main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Theater

Discussion in 'Archive: Big Brother Strikes Back' started by COSLeiaOrganaSolo, May 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediPrincessKas

JediPrincessKas Jedi Master star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I love Steve Martin. He's so funny.

2. B'omarr

B'omarr Jedi Master star 6

Apr 7, 2000
    I haven't seen 'Dead Men...' in a long long time. I rented it back in college when I was on a Steve Martin kick. I've got it confused with his other movies now, The Man with Two Brains, The Jerk, etc.

25th Hour wasn't too bad. Certainly not an uplifting film. I liked the basic story, but it seemed like the characters weren't fleshed out that great. I'd recommend it, but I probably won't go out of my way to see it again.

3. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah John, it's not uplifting ;) I just loved a lot of the directorial things about it. Oh, and I thought Ed was good :D

I haven't seen "Dead Men..." yet, but I really want to. I love Steve Martin. I've been to his house and taken pictures. Twice. ;) I'm not a stalker! He lives up the street from my Bro's college. It was so funny last time because his gate was open and we were like "He's SO going to come out and wonder why there's a van with three generations of fans taking pictures of his mailbox!" [face_laugh]

The first time I saw The Godfather I watched it in one sitting, no bathroom breaks. Then I watched The Godfather, Part II in the same fashion right after that ;) My bro's getting the DVD set maybe today, which I'm excited about. I want to see the third one, too.

4. B'omarr

Apr 7, 2000
    I've seen the first Godfather movie, and most of the second. But I've never enjoyed gangster movies a great deal, so I never enjoyed the Godfather series either. I didn't like Goodfellas much too.

You know what type of movie genre I miss? The noir dectective story. There aren't too many of those done anymore. The Usual Suspects, and the first Scream movie come to mind as good "whodunit" type movies, but the genre is as good as dead.

I'm trying to decide whether to rent a movie tonight, or waste the night away with video games. The wife is out at a work function, so I'm home alone.

[image=http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/975000/images/_978449_home_alone.jpg]

5. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    KEVIN! ... ;)

Yeah as far as noir goes, the pure form is dead. But The Usual Suspects, Memento, and L.A. Confidential are all examples of good Neo-Noir, which is one of my favourite genres. Ok, it's my favourite probably :p

6. Leonard_Shelby

Leonard_Shelby Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 31, 2002
    Rachel, you've just effectively listed three of my most favoritest noir flicks of all time. You've got great taste... ;) :D

7. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    You do as well ;) Here's the best approximation of a top 10 I can put together for me:

1 TUS
    2 Psycho
    3 Fight Club
    4 Memento
    5 Swimming With Sharks
    6 ESB
    7 Raiders
    8 Donnie Darko
    9 Jaws
    10 The Sting

8. B'omarr

Apr 7, 2000
    I'm noticing a Guy Pearce/Kevin Spacey theme going on around here....

Wow, The Sting. I'm impressed. Have you seen Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid? Newman and Redford are fantastic in that one, I like it a little better. ;)

9. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    Good list, Rachel. I love Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. It's just so well done and their chemistry and humor are unmatched.

10. JediPrincessKas

Aug 9, 2002
    I've never seen Butch Cassidy... [face_blush] I know. I'm so uncultured. :(

I did, however, watch Save the Last Dance with my mom last night. I [face_love] that movie. :D

11. JediPrincessKas

Aug 9, 2002
    I love the Lethal Weapon movies. :D But I always thought that Butch Cassidy was like, some sort of serious movie or something.

12. B'omarr

Apr 7, 2000
    No, there's a lot of lighthearted humor in Butch and Sundance.

We watched it in my film lecture class in college and got to over analyze the crap out of it. The movie is all about change, and our professer said that since it was released in 1969, it was about the closing of the decade and the passing of a torch to a new generation.

We also watched Blade Runner in class. :D

By the way, Finding Nemo is around 99% fresh at RottenTomatoes right now, with 84 reviews posted. :eek:

13. JediPrincessKas

Aug 9, 2002
    Never seen Blade Runner either. :p

What is RottenTomatos? And this "freshnesss" deal? I don't quite understand.

