The Thanksgiving Thread

Discussion in 'New Jersey' started by BellaSabrina, Nov 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BellaSabrina Jedi Master

star 4
    First of all, I'd like to say HAPPY THANKSGIVING to everyone! I'm sure you'll all be enjoying turkey (Roseanna & Natasha will be enjoying Morningstar Turkey or tons of veggies ;)) and all of that GOOD STUFF. I just finished making my casserole & a batch of brownies to bring to my Aunt's tomorrow.

So, what are your plans for Thanksgiving? Any traditions? What's on your menu?

My plans: Waking up and watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, cup of coffee in hand....snuggled under a blanket on the couch. Around 2-ish, go to my aunt's to be with the family. I'm sure football will be on. After dinner, we normally watch March of the Wooden Soldiers (it's a Thanksgiving STAPLE in my family) and some of us even fall asleep. Somewhere in there, we go for Round 2 on the turkey and all that food. After our bellies have rested, Dad breaks out the cheesecake & pies (that he made himself), and the apertifs/coffee/tea. Then....it's on home to sleep. Cause I gotta get up at 6am for work on Friday. I won't be able to watch my Horns mess up the Aggies though :(

The Menu: Turkey, stuffing, green bean casserole (made by me), turnips, mashed potatoes, yams, corn (everything besides the casserole, made by my father). For dessert, cheesecake, cheddar cheese crusted apple pie (made by my wonderful daddy), and probably a pumpkin pie that my aunt bought at Pathmark *rolls eyes*, oh...and MY BROWNIES :)

Again, Happy Thanksgiving guys :)
  2. MonaLeia Jedi Knight

star 2
    I always go to my grandmother's house for Thanksgiving. If I wake up early enough, I watch the parade but that doesn't always happen! ;) My mom is going to make pancakes, yay!

We go to my grandma's at 2 and we always have shrimp and appetizers in the kitchen when we arrive. There is always plenty of orange dry soda which is a favorite in my family. Then we move into the dining room for the big meal. The opening course is the family favorite - homemade manicotti! We're Italian, afterall. Then we eat the traditional stuff. None of us really like turkey but we all sample it to appease my grandmother and she makes mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, beets, stuffing, artichokes, peas, and other yummies. Then we have pumpkin and apple pie. And cookies. Yeah we eat a lot.

Around dinner time, she usually puts out cold cuts for anyone who might be hungry again but usually we're not too hungry! Heh.

One year, she decided to go more traditional and she made soup instead of manicotti and my family mutinied and searched the entire kitchen for them. She has never dared try that again!

Last year, she put too much bourbon in the sweet potatoes, LoL. We are not quite sure how it happened but me and my cousins were joking about how we were getting buzzed from them!

Thanksgiving is always an adventure in our family!
  3. starwarschick14 Force Ghost

star 4
    Every year we go to my grandparents' house, but this year is unfortunately different. My grandmother's sisters are coming into town and since she rarely gets to see them she's going to spend the day with them instead of doing the massive food preparations. So, it'll be a lot different this year. I'll just be at home with my sister and parents. My sister is also a vegetarian so we'll be sharing a Tofurky. :)

I'm not sure what's on the rest of the menu. I'll have to come back later with a post-dinner report. ;)

I hope everyone has a safe and happy Thanksgiving. :D
  4. DarthMoby Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm in for the usual family imbibing of holiday cheer, followed by the traditional holiday brawl. Truly fun time to be had for all those just watching.
    Happy Turkey day! :)
  5. LifeSabre Jedi Master

star 4
    Usually I'll sleep till about now, 11. Get up and get some bagels, then wait for dinner which this year will be turkey, ham, lasagna, some form of beef, meatballs, and all the trimmings... It will be a fierce battle with dinner but I hope to come out on top....I had some of my dad's famous lasagna on tues, but I lost that battle 1-0....I hope to be up 2-1 by the end of today but who knows

then i hope to settle down to watch some foosball
  6. DarthGyos Jedi Master

star 4
    I am giving up the Italian Thanksgiving to go to Marie's families house. So, in short I went from Antnees post to Marie's post.

~DG~
  7. BellaSabrina Jedi Master

star 4
    I had a hard time keeping Gary from the brownies I made last night. I'm sure he'll devour them later. Thank goodness I won't be eating dry turkey this year.

