main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Arena The Theist/Atheist Thunderdome™

Discussion in 'Community' started by Harpua, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    This is off-topic a little bit, but is there any way to add multiple items to your religious preference on Facebook?

2. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Just call yourself indecisive.

3. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Do you believe in UFOs, astral projection, mental telepathy, ESP, clairvoyance, spirit photography, telekinetic movement, full trans-mediums, the Loch Ness monster, and the theory of Atlantis?

4. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Did you read the opening post? I'll repost for you (minus the list of gods)

5. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    I did, I just didn't realize I couldn't just come in here and simply comment on something without it turning into a big thing. Like a lot of the posts that were posted before I came in.

6. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    yeah, people willing to defend the religious point of view are severely outnumbered in this thread. it's basically a social thread for atheists and skeptics until a christian shows up and then they're given the third degree by the mob. i mean it's not wrong, it's just the demographic of the thread. but it's not like everyone new to the thread is in for the same rude awakening, that's pretty much only if you defend a christian point of view.

Debo likes this.
  7. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    I want atheist, humanist, and pastafarian.

8. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Atlantis doesn't seem entirely far-fetched.

9. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

If there's a steady paycheck in it, I'll believe anything you say.

10. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    This is a pretty accurate assessment. I guess it depends on the approach taken. People like Woicky, Rogue1.5, and some others have done fine here.

11. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    This thread was started as a low-brow version of actual religious discussions, just as the "Derp" thread was started as a low-brow alternative to actual political discussion. I would recommend the Christianity thread to those that want to talk about the religion thoughtfully from a perspective that it tends to accept its central tenets.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  12. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I think it's the defense of the most absurd and outrageous version of the Christian point of view that has gotten that reception here.

13. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    yes, but those guys are old hats at the jcc. for christians who are new to the thread and also new to the forum in general it's got to be hard to find a footing. and i think people are quicker to jump on people they don't know. again, it's just that the forum skews more atheist and i'm not sure what could be done about it or that anything should be done about it. just laying it out there.

14. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Wocky's suggestion is a pretty good one. This thread wasn't really intended to be a place for discussion of Christianity... we have a Christianity thread for that. This was supposed to be a thread for discussion of religion and atheism in general. It's just that this forum seems to be polarized between Christians and Atheists, with a few exceptions, like Merk.

Wocky's Christianity thread:
    http://boards.theforce.net/threads/christianity-discussion-thread.50014090/

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  15. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i mean that thread hasn't been posted in in almost a year, so it's not like there's an ongoing conversation to join. if a new one starts it might very well play out like the discussions in this thread. i thought this thread was started because religious debates were derailing a bunch of threads that were ostensibly about something else. i think it's been effective in that regard, at least we can say "take it to the thunderdome" if a religious debate randomly breaks out in a thread about gun control.

but whatever, i'm not even arguing for anything really and i don't mean to come across as negative. just pointing out what i see as a double standard with regards to how people should expect to be treated when they enter this thread.

16. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Yeah. this thread was started in order to deal with moviefan.

17. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    ...and his "for a Christian, Jesus is everywhere" stuff that permeated every ****ing thread in the YJCC.

18. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

And ASR?

19. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    We also needed a Holocaust denial thread for him.

20. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    This thread has taken the place of the old Senate Atheism thread, which has gone through four incarnations because they all ran out of control. They typically ran out of control when a religious zealot set up camp. But in this old thread, atheists would at least not be guilty of tom's charge. It was a thread for atheists. Zealots entered at their own risk.

21. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    If this is a thread to basically make fun of Christians, I am okay with that to a certain degree, because I am very critical of my own ilk. There are a lot of Christians out there with the intellectual capacity of a flightless parrot.

22. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001

You should've see this thread when I first created it, there were Christians trying to get it shut down and that I was being a horrible person for making it, etc. It was awful. I'm glad we can curb stomp Christians in this thread now because before it was really annoying. I do believe Darth_Mischievous and Bubba_The_Genius were the biggest whiners. So be proud: it wasn't always like this.

23. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    lol... but I didn't create this thread with the intention to "curb stomp" Christians. I just wanted to put a stop to every thread being derailed by religious debates... and at the time, it was happening almost constantly (not sure if you ever encountered moviefan, but he was pretty bad about it).

24. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    You and I both have memories of the predominant opinion on the Senate Floor being "homosexuality is bad because reproduction, yo" as well as "gay men have the same rights as straight men, the right to marry women", so I get it, and I think we're on the same page as far as discussion being vastly improved since then.

But this particular thread was started over moviefan getting his preach on in more than half the threads on the front page of this forum (as well as ignoring so many users who disagreed with him that he made his user name into a verb: "moviefanning" a thread now means "putting all dissenting posters on ignore").

25. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Moviefan hasn't completely disappeared. He 'liked' one of my posts in the Prequels forum last week.