14. B'omarr

Apr 7, 2000
    Rottentomatoes is a website that compiles all the major critics opinions on movies, if the more critics that like a movie the "fresher" it is. They have a freshometer at the site too. I like saying freshometer.

15. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Of course I've seen Butch and Sundance :D I love that movie. I don't have a copy of it myself yet though. It's hard to find around here on DVD :( I think I like 'The Sting' a little bit more because I saw it first, and I just fell in love with that movie at a young age.

Kevin Spacey and Guy Pearce? I have no idea what you're talking about, honestly John.

*watches LA Confidential*

16. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I finally got to see Identity!!! :D It was just as awesome as I'd thought it would be. For someone who loves thrillers, it was great. I didn't think the ending was gimmicky like some might, but rather thought it just made the film more interesting. The director did a good job of throwing you off and keeping the tension perfect. I want that movie on DVD! Also, John C. McGinley was perfect as the nervous husband character. He's a great character actor. And John Cusack *sigh*... wonderful actor, and oh so nice to look at/listen to anytime :D ... sorry, I'm shutting up preemptively

17. Katya Jade

Jan 19, 2002
    Yep, I need to see that one. We're going to see Finding Nemo today. :D

18. B'omarr

Apr 7, 2000
    Wow, I saw Adaptation over the weekend. That was a phenomanol film. And that Chris Cooper...what a character.

So "The Orchid Theif" is a real book and Charles Kaufmenn actually wrote himself into the script? I loved how the movie took a hug turn once Charlie supposedly brought Donald on board to help write the script. At first is was a movie about insecurities, then it turns into a love affair with drugs and a chase scene!

Also, didn't Donald's script "The 3" sound like the plot to Identity? :eek:

19. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    What happened was, in real life, Charlie was supposed to adapt The Orchid Thief (a real book) into a movie. As he was writing it, he started writting himself into the story. So basically Adaptation is about the adaptation of The Orchid Theif into the movie Adaptation ;) I noticed how it got all Hollywood as soon as Donald came on board too, very funny!

And I had heard someone else mention that 'The 3' sounded a whole lot like 'Identity'. It does, but it's got to be purely coincidence. Neither one could have copied the other, since they were written about the same time, and Identity was a take on '10 Little Indians' by Agatha Christie.

What's even stranger, to me, is that the plot of 'Identity' is very similar to the way I was going to end the novel I'm writing originally. I have a somewhat different ending now, which in retrospect is good because I don't want people to think I'm trying to copy Identity. SPOILERS!!!!!! I hate the fact that Identity had to deal with DID, only in the aspect that this is what my book deals with, only in a more realistic and less abstract way. It just makes me seem less original, darnit! :p ..... END SPOILERS!!!

20. B'omarr

Apr 7, 2000
    I know what you mean, Rachel. Like I said in the artistic thread, I'm re-writing a story I originally wrote back in 97 that was a real world update of "The Hobbit". Now it seems much less original since the Cohen brothers have done the same concept in "O Brother Where Art Thou", updating the Odyssey. Those punks.

The Animatrix is out on DVD today. I'll be picking up a copy latre. Yeah!

21. Leonard_Shelby

May 31, 2002
    Enjoy Finding Nemo today, Kate. I went to it yesterday...it's friggin' fantastic! :cool:

22. Katya Jade

Jan 19, 2002
    I didn't get to see it this weekend. :( I'll have to try again this Saturday. I'm so looking forward to it.

23. Leonard_Shelby

May 31, 2002
    Ooops....I thought you made that earlier post today....[blunt_face] [face_blush]

24. TheEmperorsHand

TheEmperorsHand Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 27, 2000
    A few people were talking about that movie in my classes today. I had thought it sounded kind of silly, but they all loved it. I'm slightly inspired to see it now :p Maybe I will sometime ;)

25. Leonard_Shelby

May 31, 2002
    I hear ya...but it really isn't silly. It's a pretty humorous and touching father/son story. It's fantastic. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.