main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Arena The Theist/Atheist Thunderdome™

Discussion in 'Community' started by Harpua, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    By definition, anyone that comes here illegally is a criminal.

SuperWatto likes this.
  2. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    changing tactics i see

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  3. Beezer

Jul 5, 2013
    I have quite easily manipulated the two of you into proving the point I have made: "Bigotry" is very much in the eye of the beholder.

SuperWatto likes this.
  4. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
  5. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    excuse me but you're making a huge assumption when you say that rogue and tom are "intelligent people"

Rogue_Ten and tom like this.
  6. Beezer

Jul 5, 2013
    Agreed, but I was giving them the benefit of the doubt for the sake of argument. :D

SuperWatto likes this.
  7. PRENNTACULAR

Dec 21, 2005
    she didn't say that people who came here illegally aren't criminals. she said "it is bigoted to believe Mexicans are criminals (or undocumented immigrants are all rapists".

90% of this thread is you making up **** and then arguing with people about something they didn't say lol

8. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    He edited his post to add "quite easily".

I don't know about you guys but I'm going to like his posts, they're too good.

9. Beezer

Jul 5, 2013
    No one is saying all Mexicans are criminals. However, all Mexicans who come here illegally are criminals by virtue of the silly little fact that, you know, they're here illegally. It's really a tautology, you see.....

It seems we are in agreement regarding the above, so there is no clear reason as to why you are arguing.

SuperWatto likes this.
  10. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
  11. PRENNTACULAR

Dec 21, 2005
    i'm arguing because you keep bringing it up like somebody is in disagreement with you. but literally nobody is. so why did you feel the need to bring it up?

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  12. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    My wife is a business owner who has no easy way to tell whether the people who hire her are gay. I feel she is being discriminated against for not being free to discriminate against gay people the way a cake baker can discriminate. Is it her fault that there's no obvious way for her to implement her religious beliefs vis a vis how she chooses clients? I'm looking for some intelligent person who will disagree with me.

13. Beezer

Jul 5, 2013
    If you actually took the time to read the previous page and subject of discussion, instead of just jumping into a conversation you clearly are not following, you would see that I brought up the idea of advocating for building a wall on the U.S. southern border as an example of something that intelligent people can reasonably disagree on whether or not it is an example of bigotry. The topic evolved naturally from that point, but hopefully this helps clear up for you why I "felt the need to bring it up".

14. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    you're really crushing this beezer.

PRENNTACULAR likes this.
  15. Beezer

Jul 5, 2013
    Yes, well that is a natural consequence when one's vocabulary extends beyond simple statements such as "changing tactics i see" and "lol" :D

16. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
  17. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    The bigotry around the wall-building proposal along the Mexican border is, like all other issues related to policy, the reasoning behind the proposal:

--the assumption that only undocumented immigrants from south of the border are so dangerous that we need an expensive wall to block them.

--comments in support of the wall indicating that we can assume that Mexican undocumented immigrants WILL commit crimes much more violent than crossing a border without filing the paperwork

--rhetoric that is reminiscent of bigotry against Irish and Italian immigrants decades ago. (mranakinfan 's father still heard the "wop" taunt as a child--"wop" means "without papers"--although his father entered legally).

If someone had said, hey, our borders are too open, let's build walls on the Mexican and Canadian sides--there would be fewer bigotry accusations.

18. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    There is indeed a point. The point being that I find it humorous that someone who said "I just don't worry so much about what some of the flawed human beings who have run the Church throughout the years say about how I am supposed to conduct my private affairs" is defending flawed human beings who have run the Church throughout the years saying how others people should conduct their private affairs.

19. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002

lolz puppetmaster.

but seriously, tom and i agree. those policies are bigoted because of their social context. they are not inherently bigoted as policies. there exist non-bigoted reasons for each of them, but, as intelligent people, it is incumbent upon us to examine (1) the context in which they are proposed and (2) the effects which they will have, in determining if the policies are being proposed for bigoted reasons

context, yall

20. Beezer

Jul 5, 2013
    It is not a matter of the individuals being dangerous (even though that is all too frequently the case). Rather, it is a matter of it being bad for the country to allow unfettered access to any and all who want to come. Hence the need for the wall (among other measures) to stem the tide of illegal immigrants.
    You'll have to be more specific. Are we talking about how I personally conduct my private affairs, or are we talking about what I feel the laws of the United States should say relating to how other people should run their private affairs? Please give a specific example so that I may best respond.

As I (sort of) stated before: When you asked me my religion, I was tempted to respond that it is none of your <expletive deleted> business; instead I placed my faith (no pun intended) in you that it was a genuine, sincere question and therefore I gave a genuine, sincere answer. Please don't prove my faith misplaced.

21. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    What is the basis for a Christian refusing services to a gay individual?
    It was a genuine sincere question. I'm strongly opposed to conducting conversations based on flawed premises.

22. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I see.

We need a wall because Mexican undocumented immigrants are dangerous.

Or do you support a wall on the Canadian border and asking Canada to pay for it?

If we are going to block unfettered access, the premise needs to be consistent. A proposal to block unfettered access along the borders of only one country and labeling immigrants from that country as "all too frequently dangerous" is bigotry.

As far as telling people that your religious beliefs are none of our business...you are obviously not obligated to post anything personal here but when about 90 percent of your posts involve e-screaming at the rest of us for being "intolerant" of those who believe that women/nonwhites/LGBTQ people are inferior to white Christian men, you can expect at some point that people will ask why you are so defensive of people who think that way.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  23. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Just as a sort of add-on to this, but that's sort of the point -- the only people who want to ban abortion, for instance, are generally very religious people, mostly Christian and Orthodox Jewish. People who want abortions want the right to say "none of your <expletive deleted> business" to those saying they shouldn't get one.

In a true religious freedom, not imposed by the government, very religious Christians and Orthodox Jews would be free to not avail themselves of abortion services, people whose religion or moral/spiritual guidance did not prohibit them from having an abortion would be free to avail themselves of abortion services, and everyone else would be free to not care.

24. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Nope. Being undocumented is not a crime. There are no criminal penalties for being undocumented. You might as well say double parking is a crime.

25. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    lol who cares what someone's religious beliefs are in the Theist/Atheist thread, amirite?