main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Arena The Theist/Atheist Thunderdome™

Discussion in 'Community' started by Harpua, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Amazingly, despite millennia of disagreements about even the tiniest details resulting in countless denominational splits, literally all doctrines precisely conform to being on the American right!

2. a star war

a star war Force Ghost star 5

May 4, 2016
    "The greatest of these is charity" but not, like, enforced charity.

3. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    Jesus was wrong about the apocalypse anyway. He thought it would happen in the lifetime of his generation.

Everyone of his generation died some 1950 years ago. The apocalypse as described in the Bible did not happen then, it has not happened SINCE then, and it will never happen in our future.

Gesendet von meinem SM-J510FN mit Tapatalk

4. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    It's called Futurism. There's Preterism (partial, full), Historicism, Futurism, and Idealism. These are the four major views on eschatology. Lahaye is a futurist.

I'm somewhere in-between futurism and historicism, I guess, but regardless it would probably be less confusing to talk eschatology if we use the right terminology.

5. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    I'm familiar with the terminology-LaHaye is a futurist all the way. I'm somewhat of a futurist but I'll give historicist interpretations a fair hearing.

6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    The sun is a middle-aged star so we've got about five billion years I believe. Someone more versed in astrophysics than I am should feel free to correct me.

Darth_Voider likes this.
  7. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    The cooling of the planet's core and the sun's increased luminosity will make Earth unsuitable for all life in about 1 billion years. Somehow I don't think humanity is going to last anywhere near that long.

8. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Of course, those believing in the 'apocalypse' think that the universe will end with humanity... and most believe that it began with humanity. It's the ultimate form of egotism.

Darth_Voider likes this.
  9. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    What a load of complete and utter bull****.

10. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    ?

Those are based on quotes from Jesus I paraphrased (the complete list was also in that post you quoted) when I read the Gospels together this April.

11. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I was being facetious in order to mock people who are Christians, but don't actually care about any of the things you mentioned there. I agree with you completely actually. That list is actually pretty cool.

12. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Emperor_Billy_Bob Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 9, 2000
    What is the name of the part of Mass where people just straight up start frenching and making out?

13. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    I know, Astronomy is actually a hobby of mine. I was just referring to the apocalypse depicted in the Bible.

Gesendet von meinem SM-J510FN mit Tapatalk

14. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The figures vary somewhat. I've seen 2 billion years rather than 1 billion as the point where Increasing Luminosity becomes a significant problem to Life As We Know it, and 2.8 billion years as the point where all that's left is a few single-celled organisms in very hot pools.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  15. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Indeed. That hippy horse**** really doesn't jive well with what has always been A Lookout For #1 Dog Eat Dog world.

16. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  17. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  18. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    So who's going up the mountain to get another copy?

VadersLaMent likes this.
  19. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Hobby Lobby stole artifacts to set up museum in Washington to tell Middle Eastern history through a strictly Judeo-Christian lens

...and they're busted.

I don't care about the museum, I'm sure it would closely resemble that museum that DarthBreezy and I went to about 13 years ago, one that claimed the Mount St Helens eruption was a sign from God that creationism is real because it was meant to demonstrate that the Grand Canyon could have been formed through active volcanoes.

Geology? We don't need no stinkin' geology. I kept the materials for the LOLz for years. I might still have them somewhere.

Pretty bad when an organization is willing to break the seventh commandment, not to mention potentially funding nefarious groups, for the cause of biased history though.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  20. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    I will turn logical backflips for hours, quote verses out of context for even longer & even flatly ignore verses from all over the Bible in order to win an argument about who exactly the Beast of Revelation is. But that whole thing about how we need to murder gays? THAT VERSE IS NOT TO BE MEDDLED WITH.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  21. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002

Akkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk! I remember that place... *sigh*

Yes, it still exists.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  22. comet1440

comet1440 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 25, 2004
    Haven't read through this thread but my thoughts on this issue are that the human species hasn't yet reached the intelligence level required to answer this question. Both sides are guessing.

23. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    Dude! It's been a while! Have you been posting here and I'm just never in the same thread as you or are you actually returning from an absence? Either way, good to see you again.

24. comet1440

Jan 25, 2004
    Hey what's up. I come here and post occasionally. I might come here more though, not really liking many other forums out there right now. I do remember you. Good to see you as well.

25. a star war

a star war Force Ghost star 5

May 4, 2016
    How's the rapping career going?

26. comet1440

Jan 25, 2004
    I'm a music producer now. I stopped rapping a while ago. I now specialize in audio engineering, sound design, composing and everything related to the field of music production.