main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Arena The Theist/Atheist Thunderdome™

Discussion in 'Community' started by Harpua, Jan 29, 2014.

1. slightly_unhinged

slightly_unhinged Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    and all his little wizards

[​IMG]

jedinightwing likes this.
  2. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    OH! It's a scythe!

slightly_unhinged likes this.
  3. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
  4. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    Only available to the United States? :(

5. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    Did you just imply that holding degrees and/or a diploma is some sort of indemnification against close minded intolerance?

Thank you. I haven't had this good of a laugh in several days. Great way to wrap up a Friday afternoon.

6. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
  7. Beezer

Jul 5, 2013
    Not if Mohammed gets to you first!

8. slightly_unhinged

slightly_unhinged Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    Crom laughs at your effeminate Jesus and his special friend mohammad.

9. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Crom! Love it when Arnie finds his tomb. I love that movie! The first one! Second one was good but nowhere near the epicness of the first.

And the DVD has one of the single best commentary tracks of all-time with Arnie and Milius sitting there watching the movie, smoking stogies and drinking.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  10. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

No, not at all. However, since tertiary education generally is as much about how to think as it is about the basic tenets of a certain discipline, you'll find a correlation between critical and analytic thought and a tendency not to embrace conservatism. Similarly, you find those who didn't receive the benefit of education don't generally do as well in the critical thinking department.

Look at the concentration of the most vicious and fundamentalist religious doctrines - they are in areas where education levels are typically lower. Why do you suppose people cling to hate and primitive superstition? Could be it because they don't know any better?

11. Beezer

Jul 5, 2013
    And yet you used it as a defense of your own behavior. So, in other words, you feel that higher education is an example of open mindedness in people who agree with things you say, but not an example of open mindedness in people who disagree with what you say.
    I don't know; you'd have to ask a Muslim that question.

12. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I'm willing to debate intelligent people who hold those views. For example, Wocky and Prenn are both Christians. They're just not conservatives, because they're not scared of the unknown.

13. Beezer

Jul 5, 2013
    Well I am a fiscal conservative and a social liberal, so I neither know nor care whether that makes someone a "conservative" in your narrow minded book of pre-labeling those with whom you disagree. I tend to think religion falls more into social policy than fiscal policy but to each their own.

14. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    If all Christians were like those who write for Sojourners or Patheos, it would be easier to believe that their religion is one of love and tolerance and have conversations with them.

I definitely appreciate Wocky and Prenn, and Rogue 1.5.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  15. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001

Libertarian! That would be the general label anyway.

16. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Nooooooooooo... there are actual people who hold to the above without being libertarian, thanks.

17. Beezer

Jul 5, 2013
    Yes I agree that's the general label, but it certainly doesn't imply that I agree with everything a libertarian would believe in, or that I would support, like, a pure-libertarian platform. I mean, we do need government for some things.

18. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    What do we need government for?

19. Beezer

Jul 5, 2013
    I'd say we need it for things like to establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity.

That and roads. We need the government to build roads.

20. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    What does promote the general welfare mean here?

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  21. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    I'm still trying to figure out what insure domestic tranquility means. Alcohol does that, not the gubment.

22. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Field Marshal Welfare.

23. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I've always especially admired the perspectives of solojones and Rogue1.5. While he's of a different faith, Merkurian brings a viewpoint to religious discussions that I always enjoy as well. Lord of Vivec is still a pretty good commentator on these issues too, though it's somewhat hard to describe his position neatly.

24. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Where does my bacon-eating Jewishness fit in, Jabbawockydo?

25. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    [face_plain]