main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Terrorists Strike Back

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Gimme5secs, Oct 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gimme5secs

Gimme5secs Jedi Youngling

Oct 1, 2002
    Osama Bin Laden has released a message on Iraqi airwaves declaring that 'a huge plan to put terror into the hearts of all Americans and their allies' is in place.

At the same time a French oil tanker was attacked in the Gulf.

Do you think that the US knows this and that is why they are attacking Iraq?

All discussion welcome.

2. Darth Mischievous

Darth Mischievous Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 12, 1999
    I'm hesitant to believe that it is truly Osama bin Laden on that tape.

3. AdmiralZaarin

AdmiralZaarin Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 8, 2001
    I may be wrong, but isn't the US attacking Iraq to get rid of Hussein and his supposed nuke program? That may be a contributing factor too, however.

4. Red-Seven

Red-Seven Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 21, 1999
    It's about bloody time. I was beginning to think that these guys were one-trick-ponies. It's a shame when you throw a war, and only one side shows up.

5. rsterling78

rsterling78 Jedi Knight star 5

May 26, 2002
    LOL at Red-Seven.

Notice how "new: bin Laden message has no video, and makes no specific mention of recent developments like the break up of al Qaeda cells in the U.S.A. or the upcoming attack against Iraq? It's just more generic "the infidels will die" stuff.

It's probably an old message, if it's even really by bid Laden himself. There's a good chance bin Laden is dead. No way to be sure, though.

6. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Except people, it wasn't Iraqi airwaves, it was his normal favourite method of spreading his "message" - al-Jazeera.
    Firstly, I don't believe this was al-Qaeda. It doesn't feel like an al-Qaeda attack; the target was not a US target. Secondly, why hit an oil tanker if you've declared war on America? It was a European company. Yemen may harbour Islamic extremists but it seems like everyone automatically assume al-Qaeda are the only terrorists out there.

Besides, we know for a fact that major al-Qaeda ops - US Embassies in Nairobi and Dar-es-Salaam, USS Cole, 9/11 - are all planned out for any where from 6 months to a year in advance, and they have all made statements. We also assume that if he is alive, despite Hamid Karzai's assertions au contraire, he has been moving since this time last year - so when did he have time to plan this attack? Iraq has been a topical issue for around two months and what exaclty would he achieve from blowing up a European owned oil tanker anyways?

I'm not saying it's not a terrorist attack; it is. But eco-terrorism and al-Qaeda..?

E_S

7. JediSmuggler

JediSmuggler Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 5, 1999
    I've seen some news articles that have shown neo-Nazis and Islamic fundamentalists reaching a point where they are working together.

Might some of them work with eco-terrorists, or use them as "fall guys"? It's not impossible, IMHO.

8. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Neo-Nazis and Islamic fundamentalists? Are you out of your tree? How do white Aryan Christian supremacists and Arab Islamic fundamentalists find common ground?!? Well, I suppose that they are both repugnant groups with warped religious and social beliefs...
    E_S

9. JediSmuggler

Jun 5, 1999
    Ender_Sai:

Oh, it's quite easy.

Both are virulently anti-Semitic. Heck, the late (and unlamented by me) William Pierce did radio commentaries for the official radio network of Iran.

The Aryan Nations also released an open letter in support of Saddam Hussein.

Look at this Washington Post article. I'm NOT off on this one.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn?pagename=article&node=&contentId=A64385-2002Apr28&notFound=true

10. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    How many of Germany's estimated 58,000 neo-Nazis are taking part in the alliance is unclear; to date there is no evidence that neo-Nazi violence against Muslim immigrants, a recurring problem in Germany, has declined.

This is the part that I'm talking about. For however the "management" wants to play this allegiance (and that guy DID convert) the average neo-fascists are not fond of anyone who has not got Aryan features and is Christian.

E_S

11. JediSmuggler

Jun 5, 1999
    Ender_Sai:

However, it's the same old saw that has apparently prompted Saddam Hussein to shelter a variety of terrorists, including some from al-Qaida.

He might not like them, but the one thing that the two entities have in common with is a shared hatred of America and Israel. It's the old, asupposedly trite, saying: "The enemy of my enemy is my friend."

In this case, the neo-Nazis don't care for Jews in general, and they don't exactly care for the U.S. government, either.

