main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The TFN/FF Party Feedback Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by Miana Kenobi, Aug 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Hi guys!

We want to hear from YOU about the party. Since the party ended, we've already begun planning for the next one; talking about what we did right, what we need to change, etc.

However, we definitely need some opinions of those who attended!

If you could please tell us the following:

What did you enjoy most?

What did you enjoy least?

What do you think we should change?

What do you think we should keep?

Any other thoughts/suggestions for improvement?

Thanks a bunch, you guys!

Edit: And Yes, we know the band way too loud. :p

2. MattDoc

MattDoc Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 10, 2009
    Good:
    -The raffle was great (and not just because I won something [face_laugh])
    -All of the TFN people in one place to meet and greet
    -The celebrity cameos. Other than Seth Green, it seems like they all enjoyed just hanging out and talking with everyone

Not as good:
    -Agree on the band comment. While loud, yes, having a band like that didn't really fit the vibe of the party
    -Maybe I missed it, but I would have liked to see some kind of intro's of people like TF.N/RS staffers, forum mods & admins, etc.

3. MrSkinnee

MrSkinnee Jedi Master star 3

Mar 25, 2002
    Yes, the band was loud, but when we were setting up and testing out the audio with them, the drums alone were so loud that if we didn't increase the vocals and the guitars, then they would have been drowned out by the drums. So unfortunately, there wasn't much we could do about their loudness. I did the best I could with the audio and with the music that was played. I tried to have some danceable music, but people were telling me that they wanted it to be a mingling party, not a dancing one. I can't say I agree with that, but that's why there wasn't much dance music played. I also heard that people who were watching the video via UStream were complaining about the music that was being played, but to be honest, I was trying to appeal to the people who were actually there.

CHANGES:
    - I think it would have been a good idea to have an actual DJ there. The guy who DJ'd the mixer at the convention center did a good job, but overall, out party was better.
    - The video screen was a great idea. However, I personally would like to have had some random Star Wars images projected on the screen instead of the UStream feed the entire time. Perhaps footage from the movies, Robot Chicken, Family Guy, just something else to break it up.
    - As great as that party was, I think the cost should be $40. It was certainly worth it!

That's all I can think of. I think that everyone's hard work paid off, and it was easily one of the highlights of the trip for me.

4. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    I do like the idea of intros for just who the mods/admins/tfn staff/etc are (and former as well).

And I do view it more about meeting people than the dancing, personally, since I can go somewhere and not dance, any time, but I get fewer chances to go somewhere and meet people from on here.

5. hothie

hothie Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 12, 2004
    The rationale behind the cost:
    we wanted to make the party worth coming to, but not break anyone's bank. People were already spending a lot of money at the con, so maybe we lose some people, especially families, if we charge 40 versus 30. When you consider 2 people buying tix, $80 vs $60 is a big difference. It's a whole cost analysis thing that is quite complicated. Dajuan had a spreadsheet set up with food costs per person, etc. When she was working with the hotel, and had the menu somewhat figured out, the food/service cost came to like 29 and change per person, so that's where the 30 came from. You have some people that will pig out, and some that won't eat much at all, so where do you find a good balance, ya know? Other parties charged less, and others charged more, so we think what we charged was reasonable.

And to be honest, the hotel bill ended up being close to $11,000. Between ticket sales, raffle money, and donations, we were about $50 short, so in our minds, we pretty much broke even. And considering that NONE of us had ever planned anything that large before, we're pretty proud to be that close to breaking even on our first try.

Now, before you start yelling at us about charities, the exclusive pin set is going to be silent auctioned, and that money will all go to charity, so we will be fulfilling that part of our intentions.

We're glad you think that $30 was a bargain, and we're glad you had a good time. :)

6. mrsvos

mrsvos Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 18, 2005
    You did everything right.
    I like giving taxi rides to authors in my Hyundai[face_love]

7. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    It was definitely worth the $30, and I'm glad you pretty much broke even on it :)

The band was a bit loud, as has been said, particularly the drummer. It was great to have all the stuff for the raffles, but at times it seemed like whenever the band wasn't playing, Dingo had to be up there calling out ticket numbers. Maybe cut back on the raffles just a bit?

Overall, though, it was extremely well done and one of the highlights of my weekend :)

8. quigon70

quigon70 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 11, 2000

What did you enjoy most? Meeting new people from the boards and having a real honest conversation with them about their hopes, dreams, and star wars. the essential of what I really wanted out of the entire convention.