My dad's turkey = the fashizzle
  8. iycis Jedi Knight

star 3
    My dad took my sister to Diney World this week so it's just my mom, brother, and I. And we decided we're sick of having to do big family Thanksgivings so we aren't going to be having dinner with any relatives. And since none of us eat turkey we'll probably make stir fry and then spend the evening watching Harry Potter 3. :p
  9. BellaSabrina Jedi Master

star 4
    Can I come too?! I wanna watch Harry Potter 3!!!!
  10. hchristensenfan Jedi Master

star 4
    Harry Potter 3 is so good! :)
  11. XenoSphere Jedi Master

star 4
    Happy Thanksgiving! [face_love]

I'm just sitting around watching the Ewok movies I got on DVD yesterday(lol) with my little brother. Later I'm gonna eat turkey and watch some basketball. [face_love]
  12. Meriwyn Former RSA

star 4
    Usually I'm at Disney World this week, but this year the family trip was cancelled due to my cousin's upcoming wedding in the Bahamas in February. Sooo, we'll be back at the Mouse House next year...LOL.

But this year, it's a long time traditional Thanksgiving dinner at my house in NJ :)

And Marie...

My grandmother's stuffing recipe = the fashizzle ;)

Happy Thanksgiving NJO!!
  13. DarthGyos Jedi Master

star 4
    Brownies good.

Fire bad.

~DG~
  14. BellaSabrina Jedi Master

star 4
    Gary has a big giant turkey leg in the fridge for lunch tomorrow. My mom gave it to him without a fight. Me, I get a fight over it.
  15. Reaper63 Force Ghost

star 4
    Well, The Army known as my moms Side of the family came over to my parents house. between aunts, uncles, cousins, and second cousins, there were about 60 of us packed into 5 tables. taking up the living room and dining room. (yes, that is only one side of my family)

The menu was turkey (fish for the vegies there) Mashed Tators, Sweet tators. Turnips, Stuffing (both cooked in the Turkey and Veggie) Cranberries, Mushroomes, and a fewother goodies. All accompamied by Beer and wine, and then like 7 pies and cakes for dessert

Reminds me of my days in the Army lol,
  16. iycis Jedi Knight

star 3
    "(fish for the vegies there)"

Fish is a meat. Those who say they are vegetarians and eat still eat fish are not vegetarians. Just a clarification. :p
  17. DarthYJTyranus Jedi Master

star 1
    Hope you all had a good Thanksgiving. Since everyone else is doing it, I will go out on a limb and say my Mom's apple pie = the fashizzle! I ended my day by watching HP3. Good but the book needs to be read; they left out too much important info. Nice to know I won't be alone in owning the Ewok DVDs if Santa comes through for me!

JERRY T
  18. Meriwyn Former RSA

star 4
    The part about HP3 that really bothers me is they left out the whole backstory of Moony, Wormtail, Padfoot and Prongs. So that when Harry produced the stag Patronus, and he goes "hey it was my Dad!" everyone who hasn't read the book is like "huh??"

I wish they had kept that part in where Sirius tells Harry about their animal counterparts.
  19. BellaSabrina Jedi Master

star 4
    I am with you on that, Meri. I was like...ummmm they are FORGETTING IMPORTANT STUFF!
  20. hchristensenfan Jedi Master

star 4
    Regardless of the fact that they did leave out important parts (which I wish they had included) the movie was still good.
  21. iycis Jedi Knight

star 3
    I thought they might include more of those glossed over details in the deleted scenes, but sadly they didn't.
  22. DarthYJTyranus Jedi Master

star 1
    I watched the deleted scenes last night(when I FINALLY found them!), and they were very lame. I just try to look at the HP movies as companion to the books. The next 2 movies will inevitably leave out more stuff because the books are so long.

JERRY T
  23. hchristensenfan Jedi Master

star 4
    True, the longer the books, the more things will get left out.
  24. BellaSabrina Jedi Master

star 4
    I would hate to see things left out of Goblet. That's my favorite book, and there are MANY important things that they CANNOT leave out.
  25. hchristensenfan Jedi Master

star 4
    That's true, it's funny how this thread went from being about Thanksgiving to Harry Potter.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.