main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The TFn / games forum SW Mods. Can you help?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by jp-30, Aug 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Given the number of skilled people who frequent theforce.net/games and the Games Forum, and the relative sucess (if somewhat late in the piece) of the JCN.GL Jedi Knight Mod, Katarnym, Night and myself would like to organise and host (on the TFn servers) some new Star Wars gaming mods made by and for us, the Games crew (if the mods get too big to host on the TFn server, then we'll probably turn to massassi and jediknightii.net).

The first thing to do is to come forth and let everyone know what skills you posess which can be useful in making game mods / scenarios.

The games that immediately spring to mind are;

Galactic Battlegrounds / Clone Campaigns custom scenarios
    Jedi Outcast mods (skins SP & MP levels)
    XWA Missions / Skirmishes

There may also be interest in Rebellion mods and Jedi Knight/ MotS mods.

Even if you are not skilled in game editing / scenario building you can certainly contribute ideas to JO MP arenas, SP levels, GBG scenarios etc. And of course we'll need Beta testers ;)

So first up, lets gauge an idea of interest in this proposal, and state what you can contribute;

I'll go first.

[color=green]
    [b]Games owned that can be modded[/b]

XWA, JK, Mots, JO

[b]Editing skills[/b]
    XWA - none
    JK / MotS: Expert modeller / skinner. Prefer making MP characters / skins.
    JO: Beginner. Prefer making MP Skins. Looking to learn to model for MP Characters / convert to Bots etc.

[b]Scenario ideas[/b]
    Can come up with good ideas for SP & MP JO levels, but would prefer others who can't contribute to the editing to come up with the ideas.

[b]Custom Sounds[/b]
    Prefer someone else to add custom sounds to my JO / JK models.

[b]beta testing[/b]
    Happy to help Beta test.

[/color][hr]

To those who wish to contribute JO SP & MP level ideas - don't bite off more than we can chew. Keep the levels small enough that the project won't get overwhelming. Like don't say "Do an Empire Strikes back TC" :p

OK, so what do you think of creating our own game Mods, and what can you contribute?

2. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    So, we get our own server finally? [face_shocked]

I...wanna...cry.

[image=http://bestanimations.com/Sci-Fi/StarWars/Emporer-01.gif]
    ~Sithman~

3. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    No. No JO server at this point, just space to host mods.

4. Dan

Dan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 15, 1999
    I have pretty much every decent SW game out there that can be modded, with the excepetion of GBG. I could voice act [face_tee_hee]) some sounds, or help contribute sounds if they are needed. And I'll be more than happy to beta test anything you guys come up with.

I have no skills with modding or skinning or anything, but I'll try to help out.

5. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    Dude, you were the first ever to hear the Sithy Song. You know it's clearly ME who has the voice talent.

~Sithman~

6. Dan

Mar 15, 1999
    No, that would still be Jade.

//44

:D

7. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    Games owned that can be modded

XWA, JK, Mots, JO

Editing skills
    XWA : Hardly any.
    JK / MotS: I liek WorldCraft 2.1, so hardly any.
    JO: Can do basic skins. Radiant literate.

Scenario ideas
    Good at producing. Creating a 200 page games universe called Trial and Error, but that's my idea. Good at writing action, comedy and drama sequences, amatuer Film-maker/Media Student.

Custom Sounds
    Can do any form of teh drama. Good at impressions, does brilliant Monty Python woman, Johnny Vegas and Japaneese impressions.

Beta testing
    I have a shoddy 56k line, you really don't wanna ask me. But willing.

Terrible Secret
    I CAN'T DRAW! :_|

8. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    [face_laugh] Agent 3....... :D

~Sithman~

9. Connemara

Connemara Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 18, 2000
    Games-

JK/MotS- I am learning how to design levels for JK. Maybe if we have a break in this stfling humidity I will get up the energy to continue editing. I woudl love to gain the skills to create quality levels. So far, though, I have cogs that don't work and shoddy cleavage (please, please no immapropriate comments, if you edit JK, you knwo what I mean). But i am getting there!

Rebellion- I dont' knwo hwo to edit it or anything, but I play it a lot

I also have Dark Forces, but it doesn't work right now, so I havce never tried editing it.

Sounds- Any of you remember "vengeance will be mine?" lol

Scenarios- I love writing. I can come up with soe good ideas here I think

Beta testing- Did this once with Howl. I'm not exactly experienced at it, though.

JP, I like this idea of yours. I hope I can conjure up enough energy to help out with it.

10. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    Ooh yeah, on the Beta testing front, I actually did that professionally once, Did a months work at Eidos Interactive last year.

11. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    "So, we get our own server finally?

I...wanna...cry. "

hmmmmmmm......

¤Night

12. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    !!!1

Uhh, err, I could try and beta anything. I have just about everything from Lucasarts in the past decade. Not all of it works or is installed.

13. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Night, if you got us a server for MP gaming, you would become an instant God.

