main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Thing... no ordinary survival horror.

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by SoloCommand, Aug 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    I really, really, really, really, really need to bring this game up.

It's being developed by 'Computer Artworks', the London based company behing 'Evolva'.
    And published by Universal Interactive studios and masters of stealth, and not survival horror (that would be Capcom), Konami.

Anyone who's a big fan of the Thing, will know a little of the backstory, originally called 'Who Goes There' the thing was made into a movie back in the fiveties. And then it was remade into the Carpenter film of 1982 that we all know and love today.

But onto the game...

[image=http://www.artworks.co.uk/images/thinglogo_tm.jpg]

'The Thing' is based on the 1982 Carpenter Film of the same name, set after the film you play the commander of a military search and rescue team, sent into the antartic base, sheer hours after the events of the film. You soon find all is not well in this desolate place, and soon realise, that you're not alone...

[image=http://www.artworks.co.uk/images/thing/screenshot1_sm.jpg]

[image=http://www.artworks.co.uk/images/thing/peek1_lg.jpg]

The Thing can manifest itself as members of your squad, suspicion is of the highest order, you might think they could be one of them, They could think that you are one of them. The Thing brings new light into the field of survival horror by introducing a 'Trust and Fear' system, your team mates will react to what's happening around them, some being sick at the sight of a mutilated corpse, some wetting themselves, some even comitting suicide...
    The idea of trust in the unit is paramount, as anyone could be The Thing, loyalties are frayed, people can become a little crazy, blood tests can be ordered, squad members can turn on each other...

[image=http://www.artworks.co.uk/images/thing/peek6_lg.jpg]

I'm getting excitied about this game, it's headed to the PC, X-Box and PS2.

You can find out about it at the Computer Artworks site.

2. DUM-4

DUM-4 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 19, 1999
    When exactly was the fiveties? :p I've been interested in this game. However I still haven't completed any of the RE games or Silent Hill 2.

3. Connemara

Connemara Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 18, 2000
    Sigh...yet another game to add to my list of "games I woudl buy if I didn't have an antique computer" :S

4. tenorjedi

tenorjedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 17, 2000
    Get an Xbox, and turn the frown upside down. :)

This game looks incredibly interesting. I saw some clips on gamespot and it looks cool. I like a game that will keep you guessing who your enemy is.

5. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    ...well, i'm about 3 hours into "The Thing" (on PS2)..

If you're a fan of survival horror, odds are you WILL enjoy this game..Best one i've played since the original "Silent Hill"..You'll actually feel your heart pounding as you find your self backing down a hallway, machine gun blazing as one of your squadmates (who has just turned out being "A Thing") charges after you..

The whole squad-aspect is intriguing, as is the 'trust' system (although after a short time, you learn sure-fire ways to 'gain' the trust of your comerades quite easily)

I'm REALLY enjoying this game..

6. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    I feel my heart pounding whether or not I"m playing a game. Perhaps it has something to do with the copious amounts of red meat I consume.

7. Drew_Atreides

Apr 30, 2002
    Haha, Mastadage :)

(Funny, though, that's exactly what "The Thing" said, too!)

8. AWB1989

AWB1989 Jedi Master star 5

Jul 3, 2002
    I'm gonna buy this game in a while, after I get some other games like clone wars and bounty hunter and stuff.

9. Vezner

Vezner Force Ghost star 5

Dec 29, 2001
    Sounds like a cool game. Especially since I just started playing AVP2. I have to admit that I am in love with this game since I have been a big fan of the Aliens series for a long time. Anyway I have been on the edge of my seat on more then one occasion while playing this game at night. It is SOOOO freaky. I want Primal Hunt now...real bad. :D

10. son_of_the_tear

son_of_the_tear Jedi Master star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    I'm picking this up for my Xbox this week. Comes out on Wednesday.

Damn, why are so many good games coming out?

Drains my wallet.

Want to pick up Dead to Rights, Shenmue 2, Toe Jam and Earl 3, Buffy, Crimson Sea, Project Ego...

And on tp of that, want to pick up Crazy Taxi 3, Dead or Alive 3, Omnishua...

11. Drew_Atreides

Apr 30, 2002
    well...stick a fork in it, cause "The Thing" is done..

That's right, i just, moments ago, conquered this game..

Twas quite a fun ride, although to say that the final boss was a bit underwhelming would be an understatement (although GETTING to him was a pain in the butt)..

Good game.. If you can get your hands on it, i recommend it...

Now to focus my concentration completely on "Mario Sunshine".....At least until NHL 2K3 and Robotech come out...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.