main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Arena The Theist/Atheist Thunderdome™

Discussion in 'Community' started by Harpua, Jan 29, 2014.

1. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    "Being good" is, again, not what "righteous" means.

2. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    "looks at conversation started by my initial post yesterday"

[​IMG]

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  3. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001

You didn't do it. George Lucas' bad writing and Hayden's bad acting didn't either.

4. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    Don't worry, I'm sure someone will blame this on those things soon enough. ;)

5. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    WDNDSWITTAT

FatBurt likes this.
  6. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Might as well. The usual discussion here is, as usual, ****. And by that I mean more often than not toxic, involving the usual suspects. Which is kind of ironic considering this is a thread that more or less involves spirituality or transcendence from our savage hairless ape nature.

7. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Is that the definition of spirituality?

8. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I don't think that was ever the purpose of this thread. We had several thoughtful ones, including separate atheist and Christianity threads. This one was specifically designed to house loud stupid arguments between partisans that were making other threads unbearable. It is most strident, least informed, most tiring version of theological discussion ever to exist on the JCC. Even after some of the bomb-throwers left, it's still mostly a place where people from both sides vent grievances that don't explicitly but nonetheless cumulatively seem to stand as a sort of unfair and over-extended indictment against the other side. If I was going to try and have a serious discussion, I wouldn't do it here.

Chromide likes this.
  9. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Well, again, that second one is kind of a strawman. It would be more accurate to say "a person who is good because an outside force taught them to be." Or "inspired them to be." Which the raises the question of why the first person wants to be. Influence from outside forces? And even if you're directly told to do something good, don't you also have to want to do so in order to do it? So doesn't the second person in your example also want to be good? It's the same thing: we're all influenced by outside forces as far as building our personal morality - none of us were born kind, loving & compassionate; anyone who's spent any time with young children can tell you that. You don't have to teach children to be rebellious or selfish. And, after those outside forces teach us about morality, we all have to want to be good. You're putting forth a dichotomy that doesn't really exist.

Or, on a second level, that I also find quite compelling, it's a double bind. As Alan Watts likes to say, "You MUST do something that is only valuable if it is done voluntarily." "Thou SHALT love," Jesus says in one scripture. That's something a Zen master would say. "Be spontaneous" is a good example; or "be yourself." So, if God tells us that we MUST be "good," something we can only be if we freely choose to be . . . well, maybe He's actually proving a point, not giving a command.

Just a couple of deeper, more interesting ways to think about the dichotomy you set up there.

10. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002

There is a meta-option here though. That 2nd person might well be like the first person. But I have posted many a religious leader saying without God rape would be ok, and murder would be ok, we are all sinners fromt he get go and would be evil without God. And these leaders have millions of followers.

11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I have no problem with the idea that some people are inspired by Jesus and some Bible verses to be a better person. Jimmy Carter has talked about his faith obligating him to do service work.

It's when it crosses over to the idea that there is NO inspiration to be good without a religious belief, that I call bull****.

To be fair nobody here has said that, not in this particular discussion anyway.

12. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    I think the idea how I've always understood it (and I may be mistaken) isn't that people who aren't Christians are morally repugnant. It's that without God in general we'd all be morally repugnant, and the difference is that supposedly God has imprinted himself on his creation. He created the universe and his grace and power kind of radiate off of it in a sense, and that imprint allows anyone to do good things. So good can still be done by people who aren't necessarily "God's children". But I don't know it "good" can be equated with "salvation", since salvation requires a little extra work.

If we were living in a state of existence without God's implicit presence then that means we would all be a basket of deplorables, but since creation as it is now is under the influence of God, then that's not happening.

When I hear people spout nonsense about people who don't believe in God being inherently evil and backward, I cringe.

13. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Right, I think the idea that all good things flow from God is what some people are trying to express in a kind of sloppy way and I have some sympathy with that perspective. Since I do believe God exists, I can't really put that theory to the test; if you believe God doesn't exist, you believe it already has been and has been disproved. But there's a difference in saying that people wouldn't be good if God didn't exist and saying that people won't be good if they don't believe God exists. The first is a theological idea; the second is an insult.

Jedi Merkurian and WebLurker like this.
  14. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Like I said in my old "Understanding Christianity" thread, "fear of hell" or "greed for heaven" are a plague and completely contrary to what Christianity is supposed to be about, which is "loving God and each other" without motivation for reward but love for doing good and seeing the good and focusing on the good.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  15. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006

nobody be mad pls I have no where else to post this.

16. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    That is pathetic he thinks he needs to push his beliefs on others. It's people like that of every religion that drove out any faith of a God I had.

Reminds me of a recent post my daughter got on fb from another member of the church she goes to. Daughter had posted about us going the a Harry Potter Yule Ball this this guy posts how there is no room for the belief in an way of magic in the lives of good Christians and chastised her for going. We laughed about it and she deleted his post.

17. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    All they needed to do was call mall security. They'll remove him for the disturbance.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  18. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    That pastor just looks like a nasty piece of ****.

19. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Most of all, the premise of that video just reminds me of the "Snape Kills Dumbledore" spoiler on opening night of that Harry Potter book going on sale.

20. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Also, he's in ****ing Texas. Odds are a lot of those families are Christians anyway.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  21. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    The secular-humanist liberals are corrupting our good Christian children with their witchcraft and stuff.

22. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    I love this new trend of the a-holes and psychos actually filming themselves because they're so ******* crazy they think everyone will applaud them for what they're doing. It kind of takes the burden off of bystanders as far as the filming duties go.

23. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Proud to be deplorable!

Chromide likes this.
  24. Chromide

Chromide Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    Yeah.....

25. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007

You know what? THERE IS NO EASTER BUNNY! That guy over there, he's just a guy in a suit!
    [​IMG]

TheAvengerButton likes this.