main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Arena The Theist/Atheist Thunderdome™

Discussion in 'Community' started by Harpua, Jan 29, 2014.

1. slightly_unhinged

slightly_unhinged Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    My god is Crom. He laughs at your gods, strong in his mountain.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

2. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Ah, but my God is the 4 winds. He is the everlasting sky. Your God lives beneath him.

3. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Yo Jedi Merkurian, just wanted to say I have some respect for the Baha'i faith, for your faith. I don't think I ever even heard of it before I saw you mention it. Seems like every time you mention it my respect for it goes up. So thanks for introducing me to it.

Religion isn't my thing, but I can respect and easily get along with your faith.

4. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    It's like every time Merk posts something about Baha'i I'm all "Man this is some chill stuff and Merk is a swell fellow, this seems like something I can be totally fine with" annnnnnnnnd then I remember the **** I read on the "Homosexuality and Baha'i" Wikipedia page.

harpua and CT-867-5309 like this.
  5. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    I agree completely. The Baha'i faith is really a perfect example of how religion can be a good thing if it is done in the right way. Any faith that teaches tolerance, understanding and universal kindness has my support.

edit: I read that wikipedia page as well and thought it was OK - disapproves of homosexuality but doesn't promote exclusion and persecution of homosexuals like other religions.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  6. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Meaningless honeyed words not backed up by facts. People in same-sex marriages are not permitted to join the faith and there's a belief that "homophobia" shouldn't be a word because it "unfairly" suggests that discrimination against gay people is appalling. I refuse to give that a free pass and I am not going to pretend it doesn't grossly offend me just because it's better about it than, say, Catholicism is.

V-2, Abadacus, Point Given and 3 others like this.
  7. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Hmm. Did not know that. Rather disappointing.

I actually made sure to say "your faith" when talking about Merk, because I wasn't sure what the Baha'i faith was really about, because I didn't know much about it. Merk seems to support homosexual marriage in the USA, IIRC. So I put the emphasis on Merk's faith, because maybe his faith is better than the Bahai' faith in general. Sorta like how some Christians sorta rise above the hatred involved with their religion and the Bible.

8. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    Fair enough - dammit, this is what happens when I try and defend religion, I'm invariably wrong and have my facts messed up!

V-2 likes this.
  9. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I guess it's an important object lesson. Religions have their particular ethical codes. The point is not that one or all of them should accept or disapprove of all the same things an individual might. That's part of what makes them distinct. Rather, the goal is to find a way for religions to be humane to even those that are outside its circle of belief--or, worse, firmly inside its heresies and offenses. I think that if we're talking about merely barring membership, that's actually quite reasonable in terms of compromises with the public space.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  10. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    To be fair to Merk I distinctly recall him mentioning that he did not necessarily agree with everything the Baha'i have to say on the matter of same-sex relationships.

Actually, let me not undersell him, here's an old quote of his from the archived Senate Baha'i thread:
    I guess the point I was trying to make (Angrily, because... I was angry, dammit :p) is that I find the version of Bahaism that Merk practices to be a very agreeable one, just as I find the version of Christianity that Rogue-1.5 practices to be a very agreeable one. But blanket pronouncements are dangerous things.

11. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I used to go to the Unitarian Universalist church in my town when I was growing up, and there were a few guys who practiced Baha'i Faith who were members. For those of you who don't know, the unofficial flag of the Unitarian church is the LGBT flag. Suffice to say, those particular followers of the Baha'i Faith were open to accepting homosexuals.

I know it's just a personal anecdote, but I like to think there's plenty of outliers among certain other faiths who hold less dogmatic views on their particular religion's beliefs/tenants.

12. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    I havent checked out the wiki page on the subject, but it would probably be best discussed in the Homosexuality thread, unless someone wants to perform necromancy on either the Inter-Faith Chapel or Baha'i threads.

13. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I am in love with the title and subtitle of this woman's blog, and this entry is spot-on.

Kim Davis is no hero

14. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    I was introduced to Baha'i in high school. I don't live too far from Evanston, IL which is where their North American temple is, and checked it out with a friend of mine who was a Baha'i. He even dragged my ass to their youth conference at IU one summer too. It never took but they were really nice normal people who even in their religious conferences never once tried to push their religion on me and I enjoyed my time there.

Edit: He wasn't pushing it on me either, he just wanted someone to go with him.

15. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    A good friend of my son's is Baha'i and I've gotten to know the family pretty well. They are some of the most peaceful, non-pushy people I have met, and definitely not homophobic.

16. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Why? This is a multi denominational thread. No reason why it shouldn't be discussed here.

17. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    Because it is particular to homosexuality? I mean, we can have the convo here if folks want, but I figured that since the topic was homosexuality, and there's a thread for that...

18. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    .... and religion.

19. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    Hey, I didn't want people to think I'd "forgotten" about this. I'm typing with my thumbs, so I'm sorry if it gets mispelled or incoherent in places :p

Anyways, in my learning about the Baha'i Faith and becoming a Baha'i myself, I've found it to be logical, consistent, and "right." It is not without challenges though; however, those challenges all pertain to living up to the high standards of virtue as laid out by the Writings. A tough one for me personally, for example, is to be devoid of political partisanship [face_mischief]

Anyways, like the above quote of mine suggests, I have trouble following the logic of the Faith's position on gay marriage. That is to say (at least as far as I understand), that the rules of the Faith only find sexual expression acceptable within the confines of marriage,and marriage is only between one man and one woman.

I (personally) don't get the one man/one woman stipulation, as some people just are gay; in that light, I think God created them that way, and for people to say that anyone should be anything other than who God made them to be seems...wrong...to me.

Even so, the position is not so cut and dried as say...the US religious right. For example, the Writings have indicated that to single out gays for particular ire is "ridiculous and absurd." Moreover, as far as I understand, while gay marriage is not recognized as valid in the eyes of the Faith, the state of being gay does not bar anyone from becoming a Baha'i any more than being a smoker (for example). Additionally, for individual Baha'is or the institutions of the Faith to pry into an individual's personal affairs is prohibited, nor are we permitted to be judgmental about anyone; we have a saying, "That's between you and God."

Likewise, Baha'is are told to follow the laws of the land. In fact, one of the Writings (as I interpret them) says that even if you think a decision is wrong, abide by it; it's better to be unified and totally wrong than have division, dissent, and disharmony. The Writings suggest that if we're truly unified, but wrong, God will make the right course of action obvious.

So long story short, even if I don't quite comprehend the reasoning behind the guidance, that the institution providing guidance is "the source of all good and free of all error," and so I'll abide by that guidance. So that means I endeavor to love everyone and judge no one.

Even those on the far right :p

Todd the Jedi likes this.
  20. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
  21. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    lies planted by Satan in the fossil record and elsewhere specifically designed to deceive us? Where there's intelligent design, there's always active counter-intelligence.

22. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    COUNTER-GODINT...

Jabbadabbado likes this.
  23. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Let me explain the mid set as I have seen it first hand. My nephew says to me that he was reading about evidence showing that a large body about the size of Mars hit the Earth and the debris that settled prodeuced what would still be Earth and Earth's Moon. A family member sat smiling in doubt says, "Phhht, God made it and put it there."

So no matter what the evidence is that evidence will be ignored and in fact scoffed upon.

24. slightly_unhinged

slightly_unhinged Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
  25. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Or viewed as a conspiracy by Satan to distract from God's Word.

Not making that up. I've heard it.