in any of them.? He rested a hand gently on her arm. ?But above all you are unequaled as a warrior. It is your greatest strength.? When she looked away, he waited until she met his gaze again. ?In his arrogance he will underestimate you. It will be his undoing.?
    I really liked that description of Jaina. It's so true -- and I do wish you'd write a few more speculation vignettes, because the parallels you've set up are wonderful!

Cloaks swirling behind them, the two Jedi Masters passed into the corridor and strode into the gloom to face their destinies. I [face_love] the imagery there!

Lex, bravo! =D= We all know George likes to echo storylines, so I find this very very entirely believeable!

Well done -- I do hope you'd write more of these [face_batting]

13. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005
    More? Please?

14. YodaKenobi

YodaKenobi Former TFN Books Staff star 6 VIP

May 27, 2003
    Very nicely done, Lex =D= We see a lot of things coming full circle in the EU, I wouldn't mind seeing this scene in LotF ;) I was sort of hoping Jaina would say "He's like my brother" instead of "He's my brother" :p

I really enjoyed the descriptions at the beginning. Very vivid, and definitely set an ominous tone for the entire viggie. Having Jaina and Luke as the Yoda and Obi-Wan of the LotF is a great idea, and is basically how I see things playing out as well. But you probably know that by now :p

Though I'm not sure Lumiya is going to be the Sith Master ;)

?He spent five years doing nothing but studying the Force, and he?s only grown stronger since then. I can?t even contemplate the things he might be capable of doing. He has more knowledge of its possibilities than I could hope to match.?

I really liked this part, showing Jaina's doubts, or more, a desperate attempt to get out of confronting her brother. But Jacen certainly picked up a lot of unexplained skills in that 5 years. Things he definitely didn't learn from the Fallanassi [face_mischief]

Having Anakin and Obi fight was very emotional, we can see it is even more so for Jaina to have to go and kill her twin. I can't wait for that showdown in LotF :cool:

Terrific job, Lex :)

15. TheCrazyRodian

TheCrazyRodian Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2004
    I agree with Yobi--I would like to see this in LotF. Well, "like" is a relative term, of course. What I'd really like is for Jacen and Jaina to wake up and realize that everything that happened was just a bad dream they shared because of their twin bond, and then go off and cause trouble with Anakin until Chewie finds them and growls at them.

That would be very nice.

But the way things are going, I'm really anxious for Jacen and Jaina to fight each other. It seems to be the only option left to us. It'll be awful and sad, but good. I just hope Jacen can come back to the Light.

Ugh. Wonderful vignette, even if it is a bit heartbreaking. Your narrative here is very concise, but also manages to be descriptive as well. Very, very good work!

16. goddess45

goddess45 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2005
    wow! really cool. That was cool with sithly Jacen. hehe

I think he's falling over so it was interesting to read.

Great job!!

17. Darth_Lex

Nov 17, 2002
    Hi everyone! :D Time for replies.

Kissa: I enjoyed the deja vu aspect of this. The allusions to Yoda and Obi-wan are great.
    Thanks. The notion of things coming full circle really captured my curiosity.

BigFatty: This was a wonderful viggie, very foreboding and a good read.
    Foreboding is good. [face_devil]

Lola64: What does Jaina have? She does have Force abilities, yes. But her focus had always been on her piloting and leadership goals.
    In an odd sort of way, Jaina is more like her grandfather in that regard, and Jacen is like Obi-Wan in being more well-rounded. But of course at this point their emotional centers are exactly the opposite of that. :(

That sounds like the only way he coud lose against Jaina.
    I?d always wondered if ?your overconfidence is your weakness? was specific to the Emperor, but in light of the PT it seems to be a commonality among the Sith. I think there?s a good argument that Maul in TPM, Dooku in ROTS, Vader in ROTS, and Palpatine in ROTJ all die because of overconfidence. Based on some of Jacen?s actions in Dark Nest when he?s a little too proud of his own strength, I can see him falling into the same trap ? especially because he would think of Jaina?s training as limited compared to his own.

