main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Arena The Theist/Atheist Thunderdome™

Discussion in 'Community' started by Harpua, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Yeah, that's what I was getting at. Pulsar's "I'll pray for you" came across as condescending, and not in the least bit sincere.

2. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    i cant recall ever having snarky "prayers" directed at me. i find "god bless you"s and "you're in my prayers" and the likes to be sweet things to say. cultural context, holmes/thought that counts, etc

3. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I've had one person say they were praying for me, but it was totally sincere, so I didn't mind.

4. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
  5. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    in that instance the 'my faith demands that' is a type of motivator, I guess, but it's not strictly necessary. you could begin that sentence at the first 'I' and the sentence still works and would describe many atheists.

6. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

No, I know, but I don't think there are many who could begrudge Jimmy Carter for his faith-based initiatives -- and that it's a large part of his belief system.

There are clearly bad things that come out of religion, but to paint everyone in a religious-belief set as horrible people is the same as lumping all atheists in with the piece of trash in NC, isn't it?

In other words: "Can't we all just get along?"

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  7. Hank Hill

Hank Hill Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 9, 2013
    You can never doubt how stupid Fox news and it's viewers really are!!!!!

8. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Well, yes, I'm okay lumping all those people together... lol///

9. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    You don't need faith to be a good person and do good works. Claiming to do good only because your faith demands it shows that you're not a good person to begin with.

Jedi Daniel likes this.
  10. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Very insightful, timmo.

Ender Sai and Rogue1-and-a-half like this.
  11. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    If only the quote included the words "for whomever I can" then it would be a truly positive statement expressing the good things that come from religious faith. Otherwise it's just a "I look after my own" but teh gays and the unwed mothers can all go to HELL! Having said that I do love Jimmy Carter.

12. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    remember this guys?

Ender Sai likes this.
  13. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    definitely agree. certainly there are many people who use their faith as a source of inspiration to do good in the world (most of my family, for one) and i don't have any problem with that; it's just that i think, on the whole, religion ultimately does more harm than good, and that (most) of the people who do use their faith positively could certainly be just as positive without it.

Ender Sai and timmoishere like this.
  14. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I took the "wherever I can" to indicate that he helps all different kinds of people.

15. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    I don't think he actually said "wherever I can" he said "wherever I am" but perhaps you mean "whenever I can"? I know I went cross eyed too.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  16. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    It does start to read like Dr. Seuss after a few times.

SuperWatto and Rogue1-and-a-half like this.
  17. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    He said both, but Guy nailed it... it had a very Dr. Seuss feel to it... like, kind of insincere and cliché.

18. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    No, you're right, I did misread it . . . I think your original point stands as "wherever I am" is a lot different than "wherever I can." But, yeah, I'm kind of starting to feel like the rest of you. Sentiment is good, but, seriously, **** that noise.

SuperWatto likes this.
  19. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    No, **** your noise, because this is a guy who has actually lived by those words.

He has spent his entire post-presidency pretty much doing nothing but helping people, mostly poor people, including Africans (actual Africans) and Vietnamese, criticizing the Guantanamo Bay prison, Bush and the Iraq war, the War on Drugs or whatever it's called, the death penalty, his fellow Christians for being hateful in general but specifically toward women, and the rest of his time has been spent pursuing peace all over the world, including the Middle East, North Korea, and all over Africa and South America.

"Wherever I am" means all over the world, which is where he's been. He didn't say "whomever I can", but that just happens to include all kinds of people, basically everybody.

I'm not saying he's perfect, but come on, you cannot deny this guy's life has been dedicated to helping people, regardless of their religion.

20. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Speaking for myself, my post wasn't a comment on Jimmy Carter's character.

21. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    I think you've worked yourself up over a bit of nothing. Everyone here is talking about how the quote sounds, not whether or not Carter is a good person.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  22. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Jimmy Carter pretty much exemplifies that quote about 'if all you Christians were more like your Chriat.'

I wish faith motivated more people to do what Carter has done as opposed to being discriminatory.

But I'm not about to question the validity of any motivation that drives a man like that. He'd probably still be a great person if he wasn't a Christian but I'm not sure that matters.

23. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    No, **** your noise, because the man was President of the United States so you'd expect him to know how to express a thought so that it's clear (lol bush lol). The man's done a lot of good in the world. It's the "noise" I'm objecting to, ie. the silly way he phrased the sentiment. How about just "I do all the good I can." Everything else really kind of falls under that, doesn't it? It doesn't have the charm of initially looking very clever, but it also doesn't have the problem of eventually seeming really strange and head-ache inducing and confusing.

Maybe he's your personal hero; that's cool, he's a really good one to have. I was just having a little fun.

24. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  25. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Well, that's not entirely true for some people, is it? Otherwise organizations like Alcoholics Anonymous. Al-Anon, etc. wouldn't be as successful as they are. Humans sometimes need structure, organization and support to have a normal life, right? Is that really so hard to believe that some people find that and do good with religion (or atheism)? Or do evil with both?

Even something as basic as therapy is necessary for people, regardless of whether they have actual clinical mental issues. Why do we label people using faith for the same thing as somehow "lesser," providing they are not harming other people?