main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Arena The Theist/Atheist Thunderdome™

Discussion in 'Community' started by Harpua, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    Yeah, really, timmo, if you're going to start saying that a belief position is a natural, which is to say ordained by nature or an inevitable consequence of being a skeptic and freethinker, then all due respect you're sounding as daft as the bootstrap levitationist Christians who say the Earth was created by God because the Bible says so.

Y'all need some Gnosticism. It's a much cooler use of the consonants and vowels that are being whipped into place by the 'A' in agnosticism.

2. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    People really need to re-familiarize themselves with the Disallowed Words List, and that includes quoting posts with those words.

3. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    There are obsessives on all sides of the argument.

Timmo, I've known a few humanists in my time and not one of them would describe themselves as anti-theist. I think you pulled your Yoda-like natural consequence truism from your ...anus (is that allowed?).

4. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Yep, I'd agree with that, V-2. Anti-theist implies -- and this may just be terminology that anti-vaccers have co-opted because they hold their beliefs in spite of proof -- that even if there were proofs of G-d's existence they'd disbelieve it any way.

I'm not sure that's the intent, but almost none of the secular humanists I know would think that way.

5. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    does it? ive always taken anti-theist to mean it the way hitchens described it when applying it to himself - that even if god did exist (and i believe he was referring specifically to the christian version here), he would not be worthy of worship but rather opposition and scorn for all the nasty **** he gets up to in the bible and in the very totalitarian nature of the universe god's existence would imply (hitchens was fond of referring to heaven as a "celestial north korea")

Arawn_Fenn and V-2 like this.
  6. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    That may be, Rogue -- as I said, it may be a terminology thing.

7. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I always thought the best burn he ever got off was when he referred to it as a "theme park." That's just simple enough to be devastating. And the way he said it was amazing.

Rogue_Ten likes this.
  8. DT421

DT421 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2003
    I told some of my Southern Baptist co-workers about this particular story about Iceland that I was reading on the BBC yesterday - http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-27907358

The basic of it:
    "Plans to build a new road in Iceland ran into trouble recently when campaigners warned that it would disturb elves living in its path. Construction work had to be stopped while a solution was found."

And needless to say they were all getting a big laugh out of it. They don't seem to believe in elves. Found it foolish. I asked them why. They all thought that these Icelandic elves were merely imaginary - not real. Again, I asked why. They stated that there was no proof of their existence and that they should just go ahead and build the road.

I pointed out their hypocrisy after asking for proof of their god. They stated something about "undermining faith by providing proof" blah, blah, blah...

They stopped laughing. They subject wasn't funny any longer.

9. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    If there is a god, and its portrayal in the Bible is at all accurate, we owe it to ourselves to hunt it down and kill it before it can cause anymore damage. It is a petty, cruel, vicious and vindictive tyrant who demands absolute worship and will not tolerate disobedience.

It is therefore the responsibility of every thinking and moral human being to distance one's self as far as possible from this monster.

10. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
  11. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

If that G-d was accurate, then good luck with that to you! :p

12. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    And how're we supposed to kill the mother****** yo? He's like, supposed to be all powerful and ****.

Arawn_Fenn likes this.
  13. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    And not only it but its followers as well. let's get all of its followers together in a sort of prison and destroy them as well.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  14. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    Awesome, really cool we followed up a few pages of metaphysical and epistemological discussion with the conclusion we should load up our six guns and shoot god.

15. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

To be fair, wasn't that basically the plot summary of HIs Dark Materials trilogy?

16. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    Yeah but that was a knife, yo, it's totally different!

dp4m likes this.
  17. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Okay, keep me posted on your progress on that one, dude.

18. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000

[​IMG]

Let me get this straight: you think your god, who your Bible proposes as the creator of the entire universe, is also capable of instituting genocide, rains of fire, and plagues with a snap of his heavenly fingers. And your plan is to hunt down and kill this person?
    Good luck.

19. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    The Klingons killed all their gods. We'd only have one to deal with.

Darth Guy likes this.
  20. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006

21. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Worked for this guy.

[​IMG]

Rogue_Ten likes this.
  22. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    [​IMG]
    I see no problems here.

23. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    So, the UK has banned teaching creationism in their schools.

Since God appointed Elizabeth II as regent, then we can only conclude creationism and intelligent design upset god. Right Anakin Solo Revanchist

timmoishere likes this.
  24. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
  25. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Ugh, Mencken. Spend the US$2-3 or time at your local library to pick up the Kaufmann translation, it hasn't been ****ed with by Nietzsche's Nazi sister.

tom likes this.