main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Theater

Discussion in 'Archive: Big Brother Strikes Back' started by COSLeiaOrganaSolo, May 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. COSLeiaOrganaSolo

COSLeiaOrganaSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 15, 2002
    I figured we needed a place to watch and discuss movies other than SW and Indy Jones so....................here it is!

Anyone see X2??????? If not, why are you here and not at the movies?

2. B'omarr

B'omarr Jedi Master star 6

Apr 7, 2000
    Good idea for a thread.

I caught X2 last Wednesday. I thought it was fantastic. In fact, after the movie, I had to form a search party for my socks, since they had been knocked off so thoroughly.

I went to see "A Mighty Wind" yesterday. It was alright. Not quite as good as "Best in Show", but a fun little movie. The Mitch and Mickey storyline was sweet. It seemed like everyone else was really supporting cast.

3. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    Yes, X2 was great. I've seen it twice already and fully intend to see it several more times.

I so want to see A Mighty Wind! My favorite of Guest's films in this genre is Waiting for Guffman. I liked Best in Show so I'm looking forward to Wind.

I rented Real Women Have Curves this weekend. I highly recommend it. A very sweet and funny movie - but you've got to pay attention, it does have subtitles!

4. B'omarr

Apr 7, 2000
    Oh yeah, my wife rented "The Truth About Charlie" over the weekend. It was so bad. I laughed at it, but I don't think it was supposed to be funny. I mean, the directing was some of the worst I'd ever seen. Lot's of unnecessary effects, and goofy 'fish-eye' type shots galore. Maybe it was supposed to be god-awful, in a funny way, and I didn't catch on. Although I'm usually pretty good about finding comedy in a pile of poop (xXx, for instance, is frikin' hilarious), there was no silver lining to Charlie.

5. Katya Jade

Jan 19, 2002
    Oh..good to know. Hubby wanted to rent that, but I wasn't really up for it. I'll let him rent that on his own. :p

6. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I'm seeing A Mighty Wind and Identity this weekend. Love Christopher Guest; and John Cusack, John C. McGinley, and thrillers in general.

I've always been a big X-Men fan, so I saw X2 already and plan on seeing it some more. It owned. Bryan Singer and crew are my heros (they did The Usual Suspects as well).

Although, I have to tell you, I have a tendancy to spell it theatre, even though that kind of applies to stage... I'm just too into theatre in general I guess to make the distinction :p

Like I said, I'm definitely a film buff (amph posters might know), so I'm not really into popcorn flicks or anything. I'd rather watch films like 8 1/2 or Psycho than xXx. Those *can* be fun to make fun of, but really I'd rather not watch them at all. Hmmm, film elitist :p

7. B'omarr

Apr 7, 2000
    But if it weren't for the bad films, we wouldn't appreciate good films as much.

By the way, I saw 'Identity' last weekend. Not a bad movie. Kind of gimmicky, but fun to watch. I doubt it will make anyone's top ten lists.

Geez, I see a lot of movies, don't I?

8. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Very true, B'Omarr. Very true...

My brother told me Identity was a good thriller, which is what I'm looking for right now. That, and my mind. Where is my mind?

//throws on Pixies music//

9. Katya Jade

Jan 19, 2002
    Yeah, we see a lot of movies, too, John.

This weekend:

X2
    Sniper2 (hubby's rental choice)
    Real Women Have Curves
    Two Weeks Notice
    Roxanne (on cable)

10. RidingMyCarousel

RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master star 6

Feb 20, 2002
    I still haven't even seen the original X-Men movie. Though, I have read the comic series.

~ James

11. Jedi Greg Maddux

Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 3, 1999
    I saw the original X-Men movie for the first time 3 weeks ago. Whenever I get the free time, I'll definitely check out X2.

12. Leonard_Shelby

Leonard_Shelby Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 31, 2002
    I love both of the X-Men movies. They rock. But I think X2 is vastly superior... ;) :cool:

I too go to the theater often. I plan on seeing X2 some more...and The Matrix...and Finding Nemo...and Kill Bill...and Hulk...and T3...you get the picture... ;) :p

13. B'omarr

Apr 7, 2000
    Thanks to 'A Mighty Wind' and 'Best in Show', Fred Willard is now my new hero.

[image=http://www.weta.org/pressroom/onstage/newhart/images/fwillard_311x400.jpg]

14. Oakessteve

Oakessteve Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 9, 1999
    I'm planning on seeing X-Men 2 tomorrow, so I hope I'll enjoy it! :D

15. B'omarr

Apr 7, 2000
    I had heard about a movie coming out this summer called "28 Days Later". I thought it was going to be a sequel to that Sandra Bullock romantic comedy movie that came out a few years back. It turns out to be a movie about English Zombies directed by the guy who did Trainspotting. Thank goodness.

16. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    B'omarr, Fred Willard is a hero, indeed. :D Oh, and I saw the trailer for 28 Days Later a while back... it looks really weird. It's about a guy who goes into a coma and wakes up, and the entire city is empty. Might see it.

17. Katya Jade

Jan 19, 2002
    Yeah, but doesn't it have something to do with zombies? I thought somewhere in that incredibly convoluded trailer that there was a mention of living dead stuff. Meh. Looks more like it would cause a headache rather than entertain.

18. B'omarr

Apr 7, 2000
    Zombie movies rock.

I took a visit over to aint-it-cool-news.com earlier (god help me), and there were some Matrix reviews. A few of them weren't too favorable, but they were very, very nitpicky. They said things like, "I was entertained for most of the movie, but why didn't they just do *this* or *that*". I have a feeling, much like TPM, Matrix: Reloaded could be a victim of its own success.

If I'm entertained, that's all a movie like that needs to be.

19. TheEmperorsHand

TheEmperorsHand Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 27, 2000
    I have a confession to make.... I have seen the first or the second X-Men movies :eek: :eek:
    I really want to though! I just never got around to it! :(

Oh, by the way, has anyone heard anything about the new Ewan McGrgor party coming out next week? Down With Love, I think it's called? We're going to go opening day I think, just because she wants to have an anti-prom type thing or something. It's not my prom this year, so why not ;)

20. Katya Jade

Jan 19, 2002
    :eek: Alison! I'd recommend renting X1 just to make sure you know who everyone is (provided you aren't too familiar with the comics). X2 is far superior to X1 with characterization, action and humor.

I've seen the ads for Down with Love and I'll probably see it just for the unique style of the film.

21. Leonard_Shelby

Leonard_Shelby Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 31, 2002
    Yep. Most definitely rent X1 before going to see X2. There's alot of stuff that is set-up in the first one that is explored in the second. And I must agree with Kate. X1 is really good...but X2 surpasses it on every level... ;) :)

22. TheEmperorsHand

TheEmperorsHand Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 27, 2000
    um, I actually don't even have a clue to what the story is in X-Men [face_blush] I never even saw the comics! :eek:
    er, ok I'll ask to rent that this weekend ;) before seeing X2 :p

I saw an article in the paper about Down With Love, and it didn't look half bad, and Ewan is in it so that's a plus ;)

23. B'omarr

Apr 7, 2000
    For some reason, I thought 'Down With Love' was a musical? Even if it's not, I've had enough of Rene Zelewegger for a while. Is it me, or does it look like she's constantly sucking a lemon?

24. Katya Jade

Jan 19, 2002
    Yes, Down with Love is a muscial. Yes, Renee Zellwhatever is overhyped and does appear to be a little "pursed".

25. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    no no no, DWL is NOT a musical. It's just a 60s style movie. Renee and Ewan sang a song for the credits, but that's it. I can't wait to see it, it looks fun and I love Ewan.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.