main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Arena The Theist/Atheist Thunderdome™

Discussion in 'Community' started by Harpua, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Emperor_Billy_Bob Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 9, 2000
    Wait, have there been Prots in this thread the whole time?

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I grew up reciting the Nicene Creed in the ELCA Lutheran Church and that church certainly believes in the divinity of Jesus as well as the Trinity, as do Episcopalians.

3. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
  4. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    There are of course outliers-orthodox Anglicans have made a base for themselves in Africa and I believe the only Lutheran church that is growing is the orthodox one.

Orthodox episcopalian formations have been formed recently and so on.

5. a star war

a star war Force Ghost star 5

May 4, 2016
    Why would a Christian not want a one world government? Doesn't that mean Jesus will be back any second?

6. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I'm saying if it ain't repent and turn to Rome then I can't dance to it, baybeh. Fully Manual Excruciating Terrestrial Catholicism.

Christians like to front as teleologists but can't chug the sweet nectar of full accelerationism. It's sad.

7. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  8. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    If you accept Lehayen theology that world government is the government of the anti Christ.

9. a star war

May 4, 2016
    Yeah, which means the end of the world is kicking off. So how is that bad?

10. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Because a lot of people will die and it's not an immediate process. According to dispensationsalists it takes seven years.

I'd still oppose a world government on non-religious grounds-it would be either ineffective in the extreme or tyrannical in a way that could not be imagined.

11. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm not in favor of a world government, just in favor of nations cooperating in a way that is beneficial to everyone. But even that viewpoint gets cries of "globalist" as if that were a bad thing. I certainly do not think the teachings of Jesus take a nationalist "we're going to do what is right for my nation and to hell with everyone else" attitude.

"Lehayen theology"--I assume Tim LeHaye of the Left Behind series?--sounds like a conspiracy theory along the lines of the birther and 9/11 Truther movements as well as "the Earth is flat and the moon landing was fake."

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  12. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Sounds like you're not really committed to "praying that you can hear that trumpet sound soon," then.

a star war likes this.
  13. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    I'd like to see as many people saved as possible you know-I'd rather nobody have to experience the last days. But they will happen whether I want them too or not.

And yes I meant Tim LaHaye.

And not everbody subscribes to his eschatology in any case.

As for me-If I can hear "Well done" "Heaven is open to you" on Judgement day than that will overtake any and all other concerns of mine.

Emperor_Billy_Bob likes this.
  14. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    If that's the case then it is extremely unethical to pray for the end of the world to come sooner as that necessarily truncates the number of people who could be saved. Unless of course you don't actually believe your prayers can accomplish a meaningful change in the timescale of such things, in which case for all your apostasy and heretic talk you're forsaking core parts of your own theology.

15. a star war

May 4, 2016
    Okay so then what is the problem with a one world government again?

You want the end to come quickly and as soon as you're in the gates you stop caring about all the other people that didn't make it. What's the problem?

Ramza likes this.
  16. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Jesus knew he had to die for man's sins yet still prayed to not have to. It's the same principle it is a necessary thing and wonderful once seen in completion but the road to the golden gates is covered with human suffering, untold billions ending up in Hell, and the destruction of the universe as we know it. It is a truly terrifying to contemplate yet still the trumpet blast will bring an end to sin, it will bring an end to persecution, it will be vindication for suffered for their faith, for those who looked at the evening news and thought they couldn't go on much longer. That's what the Trumpet blast is for.

If everyone became a Christian this second the last days would no longer be necessary but as it is they are.

17. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    "Golden Gates covered with human suffering" sounds really sadistic, and it's definitely something a God has a choice about, otherwise he's not the ultimate power in the universe.

Darth_Voider likes this.
  18. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    It must be convenient to subscribe to a religion based on personal responsibility while simultaneously shifting all burden and blame on to others. Frankly it sounds to me like none of you Christians are trying to convert us heathens hard enough - wasting your time on frivolous debates on Star Wars message boards when you could be actively battling for our immortal souls.

19. B3

B3 Chosen One star 6

Jan 21, 2014
    Ugh monotheism.

20. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    According to Saint Paul all is permissible-as it is not all are cut out for missionary work. It's only a calling for some not something for everybody.

Mission work is a wonderful calling but it is not for me.

And who says posting here is frivolous? If me posting here is frivolous than just about any activity a Christian engages in besides Church and paying the bills is frivolous. God is not so restrictive on us.

21. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Nothing says "I'm not shifting responsibility" quite like shifting responsibility. Not that I blame you, if I believed an apocalypse was inevitable due to a lack of people agreeing with me I'd probably go mad with guilt over my lack of persuasive abilities and tendency to waste time arguing on the internet.

22. a star war

May 4, 2016
    My god that's convenient.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  23. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Speaking of the "frivolous" I recall at least two amusing anecdotes-one time my pastor gave a sermon based on Man of Steel and in my Christian high school a senior gave a sermon based on spider man. Anything that is not a sin can be sanctified in any case.

As for responsibility I'm a soft Calvinist on that one-I can't snap my fingers and make everyone believe, and I am content with doing what I am doing now.

24. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    If you truly believe willingness to convert is divinely preordained in a manner consistent with Calvinism then there is no ethical reason to oppose a one world government as the ushering of the apocalypse would occur precisely in line with God's plan and would not impede total conversions. Seems to me you're really just content with whatever ideological stance gets you off the hook.

25. a star war

May 4, 2016
    And also whichever allows you to vote conservative, I guess.