14. Dan

Mar 15, 1999
    Night must be a very rich man, considering a really good server requires 1.5Mbps up and down for data transfer, not to mention the 486GB per month for the theoretical maximum data transfer total. :nerd

But if you do have it OR ANYTHING WE CAN USE FOR GAWD'S SAKE, spill buddy, because that will make you revered like none before you. ;)

15. Short Round McFly

Short Round McFly Jedi Youngling star 6

Nov 13, 1999
    I've been working on an idea since JK, but since JED was hard as hell I had to put it down, but now that I'm using Radiant, all is well :cool:

I was able to create a little of my map today and with JED I couldn't even create a quarter of what I created on this. Radiant is so easy and effective! The only thing that bothers me is texturing. Mostly because I have to import all of my custom textures 8-}

16. SoloCommand

Jun 15, 2001
    I was bought up on WorldCraft... I loathe Radiant... And now, everyone uses it... grr... it makes me mad.

17. SirLancelot

SirLancelot Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 10, 2002
    i had an idea to do a fan film with JO, but the time would be extreamly intensive and alot of experiance (which i desperatly lack) are both big deterents

18. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    As far as SP levels go, the initial spark for this whole Mod idea came when Katarnyn read this thread; " Should there be a Star Wars Villians Game?. Some of the ideas there could be developed further for XWA, JO or GBG. :)

And of course I am partial to this scenario coming to fruition [face_mischief].

19. Kartanym

Kartanym Jedi Knight star 6

May 23, 2002
    I think everything that I would have said has been done so by JP. Anyone with any type of idea just post them here and we'll dive into it saber first and see what we can do. That can be story arcs, characters, sounds, missions, anything that you think is important.

I'll be taking a shot at some scenario missions for Battlegrounds, so anyone with ideas there please pass them on.

I'll be back to check on this later, so keep those ideas coming.

20. Theron

Theron Jedi Master star 4

Oct 23, 2000
    I've made a few JO skins. That's about it.

21. Connemara

Nov 18, 2000
    Well, I have been working to learn JED (which I have heard is by far the best JK level editor, but I dunno) because I have had a series of levels in mind that I would some day love to create (this dream goes along with all my other distant castles in the sky such as being a fmaous director/actor, singing for the public, and being an accomplished pianist.). Maybe with some other people collaborating this can be a reality.

The story idea I have is based upong the adventures of a fictional Jedi (yes, yes, I know they are ALL fictional, but this is one I created) Katara Dodonna. I am also slowly but surely working ona fanfic about her, which involves her training and growing as a Jedi and a woman at the same (not an easy feat). The climax of the story comes when she must confront her evil Twin of the Force (my own invention, lol), Devlia. Anyone who still has the old JC.N GL skin pack will find the Devlia skin, created of course by JP as per my design.

Anyway, I am just laying this idea forward, because I think I can write a good script and plotline, but I need major help and practice with level editing. The snag I ran into before, while I was creating a practice level, was I ran into a problem and could not get anyone to help me. I went to the Massasi forums, where they offered little help, and the Massassi chat room, where they offered no help. But I woudl like to continue the editing, maybe I canf idn someone here on the JC that cna help.

22. Jedi_Nailbiter

Jedi_Nailbiter Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2000
    Games owned that can be modded: Jedi Outcast
    Editing skills: None whatsoever
    Scenario ideas: Sure, I can be creative. I could help alot with scenario ideas, if anything at all.
    Custom Sounds: How hard can that be? I could some sounds or whatever...I'm not like really talented or anything though.
    beta testing: I'd be glad to beta test. I'd help critique it and whatnot.

23. Connemara

Nov 18, 2000
    It's a hard, cruel world for JK editors these days :(

24. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    OK. So who wants a custom MP skin for a TFn/games - games forum Jedi Outcast skin pack?

I think the first project we can get started on is a skin pack. I know Theron has made a few skins, and others here are at the same stage I'm at.

At this time I am offering to make custom skins only (ie. I can't alter the model itself, except for removing accessories like Jan's belt, chaps, goggles etc). I prefer to make Star Wars themed skins. And am happy to try and use photographs to make characters look like the real you.

I'm presently turning Morgan Katarn into a old scruffy Corellian that looks like yours truly. Ideas are to stick your head on a Sith body, a Jedi Body, a Rebel Pilot suit etc...

So, if you want a custom JO skin, and it will work on an existing Raven mesh (or a custom mesh if I can get the author's permission to repaint it) write down ALL the details here, with links to reference photos etc. I'll start working on customising your skins and hopefully other skinners can join in - we can either split the workload, or work on our own versions of the same skin and make it like a contest.

25. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    I think i'll work on designing a custom mesh of myself. With any luck it should look cool. I dabble in CGI (making my own fanfilm) so I know I could do some levels when I get the chance, but organics isn't my main fortay. :D

¤Night

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.