main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Theater

Discussion in 'Archive: Big Brother Strikes Back' started by COSLeiaOrganaSolo, May 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deltron_zero

deltron_zero Jedi Master star 6

Feb 1, 2002
    I caught X2 last night. It was a fun movie, a good popcorn flick, much like the first one. I think what impresses me most about the X-men movies is Singer's ability to capture the essence of the comic books on film. Just the way the shots are framed, I often find myself thinking, "Wow, that's straight out of the comic".

I'm pleasantly surprised to see more fans of Guest's "mockumentaries" here. A Mighty Wind still hasn't come here. But I never got to see Waiting for Guffman or Best in Show on the big screen either, so that's nothing new. And yes, Fred Willard is genius.

2. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah, X2 was indeed a great comic book, fun film. Bryan HAS done an excellent job. I love him [face_love] erm.. *cough*... anyway, I also love how the films actually show character developement over time and have interesting, comic book plots. As an X-Men fan, I'm loving it :)

I think AMW comes out here tomorrow, in which case, my bro and I will be seeing it this weekend. My friend in another part of the country tells me it's hillarious :D

3. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    Huh. I swear I thought Down with Love had some musical numbers. Anyhoo, I'll probably see it at some point, I'm in no rush.

Waiting for Guffman was by far my favorite. Of course, I'm in theater, so I'm biased. ;)

I'm sure I'll go see X2 again in the very near future. Now I'll start looking for more of the Easter Egg type stuff. :D

4. COSLeiaOrganaSolo

COSLeiaOrganaSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 15, 2002
    Several things in X2 made me think about SW. Ex.:The conversation between Jane/Wolverine, the whole Magneto/Pyro thing, and whenever Jane used her powers.

5. deltron_zero

deltron_zero Jedi Master star 6

Feb 1, 2002
    Yeah, I think Waiting for Guffman is my favorite as well. Guest and Levy are both at their absolute best, plus it has an appearance by my absolute favorite current comedian, David Cross.

"My Dinner with Andre action figures" [face_laugh]

6. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I haven't seen Waiting for Guffman yet. My bro has and says I need to. We'll probably rent it, among many others, this summer. We're movie buffs like that ;)

7. TheEmperorsHand

TheEmperorsHand Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 27, 2000
    I never really hear about movies outside of the big ones like X2 anymore. I'll probably get out a little more in the summer ;)

8. B'omarr

B'omarr Jedi Master star 6

Apr 7, 2000
    Here's a question for you movie-ites: Has anyone seen Cube 2 yet? I liked the first Cube movie, but I've heard hide nor hair about the second. Any input here would be bueno.

9. Leonard_Shelby

Leonard_Shelby Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 31, 2002
    Hmmm...I'm not sure, Watson...I don't think I've ever even heard of the first "Cube" movie... ?[face_plain]

10. B'omarr

Apr 7, 2000
    Cube is a bit weird. It's about this group of people who wake up, and find they've been placed in a cubed room. There's an exit in the center of each side of the room, 6 total, that connect to another cubed room. The problem is, some of the rooms are booby trapped. These people end up going through the cube and meeting each other, and try to peice together where they are and how to get out.

I'd classify it as a sci-fi movie, I guess.

11. Leonard_Shelby

May 31, 2002
    Wow...damn...that sounds pretty damn interesting...I may just have to rent that and check it out... ;)

I can't believe I've never heard of it before...who's in it and when did it come out? ?[face_plain]

12. B'omarr

Apr 7, 2000
    There's not really anyone famous in it. It was an indie flick made in Canada, I believe. It was made in 1997. Here's the synopsis according to imdb:

Six different people, each from a very different walk of life, awaken to find themselves inside a giant cube with thousands of possible rooms. Each has a skill that becomes clear when they must band together to get out: a cop, a math wiz, a building designer, a doctor, an escape master, and a disabled man. Each plays a part in their thrilling quest to find answers as to why they've been imprisoned.

The opinions at imdb on Cube 2 seem to be divided half-and-half, but I'd trust you's guys more (why am I typing with a Jersey accent?).

13. Leonard_Shelby

May 31, 2002
    Ah, cool...thanks. I'll have to check that out sometime soon... ;) :)

"but I'd trust you's guys more (why am I typing with a Jersey accent?)."

[face_laugh]

14. Katya Jade

Jan 19, 2002
    I vaguely remember hearing about The Cube, but didn't see it (obviously). Is it worth renting?

15. B'omarr

Apr 7, 2000
    Well, I would say it's certainly a better rental than this week's top rental: Two Weeks Notice.

Actually, I haven't seen Two Weeks Notice, so I really can't say that. But I've seen crappy Sandra Bullock romantic comedies, and I've seen crappy Hugh Grant romantic comedies, so I think I may be justified in my conclusion.

Seriously, check out Cube if you haven't. I can't guarantee you'll like it, at least you'll know what to do if you ever mysteriously wake up in a cube.

16. Katya Jade

Jan 19, 2002
    I rented Two Weeks Notice last weekend. It was so-so. If you're in the mood for a light, no-brainer comedy, it's okay. Typical Hugh Grant being a caricature of the British snob (unless that's how you guys really are ;) ) and Sandra Bullock being cute and klutzy.

I'd more recommend Real Women Have Curves. That was a surprisingly good movie that we got last weekend.

17. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I really want to see Cube. Have for some time. Might get to that soon...

Ok, so I saw A Mighty Wind and I was definitely laughing so hard I was crying sometimes. Eugene Levy was so freakin' hillarious! The movie was extra funny to me because I actually have relatives that are folk singers in Branson... and yes, I've been forced to go to Branson several times by the grandparents *shudder*

18. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Saturday, I finally had time to see The Godfather parts 1 and 2 in a row. :cool: As expected, uber-cool films.

19. B'omarr

Apr 7, 2000
    I've been wanting to go to Branson for the sole purpose of seeing Yakov Smirnoff. Then I found out that the only time he does a show is at 9:30 in the morning! :eek:

Old people.

20. Katya Jade

Jan 19, 2002
    In Branson, Yakov Smirnoff sees you!

[image=http://www.yakov.com/images/shopImg1.jpg]

21. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Now, which one is he? I've probably seen him. But once you've seen one, you've seen them all. The only good one's that fiddler guy, and you can only put aside the dancing cows so many times...

22. Katya Jade

Jan 19, 2002
    He's a Russian comic that made it big in the 80's Rachel.

23. B'omarr

Apr 7, 2000
    Yeah, since the whole fall of the USSR and collapse of the Russian Communist society, I've been curious if he still sticks to the "Russia is cruel" schtick.

24. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Guess who's seeing an advanced screening of The Matrix tonight? Oh yeah, yours truly :cool: 10pm baby. I'm psyched :D

25. Katya Jade

Jan 19, 2002
    Me too. On IMAX. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.