Now I'm not so sure she could defeat him, unless she goes back to focusing on her Jedi training, which is a possibility because of the end of her joining. She'd need to regroup I think.
    To clarify one thing, I set the viggie 40 years after Endor (44 years after Yavin), which puts it about 4 years after Betrayal on the timeline. I envision that between the end of Dark Nest and this point in LOTF, Jaina will have mastered quite a bit more of the Force than she had in by the ends of TUF and TSW.

MirandaFair: I think is the first story I've read by you. Must say, I'll have to search out more of your work.
    Welcome, then! :D Thanks for reading. :cool: You can find links to my other fics (some Beyond, lots of Saga) in my bio. ;)

How sad that although much time has passed between the two time frames, our heroes are still faced with the same issues.
    It really is. :_| I think there?s something about SW that defines the characters and themes this way, though. The significance the Force and the dark side, the role of the Jedi as peacekeepers, and just human nature itself. There are so many similarities in the deep themes of the PT, OT, and NJO that I expect many of them to recur in LOTF, although probably in new and unexpectedly twisty ways. [face_mischief]

I hope they do just as well as you have done here.
    Me too. [face_praying] And thanks!

Scoundrel: Well, pleasant doesn't seem to be an appropriate word to associate with this viggie...but you know what I meant!
    Yep, I do. ;)

What a chilling way to bring things full circle. Unfortunately, I can really picture things unfolding in LotF this way.
    I?m afraid it?s heading in this direction, too. There really are a lot of chilling foreshadowing moments in Dark Nest, building off the later NJO? [face_worried]

oldjedinurse: Oh, WOW, Lex! This is fantastic!
    [face_blush] Thank you.

I enjoyed seeing Jaina walking with Luke, as a Master, and sensing a maturity in her that we rarely address in fanfic.
    Thanks for noticing this and commenting on it. :D I guess maybe we?re just so fond of our canon explications and AU revisionisms that we haven?t jumped ahead to that point on the timeline yet. :p Now that profic is finally taking us past 39 ABY (when Jaina turns 30), though, I expect we?ll see less apprentice and Knight and a lot more Jedi Master Jaina Solo soon ? in both profic and fanfic. :cool:

TahiriSoloFan: The parallel was perfect and the reminders of Yoda and Obi-Wan thinking Anakin was past the point of no return were very poignant... of course, knowing as they did that he had killed the younglings, you can kind of see their point.
    Definitely. :( Since this is just speculation, I purposefully left i

18. _ThatJediScum_

_ThatJediScum_ Jedi Master star 3

Jul 28, 2005
    You know Lex this is just begging for a "Jacen's the father isn't he? " scene.
    Good work. :D

bran

19. SpiritofEowyn

SpiritofEowyn Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 5, 2005
    JediScum: LOL. Another parallel!

For despite the pain, despite everything he had done, despite all the agony he had inflicted on their family, she did not hate him. Jaina was far too strong for that.

That's my take on Jaina too. Her version of compassion. I don't think she'll hate again after Dark Journey.

I liked this a lot. (I'd of loved it if it was happy and not depressing but if wishes were fishes...)

I would love to see the sequel with the Mustafar scene. I have my own versions of how it will play out and I really would like to see yours.

Poor Poor Jaina. That would be worst thing in the world. I hope Jacen comes back to the light.

:D

20. jagsredlady

jagsredlady Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 7, 2002
    Wow, that was really powerful. =D=

?They must be destroyed.?

She nodded, weakly.

?We have no choice.?

?Then let me kill Lumiya.?

?I can?t fight Jacen.?

The Yoda and Obi-Wan parallels are just chilling.

:(

Incredibly well done, Lexie. =D=

I?ll hope to have news about the possible companion viggie within a week or so.

:D This is indeed good news!

Can't wait for more!

21. SilSolo

SilSolo Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2004
    ya mean Jacen attacked the home of his own daughter or is he hiding there?

22. TKeira_Lea

TKeira_Lea Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 10, 2002
    And special thanks as always to TKL for the inspiration ? and a speedy beta.

You know sometimes when you beta something you forget to respond [face_blush] Here I am though, having kicked DRL in the butt.

A devastating war threatens the galaxy.
    A dangerous destiny summons Jacen Solo.
    A dark enemy stalks the Jedi.

