main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Arena The Theist/Atheist Thunderdome™

Discussion in 'Community' started by Harpua, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    people sell prayers for likes? Social media indulgences?

2. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    oh yeah, that's a good way to find a mechanic who is at least not in your face about their religion. i guess i tend to do that too, but i don't assume they're atheists.

3. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    I just read the previous page thinking it was the Understanding Christianity thread the whole time.
    Time to merge

tom likes this.
  4. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I pray that happens.

Rylo Ken and tom like this.
  5. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    Everyone's an atheist... some are just atheists about 1 more god than others.

My take is that worrying about whether any sort of god or gods exist is a complete waste of time. I'd rather just live my life and enjoy it.

BTW - I don't think wondering about the nature of existence is a waste of time (heck, that kind of makes us human).... but that's a much bigger topic that god/gods

Darth_Voider likes this.
  6. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    A lot of preachers teach tithing like you're paying protection to the mafia. "Pretty nice transmission you got there . . . be a shame if anything . . . happened to it."

7. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011

There's this business review site called Atheist's List, started by a poor single atheist woman who got tired of mechanics shaming her and blaming her engine problems on a lack of faith. One charged her $400 (parts and labor) to hang a cross from her mirror, and another referred to the water leaking from her water pump as Jesus' tears.

8. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    how does atheism come up in a conversation about getting your car serviced? I wouldn't even know how to make that happen. Maybe if I always wore a t-shirt with the words "**** Your Stupid Fake God!" on the front. Which I don't do. Usually.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  9. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    It comes into the conversation for the same reason this thread was originally created. Some people have to bring God into everything.

10. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance .

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  11. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    Mr. Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance just passed away I believe. Don't know if he made the Celebrity Deadpool thread.

gezvader28 likes this.
  12. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    tbf tracy does live in the south.

13. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    you're right , I hadn't heard . Still he reached a ripe old age , RIP Mr. Pirsig .

14. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    There was a Christian knock-off called Prayer and the Art of Volkswagen Maintenance. Never read it, but it's a real thing.

15. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
  16. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Rogue1-and-a-half and Ghost like this.
  17. Chromide

Chromide Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    The religious left call themselves Christian and yet a lot of what they stand for is not what the Bible supports. They're hypocrites.

18. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Yes, unlike the religious Right, who delivered their most definitive vote ever to a serial adulterer who brags about having never asked forgiveness in his whole life. Let alone their advocacy for letting the poor and sick die in the streets.

19. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    This argument is partly responsible for driving people away from Christianity. Quite the opposite of making disciples of all people.

I was raised a Christian and remained one for quite a bit of my adulthood. Being told that I needed to "learn my place" in submission of men, abandon my love of science and the scientific method, and discriminate against LGBTQ people and people of other religions, or be labeled a "hypocrite" and no longer welcome into the faith, was a large catalyst in my decision to walk away. And I am definitely not alone there.

I can feed and clothe the poor and help the needy without the added mandate of ideas that I find cruel and contradictory to the Jesus I understood.

20. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    ur wrong d00d

Ghost likes this.
  21. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    ur wrong d00d

22. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Emperor_Billy_Bob Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 9, 2000
    The Religious Left is actually super good, to be fair

23. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    To be even more fair, both of these groups take their political activism as a starting point, so any number of explanations are often either stupid or strained.

24. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    The only correct solution is to be a religious moderate/centrist/whatever luke is going to be in the next movie.

25. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Political quietism is probably the best option from a religious standpoint, paired with a conservative reading of actual texts.

26. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Emperor_Billy_Bob Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 9, 2000
    In the sense that politics is understood today, yeah probably.