main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Arena The Theist/Atheist Thunderdome™

Discussion in 'Community' started by Harpua, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Yeah... gotta go with wocky on that one. You can't judge how "true" his strength is. You know nothing about him. I mean, we know that he is deeply religious, and his faith helps him cope. We know nothing about his strength, though.

2. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Moviefan I'm with Ender on this one. Seek professional help. What if your episodes of depression happen at a much worse interval? You mentioned also that you've attempted suicide after that event too. There is absolutely no shame in seeking a doctor.

V-2 and Darth_Invidious like this.
  3. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Let me also weigh in on the side of harps, Ender and others and say that talking to a mental health professional wouldn't be a bad thing, either. Just as with other sorts of ailments, I think people sometimes fall into a trap of thinking it has to be one thing or another. It doesn't. God is not offended by you talking to humans (or taking medicines) to help you cope, and no professional worth their salt should be offended that you want to seek some solace in religion. Their are even psychiatrists that specifically work from a Christian viewpoint.

If it doesn't work for you, no harm done. But if it helps, your life will be that much richer.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  4. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I'm with Ender on that point, as well... and with wocky on the strength bit. Like I said, there's nothing wrong with utilizing faith to cope, but when combined with professional help, you'll likely be that more successful in finding some sort of "happiness" (I put it in quotes, because happiness is relative and not easy to define).

You can find a Christian psychologist, if you're so inclined. This is probably a good place to start, and you can branch out from there.
    http://christianpsych.org/wp_scp/about-the-society/

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  5. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Completely agree with this. God more than likely would encourage you to seek a health professional.

6. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    Hey, this is the Thunderdome people, no group hugs here..two men enter, one man leaves, you know the rules..no warm fuzzy stuff please. Moviefan has exposed a vulnerability, it is therefore incumbent upon you all to strike and strike hard, no mercy, no quarter, semper fi, oohh ahhh, all that stuff...come on..no hand holding..kill KILL KILL.

V-2, EvilQ, Darth_Invidious and 2 others like this.
  7. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    bust a deal face the wheel

8. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

[​IMG]

V-2 likes this.
  9. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Yeah, but this is MY Thunderdome, and I'm not one to go with the grain... so we can branch off from the killing for a group hug, from time to time. When we're ready, the bloodshed can resume.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  10. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    We could hug each other to death.

11. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
    [​IMG]

harpua likes this.
  12. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

[​IMG]

"Gary Wnu here, reminding you that no WNUs is good WNUs..."

13. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Agreed. I have family members to whom religious faith is very important as a coping mechanism, and I don't begrudge them that. But depression is nothing to fool around with either, especially not on the levels you've described. There is nothing anti-faith about using resources that are available here.

14. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    "This is all going to end in tears! I just know it!"

15. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Religion. It gives people hope in a world torn apart by religion.

V-2 and VadersLaMent like this.
  16. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I read that in the movie announcer "in a world" guy voice.

17. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I heard Morgan Freeman when I read it.

18. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Titty Sprinkles...

mavjade and timmoishere like this.
  19. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Yeah in my defence I had just woken up after a 15 hour buck's party. English me not good.

What I meant when I said faith was a coping mechanism was not that it's invalid; but more in his case it's totally a crutch that's propping him up. He talks about doubt threatening to erode his faith but since he's made his faith the foundation of his being the whole scenario looks like a house of cards preparing to square off against a fan.

I don't doubt faith provides strength, comfort, and vitality; but here I worry it's a bandaid on a severed limb.

V-2 and anakinfansince1983 like this.
  20. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Yeah... a lot of people do this sort of thing, though. I do agree that he'd be better off combining the coping mechanism with professional help. I guess his crutch is relatively safer than a lot of other crutches. You don't hear about somebody drinking too much god and running over a child, or shooting so much god into their veins that they overdose and die.

Envoy of Solanus likes this.
  21. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    yeah, unstable people never commit unthinkable acts in the name of god.

V-2, Zapdos, timmoishere and 3 others like this.
  22. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Hey, I'm not defending religious fanaticism. I know it can be incredibly dangerous.

23. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    yeah, i know. just sayin' the guy is hearing voices telling him to do stuff. doesn't sound all that safe to me.

V-2 likes this.
  24. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

As long as it's not his dog, really...

Point Given likes this.
  25. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Agreed... the guy could definitely benefit from therapy and possibly medication.

V-2 likes this.