Well we've been talking about this one for a while. Glad you got it written down. Well worth the wait of it stewing in your brain :cool:

I just love that you can draw a parallel between characters who are so different really, but their fates draw them to similar moments. Jaina as Obi-Wan's double - it seems impossible, but there it is. She's him in the moment. Denying duty even though she knows what must be done, needing to see the truth even though she knows it in her heart.

Luke as Yoda. A wise Jedi Master both of them are, but so different. Yet in this scene very much the same. I just loved this all the way through. I hope you continue this idea.

Bravo, my friend =D=

23. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Great atmosphere in this piece, Lex. And I loved Luke?s advice to Jaina and his insight into Jacen?s hubris. Ain?t that the truth.

For despite the pain, despite everything he had done, despite all the agony he had inflicted on their family, she did not hate him. Jaina was far too strong for that.
    That?s a marvellous bit ? made me shiver. I really like the way you show Jaina is truly ?the sword of the Jedi.? :)

24. Darth_Lex

Nov 17, 2002
    Whoops! :oops: Catching up on replies here. :cool:

ThatJediScum: You know Lex this is just begging for a "Jacen's the father isn't he? " scene.
    I was thinking that, too. ;) Although I also suspect that by the time this sort of scene could happen, Jaina would already know that Allana is Jacen?s daughter. That?s one of the little details that I?ll leave implied with this vignette.

SpiritofEowyn: That's my take on Jaina too. Her version of compassion. I don't think she'll hate again after Dark Journey.
    Exactly. She had some chances to face the implications of darkness in Dark Nest, too, and she turned away from those. So I think we?re definitely seeing Jaina being set up as a kind of Obi-Wan figure, confident in her path in the light regardless of the circumstances around her.

I would love to see the sequel with the Mustafar scene. I have my own versions of how it will play out and I really would like to see yours.
    Thanks! :D I may write a Jaina/Jacen showdown. Right now I?m still pondering some ideas, especially now that I?ve read Betrayal? [face_thinking]

Red: The Yoda and Obi-Wan parallels are just chilling.
    Unfortunately, I think they really are? [face_worried] That?s the plot bunny that just wouldn?t let me go. ;)

SilSolo: ya mean Jacen attacked the home of his own daughter or is he hiding there?
    There was some kind of attack on Hapes, yes. Although we don?t know who, where, or why? [face_thinking] I?m leaving that up to the readers? imaginations. ;)

TKL: You know sometimes when you beta something you forget to respond
    I never do that. O:) [face_whistling]

Well worth the wait of it stewing in your brain
    It?s like a fine wine, better with age. :p

Jaina as Obi-Wan's double - it seems impossible, but there it is. She's him in the moment. Denying duty even though she knows what must be done, needing to see the truth even though she knows it in her heart. Luke as Yoda. A wise Jedi Master both of them are, but so different. Yet in this scene very much the same.
    Exactly. That?s one of the captivating features of the Star Wars saga, IMO ? the way themes, events, and choices have a way of repeating themselves across the generations. Jaina and Luke are in most ways very different from Obi-Wan and Yoda of ROTS, and yet when faced with an unspeakable betrayal?

Tahi: Great atmosphere in this piece, Lex.
    For me, the scenes with Obi-Wan and Yoda returning to the devastated Temple are the most haunting in ROTS. I wanted to evoke a similar kind of destruction here, to set the mood for the similar choices to come.

That?s a marvellous bit ? made me shiver. I really like the way you show Jaina is truly ?the sword of the Jedi.?
    Thanks! :D I?ve enjoyed writing Jaina for a long time, but LOTF has drawn me to her even more (even with her relatively limited role in Betrayal). We?re really seeing the culmination of the choices made in the later NJO and Dark Nest, and why Troy Denning said that Jaina is the truest Jedi hero in Dark Nest. I think the payoff in her characterization in LOTF is going to be outstanding. [face_dancing]

Thanks again for the feedback, everyone! :D

And a big THANK YOU to those of you who nominated The Terrible Truth in the SFFA. I appreciate it very much. [:D]

25. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    Wow! A chill ran through me after reading this. [face_worried] I can understand Jaina's anguish at the thought of having to fight and possibly kill her own brother. Her twin. Wonderful job with the emotions of these characters. This most certainly deserved the noms. =D=

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.