12. Jedi_Xen

Jedi_Xen Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 26, 2001
    Firstly, I don't believe this was al-Qaeda. It doesn't feel like an al-Qaeda attack; the target was not a US target. Secondly, why hit an oil tanker if you've declared war on America? It was a European company.

Didn't France break up an Al Queda ring a couple years ago in Paris? I think they were planning to blow up the Eiffel Tower. Remember these are religious extremist, like the youre not for us your against us you guys hate, these terrorist have the same atttiude, your not muslim so your an infedel who must die.

13. lavjoricso

lavjoricso Force Ghost star 4

May 25, 2001
    I don't think personally that its al-Qaeda,im not saying that it's not but i don't think so.

This isn't really the type of follow - up from the WTC that i believe al-Qaeda will/would deliver.

I've also been told by a very good friend (my best friend) whose out in Afganistan that Bin Laden died in December.He isn't a guy who lies or makes things up and he has been told this by guys who 'know their ****' in the SBS !!!

14. Admiral_Thrawn60

Admiral_Thrawn60 Jedi Youngling star 6

Jul 8, 2000
    Bin Laden did not die at Tora Bora, which is the conflict that occured in December. He was wounded. There is evidence that he is still alive, and planning his next attack.

15. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    Yeah, back when the US was routing the taliban, Mullah Muhammed Omar issued a statement that a 'plan' was in the works to destroy the US.

Same old rhetoric.

It does however, make me nervous.

Peace,

V-03

16. Cheveyo

Cheveyo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2001
    There is evidence that he is still alive, and planning his next attack.

Really?? What evidence?

17. Admiral_Thrawn60

Admiral_Thrawn60 Jedi Youngling star 6

Jul 8, 2000
    I'm pretty sure CNN said something about it a few weeks ago. I'm not positive though, and I don't have a link. Sorry.

18. Cheveyo

Cheveyo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2001
    No problem. I was just curious.

19. ferelwookie

ferelwookie Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 4, 2001
    What exactly (other than "speculation") does or has Osama Bin Laden EVER had to do with Iraq?

20. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    "What exactly (other than 'speculation') does or has Osama Bin Laden EVER had to do with Iraq?"

That he's a Middle Eastern "madman" that Dubya can actually find and put his head on a pike. :D

21. ferelwookie

Oct 4, 2001
    Oh, so they have the same skin complextion. That's reason enough. :p

Of course Bin Laden is a Wahabbist (spelling?) while Hussein isn't even a practicing Muslim (from what I've read). But try telling that to the typical American. More importantly, there's NOTHING to tie Bin Laden with Hussein at all. So, if we're going into Iraq "to stop terrorism and Bin Laden" it's a pretty weak excuse.

Wouldn't it be refreshing if our government was just a BIT honest with us sheep for once?

Dubya: "Hey people. We need cheap affordable oil. Now let's go kill us some Muslims! Yeeeaaaaaahhaaawww!" ;)

22. Emerik Lonestar

Emerik Lonestar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 5, 1999
    I am sure that there is stuff that the government has but just hasn't released to us yet. If they ever will. But the issue isn't if he is associated with Saddam, it is we need to take out Saddam before he does something horrible.

On topic, I feel this was more of and accident than a terrorist attack. However, I coule be wrong.

23. lavjoricso

lavjoricso Force Ghost star 4

May 25, 2001
    He didn't say it was at Tora Bora,he has just been told by some guys in the SBS that he is dead and has been since before Christmas last year.

He's working with them now,and has actually found nothing to support that he is still alive !!!

24. ferelwookie

Oct 4, 2001
    But the issue isn't if he is associated with Saddam, it is we need to take out Saddam before he does something horrible.

I agree. It is a SEPARATE matter/"fight". But the person who started the thread raised the question of: Bin Laden has made new threats...is this why we're attacking IRAQ now? Makes no sense.

We're attacking Iraq (according to our governemt) to take out Saddam before he gets WMD. That has nothing to do with Bin Laden and other terrorist groups (who I believe are a much MORE serious threat to the U.S. HOMELAND).

I just wonder, how many "wars" can we fight at the same time with little or no international support and an horribly weak domestic economy?

25. GrandAdmiralPelleaon

GrandAdmiralPelleaon Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2000
    I think it would be more along the lines of

Dubya: "People, I need to give something back to the genrous, I mean *generous* people who made me your prez. Now let's go kill some Muslims! Yeeehaw!"

( ;) kidding people, kidding!)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.