main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Arena The Theist/Atheist Thunderdome™

Discussion in 'Community' started by Harpua, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    yes, I've read it, though some time ago.

I am however not willing to click into your anus

link above.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  2. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    definitely the kaufmann translation. it is really good though, one that you'll keep coming back to.

Rogue_Ten, harpua and Ender Sai like this.
  3. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I'm pretty sure that's the one I have (Kaufmann translation, I mean). I didn't know this link was a different translation. How did his sister **** it up, Ramza?

Rogue_Ten likes this.
  4. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Admittedly I haven't read much in terms of pre-Kaufmann translations of Nietzsche specifically to avoid said ****ing up (Wikipedia would seem to indicate that The Antichrist was relatively unscathed, albeit with some passages removed - although I would perhaps cite that line from Amadeus about cutting notes) but in general she tended to selectively delete passages from his works to remove anything critical of German nationalism, antisemitism, etc. - for example, you might have passages criticizing Judaism left intact, whereas a passage immediately following it about how only hypocritical ignoramuses are antisemitic would end up expunged. Playful elements were also deleted from his texts in order to make him seem more scholarly. Probably her most infamous hackjob is The Will to Power, because that was a bunch of selectively compiled and altered fragments that were allegedly written by Nietzsche, but was then pushed hard by the Nietzsche archives - which she controlled, because of course she did - as his definitive work.

And those are merely textual sins. She actively campaigned for and promoted erroneous interpretations of his pre-existing works for the express purpose of making them compatible with Naziism, basically to make him a philosophical idol of the movement and later regime for her own benefit, or as I'm cynically going to refer to it, "pulling a Heidegger." She did so much damage to Nietzsche's public perception that it took a concentrated effort from Kaufmann and several other scholars to make him academically acceptable, and publicly he's still got a stigma associated with him.

tl;dr - The only good thing Elisabeth Förster-Nietzsche ever did was start an archive that accidentally wound up undermining her own goals after she was dead.

5. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Traditiooooooon, TRADITION. Tradition!

I guess it doesn't quite work in text, but I just couldn't believe no one else went there.

Anyway, carry on.

6. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Well, to be fair, I can't imagine most of the atheists going immediately to a musical about traditional Jewish peasant farmers even if the exact story is pretty much exactly what they want including the persecution of Jews for believing in their faith! :p

(although, to be fair, I'm also pretty sure they wouldn't immediately go to "... who are you, what have you sac-ri-fiiiiiiiced" when saying Jesus Christ aloud...)

mavjade likes this.
  7. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I've actually been trying to keep Fiddler out of my mind ever since high school, because I was in the orchestra and we had to provide the musical accompaniment for the school's production thereof. Dozens upon dozens of rehearsals later I still battle with every single song getting stuck in my head.

And then you go and mention "Tradition." Screw you guys.

mavjade and Darth_Invidious like this.
  8. study888

study888 Force Ghost star 4

Jul 16, 1999
    The Inspired Version (Joseph Smith Translation) of the Bible and the Book of Doctrine and Covenants. Also early Catholic tradition.

9. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    yah kaufmann's the shizz. anyone read his nietzsche bio? i havent got to it yet but its sitting on my shelf and im told its a trip. dude died talking to a horse :p

harpua likes this.
  10. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Yeah.... he was nuts, but so brilliant. The guy spent the last of his days playing piano in a brothel, writing philosophy books, and going nuts from syphilis... beautiful.

Rogue_Ten likes this.
  11. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    Don't talk about Henry VIII that way!

12. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I've been reading Safranski's on and off; it's a pretty entertaining ride.

13. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    we just did a book club at my church on Why I'm Not a Christian by Bertrand Russell. Any of you guys read it? There were a couple things I liked in it, but overall I thought he did a really quality job of destroying the strawmen he built up, and that was about it.

14. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    If it's not an almost arcane mess of symbols it's not a Russell lecture I want to read.

Edit: I mean, I haven't read the essay in question, but I've read his take on Kantianism and a paper discussing the ordinary language philosophy movement, and the impression I get is that he was not terribly good at arguing against contrary positions.

15. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
  16. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    **** me. Not only can't you draw stick figures of Mohammad, now you can't say the word "Allah" if you're not a Muslim. Didn't think those clowns took the Second Commandment that seriously. I vote we all start referring to Allah as "Ni" to avoid drawing the ire of the Malaysian jihad.

17. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    BRING ME A SHRUBBERY!

18. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    AND THEN CUT DOWN THE TALLEST TREE IN THE FOREST WITH A HERRING!!

19. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Well.

My mother is a Christian from South Asia who says Allah all the time. Better tell her to pack it up.

20. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Yeah, could you Vivec? Don't want to upset KL.

21. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    That is one bizarre ruling.

22. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    Seems like a flimsy compromise between the Silly and Sensible parties. Maybe the Slightly Silly party split the Silly vote.

23. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  24. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004

25. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    biggest laugh: "smirked quite Jewishly."