What did you enjoy least? The band demanding the crowd to love them. With music if it happens, it happens.

What do you think we should change? Nametags to help break the ice from the start. Maybe have a run through on all sound equipment earlier if possible. Some complained that it was Dingo's accent, I understood him just fine, it was the mikes that weren't working 100% Still my props go to the DJ/sound guy he had a lot of work/demands and I doubt that I could have pulled it off as well. I would have loved to have seen some sort of transportation provided for him to get back to his hotel for his hard work.

What do you think we should keep? loved the live feed you know what needed to be fixed there. having a celebration drink was a good idea. the raffle was great, it just didn't have signs telling what was what.

Any other thoughts/suggestions for improvement? I think it was well organized, well liked, and a good time to be had. granted having celebrity guests and having them take photos by the door probably wasn't the best idea to keep the doorway clear, but That can change with how the room is arranged/maybe have the banner in the back or backdoor entrance for VIP's

:tape

duct tape rules!

9. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    I'd like to give my opinion from the point of view of an organizer:

What did you enjoy most?
    Seeing everyone have a good time and knowing we helped facilitate it. The few times I got to stand back and watch what was going on I had a huge grin on my face and shook my head in awe. I've never been involved with something of this size and I am insanely proud of us. Meeting everyone that I've interacted with on the web all these years was awesome. While meeting the celebs was pretty wicked because they are pretty awesome, I wouldn't have traded them for anyone on here who came.

The night ended too soon. I didn't have time to meet everyone, nor did I have time to finish a conversation. Don't get me wrong, running around putting out fires was a lot of fun (not being sarcastic, it really was) but it would have been nice to be able to chat with more people longer. But at the same time meeting people early in the con meant I had friends to run into all weekend. I also felt bad putting all of my friends to work so they couldn't enjoy the party as much. Next time we'll rotate people out more.

Closer to the con center, with in a reasonable walk. When we signed the contract we didn't have any real idea how far the Wyndham really was. Maps can only tell you so much. Stagger the food more so there was more later. Better audio system in general. Now that we know what kind of crowds to expect and what type of room we will have we can plan the audio better. Also have a better ticketing system. Out of 450 or so people we had very few ticketing mishaps that I know of (less than 5). Still there's got to be a more efficient way to do it.

The general format I think works for us. We are a very welcoming group who takes all sorts and I think our party represented that. We're there to socialize and have a good time, and that's what we did. Personally, the band's music wasn't my taste, I like more classic rock, but they were pretty good and most importantly they had fun up there. We tried to find a balance between music and chat and I think it was decent. Is there room for improvement? Absolutely, but the things we tweek are small things in my opinion.

Mainly know that we're listening. We want everyone to want to come to our party and we really want to put FF/JC/TFN on the map with this sort of thing. I think we've done that but we want to keep doing that. As long as people here want to come then I want to help make it happen.

10. clonetrooper10

clonetrooper10 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 6, 2010
    The best part the party was meeting everyone, since I wore my forum badge alot of people said hi, which was great. The highlight of the night was getting my picture with the cast of Robot Chicken. And it was nice to finally win a raffle in my life.
    It was fun to voluteer my time for the party, it was shamed I didn't get to try any food. The food was gone when I went in.
    But overall the most important thing was meeting and laughing with all of you there.
    The band did play a little too loud for the most of our guest, but thats fine I was in the hall giving pins to all the guest and saying hi to all of them.

11. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    What did you enjoy most?

The people. So many really nice people, and it was great getting to meet them all there, because it would have been more difficult to do during the Convention.

Ummm. I don't really have any complaints.

I'm not sure. I think there was a little awkwardness with the lighting, because things started to get more relaxed when the lighting was darker, but then I also liked having the webcam, which needed the brighter lights. So I guess just...dimmer lights? I'm not sure.

The spring rolls.

Honestly I really don't have any complaints or suggestions for improving besides that lighting thing, which is so minor it shouldn't even be considered. It was really done perfectly.

12. Snootles11

Snootles11 Jedi Youngling

Aug 19, 2010
    New to the forums. My husband always listens to the podcasts, and I have only a few times, so I really don't know anybody here. However, we went to the party with our 2 kids (ages 8 and 11) and our friend and had a blast! Won a raffle prize, kids got an awesome picture with Dave Feloni, the meatballs were yummy, my son loved getting his caricature done, loved seeing the guests and...even though I don't really know who all of you key players are--you were all soooo nice and friendly. Star Wars fans really are a wonderful group of people on the whole! Thanks for the amazing time!
    Can't wait until next Celebration and the next Force.net party!
    -Kim (Snootles 11)
    (Mom of big kid on dance floor who didn't seem to care who was watching!)

