main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Arena The Theist/Atheist Thunderdome™

Discussion in 'Community' started by Harpua, Jan 29, 2014.

1. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    wocky i think he meant unite.

ender, that makes sense. i agree!

2. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    No it doesn't. It's not true at all. In the first place "tribal" identity can be fluid and open to redefinition. Even holding to traditional definitions, though, it still doesn't work well. It was appeals to the their common tribal heritage that allowed the "treaty" and "non-treaty" Nez Perce Indians to cooperate with one another, despite having very different lifestyles and religions at that point.

3. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    yeah you and Vivec have made this comment...

You realise most Russians, and I, are lily white, right?

I get that you guys just don't have the vocab for your words but bigotry, wholesale disdain, and racism aren't the same things.

4. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

What Prenn said. Probably rush-typing at work.

5. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    I guess the Nazis weren't racist against Slavs...

V-2 likes this.
  6. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
  7. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Jesus Christ, Vivec. Seriously. Have you thought about learning about things other than physics at the adult level? It's people like you who call every mass killing "genocide" too, as if the sheer Care Factor in their heart is the most crucial thing.

The UN has, for practical considerations, conflated racial and ethnic discrimination into one definition so it can better issue guidance on avoiding the topic; that does not mean they are the same thing. Next you'll be telling me that English people are racist towards the Irish?

Honestly. You're wasting so much damned potential with a languid, 10th grader understanding.

8. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    The English are racist towards the Irish, and rightly so. :p :p :p

9. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Guys, you're being silly. There's a reason we don't call picking on Jews racism but anti-Semitism. There's defined terms for things. Racism would require me to be disparaging towards someone who is not white. Race =/= ethnicity, and if both your vocabulary and understanding is challenged by this assertion maybe grown-up topics aren't for you.

10. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    So you're a bigoted ***hole, just not a racist ***hole?

V-2 likes this.
  11. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Ender, really? If a black person makes a joke about Obama being an ape, they aren't being racist?

On the broader subject, race isn't an objective classification. As you are well aware, in years bygone Europe was considered to have a number of different predominant/indigenous "races" in its various parts, because the idea that all "Caucasians" were the same didn't really hold. The Slavs were among the last European groups to be accepted as white. To this end, if someone suspected you were bigoted, it would be in line with such bigotry to insist on the older typology that held there was a fundamental "racial" difference, rendering the term appropriate.

V-2 likes this.
  12. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    Speciest, perhaps. :D

13. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    [​IMG]
    NO THAT IS OUR WORD YOU CAN'T USE IT

Saintheart likes this.
  14. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

Yes in the same way you're hopelessly a child with everything but physics.

Sorry, Vivec, but I have friends in Holland affected by the plane being shot down, and as I actually have a conscience and don't just pretend to have one so I fit the trendy political archetype I cannot in good conscience downgrade my views on Russia. They are people who only seem content when oppressed under the heel of a tyrant and who can be relied upon, more often than not, to engage in acts of extraordinary cruelty where it's not required.

How many Serbs do you know, Vivec? None. Well you may know Serbs had that whole ethnic cleansing thing going on (which, accordingly to your infantile understanding WAS RACIST!!1! cleansing because you're intellekshul) in the 90s? It did, trust me. Guess which nation takes the side of the Serbs and insists it wasn't "as bad" and was instigated by the Bosnians? Russia.

After the widespread support of Putin, of antagonising the West, and of homophobia in Russia you'd think you would object. You might object to the way they bully their neighbors. But, no, you can't criticise anyone except the ones for whom it's fashionable to bash, lest someone note that you don't have any convictions politically, you just follow what you think is the preferred route to being seen as a Progressive Intellectual.

Wocky, I would strongly argue against the scenario you described involving Mr Obama as racist. Racism, properly, involves a combination of power and prejudice. It has to have an implied dichotomy between the racist and his/her target (it's a form of othering). I appreciate lightweights like Vivec have diluted it's use, but that doesnt' change a thing. My Dutch family and friends always tell jokes about the Germans. Germans tell jokes about the Dutch. Vivec would have a heart attack with all this non-trendy progressive racism between two GERMANIC TRIBES.

Hey, Vivec, this is a really racist joke:

A Dutch man sees a man on his knees using his hand to drink water from one of Amsterdam’s canals. He walks up to him and says in Dutch “Hey – you can’t drink that water, it’s dirty and will make you sick!”
    The tourist shouts back in German: “Was sagen Sie?“
    The Dutch man responds in German: “Sie sollen mit zwei haende trinken, das geht besser!”

Or how about this one - copper wire was invented when two Dutch people found 1 cent and argued over who should keep it! Geddit? They're cheap!

SO RACIST.

Seriously, you're not an idiot, but you do a damned fine impression of one.

15. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    This thread is so dumb. P

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Revious Nugo and V-2 like this.
  16. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    Thunderdome = one dum thred

17. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    But as this is the only place that Stupid Sexy Movieflanders can post about his cult, it should be a laugh a minute.
    [​IMG]

Right?

18. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

Dumb-derdome, Prenntecost?

19. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Even the theists are implicitly assuming a necessary connection to some sort of religion for all arguments so really, what else was it going to be?

I could pretend to convert to ultra weak deism? Hey folks, there's a god and it's functionally indistinguishable from the universe without god because it is a totally transcendent entity. I don't even have to make assumptions about the ontology of truth to get it. PROVE ME WRONG.

20. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    The Babel Fish.

21. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    The Babel Fish is fully compatible with my metaphysics, for truly only a totally transcendent being inaccessible via any of our faculties could both exist and not exist simultaneously.

Ender Sai likes this.
  22. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    "Oh, I hadn't thought of that," says Saintheart, and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic.

V-2, timmoishere and Ramza like this.
  23. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Did you tell Diggy your real name is Blackheart?

24. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    Shhhh, I'm waiting for the most opportune moment to tag him into the RPF.

25. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Don't be that guy. Seriously.

Saintheart likes this.