main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Arena The Theist/Atheist Thunderdome™

Discussion in 'Community' started by Harpua, Jan 29, 2014.

1. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    That way lies Ender...

2. RC-2473

RC-2473 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 14, 2015
    hey everyone I am an atheist let's chill okay?

3. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
  4. RC-2473

Mar 14, 2015
    that's cool I'm still gonna chill though.

5. RC-2473

Mar 14, 2015
    that's cool but I'm still gonna chill though.

edit:

unintentional double post.

6. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    That's God's fault

7. RC-2473

Mar 14, 2015
    yeah.

maybe I should stop chilling and start going on angry, nonsensical, rants, eh?

8. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Hey, wannasee (or his twin) ... it's been a while.

9. Jedsithor

Jedsithor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 2005
    Ireland has legalised same-sex marriage by enshrining it in the constitution via referendum. As I type this, the votes are still being counted but the trend is clear and it's looking like a major landslide upwards of 70% voting in favour with Ireland becoming the first country to legalise same-sex marriage by popular vote. This is a major shift for a country that was once effectively ruled by the Catholic Church. The Church of course called for a No vote but a number of individual priests broke ranks to call for a Yes vote with one priest even coming out as gay during Mass.

10. RC-2473

Mar 14, 2015
    is this directed at me? who is wannasee and how are we similar.

(y) @ Ireland legalising same-sex marriage.

11. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  12. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  13. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    As someone who believes the earth was "created" I agree with this wholeheartedly.

14. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  15. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  16. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
  17. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    I saw read that article earlier. Good points. And just for the record, I love atheists and agnostics! Lol. I listen to Neil Tyson quite often. I personally am considered a panentheist by some and a transtheist by others, but a lot of people think I'm atheist because I don't really care what happens after death and it could be just blank nothing like atheists say. It's how we treat other people that matter, regardless of what we believe.

Anyhow, same-sex marriage is awesome. The more states and countries that legalize it will be potential destinations for me, since I only intend to marry a fellow woman. Ha ha.

It is so true that women get tired of how certain men are in churches. And it's not just conservative churches. Even in liberal churches that have lots of people who don't believe in Hell or Satan...they got sexist issues in them. I mean, First Methodist Fort Worth is a prime example. It has thirteen ministers, and five of them are female. But they have almost no say in most things. The two male ministers in charge are basically dictators. The sexism of Paul in the New Testament is clear. On the one hand, he thanks the women who helped him travel and who owned certain churches, but then he orders women to dress a certain way in church and he says, "I suffer not a woman," to say that women can't be church leaders. Sexism is rampant in Christianity, though it's neither as pervasive nor obvious as it used to be. But, yeah. You'll meet many "believers" who profess to be feminist and don't really know what it is. I've met some Unitarian Universalist leaders and Episcopalian leaders who are truly feminist, but not that many.

Millennials ditch religion for many good reasons. They can't stand how various religious leaders persecute LGBT individuals and so on. Plus, even if someone admires liberal theology, liberation theology, etc., there just ain't that much around. I do appreciate the Unitarian Universalists because many of them are humanists more than anything else. They don't care if a person is an atheist or a believer in some type of faith. They let anyone join. In fact, I went to one Unitarian Universalist church and it was pretty much led by agnostics and secular humanists. It was awesome. I watched a documentary about atheists on CNN. It was great. I liked the preacher who came out as atheist and then founded his own atheist community where he could preach compassion and encouragement and sing Beatles songs. I like Dawkins and a quite a few atheist leaders. I can't say I like Sam Harris. I think he's the atheist Sarah Palin. I don't think he's dumb, but he wouldn't hesitate to bomb some of the same countries if he were president that Sarah Palin would bomb if she were in charge.

Abadacus likes this.
  18. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  19. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    "Maybe the United States didn't start as a Christian nation, just like France didn't start as a Muslim one..."

20. redlightning

redlightning Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2014
    Does anyone know if there is a denomination of Judaism or Christanity which teaches the story of Noah as a regional flood of a man gathering his own farm animals into a craft, rather than pairs of animals from all over the planet and a global event? It would be interesting if there is such a thing.

21. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  22. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  23. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  24. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  25. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    Interestingly one and half of those questions is actually scientifically valid. The woman who asked about metamorphosis is asking a valid question. The one who mentions Noetics is half vaild. Noetics is, as everyone knows, the idea that the mind can influence reality. Clearly on a macro scale the evidence for this is, to say the least, sparse, but it does appear to work on the quantum level.