13. jhc36

jhc36 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 19, 2003
    Good
    -The price
    -The raffle
    -The food
    -Stuff for kids (charicatures...)
    -Memoriam vid

Not as Good
    -Volume of Band
    -Sound (It was probably just the room, but it was very tough to hear the speaker)
    -Wish there was an introduction of some of the head guys/gals (mods...stuff like that). It's kinda nice to put a face with the username

Overall I had a great time and would definately do it again!

14. Fistofury

Fistofury Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 27, 2002
    I got there at 6:30p and stuck around for about an hour, it was pretty dead and I was too tired to keep my eyes open so I headed out. It sounded fun later and I wish I could have stayed. From my limited time there, it looked really neat and the food was good, but I was kind of bored.

15. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    You know what would be cool? A 'Sign in board' where you have a picture of your Icon and User name, and then a recent real photo so people can find you at the party.

16. ANGRY_LEIA

ANGRY_LEIA Jedi Master star 1

May 15, 2002
    Excellent idea! I loved meeting everyone at the table outside of party, nice to put a face to names I see so often on board.

I think the party was fantastic. The raffle was the high point for me...the suspense of "will I win?". Hahaha! I'm a greedy one, I am!

Bartenders were very nice, as were the people selling drink tickets. Food was good. I showed up a bit late and missed the band, would've liked to have heard them.

I really think you could charge more!

Martha

17. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
    If you're interested in the band, Sex Wing Starfighter's album is available for free download online! http://sexwingstarfighter.com/
    I said that a lot of times at the table.

What did you enjoy most?
    Meeting everyone, the caricature artist (um, I didn't get one done, but I liked the IDEA of him), CELEBRATION DRINK, James Arnold Taylor reading one of the raffle numbers in his Obi-Wan voice! The live feed up on screen was fun to read although maybe not always family friendly. Arlon's vlog intro made me lol.

Yeah, the sound system. The lighting was a little sporadic. The plant in the middle of the doorway. I didn't go home with Seth Green.

A slightly larger space with more seating would have been nice. Or larger tables along with the tiny ones. The standing tables were cool, but the way they were interspersed with the seated ones made it a little awkward to watch stuff on the screen. Some kind of crowd control to keep people from swamping the bigger celeb(s) would have been nice.

The raffle was great, a good combination of valuable collectible stuff and less valuable but cool stuff that was easier to win. Celebs were awesome, I love the Clone Wars guys. Having the banner out front was great for photo-ops and finding the party.

18. corran_r9

corran_r9 Jedi Master star 1

Dec 3, 2009
    I had a great time at the party! Everyone did such an amazing job in my opinion. It was nice meeting everyone!

What did you enjoy most?
    Just having a big Star Wars party outside of the convention!

Sound equipment wasn't that good, or maybe just the mic's.

Closer to the event would be nice! But really wasn't that bad cause it was so easy to get around. Maybe a longer party.

Doing a TFN/FF party for sure, raffles.

Any other thoughts/suggestions for improvement.
    Have the option of getting a "Hello my name is..." sticker at the door if you want to put your name/screen name on it. Thanks again to everyone who put the party on!

19. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    We actually did have that, it just wasn't obvious. Just as the party was getting into the full swing of things we had people go around with the name tags. We'll make it more obvious next time :D

Thanks for the feedback so far everyone! Thus far most of the things to change or what was liked the least are all stuff we knew about on some level already. That's a good sign to me. Please keep the feedback coming!

20. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    how about making an improvement on the camera. Maybe move it around a bit. Kinda get a news person feel for it at times. Maybe interview people and artists as well during certain times.

cause it got really boring just sitting there and no one in front of it. While I watched anyway. Plus it had a whoping eight people at the time.

21. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002
    We were all hiding - note that not everyone at the party wanted to be 'on camera'...

22. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    Hey, if you don't want to tell the boss where you are going then so be it. But its your rep that gets affected not mine. So let there be light.

23. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
    Maybe she was fine with her boss knowing but didn't want YOU to see her?

24. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    beez, the default is usually people get to stay off camera unless they consent to be on it, not the reverse.

That said, the idea of having someone walk around the room with the cam to talk to specific people who don't mind appearing on it isn't a bad one.

25. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002
    My Boss actually helped me make sure I had the time off and was able to fly for that weekend... [face_thinking]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.